Start by marking “The Darwin Awards III: Survival of the Fittest (Darwin Awards, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Darwin Awards III: Survival of the Fittest (Darwin Awards, #3)

The Darwin Awards III: Survival of the Fittest (Darwin Awards #3)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  704 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Honoring those who improve our gene pool by inadvertently removing themselves fromit, The Darwin Awards III includes more than one hundred brand new, hilariously macabre mishaps and misadventures.

From a sheriff who inadvertently shot himself twice, to the insurance defrauder who amputated his leg with a chainsaw; from a farmer who avoided bee stings by sealing his head in
Published September 28th 2004 by Plume (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Darwin Awards III, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Darwin Awards III

How Not to Be Popular by Jennifer ZieglerStorky by Debra GarfinkleSnarky Responses to Yahoo! Answers by Matthew  CoryWife Maintenance Quarterly by Michael PughThe Darwin Awards Next Evolution by Wendy Northcutt
LOL
12th out of 17 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Bryan
You would think that we humans have common sense. Many don't think before they act so they often end up injuring themselves and or death. Some of these stories don't seem true, but they are very entertaining and fun to read. Many people have read/wrote stories about themselves and have become angry to reading them. So then they go against the Darwin awards. So funny, they don't want people to read their humiliation. But, I'm sure i would feel the same way. I like that there were multiple stories ...more
David Ward
The Darwin Awards III: Survival of the Fittest (Darwin Awards #3)
by Wendy Northcutt (Plume 2004) (304.64). Darwin Awards are given to those who render the greatest service to mankind by "naturally selecting" themselves out of the gene pool through some monumental ineptness or miscalculation (i.e., the guy who shoots himself fatally by hitting a bullet with a hammer to see what would happen"). This is a new collection of stories of jaw-droppingly stupid behavior by people who are now dead as a re
Kristin
This is the 4th or 5th collection of Darwin Awards stories I've read, and they're always good for a few laughs at the stupidity of our fellow humans. Northcutt divided this book by gender, with men and women each getting a chapter of their own, plus chapters featuring people of both genders whose act of stupidity involved certain common factors like fire or machinery.
As in other books, Northcutt includes Winners, Honorable Mentions, and unverified personal stories. Winners are those who succeede
Oldfirefox_win7
I found that this was just more of the same stuff. Nothing surprisingly interesting or new, just more of the same. And because of that, I find it so much more boring. Although I did read the fourth before this one. The only reason I’m not giving it 1 star is that it still has those science articles. They provide knowledge.
Simon
This was the very first Darwin awards book I got, I got it from a friend for my Titanic themed birthday party which was in my Grade 9 year.

I remember not getting the point of these at first, but now fully appreciate and understand what the Darwin Awards are all about, and I am grateful for that part of the world to be now a part of my intellect.

Whenever I am accused of not using my common sense, I can think of these books and feel much better that I am not as lost as these causes. Although ther
Ken
Amusing in parts, if you’ve read the others in the series this is pretty much more of the same, only it has the taste of cold leftovers. Lots of padding in the form of quotes and “background” info stretch it out a bit.
Brian
Entertaining in spurts but not as much so as I had hoped. May give another one a try. Good for listening on the commute, no long attention span needed!
Sean Wylie
Cautionary tale about ways people have removed themselves from the human gene pool. Enjoyable read and really makes me feel smart!
I always feel guilty reading the Darwin Awards, and laughing at the unfortunate demises of a number of innocent people. That said, the books are really funny and they always kind of make me feel a little better about myself. I know that if I'm stealing scrap metal (not that I would) it's best not to try and cut down the beams supporting the ceiling of the room I am in, for example. The Darwin Awards books are always good for a laugh and you find yourself shaking your head at how stupid the "winn ...more
Kate
Mar 25, 2011 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who see the light side of death
Shelves: science
Morally questionable and in poor taste? Most likely. Hilarious? Most certainly! This is a hard copy collection of stories submitted to the Darwin Awards ([http://http://www.darwinawards.com/]), unofficial awards for people who remove themselves from life in the stupidest of fashions.

This is a quick, light-hearted read. Great to pick up and get a laugh from. If you're looking for essays on the human condition, look elsewhere. This is all fluff.
Christian
Another mostly meh and occasionally funny collection of real stories about idiots who managed to remove themselves from the gene pool in the most stupid ways. Great read if you want to apologize to other species in behalf of the Homo sapiens. Not as hooking as the other collections.
Heather
Very entertaining stories. I particularly enjoyed the ones with explosions causing people's demises due to things like banging on live explosives with a hammer.
Putting in the disqualified Darwins was also very good to read. I liked understanding why they were disqualified, and the explanations were very good so the reader could understand the full circumstances that got the story disqualified.
Evan
So, this book makes me feel a lot smarter than the last couple books I read. Although I don't agree with the basic assumptions this book makes about science, but it is a highly entertaining book to read. Gotta say that people can be both very smart and incredibly stupid! Thanks to Mrs Northcutt for this fun read!
Sabina
This had some very funny stories that made me laugh out loud. Those stories were the ones that got the rating to 3 stars.
There are some in there that aren't so funny. It does show just how stupid some people can be.

