High Season

High Season (Frank Coffin Mysteries #1)

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Frank Coffin had been a well-respected Baltimore homicide detective. But when he started having panic attacks at crime scenes, he was forced to go home to Cape Cod, where the worst crimes were usually break-ins, bicycle thefts, and domestic disputes. That is, until a vacationing televangelist turns up dead on the beach wearing a wig, a muumuu, and one size-twelve pump. Not...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Minotaur Books (first published September 18th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about High Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High Season

D
Dec 03, 2009 D rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the quirky, easy whodunnit read
Recommended to D by: Lynn (upon purging her library)
Shelves: whodunit
Okay, slightly more than two stars. It was an enjoyable fluff read about a quirky detective who gets queasy around bodies and is suddenly faced with a stack of them in his quiet resort hometown. There is some cuteness, and the writing is fair to good, but I confess that some of the cliche's set my teeth on edge. For example, the detective is paunchy and graying and mentally unstable and lives in a junkyard of a house, yet his girlfriend is a full ten years younger, a yoga instructor with a perfe...more
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Jake Landry,
SETTING: Provincetown, Massachusetts
SERIES: Police procedural
RATING: 2.75
RATING: 3 quills

Provincetown is a town located at the extreme tip of Cape Cod in Massachusetts. Sometimes called "P-town", the town is known for its beaches, harbor, artists, tourist industry, and is perhaps the best-known gay summer resort on the east coast of the United States. In the past, the locals could count on the advent of Labor Day to see the population decrease; however, that is no longe...more
Clare
This is Jon Loomis's first book in a hopefully long series of books about Detective Frank Coffin who works out of Provincetown, Massachusetts. Unfortunately I read the second in the series first (Mating Season). I would have liked to read these books in the order they were written. Nevertheless the lack of sequence did nothing to dull my enjoyment of this wonderful mystery novel.

Frank Coffin is a hoot. Formerly a big-city detective, he moved to Provincetown when he started having panic attacks a...more
John
Not a bad use of some leftover Audible dollars, and worth the current price of $4.95 there. The only thing I didn't care for was having to listen to (as opposed to skim past) the TMI sex scenes between Coffin and his girlfriend - ugh! Charles Bice's narration was fine, except for his habit of pronouncing the nearby town of Orleans as OR-lee-ans; I've always heard it as Or-LEANS.
As for the story itself, the scene-setting worked well (I've never been to P'town myself), and the pacing moved along...more
Mark
Pretty good. Interesting first book, we'll see if they get better. Can't help questioning some choices, such as leaving an obvious member of a cabal to his own thing. Plus realizing that if the main bad guy hadn't tried to kill the protagonist, they might not have caught him. They were kinda getting close, but they were still spinning wheels.
Trudy
Jun 13, 2014 Trudy added it
So Frank Coffin hates tourists. He's got a yoga instructor girlfriend who wants a baby and wishes his partner, Lola, wasn't a lesbian. Sounds like a man ready for paternity to me. Not too much, so far, to endear Frank to me. Set in Provincetown, the author references places loosely based on actual businesses. I think the Tip Top Diner was actually Tips for Tops'n on Bradford St. that is closed now. There's a nursing home on Alden St. that could be Valley View Nursing Home where Frank's mother li...more
Chris Leuchtenburg
The funky, gay Provincetown setting is kinda fun, but the author doesn't do that much with it. The excessively creative violence and shear number of murders were too much for me -- a little too Clive Cussler for my taste.
Brian
Well, I had a really great time reading this book because it is set in Provincetown on Cape Cod, so it was instantly fun and familiar. The nature of the mystery itself is not constructed in a manner than can begin to touch some of the better ones out there today, like "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn, which is a NY Times Bestseller and is quite well done. BUT, some reads are for fun...and this was fun. Immediately downloaded "Mating Season", which is book two of the series. My hope is that Loomis, l...more
Kristin
I listened to this book and thoroughly enjoyed the narration. The plusses were some inspired names and turns of phrases. Minuses were way too much testosterone and hackneyed cliches. Plot seemed thin and contrived. Forgettable.
Robert
This was a very nicely done murder mystery. The first body to turn up is a homophobic nationally known Reverend. Found dressed in drag on a strip of beach known as Dick Dock. Soon others will follow and it will be up to Frank Coffin to unravel all of the clues before someone else, or maybe himself or his partner, gets whacked. This book reminded of a nice roast placed in the slow cooker. Given some time it can turn up a tasty dish. While moving slowly, the book does have a method to it and I thi...more
Lisa
If you want a bit of mystery in a familiar setting, check out High Season by Jon Loomis . Frank Coffin is an aged cop who comes back from Baltimore to his hometown of Provincetown seeking more relaxed police work. He soon has his hands full with multiple murders, a young girlfriend who wants to have a baby, and colorful P-Towners with large personalities. It's a quick read with some laughs and decent character development, and a good first novel. We'll be sure to see some more Frank Coffin myste...more
Shiela
I really enjoyed this quirky murder mystery up until the resolution which seemed to come out of nowhere. Well plotted with so many characters and occurrences, it was a delightful challenge to keep track of who’s doing what with whom. With characters named Dr. Branstool, who is the director and head doctor of the Senior citizen’s home, to Gordita Derriere, a cross dressing bar singer, this darkly comic novel is sure to put a smile on your face and one time or another.
Phil
The first in the series about a former Baltimore detective whose phobias send him back to his hometown, an approximation of Provincetown, Massachusetts, where he becomes a local cop. Loomis captures the unusual tone of Princetown's high season through the eyes of a local. Bodies start piling up and the cop has to live through his fears.

