The Dragon Scroll (Sugawara Akitada, #1)

The Dragon Scroll (Sugawara Akitada #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  468 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Sugawara Akitada, seorang bangsawan miskin dari klan Sugawara yang terkenal, mendapat tugas resmi untuk menyelidiki hilangnya pengiriman pajak dari propinsi Kazusa.

Di dunia Politik yang kelam, dimana kebenaran selalu disalahkan, menjadikan penyelidikan ini bertambah berat. Namun, Akitada bersama Seimei dan Tora berjuang untuk menuntaskan kasus ini dan berusaha untukmenguak...more
Published February 2009 by Penerbit Kantera (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon Scroll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon Scroll

Tocotin
One of my Christmas presents! Yay!

...

I wanted to try another mystery series set in Japan, and found this one. It has much better reviews than Laura Joh Rowland's Sano Ichiro books (which are my guilty pleasure despite numerous flaws), so I expected good writing and good research. I was sort of disappointed.

The main character, Sugawara Akitada, is a young, honest and kind of ambitious clerk in the Ministry of Justice. He is also an aristocrat, even if an impoverished one, he's been to court, and...more
Gaby
May 22, 2009 Gaby rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: detective book enthusiasts, Ancient Japan
Summary:

The third in the series by I.J. Parker, The Dragon Scroll features young Sugawara Akitada, an impoverished samurai of noble birth serving as a government clerk at the Ministry of Justice. Sugawara is assigned to investigate the disappearance of tax convoys in the distant province of Kazusa, a seemingly impossible mission. He is accompanied by his loyal family retainer and trusted companion, Seimei. Along the way, Sugawara and Seimei befriend Tora, an army deserter who becomes his servant...more
Susan Johnson
I had a friend recommend this series and this is the first one I read. I don't know why I started with #3. I must have had a brain freeze but I had no trouble in appreciating the story. The mystery was almost too easy. I had it figured out before I was half-way through.

Still it was interesting in reading a novel set in eleventh century Japan and Sugawara Akitada is an engaging hero. The minor characters were well developed and the enitre novel entertaining. I look forward to reading mor...more
Karissa J Murrell Myers
Brilliantly written, Parker's prose is engaging and thought-provoking.
Ryan G
Now after reading that synopsis you would think this is a book full of wonderfully fun characters set in a totally unfamiliar world to most readers, and you would be half right. This is an unfamiliar world to most of us and because of that I find myself not really caring for the characters all that much. The men tend to be sexist and overly hung up on "class" and how people fit into categories that are neither flexible or forgiving. The women are either meek and seeking protection from the men o...more
Bogdan Dobrescu
As an avid fan of everything that is Japanese,my first thought when i saw this book in the shelves of my local bookstore was "OMG!SAMURAIS!JAPANESE CULTURE!KARATE!".PLus,when you add a mistery that is normally associated with modern PI novels,i just had to have it home.
But,you cant judge a book by its covers(and title,and caracters,and synopsis).The book is good.The caracters are good.The dialogue is cursive and it`s highly readable,but it`s just...bland.The writing has actually nothing special....more
Bee-Man
The Story about one man, Akitada Sugawara...In an adventure filled with highway bandits, unscrupulous politicians, and renegade monks, The Dragon Scroll introduces readers to the lively world of eleventh-century Japan and an irrepressible hero—Sugawara Akitada.

On his first official assignment, Akitada—an impoverished nobleman and earnest young government clerk in the Ministry of Justice—is sent from the capital city on a nearly impossible mission to the distant province of Kazusa to discover wh...more
Derek
This is the only book in the mystery genre I've read since reading the complete Sherlock Holmes as a teen. The genre has never interested me much; I've always had this preconception that the genre is particularly formulaic. This book didn't really alter my perception, with a number of mystery cliches. But the setting made it fairly interesting. The author has a good background in medieval Japan, and it shows. Parker's prose is not bad, and her characterization of the main characters was fairly c...more
Linda
Meh. I found the characters to be pretty stereotypical- young, naive nobleman; faithful but cranky servant; femme fatale; tomboy... The plot was mildly interesting, and the details about medieval Japan were, too. Not sure the author captures the sensibilities of the era, though.
Naomi
My dad bought me the first two books in this series as stocking stuffers this year. Our taste in books is usually not compatible, so I was not expecting to enjoy this as much as I did. While I probably would never have begun this series on my own, I am glad to have a new series to enjoy. This wasn't difficult to read, and the main characters, Tora, Seimei and Akitada, were likable.

