Start by marking “The Rainbow and the Rose” as Want to Read:
The Rainbow and the Rose

The Rainbow and the Rose

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  291 ratings  ·  20 reviews
John Pascoe, a retired military flyer and commercial pilot, has crashed on a remote Tasmania mountain while attempting a rescue. Another pilot and friend, Ronnie Clark, volunteers to rescue the injured flyer. Through strange dreams that appear to Clark we glimpse Pascoe's past family life with its secrets.
Mass Market Paperback
Published by Signet Book (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about The Rainbow and the Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rainbow and the Rose

Algernon
this book confirmed, as if I needed one more reason, the high position of Nevil Shute in my list of favorite authors.
This is the story of a life spent flying, from the flimsy bi-planes of WWI to the transoceanic routes of the 50's, the story of a man who takes quiet pride in his skill and carries on his shoulders the heavy burden of some doomed love affairs without turning bitter. He is a solitary man, yet the friends he makes along the way will put everythinh away and come to help him in his ho
Natalie
Can a man make something respectable of himself in imperfect times?

This is a story of a pilot's life in a postwar economy, of how easy it is to be unlucky in love and how hard it can be to establish a stable family life after a war. Men and women, old and young, make an effort to put life back together again. Relationships and disappointments grow out of checkered pasts. Respect comes where it's due but sometimes not when it's most wanted. Satisfaction and tranquility are possible, but sometime
Jim Puskas
Probably the most openly romantic of Shute's novels. It bears all the usual Shute characteristics: Lots of stuff about aviation; quaint 1940's mores regarding sex (even though it was written in the mid 50's); and that trick, unique to Shute of suddenly shifting viewpoints from one time & place to another far removed, even to changing narrator in mid-sentence. Those familiar with "In the Wet" or "An Old Captivity" will be somewhat prepared for these abrupt literary gymnastics and will take th ...more
Nora
Apr 17, 2008 Nora rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I can remember reading this book for the first time when I was 15. What most amazed me about Nevil Shute's writing is that I could get so absorbed, so lost in it, that finishing a long section was like waking from a dream. In this book he layers in flashbacks and dreams in such a compelling way it can be hard to remember that you are not part of the story.
I have re-read this book once or twice and have to say that nothing is lost by already knowing the outcome. For so many books the payoff is th
Sybil Powell
It's odd but after every Nevil Shute book I read I think this is my favourite book and The Rainbow and the Rose is no exception. As often happens in his books it's two tales in one. One an attempted landing on an impossible air strip in an attempt to save a friends life and the other a life lived to the full by an flying instructor both intertwined in a most believeable way. A really great story, it's my favouite book!
Fred Pullen
I enjoyed this very much, but I won't give any spoilers. It's a rather simple story, but told in a curious way. Let me share more about the technique, if not the actual plot itself.

Nevil Shute tends to write stories about people in England, flying, WWII, Australia, or some combination thereof. He relies on action and dialogue to give you an indication of what his characters are thinking, and what kind of people they are. In this book, Shute used an interesting device: The protagonist realized th
Matthew Meyer
Johnnie Pascoe, a retired pilot, and his passenger have been injured in a terrible plane crash virtually in the middle of nowhere. Johnnie’s former student and long-time friend, Ronnie Clarke, must now go on an impossible mission to save him and his passenger before it is too late. As the story goes on, the clock begins to run out and the weather itself is making it even more difficult to conceive a thought of going to Johnnie’s location. With the terrible weather having few breaks, Johnnie and ...more
Scilla
Johnny Pascoe has had a long career of flying airplanes. Just before he left for WWI, he married the beautiful actress Judy. After the war, she went to Hollywood with their daughter and then divorced him. He is now retired running a small air service in a remote part of Tasmania. He has a crash trying to get to where he could evacuate a young girl with appendicitis. Ronnie Clark, a pilot on flying in Australia who learned to fly from Johnny, hears about the accident and volunteers to go to Tasma ...more
Jean Brodie
I loved Nevil Shute books about 30 years ago and decided to reread this one. Once I got into it, thoroughly enjoyed it and easy to read. However, was slightly irritated by the writing technique- a story told through someone else's dreams (who has coherent and logical dreams????) and the Judy Judy bit annoyed me slightly.
Nonetheless, this book is over 50 years old and has worn well. Will reread another
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I wrote in 2007: I like his style very much. You can just read, read, read. The story--a pilot goes on a rescue mission to get medical aid to a pilot who has crashed in a remote area of Tasmania. It was the pilot who had taught him to fly many years before. ...Loved it!

This reminds me that it is time I read another Nevil Shute book; I have enjoyed several.
Alison
A great story, taking in the history of commercial flight,from the First World War and the life of a flying instructor in England in the 30s to inter-continental airways in the late 50s. Love stories to die for; triumph and tragedy. Shute seamlessly uses an unusual method to get inside his character's mind and memory.
Bea Alden
Another great Shute adventure story - a famous WW I pilot is dying. In the attempts to save him, we learn the heartwarming story of his adventurous life, with a little supernatural flavor thrown in.
Chris
A great Shute novel. The love of flying and Australia / New Zealand and its people show through as ever. If you have read other Shute books and enjoyed them you will this one!
Deahna
A lot different to the things I normally read but t was a great story although the ending was a lttle bit to sad for my liking I kind of expected it.
Lili
This is a book I read years ago and I enjoyed it immensely. I’ve read all of Nevil Shute’s books. The best by far is “A Town Like Alice.”
Meghan
I love that Shute managed to tell the entire story of a man while he lay unconscious in some isolated place.
Jenne
Strangely constructed story, but still enjoyable in that Nevil Shute way!
Donna
An interesting story about the pilots in post WWII Australia.
Winston Brown
Great story of an aviator's life and death. Interestingly told.
Gregory
Some of Shute's best air-born action.
Ree Jones
Ree Jones marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Broochy  Lumberjacks
Broochy Lumberjacks marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Bea
Bea marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
  • All The Rivers Run
  • Who Killed Zebedee?
  • The Car Thief
  • The Light Heart of Stone
  • Web of Deceit (Prophecy, #3)
  • The Bachelors of Broken Hill
  • Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy
  • Amelia
  • According to Mark
  • The Hunters
  • Behind a Mask, Or, a Woman's Power
  • The Wreck Of The 'Mary Deare'
  • The Other Side of the Dale
  • Repeat It Today With Tears
Nevil Shute Norway was a popular British novelist and a successful aeronautical engineer. He used Nevil Shute as his pen name, and his full name in his engineering career, in order to protect his engineering career from any potential negative publicity in connection with his novels. He lived in Australia for the ten years before his death.
More about Nevil Shute...
A Town Like Alice On the Beach Trustee from the Toolroom Pied Piper The Far Country