Start by marking “Winter Cottage” as Want to Read:
Winter Cottage

Winter Cottage

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A Depression family appropriates a summer cottage in the Wisconsin woods, where they spend the winter and welcome all visitors, including a runaway youth and two strangers.
Hardcover
Published 1968 by Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Winter Cottage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Cottage

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanSmilla's Sense of Snow by Peter HøegThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson
Land of Ice and Snow
31st out of 110 books — 55 voters
When Marnie Was There by Joan G. RobinsonJane-Emily by Patricia ClappMoondial by Helen CresswellMarianne Dreams by Catherine StorrThursday's Child by Noel Streatfeild
Obscure Children's Vintage Gems
10th out of 235 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Winter Cottage by Carol Ryrie Brink read January 2015

Absolutely loved this little-known gem. Though Winter Cottage collects dust while its more famous sister, Caddie Woodlawn, gets all the fame, WC is an excellent book in its own right and it's a shame that it is out-of-print. My library still has a copy in circulation, thank goodness, and if you can get your hands on a copy I urge you to read it without delay before libraries start discarding them.

As with Brink's other works, the characters in
CLM
Little did I know when I first read and fell in love with this book that one day I too would be entering sweepstakes (and winning).

The charm of this family - the enterprising father and the two daughters who yearn for a settled home - makes you root for them and crave just a taste of Pa's famous pancakes.
Sylvester
Just came across this one again - wow, does it bring back memories! My Dad must have read this to us half a dozen times, we loved it so much. I remember the kids entering contests (which they found on the backs of tin cans and flour sacks)in order to try to earn money to pay the rent (on the empty cottage they occupied). If I remember right, the Dad used to make pancakes he called "golwallopers" and "whales". Absolutely loved this as a kid.
Hannah
I suspect I would have adored this as a child, and had fond memories re-reading it later as an adult. As it is, I can only rate it according to my adult standards. A solid 3 stars for the story, and 4 stars for the cute vintage illustrations.

Jan
Thanks again for a great recommendation, Constance!

How I would have loved this as a child, because I loved it now!
During the depression a down-on-their-luck family "rents" the summer cottage that their car breaks down next to for the winter.

Small caveat: this verges on my most hated of children's genres - the kids are smarter than the adults and take care of the adults - but it didn't cross my line, quite.
My daughter read this book last week and she loved it. She went on to read Baby Island and when I searched for other titles by Brink, I remembered how much I loved so many of them. Unfortunately, our library does not have all of them -- so I wanted to add the titles to my list of books because I loved them so much and books can disappear so easily.
Kathryn
First sentence: The Vincents' summer cottage in northern Wisconsin had been empty for two months.

Favorite quote: "I thought that no one could ever be nicer than the Marcia Vincent in the picture, but I was wrong. I liked the real one better.

This story was so captivating, warm and loving. The cast of characters were such fun. There was Pops, Araminta although everyone called her Minty, Eglantine who went by Eggs and Buster the dog. Later in the story along came Joe Boles. The author is well know
Barb
Very sweet. I knew what the "big surprise" was, but it was still kind of an innocent feel good book that didn't necessarily pull me in, but I know that if I had come across this in fourth grade I would have read and reread it over and over.
Peggy
So glad I heard about this through the Betsy-Tacy list. It has some of the same "homemaking" charm as another favorite, Dandelion Cottage, the coziness of winter, and a fun twist at the end.
Rissie
Cute book, but what is the difference between "adventure renting" and "breaking and entering"? I would have liked to see that discussed further (or maybe not).
Starry
Another find among the older juvenile books. Takes place during the Depression when a father and his 2 daughters, down on their luck, are stranded in northern Wisconsin near a closed up summer cottage. They decide to stay in the cottage for the winter, and the oldest daughter (the only practical member of the family) is left trying to find a way to pay rent to the unknown owners. I thought the book had a slow start. But, over time, I grew fond of the characters and found the ending, though not s ...more
Kate
This young adult book was written in 1939 and is set during the depression. A homeless widower and his children are traveling to stay with his unwelcoming sister when their car breaks down on a back road. The family takes shelter in a summer cottage for the night and ends up spending the winter. A good story exquisitely told.
JoDean
Book is out of print, so I got ILL to see if it's worthy to purchase. Stay tuned.

Setting is fall of 1930. I wanted to find some children's lit written about the last crises period we had in the US.

*****
Nice story, but not really what I was hoping for.
Megan
I LOVE this book. It's like the best story ever. It's a family favorite. We used to read it in the car on vacations. It's got such a great story, and this cool thing about pancakes. You have to read it. It's one of those warm fuzzy type stories. Yeah...
Leslie
All time favorite family read aloud! If you live in where you experience winter, save it for a cold season and read with hot chocolate! It is very hard not to read the entire book in one sitting! Delicious!
Fullfaun
Sep 27, 2013 Fullfaun rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jetmound, mel
I read this book when I was in grade school and I Adore It, reread it several times.

and I want to make the panacakes called Gogglewockers that they made.
Grace
Suggested in a recent OCTE Journal as a book for children to read during hard times. Language and story a bit dated, but still engaging. Middle school level.
Kari
I loved this one when I read several years ago! But I don't think I knew before that Brink wrote it.
Omi
I looooved this. :) So fun and cozy.
Maria Pyon
Maria Pyon marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Louis Lionel
Louis Lionel marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Daniel Ervin
Daniel Ervin marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Arielibra
Arielibra marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Sparrow
Sparrow marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Philomena
  • Prairie School
  • Magic Elizabeth
  • That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky, #1)
  • The Children Who Lived in a Barn
  • The Four Graces
  • The Priory
  • Sarah's Story (Quantock Quartet, #1)
  • Henrietta's War: News from the Home Front 1939-1942
  • Betsy Was a Junior & Betsy and Joe
  • Time at the Top
  • They Loved to Laugh
  • Edward Eager's Tales of Magic (Tales of Magic #1 - 7)
  • The Secret Language
  • An Episode of Sparrows
  • Around the World in 100 Days
  • The Rosemary Tree
  • The Belonging Place
Born Caroline Ryrie, American author of over 30 juvenile and adult books. Her novel Caddie Woodlawn won the 1936 Newbery Medal.

Brink was orphaned by age 8 and raised by her maternal grandmother, the model for Caddie Woodlawn. She started writing for her school newspapers and continued that in college. She attended the University of Idaho for three years before transferring to the University of Cal
More about Carol Ryrie Brink...
Caddie Woodlawn Caddie Woodlawn's Family Baby Island The Pink Motel Two Are Better Than One