Not a bad start; some engaging characters, and several totally unnecessary sex scenes.

Two and one-half stars.
Chi Dubinski
Frank Coffin was a Baltimore homicide detective who started having panic attacks at crime scenes. He escapes to a low pressure job as a cop on Cape Cod. But when the body of a local anti-gay minister turns up—in full drag—life as a cop in Provincetown doesn’t seem like such an easy gig. The book started out full of promise but bogged down with a subplot about a real estate development scam.
Leah
After hearing Jon Loomis on NPR talk about living and writing in Provincetown, I added his book "High Season" to my must-read list. While it took a few chapters to get into the story, once the story got going, I couldn't put it down. With this mystery, who-done-it, I really had NO CLUE who the bad guy was until the second-to-last chapter. That makes for a great page turner!
Barry
Loomis's grip on exposition is amazing. Even if the characters were somewhat fuzzy and the mystery pretty predictable, the skill in which Loomis uses exposition alone is worthy of 4 stars. In his novel, he made a fishing town in new england come to life whether it be through beams of sunlight through windows or seals poking their heads out of the water after a scene.
Kate
Oct 05, 2007 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any mystery fan
With a great sense of place and interesting characters, including the compelling protaganist Frank Coffin, High Season will have you feeling like you have explored Provincetown, including aspects that tourists never get to see.

Jon Loomis has a way with names, including the victim that starts the book off, Reverend Ron Merkin
Derrick
I enjoyed this book. I thought the characters were interesting, as was the story. It's especially enjoyable if you know P'Town well at all, as many of the places are recognizable (even if they masked by pseudonyms), as are the characters that populate the town. I'm looking forward to reading the next book(s) in the series.
Lynn
A great murder mystery, a fun location, interesting characters, and the man writes like a poet. Who could ask for more? I enjoyed the story immensely and even better, I loved how he phrases things. I was struck on several occasions by his choice of words. Looking forward to more by this author.
Bette Ammon
An auspicious beginning for first time novelist Jon Loomis. The setting is a small town on the Massachusetts Cape - the main character is a likeable and gritty detective who doesn't handle death very well. Other characters are memorable; the story keeps you guessing.
Headed to the Cape for the weekend. Figured I would read a book set in Provincetown!

Some very cool tidbits and history about the Cape. The real estate crime aspect almost put me to sleep. I wanted a good mystery- and did not get it.
Chris
I head Jon Loomis on an NPR interview and liked the story of Det Frank Coffey. Lots of characters (most likeable) and the story moves along nicely. The ending came on a bit quickly- but enjoyed the book- two more in the series-
Natalie
reminded me of a 2002? book called "P-town" I read. Detective story set in P-town: drinking, sex, murder, drinking, sex, drinking, phobias, sex, drinking, murder, drinking...sounds like the cape to me.
Jessie
More like 3.5. A little like Hiassen, but I think that's just because one always finds interesting people in small beach towns. Set on the Cape, and the atmosphere is good. Characters are very realistic.
Mary
Very well written. Jon is a UWEC professor who lived and worked in Provincetown, MA, i.e., P-town, the setting of the book. His colorful characters are drawn from the local population.
Greg
I picked this mystery up at the library. The description of Provincetown, MA and people was more interesting than the actual mystery. It wasn't an outstanding read, but entertaining.
Hillery
An easy, enjoyable summer read.....nothing brilliant or significant. Murder mystery set in Provincetown, MA with typical quirky (and almost too quirky) small town characters.
Margery
OK but someone will have to work harder to replace Philip R. Craig and his detective who lived on Martha's Vineyard. (Frank Coffin is a retired detective living on Cape Cod.)
Holly
Very fun read. Detective Frank Coffin moves from Baltimore to Provincetown and works to adjust to life there as a single man. Colorful characters and fun setting.
Jon Loomis is an American poet and writer. He is a professor of English at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. Vanitas Motel, his first book of poetry, won the 1997 annual FIELD prize in poetry. He is also the author of the Frank Coffin mysteries set in Provincetown, MA.
More about Jon Loomis...
Mating Season (Frank Coffin Mysteries, #2) Fire Season (Frank Coffin Mysteries, #3) Vanitas Motel: Jon Loomis The Pleasure Principle