Cosbyology: Essays and Observations From the Doctor of Comedy

Cosbyology: Essays and Observations From the Doctor of Comedy

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  286 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Returning to his early days of comedy, the comic genius and #1 New York Times bestselling author of Congratulations! Now What guarantees us a look at the funny side of life. In his long and illustrious career, Bill Cosby has been many things: award-winning actor, bestselling author, doctor of education, media icon, and role model. But first and foremost, he is a comedian,...more
Published November 7th 2001 by Hyperion (first published 2001)

Kenny
This is my first Bill Cosby book. I've seen The Cosby Show on reruns, so I am curious if the wit from that show will be the same as in this book. The book is divided into multiple chapters on brief reflections on some of Bill Cosby's life. They were hit and misses. Some chapters were funny, and others were as funny as a posterior end of a donkey.

My favorite part was the chapter headed by "Mr. Sapolsky with Love." He is Bill Cosby's geometry teacher in junior high school. Bill Cosby did not belie...more
Go
This started out funny, unfortunately it quickly became drab. It was random and seemingly pointless. I had a few laughs but it was not up to par with his other works. I liked the stories about his changing relationship with his wife after years of marriage. It’s funny because it’s true, at least in my experience it is. When they were newlyweds certain things were cute, then they gradually became a nuisance. For instance, when they went to bed Bill put his leg on top of his wife and she said “Hey...more
Casey
This book gets 3 1/3 stars. Yes. I did give it an extra 1/3. There were some parts that were so funny I was laughing out loud and shaking my head, thinking "oh Bill. What a kid"

But... There were some parts that were distinctly less funny.

Regardless of the comedy of the bit, I loved learning more about Bill Cosby's life.
Marilyn
I stumbled upon this book at the library and it was small, so I got it. It's full of short stories from Bill Cosby's life. It's a nice quick & light read. It's extra fun when you mentally hear it in his voice. Probably anyone would enjoy this book so long as they're not looking for something serious.
Chris
Mar 31, 2011 Chris rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Comedians, senior citizens
I picked up this book thinking that this would be a book with a list of famous jokes he has told but instead found myself reading persoanl stories of Cosby's life with some jokes thrown in. My favorite story was reading about his rise and fall to fame and what it took to understand how you have to get over what you think about yourself and just perform and make the people in the audience laugh. Some stories were not as fun or funny but were interesting to read none the less. I did enjoy this boo...more
Kylene Jones
Love his books.
In this wonderfully funny collection of stand-up material that touches on everything from childhood and marriage to school, sports, and work, Bill Cosby returns to his early days of comedy to give us a look at the funny side of life. Fusing his classic jazzy timing and edgy humor with the intelligence and perception that have made him a huge star, Cosby writes about his first experiences skiing, lying to his mother as a child, and fretting about ingrown hairs in midlife. Fans you...more
Dana
This is a collection of short stories about Bill Cosby's life. A variety of topics are presented with wit and humour. I found 'To Mr. Sapolsky with Love' the funniest as it was really about how karma comes back to bite you in the rear. 'A Gift from God', although funny is very sentimental and the story of Cosby's first skiing trip is another humorous one.

The stories are from Cosby's childhood into adult life, from school to work and leisure. This book was not laugh-out-loud funny for me but had...more
Maurean
I love Bill Cosby. Always have. I think he's funny, without being crass, which is a commodity in short supply with many of today's comedians. Cosby has never been (to me) a laugh-out-loud comedian, but more of the smile-cause-ya-know-its-true kinda guy. As I read, I could hear The Cos telling the story, as he tends to write just as he talks. I enjoyed this, thanks for sending it my way!
Velvet
Jun 05, 2008 Velvet rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Velvet by: Ron Berry
This is a book that teaches young couples, old couples any kind of couple how to fall back in love and stay in love with each other, and he expresses the joys of his own relationship which makes the book more tangible than ever... he really touches some deep areas and with simplicity to iron out the creases.
Sally
I love Bill Cosby - but this was not what I expected. I found it in the biography section of my library - and it's not a biography. It's just a collection of semi-humorous essays by Mr. Cosby. It just...didn't tickle my funny bone enough, I guess, and I didn't get what the point of the book was.
Isman
Jan 22, 2008 Isman rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bill Cosby's fans
There are only two essays that have an impact on me: the one about Bill's early comic days. And the one explaining why old folks are pure. Both made me laugh for several seconds and then think for several minutes.

