Start by marking “Lockdown” as Want to Read:
Lockdown

Lockdown (Ryan Lock #1)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  1,209 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
A DEADLY MISSION
It may be Christmas Eve in New York, but for ex-military bodyguard Ryan Lock it's business as usual. His task: to protect one of America's most ruthless businessmen.

A BLOODY SHOOTOUT
Suddenly gunshots ring out. People run for cover. Innocent bystanders are mown down. Amid the chaos, Lock's hunt for the killers turns into an explosive game of cat and mouse.

ON
Kindle Edition, US Edition, 528 pages
Published August 25th 2011 by Sean Black Digital (first published July 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Lockdown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lockdown

Giacomo
Dec 30, 2012 Giacomo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started off fantastic!
I love to get lost in a book, whether it is a mystery, a thriller, SciFi, Fantasy, History, Biography…it doesn’t matter, as long as the writing is good, the mistakes kept to a minimum, and the characters engaging with a good and believable plot. Lockdown started off with all of these. I had no trouble getting into Ryan Lock, the main character, and the plot seemed to be moving along at a nice pace, with no big holes; in fact, I was so involved I read half the book the first
Best Crime Books & More
Well I am a fan of this type of book anyway and wondered whether this would be up to scratch. There is so much competition out there that it is hard to grab the readers attention but can honestly say that Sean Black certainly grabbed mine. This is the first novel with the lead character of Ryan Lock. Lock is an ex-soldier who now works for a Pharmaceuticals company. He runs the operations team there as an elite bodyguard. Things turn sour when an animal protest march goes wrong and Lock is worki ...more
Carol
Jul 31, 2016 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lockdownby Sean Black
Ryan Lock series Book 1
3.73's

It may be Christmas Eve in New York, but for ex-military bodyguard Ryan Lock it's business as usual. His task: to protect the CEO of the world's largest bio-technology company from a group of radical, and highly determined, activists. When a failed assassination attempt leaves the streets of midtown littered with bodies, and hours later the son of the company's chief research scientist is abducted from his Upper West Side prep school, Lock's hunt
Book Addict Shaun
Jul 05, 2012 Book Addict Shaun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2012
After reading so many books of this genre I was becoming quite bored with it. Nothing shocks or surprises you anymore when you've read so many similar books. That said I loved this book (and read it in 24 hours). I liked the main character immediately and the story was good too and kept you guessing for most of the book, and even after certain characters are revealed for what they are the twists still keep coming resulting in one of my favourite endings of a book (in this genre anyway, similar s ...more
James III
Not a bad book, just not a good one.
Sean Black’s first novel has all the elements one would expect from a modern thriller. Unfortunately, there’s not much else. Ryan Lock is your ex-military specialist finding his way in the rough unkind world. He has all the appropriate baggage – ex-girlfriend, haunting memories of adventures gone by; along with the equally expected skill set and best buddy.
Lock is now the head of security for a large pharmaceutical. During a protest by animal rights supporter
Scott Parsons
Jan 03, 2016 Scott Parsons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime
This debut novel by Sean Black shows promise. Ryan Lock and his buddy Ty, both ex-military, provide security to the head of a pharmaceutical company who is under attack from an animal rights' organization for testing their products on animals. The CEO agrees t0 meet with the head of the group after which they hold a press conference during which the CEO announces his company will suspend animal testing. As he rises to speak, the animal rights' organizer is taken out by a sniper's bullet. Was it ...more
Stuart
Sep 07, 2009 Stuart rated it it was ok
Blood Rose Books
In his debut novel, Sean Black looks to what extend a man will go to discover the truth, even it cost him everything.

Christmas eve in New York and still the city is not sleeping and that includes the protesters outside one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the United States and it is Ryan Lock's job to keep the CEO of the company safe. When an assassination goes wrong, and there are innocent bodies littering the street Lock believes this was something more than an assassination attempt.
Jen
May 23, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOCKDOWN is the first book in Sean Black's Ryan Lock series and I'm very excited that I don't have to wait a year for the next book - one of the benefits of discovering a series late. This is a fun action-adventure novel with a little bit of everything in it. You can't argue that Lock's a real character when he's knocked out in the first 20 pages. And the shaved head with stitches isn't going to win him People's Sexist Man contest. But he's smart and funny and determined; I think I'm smitten. Lo ...more
Jenifer Mohammed
Really enjoyed it!

