Start by marking “Telling Yourself the Truth” as Want to Read:
Telling Yourself the Truth

Telling Yourself the Truth

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  351 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Find your way out of depression, anxiety, fear, anger, and other common problems by applying the principles of Misbelief Therapy. Learn how to handle emotions properly.
Published February 1st 2000 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Telling Yourself the Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Telling Yourself the Truth

Julie Phillips
This book changed my life. There is always a copy around, me. Even if you aren't into the spiritual/Christian point of view, you can still take away a lot from this book. You will have a new set of emotional tools. This book helped me to grow in so many ways that I would recommend it to anyone, with out hesitation. I can't give the exact date that I finished this book, because I have read it 3 times now, and every time that I read it, it becomes a new book for me. It's almost a self evaluation, ...more
Veronica
This is a wonderful, insightful book I think everyone needs to read! When I decided to read it, I thought it looked interesting, but wasn't sure how much of it would really apply to me. However, I started to realize that I need to work on some of the areas in this book. Probably everyone engages in negative self-talk in one form or another and this book really makes you pay attention to every word you tell yourself. Is this thought true or is it a lie? Some of the topics are misbeliefs in depres ...more
Julie
Do you tell yourself negative things about yourself? I think all of us have things that we say all the time to ourselves that we never think twice about. It can be things that we've been told in childhood by parents, siblings, friends, or even things that we have heard from our spouse. We start to believe these negative things and then chime in to reinforce this negative talk.

This is NOT how God sees us or how we should treat ourselves. This negative talk can hold us back from doing the things w
Robin
I wanted to try this book to see if it would help me in anyway. It is not a very long book, but it took me a few days because it's emotional and about trying to help yourself. This book teaches us about Misbelief therapy, which are basically the lies we tell ourselves. Example: I am Dumb, I am worth nothing, I will not be successful. It also teaches us how to find the truth and get rid of those misbeliefs, I wish it was as simple as it says. I am hoping I am able to use this in my life though, a ...more
Linda
If junior and senior high students could read this and let the truths guide their emotions and mindsets, a lot of the angst of growing up, acceptance, and peer pressure could be avoided.
Bethany
I was a bit skeptical of yet another self help book but I was very delighted to find that this book really is insightful and isn't just a self help book but is grounded in Biblical truths and is very uplifting. As someone who struggles with self doubt and negativity this book did an excellent job at helping me realize how much disbelief I really have in my life and how that is keeping me from experiencing true joy!

I highly recommend this book to anyone who is struggling with or has struggled wit
Dena Rosko
Immensely helpful. Biblical emphasis for truthful self-talk, or how mis/beliefs can influence behavior.
Rosanna-Michelle
The message of this book is a really good one, and one that should be commonsense but sadly isn’t. However, I can see the book itself causing a lot of discouragement for most of its readers for several reasons. First; the author states that the book is written in "everyday language" so that people from all backgrounds and reading levels can understand it, but there are words, phrases, even whole paragraphs that the average reader would struggle with. Second; when the author is using "everyday la ...more
Laura Radniecki
This book got through to me.

I wouldn't say the information is completely brand new, but it was written in an way that made sense to me and stuck with me. Finally, after years of hearing "What's the worst that could happen?" as a way to combat anxiety, the way this book approaches that concept started to make sense and work for me when I need it to.

I've already ordered another of Backus' books that focuses on the area I most want to make progress in. I'm excited to read more.
Joan
I've just read the reissued book, out in 2014. It is as good now as it was decades ago. The idea is still that our thoughts make who we are. It is not the events from the past that shape us but our thoughts about them. The misbelief therapy plan is to locate the misbeliefs, argue against them, then replace them with the truth. the authors include many inspiring stories for encouragement.
See my full review at http://bit.ly/1e8guLb.
Shera
Backus and Chapian create a "do it yourself" method that is attainable for the masses. While it is a Christian based book and they insist that you are able to do it yourself through the power of Christ, alot of the ideas can be adaptable to those who do not believe in Christ. While some may argue the results may not be the same, it is at least somewhat available to the non-Christian world. I found myself very involved with the book and the way they wrote it was easy to understand and enjoyable t ...more
Lynda
Apr 28, 2013 Lynda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Telling Yourself the Truth is written from a Christian perspective, using what they call, "Misbelief Therapy," to assist you in recognizing how wrong thinking produces wrong emotions, wrong reactions and wrong behavior in our lives. Learn to recognize and deal with your thoughts, identify your misbeliefs and replace them truth. By applying misbelief therapy you can learn to correct your feelings by thinking truth instead of the lies that Satan wants you to believe.

