Start by marking “Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2)” as Want to Read:
Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2)

Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations #2)

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,922 Ratings  ·  325 Reviews
THE SECRET IS IN THE TOWER. THE PROBLEM IS THE BEAST. THE ANSWER IS TWO THIEVES.

When a destitute young woman hires two thieves to help save her remote village from nocturnal attacks, they are drawn into the schemes of the wizard Esrahaddon. While Royce struggles to breech the secrets of an ancient elven tower, Hadrian attempts to rally the villagers to defend themselves ag
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Avempartha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Avempartha

Jim
Oct 21, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
March 2012: Reading the book this time & in order. It was good on a re-read, better in order.

Feb 2009: I have the ARC pdf to review. It was a really good, fun read. It should have been a quick one, but reading a pdf just isn't that easy for me. I can't wait to sit down with the first book & hope the next one is done soon.

Yes, I read the 2d book first & still enjoyed it. That's surprising. The second book stands just fine alone, makes me want to read the first & the one that come
Molly
Not one dull moment with Hadrian and Royce.

Rating 4.5 (or am I too stingy)

description

Two years have passed since the happenings described in The Crown Conspiracy. Hadrian and Royce continue to live their lives as nothing changed. Rescuing royalty it's all in a day's work .... well, kind of...

Crossing the district, Royce and Hadrian halted abruptly in front of the theatre’s large white painted board. It depicted the silhouette of two men scaling the outside of a castle tower and read:

THE CROWN CONSPIRACY
Chris
For the first half of this book, I was a little disappointed. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it - it was great to be reunited with old friends such as Hadrian, Royce, Arista, and good (or is he evil?) ole Esrahaddon. The new developments with the church of Nyphron and their schemes, plus Arista's new assignment to serve as ambassador were all nice to read about. But it just didn't have the heart pacing action I'd come to expect after reading The Crown Conspiracy.

But talk about calm before the
David Sven
Dec 16, 2013 David Sven rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, audiobooks
Again, a fun fast read. Sword and Sorcery that reminded me a lot of Skyrim with an ancient Elven tower to plunder, an enchanted sword to steal, a princess to rescue, a village to save, and a dragon to slay.

Royce and Hadrian are back and off on another feel-good quest - you know... the sort their rules say not to take. You would have thought they would have learned from the quest they took two years earlier in The Crown Conspiracy – and besides, this job pays nowhere near as much.

As with the firs
Nick
Feb 16, 2015 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

The bane of having expectations. I went into this expecting a The Lies of Locke Lamora type thief story set in an epic expansive world. It is certainly witty at times, the characters are likable, the story itself is well told, even though the transition between The Crown Conspiracy and this book was a bit disjointed.

What I wasn't expecting was that this is really a modernized classic fantasy. Lots of inspiration from Tolkien. I love me some Tolkien, but I would have preferred knowing
TS Chan
Jan 06, 2016 TS Chan rated it it was amazing
Having done with the introductions in The Crown Conspiracy, Avempartha takes the Riyria Revelations series to the next level fairly quickly. The political intrigue that was revealed at the end of the first book took on greater proportions in this instalment. We also finally have more female representation in the cast via Princess Arista, and Thrace Wood (a daughter of a farmer).

The mysteriousness of the Riyria duo by now fades into fascination as we are clued on to more of their back story. How
Liviu
Excellent followup to The Crown Conspiracy. Though followup may not be the right word, since The Crown Conspiracy was essentially a standalone with hints of the larger picture, while Avempartha goes straight into the deeper issues of Mr. Sullivan's richly imagined universe.

After a superb re-acquittance with Royce and Hadrian in the first several pages, the novel actually continues more as a series opening with a lot of build-up in the first half, while the second half is just superb non-stop
Dirk Grobbelaar
Dec 17, 2012 Dirk Grobbelaar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
My wife commented on the fairly ambiguous nature of my review for The Crown Conspiracy. I did enjoy the book, hence the three star rating, but it didn't exactly blow me away.

Avempartha, on the other hand, comes a lot closer to doing just that. The very title of the novel intrigued me. I wasn't going to read the book quite yet, as I had some other ones lined up, but I was curious as to what the title referred to. Was it the name of a person? A city? An artifact?

A character that really annoyed me
Lee
Dec 14, 2013 Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The second book in this series has me wanting more. But not in a sense that it has built more of the story and I can't wait for the next installment, more along the lines that I was hoping for a lot more from this story and didn't get it.
There are some developments in the main plot and the character development of Royce was very good, but overall, I was still hovering around the 3.5 star mark for this story.
I am enjoying the story and look forward to the next, but am not 100% engaged yet. In s
Amar
Jul 22, 2016 Amar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Veoma veoma dobar nastavak ! Otprilike mi je u istom rangu sa prvim dijelom , pa zato mi još nije za peticu .