The others, however, are forgettable.
Hilary
Bill Cosby's distinctive voice comes through loud and clear in this autobiographical collection of essays and schtick. The little narrator voice in my head was definitely his.

I read this to fulfill the part of the Spring 2009 challenge.
Kevin Rummel
Good anecdotes and stories. Felt like reading transcript of stand up routine so not as easy to read as typical prose. Also some humor lost without Cosby's classic delivery. Still worth reading, looking forward to reading his second book.
Brock
They are entertaining stories, but only if you imagine them being narrated by Cosby himself. Otherwise, they are poorly structured and grammatically terrible, like someone took shorthand of Cosby's standup.
Steven
I read this years ago. I remember really enjoying the bit about the ingrown hair, and the bit about eating pork. Not much else really stood out to me, but it was a nice quick read.
Captain
There is no one funnier in my book than Bill Cosby. This book has a few hilarious stories, although none I can recall right now, but anything by Cosby is cool in my book.
The author says this book is kind of a respite in between reading big books -- he's right. If you like Cosby's sense of humor and storytelling, you're apt to like the book.
Ann Amadori
I have always enjoyed Bill Cosby's humor but as he gets older he gets wordier. Some of these stories were short and enjoyable but the longer ones could have been edited a bit.
Trudy
I think Bill Cosby is a brilliant comedian, but this book of short stories is not his best work. Some were amusing, others not at all. Third star is just for being Bill Cosby.
Jenny
This book was alright. At times it read like an elementary school student wrote it. There were some funny essays and some just plain stupid essays.
It was an easy read.
Fabio
It was okay. This is a collection of some of his stand up comedy but it's not funny. It's better watching him present it instead of read it.
Andrea
Thought this would be a good cheer me up book, but reading Bill Cosby is alot different than listening to or watching him. Didn't really like it.
Kathy
I liked this book because it contains several short essays/stories. Some of them didn't have a point or lacked a tidy finish to them.
Beth
Bill Cosby is a great man. Love his stand up comedy. Reading it isn't quite as good as listening to him, but still a fun read.
Leslie
This is Bill Cosby doing what Bill Cosby always does. I could hear his voice throughout all his stories, it was almost freaky.
Joyce
Borrowed from Niagara library.
It was okay. Short essays, humorous of course, about his life. Not great, but okay.
Angela
It was great fun to read, but I think I was so tired I couldn't really get into what the point was.
Kristin
Some essays were funny, some were not. I read it just for a change in pace. Ehh just ok...
Colleen Rue
I loved this book and plan to buy a copy.Bill Cosby is one of the greatest guys around.
Erin
Funny and thought-provoking.

**Cosbyology, rated ages 10+, rated 3.2/5 stars.
  • Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes
  • Stuff On My Cat: The Book
  • How Bluegrass Music Destroyed My Life
  • Cotton: The Biography of a Revolutionary Fiber
  • Dream Catcher: A Memoir
  • ماندن در وضعیت آخر
  • Dreamer's Dictionary
  • The Lineup: The World's Greatest Crime Writers Tell the Inside Story of Their Greatest Detectives
  • Cats for Dummies
  • Dilbert And The Way Of The Weasel
  • I'm Eve
  • Uncle John's Ahh-Inspiring Bathroom Reader
  • Kids Say the Darndest Things!
  • Aches & Pains
  • Cook This, Not That!: Kitchen Survival Guide
  • More Napalm and Silly Putty
  • When the Enemy Strikes: The Keys to Winning Your Spiritual Battles
  • Storm Warning
American comedian, actor, television producer, activist, and luminary. A veteran stand-up performer, he got his start at various clubs, then landed a vanguard role in the 1960s action show I Spy.

He later starred in his own series, The Bill Cosby Show, in the late 1960s. He was one of the major characters on the children's television show for its first two seasons, and created the humorous educati...more
More about Bill Cosby...
Fatherhood The Meanest Thing To Say Time Flies I Didn't Ask to Be Born: (But I'm Glad I Was) Love and Marriage