This is a life-changing book. A
Sheila
This book was life-changing for me. I probably should read it again from time to time just to keep what I learned fresh. Recommend.
Aneta
Did this book as a study with a friend a number of years ago and its truths and principles have stayed with me to this day. Excellent book!
Angie
Good, scripturally-based advice on rethinking your "misbeliefs" and the meaning you assign to the events of life and the resultant feelings that occur. Very applicable to the perfectionist in me with high demands of self and others.
Yvonne Kneeshaw
Our self talk (misbeliefs or truth) has so much influence and power in our daily lives.
Dustin Bagby
I found this book both personally and professionally helpful in terms of coming to grips with our misbeliefs and how they affect our behavior. Essentially this is a popular explanation of a form of cognitive behavioral therapy (at least to the extent i understand!). This book has helped me rethink why I do (or do not) do certain things and I've had some personal realizations through reading this that have already helped me. I highly recommend.

This book could use an update (maybe it has been?), a
Peter Clegg
Simple but very helpful.
Shanna
This book was an easy five stars for me. This is a Christian based book that helps you manage depression, anxiety, fear, anger, and other common problems by applying the principles of misbelief therapy. This is not a new publication but it's tools and messages stand the test of time. In a nutshell this book helps one handle their thoughts properly. It definitely helped me perceive some things in my life differently, and I enjoyed reading it.
Bill
This is a very valid approach to combat the multitude of negative feelings one feels. As I think about the materials covered, it would be difficult to apply the tools and techniques covered in a non-Christian counseling environment. The focus is the truth in Christ that set us free and combats all of the multiple lies we tell ourselves. In a Christian counseling setting though, the tools and techniques have priceless potential to help clients.
Janelle
Here and there it helped, not every chapter pertained to the issues I have/had, but it is helpful somewhat. Sometimes you need a book that says, "pull your head out of your bum" in a nice gentle manner and that's what this book does. A lot of it, to me, was obvious advice but nevertheless I still enjoyed reading it. Each chapter can stand alone so it's not a problem to pick and choose.
Lily
A very good book. The authors are good at shining the spotlight on the lies we all tell ourselves. They don't leave the reader wallowing in self-pity or self-loathing, they give clear and concise directions to help the reader capture the misbeliefs and learn to tell themselves the truth. I recommend this book for anyone who is ready to stop lying to themselves and face the truth.
Sue Stokke
A book that drives home the point that your attitudes, your choices, and your beliefs make you what you are. One of those books that hammers home the basic fundamentals that we can readily verbalize. It's actually applying them consistently where some of us stumble! The author aspires to helping you identify your misbeliefs (based on Scripture truth) and replacing them with truth.
Pat
A great book about Anxiety, Depression and other disorders and how to overcome them thoughtfully and spiritually.
Vincentjones
All Bible.
Just reasons, no interventions.
Jane Williams
Telling Yourself the Truth provides a good outline for identifying the source of discontent with a three point Misbelief Therapy that counters the Triad of Depression. The book is heavily Christian influenced but has good points for people of every belief.
Luanne
This is a book that restates what everyone already knows, but says it well, and in a way that is easy to recall and act upon. I really liked it. It does, however, go in the category of a self-help book....
Dun
This is a great book on self-searching and improvement. It shows you that, your ability to correctly respond to anything that happens in your life is key to how well you will live this life.
John Yarbrough
I wouldn't recommend this book for the writing. The truth of it is sufficient. We lie to ourselves so easily. The imprint we place on ourselves seems to be constant. Glad I plowed through it.
Walt Rees
Heavy on the Christianity, but is still a good book even if you're not a very religious person (provided you can get past the Christian references and teachings.)
Reading Level 2 5 Aug 24, 2013 05:18PM
  • Mending the Soul: Understanding and Healing Abuse
  • Effective Biblical Counseling: A Model for Helping Caring Christians Become Capable Counselors
  • The Anxiety Cure
  • Healing for Damaged Emotions
  • The Lies We Believe
  • Coping with Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear, and Worry
  • Competent Christian Counseling, Volume One: Foundations and Practice of Compassionate Soul Care
  • Relationships: How to Make Bad Relationships Better and Good Relationships Great
  • Parenting a Child Who Has Intense Emotions: Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Help Your Child Regulate Emotional Outbursts and Aggressive Behaviors
  • Psychology, Theology, and Spirituality in Christian Counseling
  • The New Personality Self-Portrait: Why You Think, Work, Love and Act the Way You Do
  • What You Must Think of Me: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with Social Anxiety Disorder
  • Painfully Shy: How to Overcome Social Anxiety and Reclaim Your Life
  • Enough: Discovering Joy Through Simplicity and Generosity
  • Clinical Handbook of Psychological Disorders: A Step-by-Step Treatment Manual
  • Love and Respect for a Lifetime: Women Absolutely Need Love. Men Absolutely Need Respect. Its as Simple and as Complicated as That...
  • Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness: A Self-help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioural Techniques
  • Boundaries in Marriage Kit: An 8-Session Focus on Boundaries and Marriage
Telling Each Other the Truth Learning to Tell Myself the Truth Freedom From the Lies You Tell Yourself Hidden Rift with God Finding the Freedom of Self-Control