Start by marking “Life on the Edge: A Young Adult's Guide to a Meaningful Future” as Want to Read:
Life on the Edge: A Young Adult's Guide to a Meaningful Future

Life on the Edge: A Young Adult's Guide to a Meaningful Future

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  461 ratings  ·  29 reviews
In the blink of an eye, " says Dr. James Dobson, "this next generation will inherit the businesses, institutions, and governments of the world. On their shoulders will soon rest the burdens of leadership and authority. They will pull the wagonload of humanity behind them.
Published October 24th 2000 by Thomas Nelson (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Life on the Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life on the Edge

Danny
I wish I respected Dr. Dobson the way I did 15 years ago. It is amazing the way even good men can become narrow, political and petty. His mission and message of follwoing the Lord have been swallowed up by his desire to control worldly forces.
Ariel
An excellent book for teenagers to 25 year-olds! This book covers everything Christians need to know from relationships, moving out of the house and even college plans! I highly recommend you read this book!
Gloria
I absolutely loved this book. It truly got me thinking about what I was doing and not doing with my life. It has helped me concentrate my energy on the things worth doing in life. I really liked the Q and A sections of the book. In many cases I used to think that I was the only one who had those kind of questions but after reading the book, and getting a clear answer, I discovered that was definitely not the case! This book should be read by all in the age group of 16-26 even if not all are expe ...more
Gemma
May 12, 2013 Gemma rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: z2013
I'm older than the target age for this book (15 - 25 year olds), but still found some good food-for-thought in here.

One complaint, though. There's a chapter about dealing with your parents. No mention is made of what to do if you come from an abusive/dysfunctional family. For instance, he talks about how the power shifts from the parents to the young adult as he/she becomes more independent. That's great, but what if you come from a family that holds a death grip on the young person, and never i
pianogal
My sister-in-law gave me this book to read a few years ago and I finally got to it. Of course, now it's a little dated and not exactly targeted at me.

However, there were still some decent ideas here. I wish Dr. Dobson would have gone a little more in depth on a couple of issues. Also, I would just like to point out that Jesus would not have gone to a Christian university (there's a whole chapter about how Christian schools are better than secular). Staying in a little safe Christian bubble does
Cristiano Sequeira
It really is the young adult's guide for a meaningful life. The author makes the simple facts of life plain for the young adult's developing mind. Clearly the perfect book to prepare young adults, especially in their early twenties, for the challenges that come with adulthood and independence, through many real life examples and a Christian reasoning.
Finley Neal I
Dr James Dobson is such a wise man and has given great advice for many years. He has just stepped down from the helm of Focus On The Family this year to pursue other projects and I wish him much success! Life on the Edge is from 1995 & I actually listened to this on tape. The book addresses the defining issues that young adults will face between the ages of 16 & 26. It is written to help young adults make the right choices in life to bring them to a meaningful future. I believe this book ...more
Hatem Hady
live your life and make your choices only by your priorities ,,, not society traditions
Casey
Wow. Wonderful insights and biblical truth, even reading it the second time. Definitely saving this one for my younger brother in a few years.
John Hsieh
Read this book either during my college or high school days, it left an impression on me that one is very formative from the age 16 to 26, and Dobson calls it the "critical decade." A lot of interesting insights and personal advices, Dobson's writing style is strong and convicting, would be helpful if a young Christian can go over this book with a mature believer/ mentor. If you are between the age 16-26, then take a look at this book, if you are discipling someone in that age bracket, it's wort ...more
Eric
"Be There"
Jon
Christian psychology that incorporates bible references for teaching purposes is something that is beneficial to me for emotional growth. Shaping your attitude about how to handle life events as a young adult was helpful to me. I would reccommend this book as a reference for when you are going through challenges in young adulthood. It would have been more helpful, if I would have read it when I got the book in my early 20's versus my later 20's.
Robyn
Sep 27, 2007 Robyn rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one!!
I received this for HS graduation. What I learned (and highly disagreed with): that a man is always in charge (HA), that you must put everything in God's hands (does one not have free-will??!?!) and other "good old boy" ideas. Not my idea of a book for a young woman, especially if you want this woman to have ideas of her own, be independent and open-minded.
Patti Bethea
If you have a teenager in your home, this is an excellent book for the both of you to read. The book addresses issues for ages 16 through 26 from a Godly perspective. Chapter titles include choosing a college, getting along with your parents, emotions - friend or foe, the keys to lifelong love, among many other GREAT topics. PLease read!
Tina Starr
Mar 14, 2008 Tina Starr rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tina by: Ruth Sepulveda
I got this book from my Aunt when I graduated high school and it spoke to me. Sometimes joining the "real world" can be an uneasy transition. This is a great book to recommend to young adults just out of high school as it will give them a better sense of themselves and who they will be in society.
Lysha Why (blairwaldork)
An easy 5 stars for this book. My dad picked this one up for me and for that I am so very grateful! I only wish I've read this when I was 16. :)