Sullivan proširuje svoj svijet i vodi nas na sam rub svog , poznatog dijela , svijeta Elana , gdje Royce i Hadrian imaju novi zadatak . Hemija između njih dvojice je još bolja nego u prvom dijelu , i nisam se jednom do suza nasmijao . Priča je veoma zanimljiva , odlično napisano , fenomenalni likovi ( Esra <3 ) , "realni " dijalozi i puno puno mistike zbog koje bi istog trenutka krenuo
Apr 28, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It had been some time since I read the fantasy genre. In March I stumbled across The Crown Conspiracy, the first book in the series. I first noticed it in the Giveaway section. It sounded so interesting and seemed so well received by other readers that my curiosity was piqued.

I ordered it directly from the author and read it immediately. It was wonderful. Exciting story, great characters, I couldn't ask for more from a fantasy story. I was pleased to see Avempartha was scheduled for release in
Jeanna
Mar 08, 2009 Jeanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
So, I got an ARC copy of this book from the author's wife (and let me just say I was proud of myself for ignoring the typos that get edited out before publication; being an editor is sometimes a curse). It's the second book in the series of six (curses! I broke my rule of only reading completed series again!), and I’ve now finished the first one as well. I wanted to know if they really could go out of order without being a problem, and overall it was fine. There was obviously some backstory refe ...more
Lazybee
Mar 16, 2016 Lazybee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Royce or Hadrian. I like them both. It's like to choose between sasuke and naruto or tom and Jerry. You can't select one. I love them both equally. And will continue to do so.

Book is even better than the predecessor, if that's even possible. Plot twists everywhere, don't try to guess. I tried and failed.

It was a pleasure to read.
Robin
Mar 17, 2009 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
So it's been a long while since the last time I read this book and a lot has been added since then because my husband added some seeds into it as he was working on books 3 - 6. I really like the way it came out. The first chapter is completly reworked - The original first chapter was thrown away completly and the new first chapter is probably my favorite of all the chapters in the series - which is like - I'm not sure maybe 70 chapters?

Anyway I recalled this book being my least favorite of the
Allison
Oct 03, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This wasn't quite as fun as the first one, as it's taken a turn for the darker. It's still very enjoyable, but it feels more like a warm-up for the next book - which I think I'm going to have to start right away. Much is left hanging at the end, and my curiosity is piqued!

There's more magic here than in the first, more tantalizing hints about the elves, and more involvement with dwarves and wizards, all of which made me happy. I am glad the main focus was with the thieves again, but with enough
J. Lawrence
Jun 15, 2015 J. Lawrence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading this I am wondering what took me so long to get to this series! The word idiot comes to mind...

The Second Book of The Riyria Revelations is truly that as we learn that there is more to be revealed about this pair of rogues. This book brings so much to the table! And it does it all in true epic fantasy style. Once the stage sets, the crafty layers begin to peel back and we see deeper into our favorite characters, as well as the world Mr. Sullivan has created.

A helpless girl, an evi
Libby
After being hooked by The Crown Conspiracy (and I mean that literally, as defined by Merriam-Webster’s as “fascinated by or devoted to”) I was like a kid at Christmas waiting on my copy of Avempartha. From the last page of Crown to the first page of Avempartha, I missed my new friends Royce and Hadrian. I wondered what was happening in Elan after the death of the King? Where did the formerly captive and truly dangerous wizard Esrahaddon go? What secret plan was the Church of Nyphron weaving behi ...more
Adam Franklin
Oct 26, 2010 Adam Franklin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rarely do I find a second book in the series that "holds up" to the first especially when I really like the first one. Avempartha certainly exceeded the high expectations I had after reading The Crown Conspiracy.

Royce and Hadrian continue to be the best part of these books,though the wizard Esrahaddon is fascinating to me and I'm not sure whether he is "good or bad" in any case he certainly has his "own agenda" and seems to have no quams about using others to reach his goals.

There are many memor
Ron
Feb 25, 2013 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, maps
See Second reading comments:

Not even as good as The Crown Conspiracy, though Avempartha advances the greater story. Not content with saving a kingdom, he's set about resurrecting an empire and maybe (in future books) saving the human race.

What's not to like? First, he stole his elves (and dwarves), almost verbatim, from J. R. R. Tolkien. Second, his evil, conspiring church is so commonplace that's almost as if he stole it, too. Neither showed much imagination. Contrast this with Rothfuss' create
Mike (the Paladin)
Every now and then it happens that we find a book or a series of books that we really enjoy. That's very nice when it happens after a long run of mediocre..."meh" reads. That's what happened here. I like the first book in this "series" and I liked this one just as well.

(complete disclosure I'm reading these in a compilation volume that contains volumes 1 and 2.)

