Start by marking “Digging for the Truth: One Man's Epic Adventure Exploring the World's Greatest Archaeological Mysteries” as Want to Read:

Josh Bernstein, host of The History Channel’s hit series Digging for The Truth, takes readers beyond the cameras for an even closer look at his adventures through some of the most intriguing, remote, and physically challenging locations on the planet as he explores the world’s greatest ancient mysteries.

No location is too dangerous, no terrain too rough, no culture too e
Published November 23rd 2006 by Gotham (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Digging for the Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Digging for the Truth

Karol
Oct 14, 2008 Karol rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008
I've never watched the show - now, I would like to! I enjoyed learning about some of the things Josh Bernstein learned in his travels, as well as the behind-the-scenes look at putting the show together.
Gregg
Aug 10, 2016 Gregg rated it it was ok
Guy lands dream job; does nothing to move the ball forward in a host of professional fields; spends a large portion of the book plugging his show, schools or products; and then rubs in your face how cool his life is.
Cheetahguy
Apr 23, 2014 Cheetahguy rated it it was amazing
Laura Cushing
An interesting behind the scenes look at the show Digging for the Truth. Host Josh Bernstein tells readers about his life pre-show, then about what filming the first two seasons was like.

Though each episode comes together smoothly, there are a lot of difficulties that don't make it onto the screen. Josh has gotten sick from parasites and various diseases and bad food, he's had to face a grueling schedule and sometime wakes up not sure of what part of the world he's in.

Weather conditions, local
Brian
Nov 06, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it
I saw this book listed in a flyer and thought it looked interesting. I had not seen an episode of the TV series, but I did watch an episode about Atlantis before I read the book.

This book is about Josh Bernstein and how he became host of Digging for the Truth and his adventures while shooting. You don't realize how extensive and exhausting his travels are. The book goes through the first two seasons of the show. Each cahapter he dwells into the history of the subject investigated, (pyramids, Ark
Ellen Librarian
Feb 03, 2010 Ellen Librarian rated it really liked it
I want to be Josh Bernstein! Could there be any more interesting, exciting life than to travel the world for a television series investigating historical mysteries such as the Pyramids of Egypt, the identity of the real Queen of Sheba and lost cities of the Amazon? Bernstein does all that and more in this book. It's part memoir, part travelogue, part how-to about his real-life adventures working on the History Channel's Digging for the Truth. Even though I never saw the show, I completely ...more
Carol
Aug 03, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing
I would love to be Josh Bernstein. I so admire his education and the many opportunities he has taken to learn many aspects of learning. To go to many places all around the world is absolutely awesome to me. I was terrified however when he got bit by a brown recluse spider. I kind of freaked there. To study mummy's, Stone Henge, Easter Island, Iceland, and that is the tip of the iceberg. His TV show on the History Channel is called Digging for the Truth (DFT). It is getting absolutely terrific ...more
Theresa
Sep 06, 2012 Theresa rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I liked reading about the behind-the-scenes things that went on DFT, and the things Josh Bernstein had experienced. You don't realize before reading this book how crazy the shooting schedules are, and how much work is put into making the show. I have watched the show before and I liked it as well. I liked the organization in the book too. There were neat side boxes that explained subjects Bernstein was talking about, and the pages were filled with interesting visuals.
Sondra Harris
Dec 16, 2009 Sondra Harris rated it really liked it
Josh Bernstein hates when you call his hat a fedora. He insists it is a cowboy hat. I say that no self-respecting cowboy would wear a hat ill-equipped to keep rain from running down one's face and neck, but Josh Bernstein is cute and smart and delivers a well-written, inside-but-not-TMI look at his world, our world, and the worlds of our past.

Here's to making everyone check out of the Paris Hilton and into the Luxor.
Angie slusser
Apr 12, 2011 Angie slusser rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like the show then this will give you a little more incite into the travel and how archaeology is not like the indiana jones movies. josh makes fun of himself as he travels through territory that he is not used to and some places that are not keen to have outsiders. It is a great way to spend a rainy afternoon.
Patty
Sep 08, 2013 Patty rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
Cyndi
Oct 23, 2014 Cyndi rated it liked it
Entertaining but if I had watched the series I would probably not have liked it as much since he pretty much re-hashed the first few seasons. He did give behind the scenes stories but I expected more about the author. Not a page turner but easy to read. The personality of the author came through and I felt he would be a fun guy to hang out with.
Mark Boszko
Jun 25, 2014 Mark Boszko rated it liked it
I pretty much just got this book because I was mentioned in the foreword/thanks, and thought it would be a nice memento of the time I spent working on the show. Nice to have some of the stories I heard floating around the office codified into book form. Of course there are other stories that will never get printed…
Rosie Beck
Mar 10, 2010 Rosie Beck rated it liked it
A slightly unsubstantial book about Josh Bernstein, the host of Digging for the Truth on the History Channel.
A good portion of the books deals with the choosing and setting up of the archeological sights, with some of the programs thrown in. A nice casual read.
Nicole Marble
Aug 16, 2016 Nicole Marble rated it did not like it
This book is not abour archaeology, which is what I wanted. It is about making a tv series about archaeology, which is not what I wanted.
Mike
Dec 04, 2010 Mike rated it it was ok
Dear Josh,