This as a great story. It starts off with Ryan Lock providing close protection services for a corporation when an animal rights protestor is murdered, then a young boy is kidnapped and the story explodes. There are layers of complexity and it's hard at first to figure out who the bad guys really are. When you finally realize what is going on, it will stun you. Great first entry in the series!
Charles Ray
Feb 21, 2016 Charles Ray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ryan Lock, an ex-military cop with the British military, and his partner, retired Marine, Tyrone Johnson, work as a protective security detail for Meditech, a pharmaceutical/biotechnology firm that’s embroiled in a battle with animal rights activists. When the head of the animal rights group is gunned down on the front steps of Meditech immediately after brokering an agreement with the company’s CEO, Ryan and Tyrone find themselves engaged in a fight for their lives as threads of secret plots be ...more
Gareth Otton
Feb 10, 2016 Gareth Otton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Oh, I see. Lockdown is a play on the protagonist's name and not really pertaining to anything about the story. What a wonderfully cheesy way to scare people away from what is actually quite a good book.

I enjoy a playful title as much as anyone else, the trouble is when that title seems too much like some run of the mill pulp-fiction. With nothing else to go off other than the title and the synopsis, I was close to not reading this book as I expected it wasn't going to be anything good. A time r
Robert
Jan 22, 2016 Robert rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fairly standard thriller. It was a fast read. Overall it is subpar. The protagonist was likable and I enjoyed the relationships between he and his partner (Ty) and he and his ex-girlfriend (Carrie). There are some cute/clever moments, but those quickly get spoiled by really clunky moments. Or maybe more accurately spoiled by not knowing how to get out of the cute/clever moments.

The reason not to read this book.... The book felt dated. I read it in 2015 it was released in 2009, but fel
Lynda
Feb 03, 2016 Lynda rated it it was amazing
Meditech was a hotbed for confrontations with no shortage of agitators, whether it was the protesters, the CEO and his son or the Counter Attack Team, head of security Ryan Lock had to stay on his toes every minute. An abducted child, immoral testing and bioterrorism sent Ryan in a deadly race against time and it was running out at a fast clip.

Unbelievable, realistic and riveting barely defined the fast paced drama of “Lockdown”. My interest was immediately captured from the beginning with the
Vicki - I Love Reading
Apr 23, 2014 Vicki - I Love Reading rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
I really struggled at the start of this book. I just couldn't get into it and my concentration was everywhere but the book.
Reading when poorly is not always a good idea.
Luckily i'd seen some good reviews on the book by a couple of trusted book bloggers, so i put it down for a few days and started it again when i felt a little better.

Right from the start then, I liked Ryan Lock, the main character. (only liked.. so my reading blogger friend Kat, doesn't have to rip my eyes out thinking i want hi
Jim A
Nov 13, 2013 Jim A rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing really special here. First book of a series that unfortunately I have read out of order.

On the plus side it is a fast paced thriller covering kidnapping, assassination, terrorists and corporate misdeeds.

On the negative side, it's very predictable.

But, as it was a Free For Kindle offering, it was very inexpensive entertainment.

Carol
Jul 31, 2016 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lockdown by Sean Black
Ryan Lock series Book 1
3.75's

Plum-crazy
Nov 17, 2014 Plum-crazy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

New York.
It may be Christmas in New York, but for ex-soldier turned elite bodyguard Ryan Lock, it's business as usual: his mission is to protect one of America's most ruthless businessmen.

A Bloody Shoot-Out.
Suddenly gunshots ring out. People run for cover. Innocent people are mown down. Amid the chaos, Lock's hunt for the killers turns into an explosive game of cat and mouse.

A Deadly Secret.
Lock's search for the truth takes him from the rooftops of a New York skyscraper to a heavily fort
Dave
Jun 25, 2016 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised to see some comments about typo's and grammar as I did not see any problems in the version currently available. I normally highlight and bookmark so I can provide feedback to the author and I found none.
I found the main character's focus as a bodyguard to be refreshing. A true bodyguard mentality of protect my client as opposed to muscle being used as a bodyguard who always think about fighting as the solution to everything. I enjoyed the story and was still sorting thru the clue
Connie Becerra
May 11, 2014 Connie Becerra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good series to read.
Elizabeth Maddrey
Jul 19, 2013 Elizabeth Maddrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Enjoyed this quite a bit - nearly 5 stars, honestly. Definitely in the realm of Brad Thor (not quite up to Vince Flynn), a solid, page-turning ride.
Gustambro
Jan 27, 2014 Gustambro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The alternative to Jack Reacher, but without all the action and the kick-ass attitude. Ryan Lock is as smart but still human!
Rishika S.
I'd been meaning to read Lock Down for a while now. It's blurb had me hooked and I expected to read an absolute blockbuster of a book that would keep me at the edge of my seat. But while Lock Down has many good things that are going for it, it also has its downfalls that pull its rating lower. I would have expected this book to gain a 4 star or more but, for me, it's settled at 3.5 stars out of 5.

