The Illuminati

The Illuminati

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  469 ratings  ·  50 reviews
The year is 2001 and the world is on the brink of economic collapse as the Illuminati, a deadly secret organization, succeeds in placing one of their people in the office of the presidency of the United States, gaining control of world events.
Published January 1st 1992 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published October 6th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Illuminati, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Illuminati

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversThe Shack by Wm. Paul YoungThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Best Christian Fiction
238th out of 1,440 books — 1,875 voters
Redeeming Love by Francine RiversThe Atonement Child by Francine RiversThe Last Sin Eater by Francine RiversGently Awakened by Sara  JosephMark of the Lion Trilogy by Francine Rivers
Books i have/will reread
6th out of 36 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Stacy
It is interesting that in the author's acknowledgments he said that his sincere desire was to make "good, non-offensive fiction" available to the public, considering this novel is neither good nor non-offensive.

Let's start with the offensive part since that was the first thing I noticed. This book is fundamentalist, conservative, anti-abortion, anti-gay, and anti-ACLU Christian propaganda. I have no problem with Christian fiction and read quite a bit of it, but I do not take kindly to the ACLU,...more
Amy
I have the updated version from 2004. It is the original book, but with updated times, people, etc. Instead of it all happening in 2001, it's 2015.
I am getting towards the end of it. Even though it's a christian book, it's a very good read. When I started it less than a week ago, the first few pages didn't quite grab me. But when the earthquake in Japan happened, and the tsunami on the west coast, it caught my attention. It just got better and better from there. The conspiracy to eradicate the c...more
Mark LaMountain
I keep saying this because I happen to be remembering all the earliest books I've read, but this was like, THE FIRST book I can remember just getting entrenched in, on my own.

This book was wicked cool, even with it's silly christian spin. :P

Crazy ideas about secret societies, the prediction of earthquakes, super-elaborate systems. It's scary too, that a lot of the stuff it talked about in this fun fictional way is actually being talked about seriously nowadays.

A great book and a wicked cool rea...more
Suz
Mar 20, 2014 Suz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in end times events
Recommended to Suz by: My Dad
I enjoyed this book very much. It was written in 1991 and this novel is a pretty darned good picture of what's happening in the world right now, including the earthquake/tsunami that hit Japan, the economy, the state of the middle east, the problems facing the United States, etc. It's pretty eerie how closely this author seemed to have looked into the future. The internet was not widespread in 1991...remember Prodigy and Compuserve? The author calls it the Data-Net, but wow...very interesting so...more
Mainon
This, weirdly, was one of the formative books of my elementary-school years. No, it's not a young adult book. I was just a weird kid.

The year was 1992. I was nine years old, and two months into fifth grade. My parents had just moved us to a new house, which meant a new school, and the kids in my class were about to spend three days taking a standardized test-- the same standardized test I had taken a couple of weeks before at my old school. The new school obviously thought it would be dandy if I...more
Almac
Mean spirited and embarrassing to read. An insult to Christians.

Predictable, dull, cliche riddled. Evangelical Conservatives are 100% good; everyone else is either 100% evil or a hapless dupe. No grey areas, nothing to think about. A disgusting book, I would call it un American. Here are some quotes from the book that will give you an idea:

"....they were carrying inverted crosses- the traditional sign of the gay rights movement."

"The failing economy provided the catalyst the liberals needed to...more
Beth Miller
Considering the fact that my father was once a Free Mason...this book was of great interest to me. It was also, quite accurate and just a bit scary. Imagine a world that is so easily controlled by an elite group. Where the use of violent force is not given a second thought...makes one wonder. I found the writing a little bit slow at times, but for the most part...particularly toward the end...I had a difficult time putting it down. A great read!
Keri (JD)
I read this book like 20 times as a 10-14 yro. My pastor owned it and I would sneak into his office and borrow it without permission and read it over and over again. I was so sick of the Bible, so sick of the same old books my Mom would let me read and this was exciting to me. Thinking about it now, I am sure he noticed that book on his shelf that got more and more worn and had the cover taped onto it,and just ignored his associate pastors book thief daughter, because hey, it was christian prope...more
Sean
I think this book is FANTASIC!!!! It's thrilling, fast paced, twist-full, and pretty good writing. The story behind it is very exciting an the length is well worth it!
Kim M-M
It really skewed my view of the world! I've been so naive! :) Really good adventure/political/ thriller, though it leaves you a little bit messed up.
Cathy
I read it a long time ago, but remember that I really enjoyed it.
Margaret Boehm
Very disturbing book, but it really makes you think
Brian Dibonaventure
What a complete load of crap. This guy is a hack. Someone gave me this book and I must have had a moment of self loathing because I forced myself to read it. It made me appreciate Dan Brown, at least that hack can string a coherent sentence together. Seriously, I hated this book.
Manda
What starts as a political thriller slowly starts to turn into a heavily biased book by halfway through. The bad guys are all minions of Satan (yes, actual Satan) and the good guys, regardless of how they started the book, end up Christian because miraculously they see the light. Even a staunch opposer becomes a preacher with his own television show. A lot of stuff rankles in retrospect, but it got so heavily biased towards Christian Faith is good and casting Democrats as Satanic Society-followi...more
Julie Simons
Scared

