Start by marking “Corsair” as Want to Read:
Corsair

Corsair

The once-popular pirate-adventure genre has experienced something of a downturn since the heyday of Rafael Sabatini and Errol Flynn. Chris Bunch ends the slump with the swashbuckling fantasy Corsair, a coming-of-age novel about Gareth Radnor, an honorable young man who goes to sea after Linyati slavers kill his parents. When Gareth finds himself serving aboard a Sarosian s ...more
Published (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Corsair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Corsair

♥Xeni♥
Nov 25, 2010 ♥Xeni♥ rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, pirate, fantasy
Okay, so this book actually wasn't that bad. I read it pretty quickly (four days, and I really had no time). The action moves forward really fast... at times I was wishing for more filler: more details or descriptions etc.

Otherwise, the characters were pretty interesting. Kind of flat, but that was due to the author trying to pack so much action into the book. (If the book was written with more details, I'm sure it would have surpassed 1000 pages).

The plot was really really really good. Like r
Lali
Jun 03, 2016 Lali rated it liked it
Pirate ships with a dash of magic thrown in? How was I ever not going to like this? Enjoyable, pretty well paced. Spans quite a lot of time and doesn't dwell on anything unimportant; a lot of scenes that comprise a single paragraph, sometimes a single sentence, to do their job and keep things moving. The whole book is a bit like that; the prose is there to do its job and shuffle on. There's no real attempt at beauty or depth in the writing. But that's fine. I'm here for swords, ships, and sorcer ...more
Debbie
Apr 14, 2007 Debbie rated it it was ok
I didn't much care for Bunch's writing style. I also had some issues with the plot and it's clicheness at times. The pirate's life was definitely glorified and Gareth seemed to have too many modern sensibilities in a world based off of medieval times. It was a fast read, though. The ending was not satisfying at all since the Linyati slavers were still around and on the brink of war with Gareth's people, and there is no sequel out as of yet, planned as near as I can tell.
Pierre Armel
Aug 17, 2015 Pierre Armel rated it really liked it
Michael Fierce
description

Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5.

A page-turner of enjoyable characters, sea voyages, pirates, magic, and good vs. evil.

description
Geoff Spakes
Sep 21, 2015 Geoff Spakes rated it really liked it
Somewhat on the lighter side but still a nice adventurous yarn. Left me wondering what would happen next but sadly I've learned that the author has passed away so we shall never know.

Still a good stand alone read.
Brian Turner
Oct 08, 2014 Brian Turner rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
After their families had been killed or captured by Slavers, three friends find themselves a-pirating on the high seas.

A decent fantasy novel with some interesting twists, and good characters you find yourself rooting for as they go on their adventures.

Pmhagerty
Apr 06, 2012 Pmhagerty rated it did not like it
Ok, so I gave up on this one. Took too damn long to get to the point. If I'm close to 100 pages into a 300pg book and it hasn't gotten to the main plot yet, too damn slow. Buh-bye.
Adam
Nov 02, 2013 Adam rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite books. The action is constant, the conflict develops nicely, and the characters are enjoyable
x x x
Nov 13, 2016 x x x rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wandering good story

Chris crosses into very fun territory with a rollicking story. I prefer coming of age storied and this fit the bill.
Ryan Mcclain
Ryan Mcclain rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2012
Atehsouhait
Atehsouhait rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2014
Salk
Salk rated it really liked it
May 06, 2011
Ayodele Mumuni
Ayodele Mumuni rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2013
Dmitry
Dmitry rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2014
Sas
Sas rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2014
S.C. Gregory
S.C. Gregory rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2013
D
D rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2016
Shard Obsidia
Shard Obsidia rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Clarkiep
Clarkiep rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Pannies Bredenkamp
Pannies Bredenkamp rated it it was ok
Jun 11, 2015
Ian
Ian rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Michael Dellert
Michael Dellert rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Ryan Mcclain
Ryan Mcclain rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2011
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2012
John
John rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2013
David Newman
David Newman rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2016
Falco
Falco rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2012
Ubiquitousbastard
Ubiquitousbastard rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Patriots
  • The Bastard King (Scepter of Mercy #1)
  • Kingdoms of the Night (Anteros, #3)
  • Fast Ships, Black Sails
  • Mystery Flowers
  • The Alien Debt
  • Prince of Time (Chalice Trilogy, #3)
  • Into the Darkness (Darkness, #1)
  • Exiled (Clan of the Claw, #1)
  • The View from the Imperium (Imperium, #1)
  • The Unschooled Wizard (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #1-2)
  • The Black Mountains (Empire of the East, #2)
  • The Hunters' Haunt (Omar, #2)
  • Changer's Moon (Duel of Sorcery, #3)
  • The King of Ys: Book 2 - Gallicenae
  • Contacting Aliens: An Illustrated Guide to David Brin's Uplift Universe (The Uplift Saga)
  • The First Amendment (Stargate SG-1, #3)
  • Pursuit (Roswell #7)
Christopher R. "Chris" Bunch was an American science fiction, fantasy and television writer, who wrote and co-wrote about thirty novels.

Born in Fresno, California, he collaborated with Allan Cole on a series of books involving a hero named Sten in a galactic empire. (Cole married Bunch's sister, Kathryn.) He served in Vietnam as a patrol commander. He also wrote for Rolling Stone and was a corresp
More about Chris Bunch...