Start by marking “The Left Hand of God: A Biography of the Holy Spirit” as Want to Read:
The Left Hand of God: A Biography of the Holy Spirit

The Left Hand of God: A Biography of the Holy Spirit

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Adolf Holl's divine biography examines the life of the Holy Spirit in the context of the history of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.Interweaving scholarship with religion, myth, and culture, Holl expertly traces the influence of the Holy Spirit on men and women from all walks of life, over the course of centuries.The result is quite unlike anything written before.

The Holy
Published November 9th 1999 by Image (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Left Hand of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Left Hand of God

Leroy Seat
This is a very erudite book, so much so I had trouble understanding a lot of what the author was trying to say. In addition, it was written in a "postmodern" style, so it jumped from one historical context to another with little apparent connection.

I chose to read this book because of my positive feelings toward Holl's "Jesus in Bad Company" (1973), which I have read twice, and "The Last Christian" (1980), his brilliant book about Francis of Assisi. But I was somewhat disappointed in this book o
Dana Kraft
An interesting undertaking for sure. The first half or so of the book was really interesting, but as he shifted from talking about mystics to more modern philosophers and authors, I got less interested. The book could be subtitled "Losing the Holy in the Holy Spirit". I second another reviewers experience of having difficulty following the last quarter or so of the book when he talks more about Hegel, Nietzsche and James Joyce.
Chris Feldman
Very interesting work, recommended.
Sue
Feb 23, 2009 Sue is currently reading it
OK, so far.
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Doncella Young
Doncella Young marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Stkate
Stkate marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2013
Joseph
Joseph added it
Feb 23, 2012
Aric
Aric marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2011
Rem
Rem marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2011
Thom Foolery
Thom Foolery marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2009
Kipahni
Kipahni marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2009
Judy Lynch
Judy Lynch marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2009
Staci
Staci marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2008
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2008
Kat
Kat added it
Feb 08, 2008
The Last Christian Jesus In Bad Company Jesus in schlechter Gesellschaft Die Ketzer Die Unheilige Kirche: Geschlecht und Gewalt in der Religion