Start by marking “The Matzo Ball Heiress” as Want to Read:
The Matzo Ball Heiress

The Matzo Ball Heiress

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  453 ratings  ·  47 reviews
But this year is going to be different. A fantastic publicity op to televise the Greenblotz' family seder is too good to (excuse the pun) pass over, despite the fact that a Greenblotz family seder is as real as the Easter bunny. But Heather has found a wonderful cast to play the necessary family roles (mailman = uncle, shopkeeper = grandma). So here's hoping that the surpr ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Red Dress Ink

To ask other readers questions about The Matzo Ball Heiress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Matzo Ball Heiress

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinQuidditch Through the Ages by Kennilworthy WhispThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Greenest Books Ever
170th out of 1,329 books — 434 voters
Chasing Athens by Marissa TejadaThe Bad Girls' Club by Kathryn O'HalloranExpiration Dating by G.T. MarieFairway to Heaven by Lily MaloneThe Village Bride of Beverly Hills by Kavita Daswani
Inclusive Chick Lit
43rd out of 74 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

I'll admit it; I loved this book! I'm turning into a chick lit fan :)

Laurie Gwen Shapiro is one of those authors who writes characters I can actually see in my mind's eye, or I have actually known. So many of the scenes (believable or not) were easy to imagine, because she has such a great "descriptive gene".

I could have done without the mini-sex scene early on in the book, but did find it fascinating that there wasn't a sex scene at all with the hero/guy-we-were-cheering for. Intentional? Bec
Read it a while ago, don't remember too much about it so three stars.
I want to like this book, the premise was interesting but upon reading it, I find everything in it to be so contradictory. She said it's a big secret that her family, the Matzo Ball Biggest Maker in America isn't kosher but she blabbed/revealed about that fact to everyone that she has just meet for only 5 seconds, including someone that can clearly be seen as very unreliable like her intern, Roswell. Second she said over and over again she's a heiress but she mentions about buying from a sample ...more
My sister gave me this to read - I doubt I would have picked it up otherwise - and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Several pages in I found myself googling "matzo" and "seder" though - maybe I'm slow but I didn't seem to be completely understanding what they were from the context, only generally, and I'm a bit of a freak about exactness. I knew what matzo ball soup was, but not just "matzo."

Heather is a Jewish woman, heir and sometimes participant to the world's largest kosher matzo fa
This book was kind of super cute!