The good aspects of the book include Sean Black's writing style. His style reminds me a lot of Lee C
Stephen Henning
This book (and the whole Ryan Lock series) is often compared with Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels. Rightly so, as it sits in the same "gritty thriller with a tough uncompromising hero" space.

I've only read Lockdown so far. Lock is a good character. More vulnerable than the unstoppable, superman Reacher. He's equally tough and shrewd, with a similarly strong sense of justice, which he's not afraid to mete out himself.

I enjoyed the book, but personally I thought there were a few flaws, mainly plot
Ron
Dec 31, 2015 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the premise of "Lockdown" is good but in the last few chapters the action gets convoluted and hard to keep track of. The plot deals with a large drug company that is attempting to short circuit FDA rules by testing a new anti viral drug on humans. This leads to all kinds of havoc including a terrorist attack in New York City. Lots of characters, good and bad, and lots of excitement. Could easily be made into a Hollywood action movie.
Mike French
Dec 17, 2014 Mike French rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mike by: Book Addict Shaun
M
Dec 04, 2015 M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unspeakably dumb, dry and, er, something else beginning with 'd', but enjoyable in a 'silly' way. Possibly caught me at the right moment as I was in the mood for an Alpha male who mostly grunts and doesn't shave and can Defeat Bad Guys. But then, when am I not? As Bonnie Tyler once said, 'Where have all the good men gone?' Well not into the pages of this book, Bonnie, but it's a passable read nonetheless.
Greg Dill
Sep 18, 2015 Greg Dill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent read for a first-time author. Kept me fully engaged and was always full of action, mystery, and intrigue. It did seem the grammatical errors became more abundant towards the end of the book. Nevertheless, it's very readable and enjoyable. Reminiscent of a Brad Thor or Vince Flynn novel. I look forward to reading Black's sequel, "Dead Lock".
Kathleen Wild
No Jack Reacher

While the storyline moves along, propelled by action, and some of the characters have good bones, Black's novel did not leave me wanting more adventures by the protagonist. For what it's worth, I felt this plot was thick on violence and shock value more than substance and promise of a good series.
Lynne Isaacs
Dec 21, 2015 Lynne Isaacs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Light shines on the shadows

At first the story seems a bit over the top until one really thinks about it. We, the public, have no idea what really goes on in the "shadows".
The writing is great and packed with suspense and action. The book challenges one on some controversial issues as well.
  • Dead Men's Dust (Joe Hunter, #1)
  • Divide & Conquer
  • No Shelter (Holly Lin, #1)
  • Devil's Keep (Bravo Cell One Nine, #1)
  • Mercenary, (Stratton, #5)
  • Assassin (Samuel Carver, #3)
  • Riptide (Jake Lassiter, #5)
  • Stockholm: A Novel
  • Truth Lies Bleeding
  • Grave Instinct
  • Irrefutable
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • Six Seconds
  • Domestic Enemies: The Reconquista (The Enemies Trilogy, #2)
  • The Executor
  • You Can't Stop Me (Crime Seen #1)
  • White Jade (The Project, #1)
  • Tombstoning
I write the Ryan Lock series of thrillers, which feature ex-military bodyguard Ryan Lock and his partner, former Marine, Ty Johnson. The first two books in the series, Lockdown and Deadlock, hit the Official UK Top 50 Bestseller Chart, and the third, Gridlock, has just been released in hardback. They have have also been translated into Dutch, German, and Russian.

I'm a firm believer in hands-on res
More about Sean Black...

Ryan Lock (7 books)
  • Deadlock (Ryan Lock, #2)
  • Gridlock (Ryan Lock, #3)
  • The Devil's Bounty (Ryan Lock, #4)
  • The Innocent
  • Fire Point (Ryan Lock, #6)
  • The Edge of Alone (Ryan Lock, #7)

“Thousands of people in the city who lived in walk-ups dreamed of moving out so they could escape having to climb flights of stairs. Yet here she was, surrounded by women of her age and younger, paying for the privilege.” 0 likes