Start by marking “Not in Our Genes: Biology, Ideology and Human Nature” as Want to Read:
Not in Our Genes: Biology, Ideology and Human Nature

Not in Our Genes: Biology, Ideology and Human Nature

Three eminent scientists analyze the scientific, social, and political roots of biological determinism.
Published February 12th 1985 by Pantheon (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Not in Our Genes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not in Our Genes

Trevor
Jul 11, 2007 Trevor rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
One day there may well be cures for all manner of illnesses that will be due to our deeper understanding of the way genes work. What there will never be is a genetic explanation for racial diffences. That is because such racial differences simply don't exist.

Not only does this book show that genetic explanations for racial differences are just so much pseudo-scientific rubbish, but it also explains, in remarkably simple language, some of the problems with linking 'causes' with 'effects'. The de
Bryn Hammond
I needed these authors at that stage of my intellectual life when I was caught in the toils of sociobiology and evolutionary psychology – dismal years of spiritual depression or oppression. But I didn’t have Goodreads then, to locate alternate ideas, and I’m not of scientific background, to find my way around. So I bought this secondhand a couple of decades too late.

I find it unreadable now. It’s far too politicised, from the calm waters I am since in. Biology is, of course, ideology (their slo
Ruby Hollyberry
Read this many years ago. The entire book is pretty much an answer to too much sociobiology and genetic determinism in some scientific circles at the time. Well, their enemies seem to have survived them. Nature vs. nurture seems to still be going on full steam, with folks on both sides and many more in the middle. These are the nurture guys. But mostly what I remember about the book was the vehement attacks on the purists on the genetic side. What they're saying is largely true: there is a dange ...more
Sanabel Atya
Feb 28, 2013 Sanabel Atya rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, pdf

كالعادة..مثل هذه الكتب تأخذ من وقتي الكثير

مغزى الكتاب –كما أرى- إثبات سُخف البيولوجية الحتمية عند تطبيقها على البشر، وإثبات أن البشر متأثرون بجيناتهم وبالبيئة المحيطة بهم، ومُؤثرون بالبيئة في المقابل. وهذه هي حقائق العلم اليوم.

تعليقي...

فلتسقط الحتمية البيولوجية، والحتمية الثقافية أيضاً. ويا لسخف علماء القرن الماضي-رغم ما قدموه لنا-
استغلوا البيولوجية الحتمة والقائلة بأن الطبيعة البشرية مثبتة بجيناتنا، بأن مارسوا العنصرية بين الأبيض وغيره من البشر،على أساس أن غير البيض هم اقل ذكاء، وما إلى ذلك
Matthew Howard
Jul 07, 2016 Matthew Howard rated it it was amazing
Not in Our Genes offers a penetrating critique of certain assumptions we have about how much of who we are is determined by our genetics. This book also examines how our understanding of genetics has been molded by certain ideologies, and perpetuated through deeply flawed studies and misinformation to serve those ideologies.

This is an academic work, and the discussions of biological determinism often assume the reader can handle some philosophical terminology the authors don't have space to exp
Mary Karpel-Jergic
Apr 08, 2016 Mary Karpel-Jergic rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
This was compulsory reading for my psychology degree at the time and one of the texts that transformed my thinking. It was a great juxtaposition to biological determinism and although I am now, funnily enough, a fan of Steven Pinker I cannot bear to part with this book in case I need reminding of some of their brilliant argument.
Jeff Song
Jul 05, 2010 Jeff Song rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
A really important book for anyone that thinks the socio-politico-economic status quo is based on innate biological factors. This is the antidote to sociobiology...
Conor
Dec 24, 2010 Conor rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, challenging the claims of sociobiology and IQ studies head-on and highlighting the political aspects of science that claims to be objective but is as politicised as hell!
Kerri Kobryn
Kerri Kobryn rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2013
Danny
Danny rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2012
maleni
maleni rated it did not like it
Feb 02, 2013
Gavin Douglas
Gavin Douglas rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2012
Bill Tyne
Bill Tyne rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2013
Alex Wolf
Alex Wolf rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2012
Laura rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2013
John Gillespie
John Gillespie rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2017
Kodi
Kodi rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Elma
Elma rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Maximiliano Estravis Barcala
Maximiliano Estravis Barcala rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2011
Ayokunmi Ajetunmobi
Ayokunmi Ajetunmobi rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2012
Victor Raggio
Victor Raggio rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Cbsd library
Cbsd library rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2017
Eric Adolph
Eric Adolph rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2017
MarinaS
MarinaS rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2013
Ronnie
Ronnie rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2014
Joseph Lamarre
Joseph Lamarre rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2016
Nepeta
Nepeta rated it really liked it
May 31, 2012
Bahman
Bahman rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2007
Marie
Marie rated it really liked it
May 01, 2012
Vlad
Vlad rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Minds, Brains and Science
  • Cultural Anthropology
  • The Mind Doesn't Work That Way: The Scope and Limits of Computational Psychology
  • The Myths We Live by
  • The Dialectical Biologist
  • Peacemaking Among Primates
  • De ongelovige Thomas heeft een punt
  • Biological Exuberance: Animal Homosexuality and Natural Diversity
  • Reading Images: The Grammar of Visual Design
  • Gilles Deleuze (Routledge Critical Thinkers)
  • The Cult of Personality: How Personality Tests Are Leading Us to Miseducate Our Children, Mismanage Our Companies, and Misunderstand Ourselves
  • An Invitation to Reflexive Sociology
  • The Psychology of Judgment and Decision Making
  • A Natural History of Seeing: The Art and Science of Vision
  • The Ant and the Peacock: Altruism and Sexual Selection from Darwin to Today
  • Seven Clues to the Origin of Life: A Scientific Detective Story
  • Evolution
  • The Foucault Effect: Studies in Governmentality
Evolutionary biologist, geneticist and social commentator. Leaded the development of the mathematical basis of population genetics and evolutionary theory. Held an endowed chair in zoology and biology at Harvard University from 1973 to 1998, and since 2003 has been a research professor there.
More about Richard C. Lewontin...