I liked that Heather didn't annoy me to no end like the majority of chick lit heroines do. She was fun! And even though she was pretending to be something she was not - a chick lit plot that is also usually annoying - it was different in this case because it wasn't some ridiculous scheme she had come up with herself. It wasn't her idea! It was for the good of the family business! The whole family was in on it! Oh, and I really liked that the love interest knew he
Katie M.
Oct 13, 2010 Katie M. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Katie M. by: Rebecca
Shelves: 2010, jews
Okay, I'm not sure I can quite legitimately claim this one was recommended by Rebecca... more like she mailed it to me with a post-it note that read "terrible, but amazingly so!" And since I do whatever Rebecca tells me to do, and I can also be convinced to summon up at least a vague interest in pretty much anything involving Jews in New York, I read it. And totally enjoyed it. It's pretty absurd, but no one reads chicklit expecting anything less. And it turned out to be marginally less fluffy t ...more
Heiress to the most well-known matzo brand, Heather Greenblotz is everything you wouldn't expect: she doesn't go to synagogue, she doesn't read Hebrew, and she is mot certainly NOT kosher. Heather's dirty little secret isn't that big of a deal until the uber-cute producer at the Food Channel wants to do a live broadcast of the famous family's seder. The seder that doesn't exist. Suddenly Heather's having to pull together her far-flung family and start hiding their massive secrets. Not to mention ...more
Audrey Nizen
a really fun summer read
Very entertaining story about the heirs of a matzo ball kingdom whose family life is severely dysfunctional. Yet, in order to boost their failing business, they must act like a normal Jewish family at their seder, televised live. The book's full of interesting characters from the best friend, the Egyptian diplomat, the gay father, the shopoholic mother, and the eccentric therapist. Not quite as good as The Anglophile, in my opinion, but still superior to most of the chick-lit out there.
Honestly, I was lured by the chartreuse- cutesy cover & witty title. The wit, characters, modern allusions, & plot of this comedy make for an entertaining read. I suspect it would translate well into a screenplay for a modern romantic comedy starring a team the likes of Ryan & Hanks. -- Definitely a light read suitable for summer lounging.
I was pleasantly surprised. I thought I'd picked up a romance book by accident or something but it had more depth than i expected. Now it's no War & Peace and it is a bit light weight easy read but it was also enjoyable and I liked the characters. Good story, actually more plausible than one might think, and has some good humor.
Surprisingly, this was very cute. Home with a bad cold, I wanted something light - didn't expect to quickly finish it and find it as enjoyable as I did. It's VERY heavy on the Judaism - the language, the cultural references, the humor.... may not be as easily enjoyed by someone less familiar with it all.
How much fun to find Jewish chick-lit! Matzo ball soup, dysfunctional Jewish family, gay characters, and Jews in all their different chosen traditions. I'd like to spend one of my Passover seders with this crowd (though on the second night...can't miss my favorite holiday with my family on the 1st!)
Just remembered this book when I found it at the Avenue J library and recommended it to my sister. Much in the vein of the shopaholic books and the like, but I found it much wittier and acerbic (right up my alley!) Plus, the heroine is Jewish, the heiress to a matzo factory fortune.
Fun read, interesting references & language. New twist on the theme of lookin for love in all the wrong places. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Jan 20, 2013 Marian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I was between books when I re-read this one. It doesn't hold up quite as well as I remembered, but it's still a good read. I figure any book you don't quite want to finish simply because you don't want to leave the characters has done its job well.
This is a light book, a fast read, and is great fun. Brings out the Passover family spirit, and there's some romance too. Goes to show that no matter how much money someone has, it doesn't mean they're happy; and it's written in a way that makes me smile.
The only satisfying read of September's terrible chick lit binge. Solidly mediocre in every way, bordering on offensive, yet the mounting absurdity made my day. Ah, twist ending, how heartily you made me laugh. Best worst ending EVER.
It was cute. I bought it last year before Passover, but never got a chance to read it then, so I waited until Passover again this year. It was a fun and cute read, which I enjoyed timing it with the holiday.
I liked this Jewish-themed chick lit book featuring a matzo-heiress protagonist. It had more gravitas than other books of its kind, and yet kind of had a silly, everything-ends-up-perfect ending.
Martha Hull
Fun, and a superfast (as in I can't put it down, even in stairwells) read. I guess it's a chick book, but it seems like it would have greater appeal. Funny with compelling characters and story.
Laugh out loud funny book about Heather Greenblotz, heir to the other matzo company besides Maneschwitz and Streit's. Crazy relatives, incredible situations, I loved this book!
2nd book by the author - about Jewish girl in NY helping her love life, family business, and what it means to be Jewish. Educational, and quite funny - rude at times
Shapiro is a hilarious writer, and I really appreciated the truth in having a family that is culturally Jewish, but doesn't practice.
I loved this book. I finished it just in time before St. Patrick's day. See for review.
A fun, delightful read. The main character Heather, heir to a matzo ball factory, is definitely entertaining.
I specifically picked this book back I'm not Jewish and wanted to learn more about the culture. Awesome, funny book !
Chick lit featuring the foibles and nutty family of the heiress to a Kosher foods fortune. Cute with a happy ending.
I didn't enjoy this book. The story line was weak and I did not find it enjoyable to read.
  • My Life Uncovered
  • Scenes From A Holiday
  • Speechless
  • Diary of a Blues Goddess
  • Rescuing Rose
  • The Jinx (Rachel Benjamin, #2)
  • Killer Summer
  • Making Mischief
  • True Lies of a Drama Queen (Drama Queen, #2)
  • Up & Out (Red Dress Ink)
  • Getting Personal
  • The Romancipation of Maggie Hunter
  • The Last Year of Being Single (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Miss Bubbles Steals the Show
  • My Fake Wedding
  • Summer in the Land of Skin
  • Girl Most Likely to
  • The Girlfriend Curse
Writer and filmmaker Laurie Gwen Shapiro lives in New York with her husband and daughter. She has written three adult novels, one of which is in development as a major motion picture ("The Unexpected Salami").
More about Laurie Gwen Shapiro...
The Anglophile The Unexpected Salami: A Novel Brand X: The Boyfriend Account