Nonetheless, the principles it presented will apply to ANYONE seeking to live a meaningful life -- one that will glorify God. Highly recommend it.
Anna
Excellent resource! My dad highly recommended this for our three teens, so I read it first and I really enjoyed it and my husband is now reading it! Great for parents to read too. All the topics are relevant and critical to talk about and understand for booth teens and parents!
Rob Jinkerson
A good book on making decisions on 'The Critical Decade'. The early/mid chapters were mostly good, with some obvious bits to cater for all, but the later chapters were very opinionated and turned the book from being a guide to a rant.
Aaron Hutmacher
I just read this book. It was written in 1999 but it still applies today. Although I am passed the age it is recommended for but it still provided valuable information and encouragement for myself and as I raise my own children
Jaime Contreras
I have used this as a reference in many of my life skills talks to young adults. It is insightful and so applicable to many of the obstacles and problems faced by the young men and women of today.
Fran
Dec 11, 2009 Fran rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every teenager over the age of 18 and young adult
Shelves: self-improvement
Since this was an audio book, it was like listening to Dr. Dobson on the radio. Good advice for every teenager who has reached dating age or young adult contemplating marriage.
Samson
As a youngster, I faced problems and this book helped me through many of them with a Christian perspective. Highly recommended to anyone wishing to follow Jesus in their teens!
Shelley23
I have read this thing a hundred times. I got it as a gift when I graduated, and it is an awesome 'guide' for anyone, especially young adults.
Em Ormiston
Oct 02, 2008 Em Ormiston rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: High school gradutes, and those getting out of college.
Recommended to Em by: Mother
Great for the young adult needing advice about life! I loved hearing the voice of wisdom throughout the entire read.
Shannon
I read this book in college and it give you a new perspective when you are young.
Michelle
Good read with plenty of useful advice and biblical applications and warnings.
Kenneth
Read it as a teenager. I guess it was a good read.
Schu
A definite read for teens and young adults.
Dpat
Sep 12, 2009 Dpat rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young people and their parents
Wonderful book for young people- scripture based. Covers many topics facing young people today. If you work with young people, or have a young person in your life , niece, nephew, friend, cousin, -- a must read. Good godly advice.
Aniqua S
Aniqua S marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
  • Preparing for Marriage
  • The Way They Learn
  • For Better or for Best: A Valuable Guide to Knowing, Understanding, and Loving Your Husband
  • How to Give Away Your Faith
  • How to Really Love Your Child
  • God Came Near
  • The Vanishing Conscience: Drawing the Line in a No-Fault, Guilt-Free World
  • Right from Wrong
  • Spirit Filled Life Bible: A Personal Study Bible Unveiling All God's Fullness in All God's Word (New King James Version)
  • The Name
  • Life on Planet Mom: A Down-To-Earth Guide to Your Changing Relationships
  • National Sunday Law
  • Healing the Sick: A Living Classic
  • Becoming a Contagious Christian Live Seminar: Participant's Guide: Communicating Your Faith in a Style That Fits You
  • Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids
  • The Godly Man's Picture
  • The Wonderful Name of Jesus
James C. Dobson is a psychologist, commentator, and writer. He is the founder of Focus on the Family, a group advocating what he views as Christian ethics and political conservatism, and hosts a radio program of the same name.
More about James C. Dobson...
Bringing Up Boys The New Strong-Willed Child The New Dare to Discipline Bringing Up Girls: Practical Advice And Encouragement For Those Shaping The Next Generation Of Women When God Doesn't Make Sense