Start by marking “Six Books on the Priesthood (Popular Patristics)” as Want to Read:
Six Books on the Priesthood (Popular Patristics)

Six Books on the Priesthood (Popular Patristics)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The stylistic brilliance of this work demonstrates the appropriateness of St John's title, "the golden-mouthed, " and his gift for linking concrete observation and theological vision.
Published July 28th 1996 by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press (first published July 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Six Books on the Priesthood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Books on the Priesthood

Robert
This is a hard one. I have been waiting to read some Chrysostom because of his reputation and the bits of sermons I've read (his Easter one is great). But this was not what I expected. The writing is eloquent and the content is harsh. Everyone called into ministry should give this a try because it works at revealing the difficulty of priestly life and the great seriousness that comes with the work.

The book, essentially, is Chrysostom explaining to a friend why he should not be ordained as a bish
Brad and Suzanne
Woe to those in the priesthood. Reading this book greatly enhanced my understanding and gratitude and admiration for my priest for the profound seriousness he takes with his office. Truly a must-read; it is St John Chrysostom after all.
Libby
i will never look at my parish priest again in the same way. What a burden he carries!
Jen
This came to my attention in a legitimate scholarly enterprise—I wrote a paper last term on the effects of confession on the priests who gave it. Sadly, I didn't end up using this because the paper narrowed to confession after it was mandated by the Fourth Lateran Council of 1415, but I kept the book to read for fun. ”Nerd” doesn't quite begin to cover it.

So, John Chrysostom was a fourth-century example of how incredibly human saints are. ”Chrysostom” means “golden-mouthed,” a descriptor he pick
James
As a pastor who has been exposed to models of ministry based upon modern psychology and business management, St. Chrysostom's treatise is refreshing. Being famed as a preacher, I especially appreciated the "Golden-Mouth's" chapters on preaching and teaching. At one point, he compares the priest's work to the doctor. Whereas the doctor has a variety of medicines and treatments available,

"there is only one means and only one method of treatment available [to the priest], and that is teaching by wo
Hans
Easy to read, filled with good spiritual reflections and thoughts for all Protestants, Roman Catholics, and Eastern Orthodox. Don't let the title push you away, its got a lot for people not interested in being a priest or pastor.

Warning: May make you consider the priesthood/pastorate!
Jeremy Rios
A wonderful, potent little book. Although a person preparing for pastoral ministry might benefit from it, I would consider it essential reading for anyone presently in pastoral ministry. To elaborate, when I was in seminary I wouldn't have been prepared to benefit as fully from this book as I am now with several years of ministry under my belt.

One note: if you read this edition, skip Graham Neville's introduction till the end. His commentary is a mixed bag, and it's better to form your own opin
Christian
It was wonderful to finally sit down with Chrysostom and come face to face with his writing. After reading this, I think it should be retitled _On Why No One Should Ever Be Ordained_, or, at least, _On Avoiding the Priesthood_. All in all, though, Chrysostom is a genius rhetorician and his insights into the dilemma of pastorship are appreciated and astute, but really, what else is there to expect from St John of the Golden-mouth?
Christian Proano
This definitely takes away the romantic aspect one may have about ministry. A reality check for prospects. Makes one think if one has truly been called into such a job. Makes one see the perils of ministry, and how liable one is before God for what He has put at charge in mere human hands. It causes one to think, reflect and take a more committed decision whichever that may be.
Charles
This is a hard little treatise. Don't get me wrong it's short, and easy to understand, but not to take in and apply. This is standard per-seminary reading in the Eastern Orthodox Church, and is designed to make you really consider what your getting into and why. I gave it four stars instead of five because of my own failing not it's. Read and learn, a difficult teaching.
Nicholas
St. John Chrysostom analyzes aspects of the presbyterate and episcopate in this work.
Christopher Pokorny
A must read for all candidates for Holy Orders!
Richard Villalobos
Richard Villalobos marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Danny
Danny marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Peter Wolf
Peter Wolf marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Seth Bobbink
Seth Bobbink marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Brad Epp
Brad Epp marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Alan Dupay
Alan Dupay marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Ricardo Tavárez
Ricardo Tavárez marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
First marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Pedro
Pedro marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
John Chrysostom (c. 347–407, Greek: Ἰωάννης ὁ Χρυσόστομος), Archbishop of Constantinople, was an important Early Church Father. He is known for his eloquence in preaching and public speaking, his denunciation of abuse of authority by both ecclesiastical and political leaders, the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, and his ascetic sensibilities. After his death in 407 (or, according to some sou ...more
More about John Chrysostom...
On Marriage and Family Life On Wealth and Poverty On Living Simply: The Golden Voice of John Chrysostom The Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom Homilies on the Gospel of St John and Epistle to the Hebrews (Nicene & Post-Nicene Fathers of the Christian Church 14)