Start by marking “In The Steps Of The Master” as Want to Read:
In The Steps Of The Master

In The Steps Of The Master

Here, in the spirit of Bruce Feiler's beloved bestseller Walking the Bible, is a portrait of the Holy Land as a physical embodiment of faith. Dramatically conjuring the beauty of Israel's countryside, In the Steps of the Master also evokes the all-consuming passions and deep-rooted mysteries of Jerusalem—and while much has changed, as Morton says, the essential nature of t ...more
Published March 28th 2002 by Da Capo Press (first published October 1934)

To ask other readers questions about In The Steps Of The Master, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In The Steps Of The Master

Esme Vos
Jul 17, 2014 Esme Vos rated it it was amazing
H.V. Morton traveled through Palestine, Syria and Lebanon in the early 1930s and wrote this fascinating memoir of his trip. He was a devout Christian and the goal of his trip was to see the places where Jesus lived, preached and died. Hence, he named the book, "In the Steps of the Master." He paints a picture of the Holy Land that is still recognizable today (the holy sites and the practices of the different Christian churches remain the same), but so many aspects are different, for example, in ...more
Lawrence
Apr 25, 2009 Lawrence rated it really liked it
A very well written book by a man who is both imaginative and realistic. His descriptions of places were beautiful (e.g., the geographical "break" between Judea and the Galilee). His people are wonderful (e.g., the Abyssinian monks, the inhabitants of Bania where he becomes "Father of the Dog"). His text had historical, religious, and adventurer interest. He is really quite a good travel writer. He is definitely a Christian and I found his connections between what he observed and what the gospel ...more
Julie Davis
Aug 12, 2016 Julie Davis rated it really liked it
Rereading at bedtime. Such a great book.

=========

I'd give this five stars except that Morton seemed to have an unreasoning dislike of Jerusalem in the beginning of the book which felt like anti-Semitism. I'm not one that tends to notice that sort of thing but it did put a sour feel on that part. Luckily I was able to flip to where he begins touring the countryside and then it is vintage H.V. Morton.

No wonder he was such a popular travel writer. No one I know is so good at weaving sense of place
Monica
Jun 06, 2009 Monica rated it it was amazing
I was given this book years ago, and for some unexplainable reason, haven't read it until now. What a shame! It is a truly lovely, inspiring book. H.V. Morton takes us with him as he travels to the Holy Land in the 1930's, retracing Jesus' steps. The book is a travellogue, but it isn't written as a tourist, but rather as a believer on a pilgrimmage. There isn't a single picture, yet the locales he describes jump so vividly from the page, and create such a distinct mental image, that I actually ...more
Jeff
Mar 17, 2016 Jeff rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me by a pen-pal friend who was living overseas as a DOD teacher. This book chronicles the author's tour through the holy lands of Palestine, Syria and Lebanon in the early 1930s before Israel became a state. The author's writings, photographs, lucid descriptions, and biblical parallels of the areas and towns where Jesus walked are fascinating and compelling. I couldn't put this book down. Thank you, Annie, for the wonderful gift!
Stacy
Feb 06, 2008 Stacy rated it really liked it
Reading it now - like a travel diary of Palestine in the 1930's, with the author writing in first person, who stops and reads his Bible (KJV)as he travels the Holy Land.
Musicat
May 18, 2012 Musicat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful writing, wonderful imagery. Made me feel I was there with him. I must give it back to its owner but will be buying my own copy :)
Richard Bartholomew
H. V. Morton’s travelogue remains a highly readable blend of observation, historical knowledge, and imaginative reconstruction. As a one-time bestseller, the book is an important source for how the "Holy Land" was interpreted for a popular audience in the 1930s, and for how the Biblical archaeology of the time was incorporated into contemporary "middle brow" popular Christianity. Morton sentimentalizes that through the Bedouin "Abraham lives on into the modern world", and he writes that "the ...more
Becky
Jun 07, 2013 Becky rated it liked it
I did enjoy this one. The sections I enjoyed, I almost loved. However, there were plenty of sections that I didn't fully enjoy. Overall, I liked the way he captured Palestine in the early 1930s. I enjoyed reading his rambles about his daily journeys, his sharing of small details both present-day (1930s) and historical (all time periods). I appreciated the subject as well: Morton's interest in the New Testament, in the gospels, in the life of Christ.
Peg Lotvin
Mar 05, 2010 Peg Lotvin rated it it was amazing
Love this guy's travel books written from the 30's to the 60's. In the Steps of the Master was written in 1934 about a trip taken to the Holy Land to follow the travels of Christ during his life. Wonderful descriptions of the cities, ruins, small Arab towns, the overlay of Greek, Roman, Assyrian, Jewish, Christian communities that made the Holy Land before Israel was Israel.
Robert
Jul 11, 2014 Robert rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully entertaining and enlightening account of the Middle East, essentially Palestine, between the two World Wars.
Of great note are his accounts, written in 1933, of the Palestinians' obvious dislike (if not hatred) of him at times because they thought he was a Jew. He was wearing a hat with a brim.
Lucy
Jun 12, 2012 Lucy rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy this as much as 'In the Steps of St Paul'. I found the chronology both of his own travels and as related to the life of Christ rather muddled, though the sense of place is wonderful. Also, I was a little uneasy with his generalisations about the character of the races he encountered. I'm going to read his UK travel writing next.
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2010
Bernard
Bernard rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2007
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2013
Jo Van
Jo Van rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Jean
Jean rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2014
Olga
Olga rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2013
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2016
Gene Coatney
Gene Coatney rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2014
Edelweiss
Edelweiss rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2015
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2014
Chelsea Rowe
Chelsea Rowe rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2013
David Welch
David Welch rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2012
Francis
Francis rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2014
Martin Mostek
Martin Mostek rated it really liked it
May 18, 2012
Jade the Wonder Cat
Jade the Wonder Cat rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2014
Peter Milligan
Jan 17, 2015 Peter Milligan rated it it was amazing
Brilliant; loved reading this.
Fiona
Fiona rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Samuel
Samuel rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2014
Henry Canova Vollam (H. V.) Morton, FRSL, was a journalist and pioneering travel writer from Lancashire, England, best known for his prolific and popular books on Britain and the Holy Land. He first achieved fame in 1923 when, while working for the Daily Express, he scooped the official Times correspondent during the coverage of the opening of the Tomb of Tutankhamon by Howard Carter in Egypt.

In t
More about H.V. Morton...