Start by marking “The Darwin Awards II: Unnatural Selection (Darwin Awards, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Darwin Awards II: Unnatural Selection (Darwin Awards, #2)

The Darwin Awards II: Unnatural Selection (Darwin Awards #2)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  1,074 ratings  ·  61 reviews
The Darwin Awards II: Unnatural Selection brings together a fresh collection of the hapless, the heedless, and the just plain foolhardy among us. Salute the owner of an equipment training school who demonstrates the dangers of driving a forklift by failing to survive the filming of his own safety video. Gawk at the couple who go to sleep on a sloping roof. Witness the shep ...more
Published March 25th 2003 by Plume (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Darwin Awards II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Darwin Awards II

The Book of General Ignorance by John LloydWhy Do Men Have Nipples? by Mark LeynerUncle John's Bathroom Reader by Bathroom Readers' InstituteThe Darwin Awards II by Wendy NorthcuttThe Mayonnaise Affair by Frank Linn
Best Bathroom Books
4th out of 136 books — 46 voters
In The Seraphim City by Eirik Moe Dahll-LarssønThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsThe Classic Gamer's Bible by Alexei Maxim RussellThe Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset by Suzanne CollinsSteelheart by Brandon Sanderson
Books that would make great video games
40th out of 70 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Sean
Perhaps the words on the cover of Wendy Northcutt's "The Darwin Awards II" best sum it up: "A new volume commemorating individuals who improve our gene pool by removing themselves from it in a sublimely idiotic fashion." (For those who want a better explanation of what the Darwin Awards are, see my review of "The Darwin Awards: Next Evolution). In this latest bundle of stupidity, readers are treated to the numerous tales of death, all of which are oddly funny.

The author explains each Darwin Awar
Simon
Wow, failure to complete a book for a long extended period of time. How long was it?

August to February, yikes. i will have that story with a few books that I have left behind.

Anyway, generally this book was a wonderful continuation of the series that causes so much amusement in the facts and fictions of the deaths of our fellow man. and woman on the rare occasion.

The bloody gory stories are the ones that make us cringe in sublime pleasure and eager to share the dastardly tale with others. Half t
Beau Johnston
I'm happy to say that I haven't read any names of people I went to school with. With some of the stuff they got up to in high school, it was a race to see who'd get mentioned first.
Ashley Brown
The second volume in Ms. Northcutt's Darwin Awards Series, I found this book to be better in some ways than the first one - there seemed to be less 'unconfirmed' Darwin Awards (thus more stories that had basis in truth), and less 'urban legends' - which was my main complaint with the first book. However, there was an entire chapter of stories repeated from the first book (or perhaps even earlier in this book, I'm not sure, I just knew I had already read them).

Being said, I did enjoy this book an
Oldfirefox_win7
So I’m a bit late to this one due to how it’s written. It has a few of past fan-favorite Darwin Awards, and I’m not a fan of that simply because I’ve read them before. But the new awards are not so similar anymore, making me give it a 3/5. But for one Award and one Award only, I give it a 4/5.

