Start by marking “Catastrophe” as Want to Read:
Catastrophe

Catastrophe

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  327 ratings  ·  48 reviews
With FLEECED, their June 2008 attack on Barack Obama, congressional corruption, liberal tax policies, teachers unions, and much more, political analysts Dick Morris and Eileen McGann scored their biggest bestseller ever-debuting at #2 on the New York Times bestseller list and riding high on the list for eight weeks and counting. Thanks to massive, continual exposure on The ...more
Published June 23rd 2009 by Harper (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Catastrophe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catastrophe

Anthony Faber
This was written in 2009 and predicts all sorts of horrible things that Obama will bring about. Remember the rampaging inflation the stimulus caused? He predicted it. I do think that some of his complaints are valid, but they're often the result fo Obama being, like a majority of Republicans and Republicans, a corpratist rather than a socialist. On Obamacare, he starts out well, pointing out that doctors & nurses aren't so underutilized that assing millions of new patients won't gum up the w ...more
Adam Ross
A decent book. Morris, a former Clinton White House advisor turned to conservatism after witnessing the shameful deeds done by the Clinton administration. This book got shrill though. It has a lot of good information in it, good bi-partisan criticism of our elected officials on both sides of the isle, and shows how both parties are compromised by corruption, underhanded dealings, and so forth (Bush and Cheney funneled money into their oil buddies - but Obama's doing the same thing, etc.). Lots o ...more
Lillie
I already knew about most of the issues in the book, but I learned a lot more about them from the detailed data provided. There were two things that I didn't realize that are appalling.

Many corporations have Islam advisory boards to help the company do business according to Sharia law. In the United States, American law should prevail. The book includes specifics about companies and the advisors they use, some of whom are known terrorists.

Post-traumatic stress disorder is a major problem for vet
Becky
This was a very informative read. Morris tends to be "over the top" when it comes to predicting the consequences of the current political trends....but he does a great job of explaining the history behind various economic philosophies and how they've worked in the past. He has also done his research when commenting on public figures like Chris Dodd and various "stealth lobbyists."

Some chapters are more valuable than others but overall it's a good read for anyone who wants to be up to date on wh
Joe
These one-word title conservative tv/radio pundit quickies all have that same made-in-ten-days quality. The first part of this book is an excellent discourse on the failure of Keynesian economics, and the myth of FDR and how he actually prolonged the depression. But after that, to stretch it out into a book, the author just throws sundry articles in ranging as far away as our moral responsibilty for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

From now on I'll probably avoid titles like *Screwed* and *Cowa
Ruthanne
I only gave two stars because to say I "liked" the book would be akin to enjoying horror movies before bed. If even half of what Dick Morris predicts comes to pass (and I can see the wheels moving in that direction), it will be a sad day for this country. Our freedoms and liberties are at stake and the older I get the more libertarian I become. Government has its place, to work for the people that elected them, not to run private businesses or tell me how to live my life or raise my children. Ov ...more
Alicia
Politics for me is very confusing and frustrating, but this book helped me understand better the current issues our country is going through. For instance, I always hear that big government is bad, but I had never understood why. Dick Morris explained so clearly the consequences and reasons behind the concepts. I found it extremely helpful! He was actually a political adviser for Bill Clinton for 20 years, but most of his views seem to be Republican. I'm a novice at all this political stuff but ...more
Morris
The facts are interesting, what percentage of tax revenue comes from the top 1, 5 and 25% of tax payers. How the federal government and the fed encouraged, even in some cases put quotas on easy loans to help more people get into houses. How members of congress took/take favors from people who do business with the government. But then he interprets it all as a deliberate conspiracy by Pres. Obama to start class warfare and move the US into socialism. I agree that Obama wants to increase the size ...more
Rachel
At first, the title sounds like overblown alarmism. But a brief perusal of the content will quickly convince any concerned reader that Dick Morris has chosen this title appropriately and purposefully. Morris reads like a modern historian, laying out the facts of our current political climate in meticulous detail (everything is highly referenced for those who want to double-check his sources).

Unlike those who merely whine about "how bad things are", Morris gives practical solutions and an urgent
Carol
This book gets two stars from me partly because much of the stockpile of statitistical information was a little beyond my political scope and attention span. I have always found Dick Morris's TV persona to be very personable and funny, but that does not come across in this book nor was it probably intended to I suppose. May be Eileen does the writing and he consults..So anyways, the book focuses on the grim and albeit hopeless financial crises in America, how we got here, secret deals that were ...more
S.B. Lerner
I'm sure my left-wing liberal friends will cringe, but this book is like a course in economics, so far. He traces the history of the tax laws and describes various economic philosophies, and the wedge he sees Obama's policies driving between taxpayer groups, and away from personal responsibity and sharing the burden. It's well-written with lol funny parts just in the way he phrases things. Very readable, and full of facts (all the spending projects of the stimulus bill are included, ie.) Thought ...more
Bruce
Jan 24, 2015 Bruce rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Bruce by: Lisa Hawks
I am enjoying this book. Dick provides lots of facts, figures and data to support his positions and his explanations of what politicians are doing to try and make this country into what they think it should be. I'm sure some have sincere motives, but I fear many don't. We should be able to learn from the experiences of Europe but instead we seem dead set on repeating the things that have bankrupted Greece, Iceland and will soon bankrupt others. Good book.
Debby
Sep 23, 2009 Debby rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everone
The contents of this book, all easily verified by simple searches, is a mind-blowing, easy to read account of the radicalism of the Obama administration and how his policies are destroying whatever savings and investments we manage to have by causing never before heard of federal debt and by growing the federal government and solidifying his own power. it also delineates the Obama lies (easily verified), and predicts what is in store for a weakened USA.
Mike
I've always loved Dick Morris's researching, even though he's an ardent conservative (which could bias his writing, but doesn't). He provides telling insight, pulling no punches as he rakes Republicans and Democrats over the coals. What I like the most, though, is his constant use of actual reported, documented facts, statistics, and numbers.