We are slowly learning about "Riyria" here and as we do so we get an exciting and enjoyable story of what's happening "currently". Thes
Brooke
Aug 17, 2011 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2011
It's been a couple years since I read The Crown Conspiracy, which is the only complaint I have about #2 in the series - I felt ill-equipped to pick up on all the threads that had started in the first book! It's definitely a direct sequel, as all the main players are back - Hadrian, Royce, Arista, and Esrahaddon, as well as a lot of the side characters. The events of the Crown Conspiracy are given a new dimension as we learn more about the wider political forces in the world. Once again, Michael ...more
Feb 05, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I moved on to this book straight after reading book 1 in the series. I read this as part of the Theft of Swords Omnibus.

I enjoyed this book much more than the first one and I liked that one a lot. I found that this one kept me guessing a bit more or at least I had much more (wilder) theories on what might happen in the story - sometimes I was right and sometimes I was way off!

I've bought the remaining books in the series - I guess I will be seeing more of Royce and Hadrian in my future.
Isaac Clarke
Mar 28, 2016 Isaac Clarke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
ნელ-ნელა იხსნება კარტები რაც ფრიად კარგია.

ჩვეულებრივი კაცი რო არ იყო ედრიან ბლექუოტერი ისედაც ეტყობოდა მარა უყურე შენ რამხელა პიროვნება ყოფილა თურმე.

როისის ელფობაში პირველივე წიგნიდან არ მეპარებოდა ეჭვი.
KristenR
Oct 25, 2014 KristenR rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying this series!!!

I said this about The Crown Conspiracy, but it's true...it's very light and fun, but the characters are very well drawn out (I liked the confirmation I got on the theories I had while reading the first book). I enjoyed the deepening of the themes/plot that were introduced in the first book, and definitely liked that there wasn't a maddening cliffhanger.

Can't wait to read the next installment!
Jarek Dąbrowski
What an ending! How can you not want to start the next book right away....The big plot was unravelled more in this one. More powers showed themselves and the ones we know got different motives depending on the point of view. I dont know if its that simple but i think I know who the heir is...Great character development. We learn so much more about royce and Hadrian and the wizard. Some more world building and insights to the past empire. Sullivan gives us just enough in every book. Enough to kee ...more
Katie
Apr 20, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
4.5*

And the plot thickens. I love how Sullivan can pack a wonderful fully developed fantasy story into under 350 pages. I love this world and all of the back room politics and scheming going on, I can't wait to pick up Rise of Empire!
Emma
Feb 11, 2016 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Great light read fantasy that develops and deepens nicely from the first story.
Heather
May 25, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading The Crown Conspiracy, I was excitedly waiting for the release of Avempartha. I am pleased to say that it did not disappoint. It was very good, and I found myself stealing away from a weekend visiting family to read more! I enjoyed the further development of some of the characters from the first book, as well as meeting many new characters.

I have to say, about Royce, I knew it! I suspected from about halfway through The Crown Conspiracy, and was glad to find out I was correct! If y
Henry
Dec 22, 2009 Henry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
An action and mystery packed book featuring the characters from The Crown Conspiracy. This time Hadrian and Royce are hired to help a village that's being attack by some terrible unknown creature. Before they know it, they are in the middle of the plots of a wizard and the Church of Nyphron.

I found this book to be much darker than The Crown Conspiracy. There is a lot less humor, and a lot more sorrow. We learn a lot a more about the characters, things that were hinted at in the first book but i
You'll love this ...: Avempartha-Riyria Revelations #2 40 44 May 15, 2015 07:22AM
  • Shatter (The Children of Man, #1)
  • The Spirit Eater (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #3)
  • Blood of the Mantis (Shadows of the Apt, #3)
  • Shadow's Lure (Shadow Saga, #2)
  • Origin Scroll (Targa Trilogy, Book 1)
  • Travellers' Rest (Morlock Ambosius, #0.5)
  • City of Ruin (Legends of the Red Sun, #2)
  • Warrior Quest (The Ancient Lands, #1)
  • The Gateway (The Harbinger of Doom Saga, #1 novella length)
  • Dancing In The Low Country
  • Hope's End (Powder Mage, #0.4)
  • Kings of Morning (The Macht, #3)
  • Griffin's Daughter (Griffin's Daughter Trilogy, #1)
  • Antiphon (Psalms of Isaak, #3)
  • The King of the Crags (The Memory of Flames, #2)
  • The Great Bazaar and Other Stories (Demon Cycle, #1.6)
  • The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4)
2063919
Age of Myth is now released, and is one of the 100 most popular books of 2016 -- shelved by more than 29,000 goodreads members. I'm also honored it was selected as one of Goodread's 21 Hotest Books of the Summer.

Hey there. Thanks for visiting my profile. I write classical fantasy and science fiction with unlikely heroes on epic adventures. I'm thrilled with the reception my books hav
More about Michael J. Sullivan...

The Riyria Revelations (6 books)
  • The Crown Conspiracy (The Riyria Revelations, part #1)
  • Nyphron Rising (The Riyria Revelations, part #3)
  • The Emerald Storm  (The Riyria Revelations, part #4)
  • Wintertide (The Riyria Revelations, part #5)
  • Percepliquis (The Riyria Revelations, part #6)