(The one that bumped it up from a 3 to a 4 was featured as a myth on Mythbusters. It involved a barrel full of bricks, and a Darwin Award winner. That is the only reason I bumped it from a 3 to a 4.)
Brianna
I got this book as a "Blind Date with a Book" from my local library. I didn't laugh out loud, but it was mildly entertaining. I can definitely see how a website or forum would be a better medium for these short anecdotes. That said, it's a very light read and enjoyable when you want to get away from bright screens for awhile, which is exactly what I wanted to do.
Ashton
This is a truly hilarious collection of stories. It basically tells of different people thankfully removing themselves from the gene pool in ridiculous ways. If you're ever feeling down or just want a quick laugh just pick up this book and flip to any page you desire.
Kaethe
I think I mentioned this with the first volume but do not attempt to consume too many stories at once. Yes, people do amazingly stupid things and die, but read too many at once and you'll start wanting everyone to get on with it.
Bryan
I'm so ashamed!: I bought this book in a moment of weakness. I knew about the Darwin Awards, having received samples of same over the internet. The better part of my nature informed me that the very notion of finding something funny in stories of stupid misadventures with tragic consequences was . . . (how you say?) . . . wrong. Wrong and stupid. If a dim-witted child guffaws at these stories, one makes allowances. For an adult to enjoy them is beyond the pale.
There are some who are horrified
Mary Havens
Not as good as the first one. I could have done without her "discussion points".
Douglas Reedy
Good dark humor.
David
These are very funny in a dark,morbid sense. To win a Darwin Award, one must cause one's death in a stupid way and take one's self out of the gene pool. For example, two fishermen were cold,so they made a fire in their wooden boat! Another man who was a cheapskate wanted liposuction. Instead of going to a licensed surgeon, this nut had his neighbor do liposuction on him in a garage! You get the picture: stupidity kills and maims."What is the difference between genius and ignorance? Genius has li ...more
Pras
Nov 21, 2008 Pras rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who want to pass their genes
Recommended to Pras by: smart people (please saves humanity)
Not as funny or weird as the first book. But the positive side is I got this edition gives many facts regarding on evolution or popular science and some explanation on how it works, beside the stories itself. Reading enough other people's misfortune in this book, hopefully in the future, i won't get in line for Darwin Award candidates.
Last, what I like best is the quotes..
here one of my favorite
famous last words "heyy fellas watch this!"
and there goes Darwin Award.
dejah_thoris
I didn't realize that I had read most of this book on my way to work Monday morning, but it's much like its predecessor. I did appreciate the second section of 14 women's stories though because women are so rarely mentioned in the Darwin Awards. The top ten conclusion though seemed unnecessary as the book is too short to let you forget any of the vignettes. Some of the disasters made for great lunch conversation though!
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
This book takes a humorous look at how stupid humans can be. Each chapter is a different category. Although reading the actual darwin awards is entertaining, I don't recommend you read the opening chapter descriptions. Many go into things like online computer safety which has nothing to do with the awards in that given chapter. Or are boring disertations on how any species evolves over time.
Kirsti
I've actually been reading this book off and on for a few weeks, being a perfect 'Bathroom Book'. I love reading the Darwin Awards,and this isn't the first time I've read this book. People dying is very rarely funny, unless they remove themselves from the gene pool in some decidedly stupid way. If you want to learn more, check out this series of very funny books!
Heather
Ah the Darwin awards, I had always heard of them but this was the first time I read through one of the books. I fun light and morbid read cautioning the use of common sense. Though most of the winners were enjoyable I tended to like the honorable mentions, the people who didn't quite succeed in offing themselves. The shear dumb luck just amazed me.
Brian
Meh. Might be ok if you read a few pages and set it down again over and over. As a book it just doesn't hang together despite the ample amounts of filler. The topic is the perfect source of interesting blog posts or online reading, but doesn't work in this format. Maybe teh first one was better, but I'd skip 'em both and check out the website instead.
Rose
Finished reading this with my husband, and although there were a few good anecdotes, the overall writing style did not make for a good narrative. Some of the Darwin Runners up were more deserving of the trophy than some that made it. However I do understand this is meant for fun, but frankly nature doesn't care about circumstance.
Lacey
I'm sure I found this book much more amusing the first time I read it. Now, not as much. Maybe in this world of reality T.V. and World's Dumbest I just find the shock factor gone. There really are people this stupid out there, in fact, there are a lot of people this stupid out there. A few good chuckles but not laugh out loud funny.
Sam
A further collection of amusing tales of how people have removed or nearly removed themselves from the human gene pool. Yet again some of these stories will make you laugh others will make you wanna grab the person and shake them until they realise their own stupidity (if they survived it obviously)
Anna
This volume is a step up from the first because the discussions before each chapter delved into the more fascinating aspects of evolution and natural selection. I also liked the chapters of favorites and non-awards. Hope to see more like this in subsequent volumes.
Cedony
Amusing. I read it in short bursts and liked the little introductions before every chapter because it provided some interesting information about evolutions. I wasn't very impressed to find that the entire last chapter was of rehashed Darwin awards.
Cheryl Jensen
With her books, I always start off laughing at peoples' idiocy, like the guy who tries to have liposuction in a garage using a vacuum, but by the end of the book feel sorry for everyone who leaves their mark on the world by dying a stupid death.
Raj
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. I guess most of the stories were just generally stupid and not in a hugely funny way. It was fairly short anyway and there were some interesting little mini-essays to start off each section.
Glenn Banks DDS
Had some laughs, talked about some urban ledges. Hope not to get into one of these future books.
Kozmo Kliegl
Continues to prove a variant on the Dan Rather quote (he mentioned Afros which got him into hot water) that Humanity is thinning its gene because the dumber people have more children (re: "Idiocracy")
Dannuel Saùl Delizo
Seriously, how stupid and useless people could be? To all the thieves out there, dont expect your victims to cooperate with your plans! bigger population means more idiots. it's the unnatural selection, baby!
Melanie
One of my favorite quotes: Evolution: Taking care of those to stupid to take care of themselves.