I enjoyed the book, but it did frightened me. To think that God and this great country could be manipulatived is now comprehensible.
maryann
Oct 10, 2007 maryann rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: only people who need to be reminded that christians can be a bit cross-eyed fanatical sometimes
Shelves: sciencefiction
wow, that was some BAD writing. and i mean awful. cringe-worthy terrible.

more importantly, the story was farfetched and fanatical. the premise of a christian 'minority' being persecuted by a secular government with the help of a docile population could *maybe* have worked if they'd set the book *way* in the future...and had some sort of rationale for why that would happen.

totally just an excuse for pious sighing. ew and ick. if you want to read some christial lit, the Left Behind series is muc...more
Eulogio Edina
Sep 16, 2010 Eulogio Edina marked it as to-read
This book is for the people who still haven't been educated about the truth- The Illuminaty. This book speaks about who really run this world, whether being rich makes you eligible for many things. The people illumined ... means the people who know the truth about the prophecy. It talks about the people dying by dideases and why they are dying . This book is to influence the peopleabout who the should trust bbecause the goverment is not trustworthy.
Ruben O.
Putting all conspiracy theories aside this is a very interesting book with a lot of the situations that occur in the book seeming to play out in real every day life. That can sometime be a little troubling but considering the ending I dont mind too much. Definitely a book for the modern YouTube conspiracy theorists but a interesting read and always a precautionary tale of what could be... Overall I would say... Goodread.
Victoria
Dec 19, 2007 Victoria rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Larry Burkett Fans ! Any one who likes a bit of conspiracy..:)
This is probably one of my all time favorite books.
I really like Mr. Burketts style of writeing.
I have read sevral other boooks that have a simalar storyline but they dont even compair ! Even though the very idea of the world he describes is depresing he shows the hope that WILL come.
I cant say enough good about this book , you will just have to read it your self ! :D
Eric
Interesting book
Mwcalco
Almost finished with this one. I have it in my high school library and decided to take it home for break. It's eerie how the events in the book mirror what is happening today and it was written in 1991. At the end of the book you can tell he was trying to align events with those described in Revelations.
Mark
Most people don't think of Larry Burkett as a novelist, but during his lifetime he wrote several excellent novels. "The Illuminati" is a great read (if you can skip over some of the outdatedness). Four stars to "The Illuminati".
chris zabel
This book was really good to about 3/4 the way through. I didn't notice until then that this book is a sermon about Christianity and the evil that tries to destroy it. The story was good, the proselytizing got a little out of hand.
Josh
I thought this book was well written and the characters well developed. Though the tech talk is a bit dated, the ideas on which the story is based could be pulled straight from headlines today.
Lisa
Aug 16, 2010 Lisa added it
Interesting story. Prophetic, political yarn about what could happen to our country if a subversive society that hated God or anyone that believes in Him, took over running the country
Jessica
Enjoyable, but predictable. A bit too "pat", not that great of prose, but I always enjoy a save the world kind of novel, with a bit of Revelation thrown in for good measure.
Jackie
I think I read this in middle school. I really don't remember much of it other than I reference The Illuminati as the bad guys in Twilight, since I can never remember their name.
Laurie
Absolutely incredible book! He wrote this book in 1991 but it could have been written last week - telling about all the things that are happening right now!! Amazing!
Dick
Novel - interesting read, quick read. Launches itself off the concept of the illunimati, but soon goes totally away from what I have read in the past.
Illuminati! 1 4 Jan 17, 2014 11:49AM
  • Joshua In The Holy Land
  • The Sacrifice
  • Though None Go with Me
  • The Ezekiel Option (The Last Jihad, #3)
  • The Heir
  • The Illuminati: Facts & Fiction
  • Blood of Heaven (Fire of Heaven, #1)
  • Escape to Freedom (Secret of the Rose #3)
  • The Great Divide
  • Say to This Mountain (Shiloh Legacy #3)
  • Covenant Child: A Story of Promises Kept
  • In His Image (The Christ Clone Trilogy, #1)
  • The Winds of God
Larry Burkett was an American author and radio personality whose work focused on financial counseling from an evangelical Christian point of view. Burkett was born the fifth of eight children. After completing high school in Winter Garden, Florida, he entered the U.S. Air Force where he served in the Strategic Air Command.

Upon completion of his military duties, Burkett and his wife Judy returned t...more
More about Larry Burkett...
Solar Flare Business by the Book: The Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace The Thor Conspiracy: The Seventy-Hour Countdown to Disaster Debt Free Living Complete Financial Guide For Young Couples