Great if you want a quick read with humour, or a break from reading your normal novel.
Lacey
I think I'm getting burned out on these. What used to be hilarious episodes into dumb behavior have now started to compete with everyday life to the point I no longer laugh out loud at these but briefly chuckle before moving on. Too much Worlds Dumbest and redneck TV. I'm definitely over it.
Carrie
Beyond Classic ~ An imperative read. Remember and thank those who take risks and move our race forward, in one way or another (also avoid doing it yourself). An archive of creativity and fearlessness! Feel good about your day, however horrific it's been, hey, at least you didn't do THIS...
Kian
Overall pretty funny. It was very reminiscent of the television show "1,000 ways to die". However, this book is not one of those books that should be read in big doses. Most stories in it are pretty short, and in my opinion should be read individually over time.
Cherie
Oct 25, 2008 Cherie added it
Purely fun, and a good way to feel superior to every other stupid human. To qualify for a Darwin award you only have to end up dead, in a uniquely stupid way, before you have reproduced. Sort of a bathroom book, it you get my drift. I like the website too.
Sam
A further collection of amusing tales of how people have removed or nearly removed themselves from the human gene pool. One must start to wonder the depth of human stupidity if this series can go to a third volume. Still very funny all the same
Hannah
Nothing like reading one of these books to make me feel brilliant. Some of the stories were not really as good as they could be, and I questioned a few of the awards, but I did enjoy the book, as I have enjoyed the other books in the series.
GUS BUS!
Nov 26, 2007 GUS BUS! rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everybody
Ahhhh the stupidity of humans, always refreshing. Ths book is the hilarious story of how people remove themselves from the gene pool. This book is great for everyone, with great stories of complete lack of judgement.
James
Dec 12, 2007 James rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adolescents and adults
The series continues; it seems there is no risk that we will run out of people willing to die doing stupid and dangerous things and thereby remove themselves from the breeding population.
Kana
I always enjoy these books but some of the runner-up's made me cringe or in some cases feel really really bad for the person. Not all of them were idiots doing stupid things.
Danielle
This one is ok, but I've read an earlier addition that I found funnier. There are definitely a few stories that sit high above the others in hilarity.
Barry
Humorous tales of those foolish people whose innane acts removed them from the gene pool - for the author's presumed greater glory of the human race.
Rich
Picked this up on a whim - the first chapter or so was ok, but lost interest as I read on. Some of these stories are pretty sad....
Antoinette
A book you can pick up, put down, and pick up again. I've read the first three and found all entertaining in a macabre way.
DW

The more this series gets published the better I feel walking in society. Natural Selection is Earth's 'cleaning house'.
Anna
Another fun installment. I didn't enjoy the discussions nearly as much as the previous volume, but I liked them nonetheless.
Heidi
This book is great! Although, I do see and understand the thought pattern from some of the award winners. That scares me a bit!
  • The Bride of Anguished English: A Bonanza of Bloopers, Blunders, Botches, and Boo-Boos
  • The Ig Nobel Prizes
  • Life's Little Annoyances: True Tales of People Who Just Can't Take It Anymore
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook
  • It Was a Dark and Stormy Night
  • Does Anything Eat Wasps?: And 101 Other Unsettling, Witty Answers to Questions You Never Thought You Wanted to Ask
  • Homes and Other Black Holes
  • Fanfare for the Area Man: The Onion Ad Nauseam Complete News Archives Volume 15
  • Betty Crocker's New Cookbook
  • Gastroanomalies: Questionable Culinary Creations from the Golden Age of American Cookery
  • The Christian Culture Survival Guide: The Misadventures of an Outsider on the Inside
  • The Museum of Hoaxes
  • Cats for Dummies
  • Duh!: The Stupid History of the Human Race
  • Satisfaction: The Art of the Female Orgasm
  • Non Campus Mentis: World History According to College Students
  • Black Swan COLLECTED TALES, Books 1-3
  • They Call Me Naughty Lola: Personal Ads from the London Review of Books
Wendy Northcutt graduated UC Berkeley with a degree in molecular biology. She began collecting the stories that make up the Darwin Awards in 1993 and founded www.DarwinAwards.com shortly after.

Northcutt is the author of the international bestsellers The Darwin Awards: Evolution in Action, The Darwin Awards 2: Unnatural Selection, The Darwin Awards 3: Survival of the Fittest, and The Darwin Awards
More about Wendy Northcutt...
The Darwin Awards: Evolution in Action (Darwin Awards, #1) The Darwin Awards II: Unnatural Selection (Darwin Awards, #2) The Darwin Awards 4: Intelligent Design (Darwin Awards, #4) The Darwin Awards Next Evolution: Chlorinating the Gene Pool (Darwin Awards, #5) The Darwin Awards Countdown to Extinction