All the way through both books my constant thought was "What were these people thinking?"
Robin Dawes
I read this a long time ago and found it very funny; on re-reading I find it mostly sad. The hapless victims of their own wilful stupidity now seem pathetic rather than laughable.
Goodreads Librari...: Add cover: Darwinovy ceny 2 3 9 Jan 12, 2015 08:42AM
  • The Ig Nobel Prizes
  • The 776 Stupidest Things Ever Said
  • Gastroanomalies: Questionable Culinary Creations from the Golden Age of American Cookery
  • Duh!: The Stupid History of the Human Race
  • Life's Little Annoyances: True Tales of People Who Just Can't Take It Anymore
  • 21st Century Dodos: A Collection of Endangered Objects (and Other Stuff)
  • Non Campus Mentis: World History According to College Students
  • America's Dumbest Criminals: Wild and Weird Stories of Fumbling Felons, Clumsy Crooks, and Ridiculous Robbers
  • Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook
  • Red Meat: A Collection of Red Meat Cartoons From the Secret Files of Max Cannon
  • Homes and Other Black Holes
  • Why Do Men Fall Asleep After Sex? More Questions You'd Only Ask a Doctor After Your Third Whiskey Sour
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Extreme Edition
  • The Bride of Anguished English: A Bonanza of Bloopers, Blunders, Botches, and Boo-Boos
  • Does Anything Eat Wasps?: And 101 Other Unsettling, Witty Answers to Questions You Never Thought You Wanted to Ask
  • My Daddy Was a Pistol and I'm a Son of A Gun
  • Bad Cat: 244 Not-So-Pretty Kitties and Cats Gone Bad
  • Signspotting: Absurd and Amusing Signs from Around the World
Wendy Northcutt graduated UC Berkeley with a degree in molecular biology. She began collecting the stories that make up the Darwin Awards in 1993 and founded www.DarwinAwards.com shortly after.

Northcutt is the author of the international bestsellers The Darwin Awards: Evolution in Action, The Darwin Awards 2: Unnatural Selection, The Darwin Awards 3: Survival of the Fittest, and The Darwin Awards
More about Wendy Northcutt...

Darwin Awards (6 books)
  • The Darwin Awards: Evolution in Action (Darwin Awards, #1)
  • The Darwin Awards III: Survival of the Fittest (Darwin Awards, #3)
  • The Darwin Awards 4: Intelligent Design (Darwin Awards, #4)
  • The Darwin Awards Next Evolution: Chlorinating the Gene Pool (Darwin Awards, #5)
  • The Darwin Awards Countdown to Extinction
The Darwin Awards: Evolution in Action (Darwin Awards, #1) The Darwin Awards III: Survival of the Fittest (Darwin Awards, #3) The Darwin Awards 4: Intelligent Design (Darwin Awards, #4) The Darwin Awards Next Evolution: Chlorinating the Gene Pool (Darwin Awards, #5) The Darwin Awards Countdown to Extinction