Start by marking “Seven Touches of Music: A Mosaic Novel” as Want to Read:
Seven Touches of Music: A Mosaic Novel

Seven Touches of Music: A Mosaic Novel

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  113 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
This experimental mosaic novel by a Serbian author--who is often compared to such luminaries as Italo Calvino, Franz Kafka, and Jorge Luis Borges--consists of seven wispily-connected stories about unexpected encounters with music. A teacher of autistic students, a librarian, the purchaser of a music box, an elderly woman at a train station, a scientist-turned-painter, a dy ...more
Published May 22nd 2006 by Aio Publishing Company (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Touches of Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Touches of Music

1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyCatch-22 by Joseph HellerOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussThe Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien
Nothing but Numbers
393rd out of 869 books — 136 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienWatership Down by Richard AdamsThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll
Highbrow Fantasy Books
361st out of 362 books — 551 voters

More lists with this book...

Isabel
Sep 11, 2015 Isabel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
3,5*
Sete contos, como as sete notas musicais, cuja temática circula em torno da música.
De uma forma ou de outra, todos os contos possuem uma estrutura demasiado idêntica. Mudam as personagens, mudam os cenários mas os mundos paralelos, mencionados na sinopse, e os mundos surreais são em muito parecidos.
Gostei particularmente do primeiro conto "O sussuro", pois é o que se afasta mais da construção narrativa adoptada pelo autor.
O livro "A biblioteca" foi para mim a estreia (e uma agradável surpre
Dawn
Jul 27, 2007 Dawn rated it liked it
Shelves: librarylove
I admit, I got this book because of how it looks. It's all black with a violin and the title/author in glossy black on a matte black cover. The pages are edged in black. I thought, "Wow! This is the coolest looking book I've seen in a long time." So, if you don't read it, at least look at it. :)

It's an intriguing story of music, with seven people's stories intertwining into one. Each chapter gives a very detailed character description. A very different book from what I usually read, but enjoyabl
SoLe Puella
Apr 22, 2015 SoLe Puella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knjiga pisana slično kao "Biblioteka", barem što se tiče onog aspekta da se sve ranije napisano poveže u jednu cjelinu na samom kraju knjige (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...), ali dok je "Biblioteka" nekako zasnovana na tipičnim postmodernističkim postupcima i težnjama ka umrežavanju radi samog umrežavanja ili umrežavanju samo radi izazivanja efekta začuđenosti ili zadivljenosti postupkom (mada je meni i to bilo dovoljno da se oduševim), "Sedam dodira muzike" tome dodaje i promišljanja ...more
Elizabeth
Jun 06, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
This was really interesting and unusual - almost short stories, but connected. I don't think I've ever read anything classified as a "mosaic novel" before this. The premises for each part were very original and kept me reading. There was a touch of melancholy to a lot of them, if not all, and the endings were not what I expected in almost every case. I really enjoyed that, but they weren't really uplifting. I would probably read this again at some point, even so.
Maryjane
Aug 10, 2012 Maryjane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quando ho letto Sei Biblioteche pensavo che mi avrebbe rapito, ma così non è stato e anzi ne sono rimasta leggermente delusa, quando ho iniziato Sette Note Musicali non mi aspettavo assolutamente nulla di eccezionale e invece sono rimasta deliziata.
Sette racconti delicati, melodici, il cui ritmo catura il lettore e lo avvolge come se leggendo ci fose davvero una musica leggera di sottofondo.
Forse il migliore libro di Zivcovic fino ad ora.
Martina D'Angelo
Jan 06, 2016 Martina D'Angelo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sarò una voce fuori dal coro (il che mi sembra anche appropriato considerando il titolo...) però non mi è piaciuto. Forse una storia su 7 la posso anche salvare ma le altre una noia!! L'ho finito perché mi dispiaceva interromperlo e perché alla fine sono 7 ministorie ma ho fatto proprio fatica. Mi aspettavo decisamente di più, ero partita fomentatissima ma una delusione proprio. Mi dispiace un sacco..
Zach
Aug 13, 2009 Zach rated it did not like it
Granted, I only read 2 of the 7 stories here (all linked by the theme of surprising encounters with music in the lives of everyday people) but neither of them did anything for me at all.

I'm sure there was more going on in these stories than my surface-level reading found, but his flat prose didn't invoke enough interest on my part to puzzle his meanings out.
Janie
Sep 13, 2012 Janie rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, foreign, shorts, music
These are my favorite flavors of magical realism.

I feel like I am missing something beautiful by being unable to read Živković's writing without translation warp. In this case it is a life-affirming melancholy.
Mary
Mar 30, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it
I like this book and the different approaches described by the author to music. It is what is called a mosiac novel. Basically, seven short stories that come togther around a central theme.
Chris
Apr 15, 2007 Chris marked it as to-read
TTBRMMWTRT. The review used the phrase "heir to Borges" when discussing Zivkovic so I feel a need to test that very weighty judgement myself.
Marc
Seven separate, mesmerizing stories in which music plays a magical role. Sometimes for the better. Sometimes unexplainable.
Kelly O'Dowd
Jun 22, 2015 Kelly O'Dowd rated it it was amazing
Why oh Why are his books not really in print? I mean I can get them on amazon used...but not bn. Grrrr.
Laura Buechler
Beautiful, lyrical, and a quick read. Check it out!
David Wernsing
Jan 11, 2008 David Wernsing rated it it was ok
Another one I didn't quite get. A beautiful book, though.
Francesca Lorenzini
Francesca Lorenzini marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Mary Lou
Mary Lou marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Azulmar
Azulmar marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Matthew Funke
Matthew Funke marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Milan Grujić
Milan Grujić rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
António
António marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Petra
Petra marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Maria
Maria added it
Jun 03, 2016
Cristina Vieira
Cristina Vieira marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Carol Mclamb
Carol Mclamb marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Sagahigan
Sagahigan rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Ludovica
Ludovica marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Anna Laura
Anna Laura rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
  • Music of a Life
  • The Desecrator
  • Reinventing Bach
  • ZOOM: The Global Race to Fuel the Car of the Future
  • The Book That Changed My Life: 71 Remarkable Writers Celebrate the Books That Matter Most to Them
  • The Complex: Mapping America's Military-Industrial-Technological-Entertainment-Academic-Media-Corporate Matrix
  • Guitar Man: A Six-String Odyssey, or, You Love that Guitar More than You Love Me
  • 4 by Pelevin
  • Click
  • Il torto del soldato
  • Le Coeur A Rire Et A Pleurer
  • Governor of the Homeless
Zoran Živković was born in Belgrade, former Yugoslavia, in 1948. In 1973 he graduated from the Department of General Literature with the theory of literature, Faculty of Philology of the University of Belgrade; he received his master's degree in 1979 and his doctorate in 1982 from the same school. He lives in Belgrade, Serbia, with his wife Mia, who is French, and their twin sons Uroš and Andreja. ...more
More about Zoran Živković...

“Chi aspetta il cavaliere deve far attenzione a non confondere i battiti del proprio cuore con quelli degli zoccoli.” 0 likes