Anyone interested in current events and politics would do well to read Dick Morris.
Martin Gall
Dick Morris was a player in the Clinton administration. But he has seen the light and has put together a good argument as to why the current administration does not have the best interests of the country at heart. On the contrary, they have a certain view on how the country should be taking care of everyone and redistributing the wealth. This book is insightful and thought provoking. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Holly Foley (Procida)
Politically I like to be a little more optimistic than this doom and gloom view of Obama's presidency. Not saying I would have given him the peace prize yet, but Dick Morris would sure like to bury all hope here. I take all of these political extreme books with a grain of salt. There were many interesting points brought out, particularly about health care and special interest groups.
Alee Hofman
Aug 13, 2009 Alee Hofman rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: older people; like smart high school grads & +
Recommended to Alee by: dick morris
I only got to around page 100, because i couldn't understand the big words anymore. what i did read and understood was great...i just don't think the book was written for a 15 year old. bought it at borders, and gave it to my uncle. i love dick morris on fox news..he has really good dialouge live...but in book writing, i can't understand much.
Chris Ross
A pretty good book. I liked the call to action items. I believe the book was one sided even though I like what is said I believe both parties are out of touch with the American people and care only about re-election, power, and helping those that donate to their campaigns. We need to do away with money in politics and vote the incumbents out.
Karl Tenney
Must read. This book clearly states not only what I disagree with, but more importantly WHY I disagree with every single thing this man wants to do. This isn't just a disagreement about policy, this is the future of our country and I will not give in. Obama must be stopped.
Andy
First half of this book was great....informative, insightful, and intriguing. The second half read more like an Economics class textbook. I'm sure that excites some people, but not really me. Overall just an average book, and I expected a little more from Dick Morris.
Valerie Luckie
Nov 16, 2009 Valerie Luckie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone especially those who are concerned wuth the direction the country is heading.
Dick Morris and his wife are excellent writers. The book is to the point and not written in legalese but plain english. In it they describe what is happening to our country and what we hopefully can do to get it out of this mess.
Nadine
Morris gives concrete examples of shenanigans that are going on in both political parties. He offers alternatives of how we can let our voice be heard to let representatives know just what we want. Quick read that's an eye-opener.
Jim Grasley
Dick Morris tells it like it is and it's not a pretty picture. How our government and special interests are transforming . . . a slump into a crash, freedom into socialism, and a disaster into a Castastrophe . . . and how to fight back.
Carla
I've always kind of liked Dick Morris ... not sure I agree that things are quite as dire as he claims in this book, but he does make a lot of good points. It will be interesting to see what the next three years bring.
Ger
One more source that Americans can turn to for what is happening to our country. It isn't good and we had better wake up and fight back or we won't have a democratic republic any longer. A must read!
Michael
If you don't want to read the entire book, just make sure you look at the chapters regarding Chris Dodd and Ted Kennedy's kid. No big surprise but you'll enjoy reading about the debauchery.
Ernie Dawson
This book is somewhat depressing but at least it let's you know who Obama has surrounded himself by. It also puts on the table seminal issues which "we the people" can get involved with.
Colin Bendell
Technically I didn't finish. This is just more of the same tea bagging, RNC, party of no drivel. I couldn't get past the first chapter without my blood boiling.
Jason
Feb 02, 2010 Jason added it
I did not enjoy this book, even though much of it I could agree with. It is not a book designed to help anyone think. It comes across as a propaganda piece.
Mark Wagner
Edgicational... (NO, that is not a typo)
Good Primer for the Low Information Voter
Should be mandatory reading for all Americans and new "Immigrants"...
  • A Slobbering Love Affair: The True (And Pathetic) Story of the Torrid Romance Between Barack Obama and the Mainstream Media
  • Culture of Corruption: Obama and His Team of Tax Cheats, Crooks, and Cronies
  • Guilty: Liberal "Victims" and Their Assault on America
  • Deliver Us from Evil: Defeating Terrorism, Despotism, and Liberalism
  • The Obama Diaries
  • The Enemy Within: Saving America from the Liberal Assault on Our Churches, Schools, and Military
  • Arguing with Idiots: How to Stop Small Minds and Big Government
  • 48 Liberal Lies About American History
  • Unfit For Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry
  • Pinheads and Patriots: Where You Stand in the Age of Obama
  • New Deal or Raw Deal?: How FDR's Economic Legacy Has Damaged America
  • Righteous Indignation: Excuse Me While I Save the World!
Dick Morris, the President of Vote.com, was President Clinton's chief strategist and advisor in the 1996 campaign. He has handled the campaigns of a large number of American politicians including Trent Lott, William Weld, Pete Wilson and a whole lot of others. He's now a commentator on the Fox News Channel and writes a weekly column in the New York Post. He has written four recent books: Behind th ...more
More about Dick Morris...
Fleeced: How Barack Obama, Media Mockery of Terrorist Threats, Liberals Who Want to Kill Talk Radio, the Do-Nothing Congress, Companies That Help Iran, and Washington Lobbyists for Foreign Governments Are Scamming Us...and What to Do About It Outrage: How Liberals, Congress, Unions, Drug Companies, Big Oil, Banks, Lobbyists, Corporations, the United Nations, the World Bank, the INS, the TSA, and the Democratic Party Are Ripping Rewriting History Because He Could Screwed!