Start by marking “Gravitation” as Want to Read:
Gravitation

Gravitation

This landmark text offers a rigorous full-year graduate level course on gravitation physics, teaching students to:
• Grasp the laws of physics in flat spacetime
• Predict orders of magnitude
• Calculate using the principal tools of modern geometry
• Predict all levels of precision
• Understand Einstein's geometric framework for physics
• Explore applications, including pulsars a
Published September 15th 1973 by W. H. Freeman

To ask other readers questions about Gravitation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gravitation

Manny
Dec 24, 2008 Manny rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, pooh-dante
Look. I don't want to whine or anything, but how come the evolutionary biologists get all the attention when the religious right express opinions on science? Why isn't there a massive campaign to make sure that books like this one get sold with a prominent sticker on the front saying "Gravitation's Just A Theory"? It is, you know. Most schoolchildren don't as much as get told that Intelligent Falling exists, let alone giving it equal air time. And, unless I'm greatly mistaken, there's hardly any ...more
G.R. Reader
Nov 10, 2013 G.R. Reader rated it it was amazing
I read this when I was twelve and made my own models of tensors out of egg boxes. My mother says she still has them up in the loft.
George Mcallister
Apr 17, 2008 George Mcallister rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: advanced undergraduates, autodidacts
Shelves: math-and-physics
This is high up on my list of favorite general relativity books, very possibly number one. The book is thick enough to make its own substantial dent in spacetime, but you'd look in vain for a wasted page. It offers two interwoven tracks: One holds your hand through a carefully detailed development of GR and related mathematics, covering all the points necessary for an understanding the later advanced, topical chapters. The other skims the waves, covering only what you need for a quick course in ...more
Nick Black
finally ordered a copy. i figure if i'm stuck in texas for another 9 months, i might as well learn why i hit the ground when i pass out.
This is supposedly The Book regarding that tricky fourth force and the framework of General Relativity, and thus I need to man-up and read it at some point. Beyond it lies...?
Casey
Feb 18, 2008 Casey rated it it was amazing
This shit is a long-ass beautiful poem.
Risto
Mar 14, 2012 Risto rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book from years now. I've pondered pregeometry as a basic idea ever since with or without metric as topological source of partition categories and fabric of possibilities to exist. We should build QM and GR on pregeometry of multiverse.

It's all about measuring on manifoulds and curvature forms, purely mathematical and strongly physical. The book is highly intuitive, easy to learn and worth of reading even several times.

If the book will be rewritten to morrow, it should be equ
Bradley Brock
Aug 02, 2011 Bradley Brock marked it as to-read
From http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/14/sci...

"In 1973, Dr. Wheeler and two former students, Dr. Misner and Kip Thorne, of the California Institute of Technology, published “Gravitation,” a 1,279-page book whose witty style and accessibility — it is chockablock with sidebars and personality sketches of physicists — belies its heft and weighty subject. It has never been out of print."
albin james
Feb 16, 2015 albin james rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: partially-read
Between the submission, the fear or the abandonment
Ronald Lett
May 12, 2011 Ronald Lett rated it it was amazing
The jewel of texts on classical relativity. It is massive, it is a common joke among physics students that it "illustrates its topic by its weight." It is also the authoritative text on the classical topic; most modern texts take examples and expositions directly from it. Every student of relativity loves this text for its clarity and completeness.
Jonh_locky
Aug 26, 2011 Jonh_locky rated it it was amazing
exelente
Ron Banister
Dec 16, 2012 Ron Banister rated it it was amazing
Still working through the Tensor Calculus!! LOL
Ahurdis
Mar 11, 2008 Ahurdis rated it really liked it
I learned a lot - it's sort of like General Relativity for Dummies in the sense that it actually gives examples... most texts don't. I also learned why they call this tome "The Phonebook"; it's big.
Joe Stark
Jul 21, 2008 Joe Stark rated it it was amazing
The authority on relativity and projective geometry. Provides all the proofs you ever needed in an easy to follow format.
Alex
Dec 03, 2008 Alex rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Textbook. Heavy.
Dendi Suhubdy
Dec 14, 2014 Dendi Suhubdy rated it it was amazing
Great simplified explanation for beginners to understand Riemannian geometry
Mike
May 17, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physics, math
Ok, I actually only read a few chapters of it. But it is way cool
Mike
Feb 02, 2016 Mike rated it it was amazing
I first browsed this book in the university library in 1975. I was stunned by it. I still am. It is a wonderful reference book to have on the shelf. But a friend of mine who took a GR course in the late 80's said it was not a good textbook. However, if you only self-study, like me, you would want a copy. But, you would want other books as well. I hear that is used to be referred to as the Telephone Book. I suppose this was due to its size. We are lucky it is still in print. The first edition was ...more
Clynton
Jun 30, 2016 Clynton rated it it was amazing
This one year graduate text took me 3 years to understand. I have no questions for the author because he expected to much coverage in a 1 year coursel
Ian Durham
Not a great teaching book, but a classic that should be on everyone's bookshelf as a reference.
Sandeep Chaurasia
Sandeep Chaurasia rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2014
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2011
Delia Bruno
Delia Bruno rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2016
Earl Asuncion
Earl Asuncion rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2012
Aurimas Radauskas
Aurimas Radauskas rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2016
Gorka Eleizalde
Gorka Eleizalde rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2013
Ole Petter
Ole Petter rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2014
David
David rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2017
Nico Silalahi
Nico Silalahi rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2015
Amir
Amir rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Taban
Taban rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2014
  • The Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol 3
  • Quantum Computation and Quantum Information
  • The Large Scale Structure of Space-Time
  • Introduction to Quantum Mechanics
  • Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: With Applications to Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Engineering

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »