Start by marking “Lockdown” as Want to Read:
Lockdown

Lockdown (Ryan Lock #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  592 ratings  ·  68 reviews
A DEADLY MISSION
It may be Christmas Eve in New York, but for ex-military bodyguard Ryan Lock it's business as usual. His task: to protect one of America's most ruthless businessmen.

A BLOODY SHOOTOUT
Suddenly gunshots ring out. People run for cover. Innocent bystanders are mown down. Amid the chaos, Lock's hunt for the killers turns into an explosive game of cat and mouse.

ON
Kindle Edition, US Edition, 528 pages
Published August 25th 2011 by Sean Black Digital (first published July 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Lockdown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lockdown

Giacomo
Started off fantastic!
I love to get lost in a book, whether it is a mystery, a thriller, SciFi, Fantasy, History, Biography…it doesn’t matter, as long as the writing is good, the mistakes kept to a minimum, and the characters engaging with a good and believable plot. Lockdown started off with all of these. I had no trouble getting into Ryan Lock, the main character, and the plot seemed to be moving along at a nice pace, with no big holes; in fact, I was so involved I read half the book the first
Best Crime Books
Well I am a fan of this type of book anyway and wondered whether this would be up to scratch. There is so much competition out there that it is hard to grab the readers attention but can honestly say that Sean Black certainly grabbed mine. This is the first novel with the lead character of Ryan Lock. Lock is an ex-soldier who now works for a Pharmaceuticals company. He runs the operations team there as an elite bodyguard. Things turn sour when an animal protest march goes wrong and Lock is worki ...more
Book Addict Shaun
After reading so many books of this genre I was becoming quite bored with it. Nothing shocks or surprises you anymore when you've read so many similar books. That said I loved this book (and read it in 24 hours). I liked the main character immediately and the story was good too and kept you guessing for most of the book, and even after certain characters are revealed for what they are the twists still keep coming resulting in one of my favourite endings of a book (in this genre anyway, similar s ...more
Stuart
Blood Rose Books
In his debut novel, Sean Black looks to what extend a man will go to discover the truth, even it cost him everything.

Christmas eve in New York and still the city is not sleeping and that includes the protesters outside one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the United States and it is Ryan Lock's job to keep the CEO of the company safe. When an assassination goes wrong, and there are innocent bodies littering the street Lock believes this was something more than an assassination attempt.
Jen
LOCKDOWN is the first book in Sean Black's Ryan Lock series and I'm very excited that I don't have to wait a year for the next book - one of the benefits of discovering a series late. This is a fun action-adventure novel with a little bit of everything in it. You can't argue that Lock's a real character when he's knocked out in the first 20 pages. And the shaved head with stitches isn't going to win him People's Sexist Man contest. But he's smart and funny and determined; I think I'm smitten. Lo ...more
Jenifer Mohammed
Really enjoyed it!

This as a great story. It starts off with Ryan Lock providing close protection services for a corporation when an animal rights protestor is murdered, then a young boy is kidnapped and the story explodes. There are layers of complexity and it's hard at first to figure out who the bad guys really are. When you finally realize what is going on, it will stun you. Great first entry in the series!
I Love Reading
I really struggled at the start of this book. I just couldn't get into it and my concentration was everywhere but the book.
Reading when poorly is not always a good idea.
Luckily i'd seen some good reviews on the book by a couple of trusted book bloggers, so i put it down for a few days and started it again when i felt a little better.

Right from the start then, I liked Ryan Lock, the main character. (only liked.. so my reading blogger friend Kat, doesn't have to rip my eyes out thinking i want hi
Jim A
Nothing really special here. First book of a series that unfortunately I have read out of order.

On the plus side it is a fast paced thriller covering kidnapping, assassination, terrorists and corporate misdeeds.

On the negative side, it's very predictable.

But, as it was a Free For Kindle offering, it was very inexpensive entertainment.

Plum-crazy

New York.
It may be Christmas in New York, but for ex-soldier turned elite bodyguard Ryan Lock, it's business as usual: his mission is to protect one of America's most ruthless businessmen.

A Bloody Shoot-Out.
Suddenly gunshots ring out. People run for cover. Innocent people are mown down. Amid the chaos, Lock's hunt for the killers turns into an explosive game of cat and mouse.

A Deadly Secret.
Lock's search for the truth takes him from the rooftops of a New York skyscraper to a heavily fort
Connie Becerra
Another good series to read.
Elizabeth Maddrey
Enjoyed this quite a bit - nearly 5 stars, honestly. Definitely in the realm of Brad Thor (not quite up to Vince Flynn), a solid, page-turning ride.
Gustambro
The alternative to Jack Reacher, but without all the action and the kick-ass attitude. Ryan Lock is as smart but still human!
Rishika S.
I'd been meaning to read Lock Down for a while now. It's blurb had me hooked and I expected to read an absolute blockbuster of a book that would keep me at the edge of my seat. But while Lock Down has many good things that are going for it, it also has its downfalls that pull its rating lower. I would have expected this book to gain a 4 star or more but, for me, it's settled at 3.5 stars out of 5.

The good aspects of the book include Sean Black's writing style. His style reminds me a lot of Lee C
Stephen Henning
This book (and the whole Ryan Lock series) is often compared with Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels. Rightly so, as it sits in the same "gritty thriller with a tough uncompromising hero" space.

I've only read Lockdown so far. Lock is a good character. More vulnerable than the unstoppable, superman Reacher. He's equally tough and shrewd, with a similarly strong sense of justice, which he's not afraid to mete out himself.

I enjoyed the book, but personally I thought there were a few flaws, mainly plot
Mike French
Dec 17, 2014 Mike French rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mike by: Book Addict Shaun
Kathleen Wild
No Jack Reacher

While the storyline moves along, propelled by action, and some of the characters have good bones, Black's novel did not leave me wanting more adventures by the protagonist. For what it's worth, I felt this plot was thick on violence and shock value more than substance and promise of a good series.
Gerry Davy
A great start for the first book. I found the plot interesting; the characters believable; and, the entertainment value good, it just didn't jump up and grab me. Regardless, I did enjoy it and would recommend it to anyone who wants a good thriller to read over a weekend.
Ralph
Nice short thriller read. I like the main character, though at times it seems he has always the best way of doing things versus anyone else's opinion. Some of the story was pretty expected, though, still enjoyed reading through them. Will definitely start the next book int his series.
Bev Taylor
do we have a new hero here!

sean lock, security guard, with people in high places who r not what they seem

joseph finder describes the author as - writes with the pace of lee child and the heart of harlan coben

would make an excellent film - very topical

cannot wait to read more of his novels

open up and sit tight!

bev

p.s. the title of the book will become clear - though it could be one of two. tell me what u think!
High Wycombe Library
If you liked Lockdown why not try:

Blood Safari by Deon Meyer
Cut & Run by Matt Hilton
Revenger by Tom Cain
Tyson Adams
Sometime last year Matt Hilton recommended a few authors to me, one of them being Sean Black. I dutifully downloaded a sample of Lockdown onto my Kindle, just letting it sit there, doing the electronic equivilent of gathering dust. Actually, in the digital age, I wonder if we will develop so many little phrases like "gathering dust" since the electronic medium has a lack of physical presence to have relatable descriptions assigned.

Over a year later I finally started Sean's first novel, bought th
Sharon Michael
Somewhat predictable plague/weapons of mass destruction plot with government and corporate involvement. Entertaining read with a fast pace throughout and pretty well maintained tension. The characters were not as individual as I'd prefer, though that may come with later books in the series. Generally speaking, an entertaining A/A read that held my interest.

My biggest criticism would be the romance interest, which seemed to have been added for just two reasons. One, a media link was needed for th
Alessia
La ricetta di questo thriller è delle migliori: ritmo veloce ed incalzante, tema attualissimo e scottante (vi dico solo che tra gli ingredienti c'è anche una malattia che sta facendo tremare il mondo e che comincia con E...)...e un protagonista eccezionale: RYAN LOCK.
Un personaggio a tutto tondo, credibile ed estremamente intrigante.
Il risultato è un thriller avvincente, il primo di una lunga serie.

Gail Frisbie
I have found a new author.

I was looking for a new author, and I found one. This book was easily read and kept my attention. I like Ryan, Ty and Angel. I am purchasing the next one right now!
Lindsay Schmid
Great read

Great read

four stars most definitively earned !! action packed. ending unexpected. well written easy read. excited to read more by Sean black.
Jenni
This was my fourth and final choice from the Transworld Summer Reading Challenge. Whilst chick lit is a favourite genre of mine I also love bloke lit so I thought it'd be good to include a new bloke lit author in my selection. Within a few chapters of this book I was very glad I'd picked it.

Lockdown is the story of Ryan Lock, a security expert employed by a company that is involved in testing products on animals. Within the early chapters everything blows up, the pace picks up and I found myself
Stacey Wright Aumock
I had a terrible time getting into this book. Yes, there was a lot of action from the get-go, but it just didn't resonate well with me. It seemed too much, too soon - and not terribly realistic. I decided to keep with it and accept the book for what it is. I thriller with a hero. Once I made it through the first half, I couldn't put it down! It is action packed and the lead character, Lock, grew on me....as did the other characters. I am planning to read the next in this series. Overall, this is ...more
Marti
Ryan Lock is a fascinating character. He is almost completely fearless, and attractive to women. He can be tender, when it comes to a small boy like Josh, or a rehabilitated dog like Angel. He protects his clients, but is not afraid to get into a fight. This story touches on the subject of testing on animals--very briefly--thank heavens. There is some talk of viruses, and their antidotes. Probably the other unforgettable character is Mareta, a tough refugee woman who is resourceful in bombmaking ...more
Mags Jenkins
Standard stuff here - but that's not a criticism, it's good of its kind. Well drawn characters, fast paced, a quick and easy read. Good enough that I'll probably look out the next in the series.
  • No Shelter (Holly Lin, #1)
  • Divide & Conquer
  • RIPTIDE (Jake Lassiter, #11)
  • Dead Men's Dust (Joe Hunter, #1)
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • From Manhattan with Love (Fifth Avenue #3)
  • Mercenary, (Stratton, #5)
  • Dead Air (Sammy Greene, #1)
  • Black Flagged (Black Flagged #1)
  • Assassin (Samuel Carver, #3)
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • Hurt Machine (Moe Prager, #7)
  • The Ajax Protocol (The Project, #7)
  • Devil's Keep (Bravo Cell One Nine, #1)
  • Night of the Assassin (Assassin, #0.5)
  • Nine Lives (Sam Archer, #1)
  • An Irish Christmas
  • Death Tidies Up (Charlotte LaRue Mystery, #2)
I write the Ryan Lock series of thrillers, which feature ex-military bodyguard Ryan Lock and his partner, former Marine, Ty Johnson. The first two books in the series, Lockdown and Deadlock, hit the Official UK Top 50 Bestseller Chart, and the third, Gridlock, has just been released in hardback. They have have also been translated into Dutch, German, and Russian.

I'm a firm believer in hands-on res
More about Sean Black...

Ryan Lock (6 books)
  • Deadlock (Ryan Lock, #2)
  • Gridlock (Ryan Lock, #3)
  • The Devil's Bounty (Ryan Lock, #4)
  • The Innocent (Ryan Lock, #5)
  • Fire Point (Ryan Lock, #6)
Deadlock (Ryan Lock, #2) Gridlock (Ryan Lock, #3) The Devil's Bounty (Ryan Lock, #4) Lock & Load (Ryan Lock, #4.5) The Innocent (Ryan Lock, #5)

“Thousands of people in the city who lived in walk-ups dreamed of moving out so they could escape having to climb flights of stairs. Yet here she was, surrounded by women of her age and younger, paying for the privilege.” 0 likes