I usually do not read mysteries, but I find them to be great to read as a 'break'. Something entertaining and not d...more
Li Y.
The book is set in the 11th century in Japan. Sugawara Akitada is a 25-year-old junior clerk at Ministry of Law. He was sent to the province of Kazusa for a special assignment - to check on the missing taxes. Akitada has a good sense of judgement but kind of hot-headed.

This is probably one of the mystery books that I enjoyed reading. I like is that the setting is medieval Japan because I enjoy reading historical novels. Sometimes funny, sometimes thought-provoking. All in all it was worth readi...more
gepenk
htanzil
The Dragon Scroll adalah sebuah kisah detektif dengan setting Jepang di abad ke 11 ketika pemerintahan Jepang berada dalam periode Heian (794-1185). Mirip dengan kekaisaran Teng di China yang pemerintahannya terpusat, Jepang dikendalikan langsung dari ibukota Heian Kyo (Kyoto) oleh seorang kaisar dengan birokrasi yang rumit. Saat itu Jepang dibagi ke dalam beberapa propinsi yang diperintah oleh seorang gubernur yang bertugas mengawasi hukum dan tata tertib di daerahnya, termasuk penarikan pajak...more
Brett Bydairk
Taking place at the end of 1014, this is actually the first novel about Sugawara Akitada, even though it was published 2nd.
Akitada is sent to a distant province to probe the loss of tax revenues going back three years; it is obvious to him that he was meant to fail, but after much turmoil, he finds the thief, foils a plot to overthrow the government, and solves several murders. There is nice character development and some good plotting, as well as descriptions of life in 11th C. Japan.
Jeannen
This is the third in a series set in medieval Japan, although it is a prequel to the first two books in the series. It’s about an impoverished member of the nobility who holds a position in the government and is sent to discover what’s happening to the tax payments that are leaving a town and not making it to the capital. I’m told that the historical details are quite accurate, but the style of writing is stilted and although the thoughts and rationales of the characters may be historically accu...more
Amy
Jun 20, 2013 Amy marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, reviewed
The Dragon Scroll isn't bad. Actually, it's fairly entertaining. The problem is, I've read almost all of the books in the Judge Dee series, and I love them. Judge Dee and his assistants kick Sugawara Akitada and his sidekicks' butts. They're tougher, their bonds are deeper, their antics are more entertaining, and the justice that they deliver is swift, dramatic, and often very bloody. I can't help but compare the Judge Dee novels to this Sugawara Akitada novel, because there are big similarities...more
Mark Bruce
Jul 02, 2007 Mark Bruce rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
The first book of a very satisfying series on a medieval Japanese official, Akira, who has a knack for solving mysteries. He is sent to a rural province to look into why the taxes aren't coming through, and ends up being involved in the killing of an official.

Along the way he brings his ancient retainer, who has hidden resources, and picks up another servant, a rouge and outlaw who ends up being very, very helpful.

Great thing about this book and series: The author has not only researched the cul...more
Bee-Man

Didunia Politik yang kelam, dimana kebenaran selalu disalahkan, menjadikan penyelidikan ini bertambah berat. Namun, Akitada bersama Seimei dan Tora berjuang untuk menuntaskan kasus ini dan berusaha untukmenguak apa yang sesungguhnya sedang terjadi di Kazusa, sebuah propinsi yang penuh dengan intrik politik dan kasus pembunuhan beranta...more
Sarah Brehm
I.J. Parker has a solid writing style, but I never seemed to get really invested in the story; at some point I was just reading to finish it.
Writerlibrarian
I liked how slowly the plot unraveled. How Akitada by being bold and trying very hard to not 'be' just a nobleman beats all odds and solves the intricate web of deceit and murders he is faced with.

