Start by marking “The Works of Jane Austen” as Want to Read:
The Works of Jane Austen

The Works of Jane Austen

4.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  642 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
This value-priced slipcase edition includes award-winning productions of Mansfield Park, Emma, Northanger Abbey
Leather Bound, 713 pages
Published January 1st 2000 by Borders Classics

To ask other readers questions about The Works of Jane Austen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Works of Jane Austen

Lauren
Aug 02, 2011 Lauren marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I've always wanted to read Jane Austen, but I when it came between buying a classic story and a new release while wandering the bookstore, the new release always won. However, as I was moping around Borders, trying not to feel the hollow ache as I passed each Going Out of Business sign, I noticed this gigantic book nearly crushing the table under its weight. Not one, but four Jane Austen novels all for the price of $7.99!! Just 7.99!!!

Yeah, so I lugged it around and bought it. Now onto the actua
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 Dr.J.G. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sense and Sensibility:-

This one gives the clash of values characteristic of the writer, with wealth and temptation and opportunity versus rectitude and character and propriety as well as prudence playing the major part. How love itself must give way to rectitude and character is the chief theme, with the obvious lesson that giving way to temptation for now might close the door to happiness, love and future in fact.
............................................................................

Prid
Rosa Ramôa
Apr 10, 2015 Rosa Ramôa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frases de Jane Austen:

"Não quero que as pessoas sejam muito gentis; pois tal poupa-me o trabalho de gostar muito delas".

"Metade do mundo não consegue compreender os prazeres da outra metade".

"O negócio pode trazer dinheiro, mas a amizade raramente o faz".
Erinn
Mar 01, 2011 Erinn is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-lit
2-28-11 Trying to finish Emma was about as interesting as going to the dentist. Less actually since something good usually comes from a dental visit. All Emma left me with was a sense of disappointment and a vast amount of boredom.

5-13-10 I finally got through Pride and Prejudice. I think my mistake was trying to read other books at the same time.

2-23-10 Starting Pride and Prejudice, well actually I read the first 4 chapters a couple weeks ago but I think I'll reread them just to refresh my mem
Dale Abersold
My all time favorite book is better on rereading.
Lau-sanne Pepler
I have read all the Jane Austen books now and although everyone seems to love either Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility. My favorite is still Persuasion. I love the way that Wentworth is portrayed. And of all Austen's books it is the least pretty one. There is more of a realness to it. The obvious damsel in distress, the hero, the villain and the loss of money is still the story, that is so classically Jane. But the characters are less rosy. And I love that about the book.
Gloria
Apr 15, 2012 Gloria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had read all the books contained here except Persuasion. I waited much too long to read this book. Eight and a half years of unrequited love is a good read. It might be one of her most approachable books as well. The lead male is an captain. He actually works for a living. It also seems what keeps them apart was not only external forces but the impatience of youth.
Rachelle
Jun 23, 2011 Rachelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes classics
All together a great book. Some of her stories are better then others. It was fun reading the books I'd already seen the movie to. It was interesting to see what was left out in the movies and what was changed. It was also interesting to get more of an in depth look at the characters. This book contains all of her works.
Dawna
Jan 08, 2014 Dawna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Jane Austen is a genius, and has by writing these wonderful books given us a window into another world, a time we can travel back to in an age of chivalry.

Jane speaks of a very different time and the place and role woman played back in the day regency. Period.
Paige West
Aug 05, 2014 Paige West rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my eyes nothing can beat Jane Austen, she defines the definition of Classic Romance. Whether your reading for the first time or re reading again, always do we long for a Mr Darcy to come along and sweep us off our feet!
Julie
Jul 29, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore reading Jane Austen. She paints such a complete picture and I always feel like I am right there watching in person. I can read her books over and over again and enjoy it even more as I pick up more each time.
Sharon Angus
Jun 30, 2009 Sharon Angus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved Pride & Prejudice and Emma and Sense & Sensibility. Persuasion is alright. lol I love the strong women who do what they want and still get the guy in the end.
Apr 04, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: definitely!
Recommended to Sarah by: myself
Shelves: fiction
Jane Austin is one of my all time favorite authors! Each of her novels is perplexing and intriguing, teachable and exemplary. It's hard for me to choose just one. Read them all!
Carole
Apr 22, 2008 Carole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I kept trying to find a listing for just "Emma", but was unable to find one. I finally chose this because it has some of my favorite Jane Austen books in the collection.
Liska
Sep 16, 2009 Liska rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of course all of Jane Austen's stories are wonderful, but this format makes them incredibly difficult to appreciate. I much prefer the individual printings.
Danielle
Nov 21, 2014 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's four of Jane Austen's best works! Who wouldn't love them. Of course, Austen can get a bit lengthy at times, but I love all of her stories.
Laura Garber
Mar 26, 2014 Laura Garber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was a teenager, I couldn't get enough of reading Brit lit. Estates, balls, carriage rides and strong female protagonists. Still love it!
Micah
Feb 14, 2008 Micah marked it as to-read
I've read some, but I figured I'd read all of them. I saw someone I know reading the Collection, and I was like "what a great idea!" So here I am.
Karl W.
Feb 05, 2013 Karl W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Actually read only "Pride and Prejudice" from this collection during this reading. I will likely return to the other novels in the future.
Erisa Dani
Jan 23, 2015 Erisa Dani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite book of Austen is definetely'Pride and Prejuidice'. It's amazingly-written,and the plot is exquisite
Jen
Nov 11, 2008 Jen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book for years and since seeing the movie, "Becoming Jane" have a desire to re-read it!
Gaije
Aug 05, 2011 Gaije rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each one of these is perfect, smart, funny, and devastating at moments. Love, love, love.
TxLadyForever
Oct 06, 2008 TxLadyForever rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-set
This is one of the first book sets I bought upon graduating HS! I have enjoyed them over and over!
Ken Badertscher
This is the omnibus edition I own, but I will be reviewing each of the novels individually.
Becca
Sep 05, 2011 Becca rated it really liked it
I'll never actually finish reading these because I can read and reread Austen over and over again.
Tammie
Oct 01, 2008 Tammie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is going to take some time, but once you get a few pages into it, it flows easily
Peachy
It's an awesome collection..
I received it as a Christmas gift from my mom.
Taralyn
Dec 20, 2007 Taralyn rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Of course. I bought it for my Jane Austen author's class at BYU-I.
Chris Shepherd
Jul 06, 2014 Chris Shepherd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wanting more Jane Austen is a common feeling and I share it.
Tarina
It was great to spend my summer in Austen. A most for all Janeites.
  • Time of the Witch
  • Tassajara Cooking
  • The Shy Little Kitten
  • How to Draw and Paint Fairies: From Finding Inspiration to Capturing Diaphanous Detail, a Step-By-Step Guide to Fairy Art
  • The Art of Amy Brown II
  • Superflirt
  • Escaping into the Open: The Art of Writing True
  • Rolling Thunder
  • Frog And Toad Book Set: Frog And Toad Are Friends; Frog And Toad Together; Days With Frog And Toad; Frog And Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-4)
  • A Modern Day Persuasion: An Adaptation of Jane Austen's Novel
  • Le Mariage
  • Craft of the Wild Witch: Green Spirituality & Natural Enchantment
  • Holidays at Crescent Cove
  • Buckles Me Baby (The Bootscootin' Books #3)
  • Sacrifice of Passion
  • The Christmas Cookie Chronicles: Carrie: A Twilight, Texas Story
  • Five Golden Rings: A Christmas Collection
  • The Faeries' Oracle
Jane Austen (16 December 1775 – 18 July 1817) was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fr
More about Jane Austen...