Start by marking “The Lost Key: A Mystery with Whole Numbers” as Want to Read:
The Lost Key: A Mystery with Whole Numbers

The Lost Key: A Mystery with Whole Numbers

3.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
At Sifu Faizas Kung Fu School, kids learn to be strong and fast. They also learn to be smart, cool-headed, and honest. So Joy, Adam, Sam, and Amy are surprised when the key to the school is stolenas well as all their kung fu gear. Now theyll have to use all kinds of calculationsaddition, subtraction, multiplication, and divisionto figure out the clues, follow the thieves, ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Graphic Universe (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Key, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Key

Alyssa Lehner
Apr 29, 2014 Alyssa Lehner rated it really liked it
This was very short and simple, illustrating basic whole number mathematics. It's probably most appropriate for elementary students, although I will be keeping it in my classroom for those middle schoolers who still struggle with adding and subtracting whole numbers. For those who simply need a more entertaining text to capture their math interest, I will be checking out the rest of this series.
Picture Books
Jan 26, 2010 Picture Books marked it as to-read
Recommended to Picture Books by: Report from ALA conference
I chose this book for my Picture Books as Sequential Art class because as I was reading a post from the Good Comics for Kids blog (ALA: A random walk through the exhibit floor) I was putting different books on hold at the library to take a look at and I skipped over the mention of this series, quickly dismissing it. I thought something along the lines of "Oh, it's non-fiction and I don't like math or Manga, so it doesn't count." Doesn't count? Bias alert. Screech! Put on the brakes! I'm glad I r ...more
Amanda
Jan 19, 2015 Amanda rated it it was ok
I read this book because in class we had to read a graphic novel. At first I thought I would hate graphic novels because they are a book genre. I also thought it wouldn't be an interesting read, however I was wrong. This book was interesting and made you think because it was a mystery. I suggest this book to all ages because it is a very easy read.
Dolores
3 1/2 stars. This is a cute series. I like the concept of mixing math and graphic novels.
Nick
Not great literature, but a fun, simple mystery that requires the use of arithmetic skills to reach the solution. The only weakness I can see is that the reading level for the book is higher than the math level. It might not be as attractive to kids who are already beyond this level of math.
The book teaches simple lessons on martial arts and philosophy, as a bonus, and may attract kids who like martial arts stories.
Karen
Apr 17, 2014 Karen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
For those who struggle with math I think this book might just end up in Fractions itself. Who really thinks this book might help? If only the story and pictures attempted to match and perhaps resemble a fraction - it might have been more math relevant. Skip this series.
Hillary
Apr 23, 2013 Hillary rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this graphic novel math adventure. When students from a nearby soccer team break into the Kung Fu school, it is up to the students to use their problem solving skills to find their gear and make sure they have all of it.
Brian
Jul 14, 2014 Brian rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Middle School
Shelves: oblock
I teach reading and math and so I loved being able to do some reading in my math classes and was further encouraged that (being a graphic novel) the kids were just as enthusiastic about it - most of them at least.
Mrs.
Jan 22, 2011 Mrs. rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic
Another graphic novel about bullies. The graphics are good and the story follows along well. Interwoven are math concepts of whole numbers. This book would be suitable for elementary students.
Desria Seay
Mar 10, 2015 Desria Seay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME

I homes school my children and sometimes since my daughter likes comic books I let her read some of these
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
It is about two kids that steal a key, and kids who try to get it back. J.S.
Snow
Oct 03, 2009 Snow rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-comics
read for NoveList recommended reading lists
Megan
J
J rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Library Project
Library Project marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
Maxim
Maxim rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2015
Knight
Knight rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2015
sylvanus ifeamazi
sylvanus ifeamazi is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2015
Knight
Knight rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Amargosa Valley
Amargosa Valley marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Abigail Files
Abigail Files rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2015
Olyvia
Olyvia rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2015
Olyvia
Olyvia rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2015
Cris
Cris rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2014