You are a complete goober. I'm going back to dig up the last week of my life that I lost reading your book. You goober!

Mike
Pam
Dec 03, 2007 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a book about the tv show. It had lots of interesting tidbits in it. I would have liked to have seen a bit more info on some of the stories, but overall I thought it was a fun read.
Jessica
Feb 19, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: archaeology, memoir
A solid tie-in to the TV show, and the behind-the-scenes info makes it much clearer just how much effort goes into creating the show and presenting its stories.
Michelle
Aug 01, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Great behind the scenes info on Josh's incredible explorations as well as tips for surviving your own explorations.
Missy
Nov 13, 2010 Missy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other
Josh talks about his life growing up in New York to his buisness as owner/CEO of BOSS and his time filming "Digging for the Truth" for A&E. I love this book alot!
Josilyn Sakura
Oct 21, 2014 Josilyn Sakura rated it it was amazing
I've officially done reading. No words can't express what Josh have gone through. Traveling around the world and seeing things that you could never imagine is something is worth travel.
Matt
Mar 17, 2013 Matt rated it liked it
Shelves: archaeology, for-fun
Fun book to read, much like the TV show. The style is pretty fast paced, at times though the author gets a bit more personal, which may or may not appeal to the readers.
Crrrazyhawk
Aug 24, 2008 Crrrazyhawk rated it really liked it
Interesting book the major archaeological finds and their inpact. Also a good story on how Mr. Bernstein unde up in his dream job.
scherzo♫
Jan 01, 2016 scherzo♫ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Audiobook did not identify marketing "chapters" as ads. All these should have been collected in an clearly labelled appendix.
Lillian
Oct 13, 2011 Lillian rated it liked it
Shelves: science, history
Interesting behind-the-scenes look at the ordeals that take place in documentary production, especially when traveling to dozens of exotic locations. Pretty funny.
Kristin Johnson
Aug 23, 2012 Kristin Johnson rated it really liked it
I loved watching his show. I'm such a nerd for history, especially art history. His book is surprisingly funny. He's very monotone on the show. A pretty good read.
Alex
Oct 13, 2011 Alex rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir, travel
Not much intelligence, with even less writing style. And even the voice of the audio book is somewhat vulgar. All match together to yield another piece of cheap show biz products.
Synona Culbertson
Jul 04, 2012 Synona Culbertson rated it really liked it
This is a great, fun read! What amazing adventures this man has been on and luckily we can all watch on the History channel while he explores history's mysteries.
Jo
Jo rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was ok
Mar 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Bill & Dave: How Hewlett and Packard Built the World's Greatest Company
  • Jamestown, the Buried Truth
  • Passage of Darkness: The Ethnobiology of the Haitian Zombie
  • Thieves of Baghdad: One Marine's Passion to Recover the World's Greatest Stolen Treasures
  • "Live from Cape Canaveral": Covering the Space Race, from Sputnik to Today
  • The Condé Nast Traveler Book of Unforgettable Journeys: Great Writers on Great Places
  • Race to Dakar
  • The Man Who Swam the Amazon: 3,274 Miles on the World's Deadliest River
  • Hatshepsut: The Princess Who Became King (National Geographic World History Biographies)
  • Big Brain: The Origins and Future of Human Intelligence
  • Hallucinogenic Plants: A Golden Guide
  • Phineas and Ferb Laughapalooza Joke Book
  • The Bart Book: Simpsons Library of Wisdom
  • Nefertiti: Unlocking the Mystery Surrounding Egypt's Most Famous and Beautiful Queen
  • The Eastern Stars: How Baseball Changed the Dominican Town of San Pedro de Macoris
  • All the Presidents' Pastries: Twenty-Five Years in the White House, A Memoir