I especially like the relationship between Akitada, Tora and Seimei. All three from very different social classes nobility, be it not influential nobility, public servant and soldier create a formidable unit of investigators. This was the first book in the series. I had read the second one and I am sti...more
Dawn
I was very excited to find a mystery series set in medieval Japan. I thought for sure that it was going to be a good book based on the reviews I had read but I couldn’t even finish it. I’m not sure if this was affected by the fact that I listened to it instead of reading the story but I found it tedious and frustrating and the characters were annoying in the extreme and very stereotypical. I can’t say much about the plot or the story as I didn’t make it that far but after listening to the end it...more
Essau Alli
This book is about a boy that lives in China. He goes on many adventures and explores the world as he travels all over the place. HE gains more alliances as he continues his journey.

I can connect this book to the world because there are many people who like to travel. They go on many journeys all over the world and explore different places. They like to meet different people of different places and different cultures.

I rate this book 4 stars because I thought it was interesting to read.

judy
Didn't like the first book I read from this series because I wasn't ready to appreciate what the author is doing. She isn't making up 11th century Japan. She understands the history, customs and takes some of her story lines from ancient Japanese tales. In other words, vampires don't sparkle. I am hooked on this series because, so far, it's pleasant, reliable and keeps on moving. I do enjoy imagining the scenery and aesthetics of Japanese life. Plus, they're not into tea yet and neither am I.
Alan
I didn't find much adventure, much character, or much interest.
Richard
I really like the way Parker writes about ancient Japan. Knowing a bit about Japan, I feel it's quite authentic in terms of culture and scene, while also being somewhat modern in terms of how she relates the characters' thoughts and feelings to us, a modern audience. After I read this book, Parker went on my "buy on sight" list, and I've read the entire series, in order. Now I always pre-order her work... At some point, I'll probably read the whole series again in one gulp.
Carol
Fascinating - both because it is set in 11th century Japan and also because of the well-developed characters. As a mystery lover, I'm well aware that --typically - if the mystery's good, the characters are mere caricatures,or - if the characters are fully realized, the mystery's lame. In this instance, Parker's produced a wonderful novel where both the mystery and the characters are complex and satisfying. Can't wait to read more in the Akitada series.
Chris
First book I read in this series and it was quite enjoyable. Set up for failure the noble investigator, Akitada, through diligence and the unstinting loyalty of his team perseveres. Things are never as they seem and the directness and indirectness of the culture and the class conflict make for some humorous and interesting moments. Good plot with even a love story. Looking forward to reading more of Akitada's exploits.
Susie
There were a number of these mysteries featuring Sugawara Akitada on the new audio book shelf at our library. I picked up the first one just to try it on for size - it fits well. I liked the characters, the reader, Roy Yongtama, is understandable although some of the voices he uses are irritating. I like the setting, ancient Japan, because I get to learn something about a different culture. I'm going to pick up book two soon.
Ted
The back cover says it's the first book in the Sugawara series, so I'm not sure why goodreads says it's #3. A prequel perhaps? Regardless, Akitada's first case starts off remarkably similar to his sixth or seventh: a power struggle between the upper castes, a beautiful woman in need or protection or persecution, nobility and honor for days... And yet, it just does not get old.
cindy
adegan klimaksnya kurang seru, terlalu sesuai rencana dan tanpa twist yg mengejutkan, tapi alur ceritanya sendiri bagus dan jalinan misterinya menarik untuk diikuti. endingnya benar2 aku suka... biasanya epilog yang rada panjang begini bikin bosan, tp di novel ini malah mampu menyimpulkan semua misteri cerita dan membuatku penasaran mengira-ngira nasib akitada setelahnya.
  • The Last Shogun: The Life of Tokugawa Yoshinobu
  • The Way of the Traitor  (Sano Ichiro, #3)
  • The Monkey and The Tiger
  • Kastel Awan Burung Gereja (Samurai, #1)
  • Rivalry: A Geisha's Tale
  • A Play of Isaac (Joliffe the Player, #1)
  • Tattoo Murder Case
  • Devoured
  • The Mask of Ra (Amerotke, #1)
  • SPQR V: Saturnalia (SPQR, #5)
  • Aristotle Detective
Rashomon Gate (Sugawara Akitada, #2) Black Arrow (Sugawara Akitada, #3) Island of Exiles (Sugawara Akitada, #4) The Hell Screen (Sugawara Akitada, #5) The Convict's Sword (Sugawara Akitada, #6)