Start by marking “Winter Cottage” as Want to Read:
Winter Cottage

Winter Cottage

A Depression family appropriates a summer cottage in the Wisconsin woods, where they spend the winter and welcome all visitors, including a runaway youth and two strangers.
Hardcover
Published 1968 by Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Winter Cottage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Cottage

Thursday's Child by Noel StreatfeildJane-Emily by Patricia ClappFog Magic by Julia L. SauerMarianne Dreams by Catherine StorrA Stitch In Time by Penelope Lively
Obscure Children's Vintage Gems
7th out of 363 books — 90 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisSmilla's Sense of Snow by Peter HøegThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonDoctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak
Land of Ice and Snow
31st out of 120 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Winter Cottage by Carol Ryrie Brink read January 2015

Absolutely loved this little-known gem. Though Winter Cottage collects dust while its more famous sister, Caddie Woodlawn, gets all the fame, WC is an excellent book in its own right and it's a shame that it is out-of-print. My library still has a copy in circulation, thank goodness, and if you can get your hands on a copy I urge you to read it without delay before libraries start discarding them.

As with Brink's other works, the characters in
Hilary Woolf
Mar 18, 2016 Hilary Woolf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely winter read, written in 1939 describes how a family down on their luck shelter in a summer cottage during the hard months of winter. About hope, making friends and trusting people.
CLM
Little did I know when I first read and fell in love with this book that one day I too would be entering sweepstakes (and winning).

The charm of this family - the enterprising father and the two daughters who yearn for a settled home - makes you root for them and crave just a taste of Pa's famous pancakes.
Sylvester
Just came across this one again - wow, does it bring back memories! My Dad must have read this to us half a dozen times, we loved it so much. I remember the kids entering contests (which they found on the backs of tin cans and flour sacks)in order to try to earn money to pay the rent (on the empty cottage they occupied). If I remember right, the Dad used to make pancakes he called "golwallopers" and "whales". Absolutely loved this as a kid.
Hannah
Apr 24, 2014 Hannah rated it liked it
I suspect I would have adored this as a child, and had fond memories re-reading it later as an adult. As it is, I can only rate it according to my adult standards. A solid 3 stars for the story, and 4 stars for the cute vintage illustrations.

Jan
Feb 11, 2012 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Thanks again for a great recommendation, Constance!

How I would have loved this as a child, because I loved it now!
During the depression a down-on-their-luck family "rents" the summer cottage that their car breaks down next to for the winter.

Small caveat: this verges on my most hated of children's genres - the kids are smarter than the adults and take care of the adults - but it didn't cross my line, quite.
Jul 27, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter read this book last week and she loved it. She went on to read Baby Island and when I searched for other titles by Brink, I remembered how much I loved so many of them. Unfortunately, our library does not have all of them -- so I wanted to add the titles to my list of books because I loved them so much and books can disappear so easily.
Peggy
Feb 14, 2014 Peggy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit, read-2014
So glad I heard about this through the Betsy-Tacy list. It has some of the same "homemaking" charm as another favorite, Dandelion Cottage, the coziness of winter, and a fun twist at the end.
Kate
Apr 14, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This young adult book was written in 1939 and is set during the depression. A homeless widower and his children are traveling to stay with his unwelcoming sister when their car breaks down on a back road. The family takes shelter in a summer cottage for the night and ends up spending the winter. A good story exquisitely told.
Julie  Durnell
Nov 13, 2015 Julie Durnell rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas, childrens
This was a dear story - a children's book actually but I found it a delightful change of pace. The illustrations were well done as well. Minty is wiser than her sixteen years and is the mother figure for her younger sister, and handles Pop, who is a bit of a dreamer, quite well.
Dustbunniesandbooks
Great, sweet story....I miss stories like this. Those who like the original Boxcar Children would probably enjoy this too.

For those that homeschool, this story would be a good read-aloud to use with a poetry study, as Pop is always quoting bits of famous poetry.
Kathryn
Apr 06, 2015 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, 2015
First sentence: The Vincents' summer cottage in northern Wisconsin had been empty for two months.

Favorite quote: "I thought that no one could ever be nicer than the Marcia Vincent in the picture, but I was wrong. I liked the real one better.

This story was so captivating, warm and loving. The cast of characters were such fun. There was Pops, Araminta although everyone called her Minty, Eglantine who went by Eggs and Buster the dog. Later in the story along came Joe Boles. The author is well know
Barb Fecteau
Feb 04, 2014 Barb Fecteau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very sweet. I knew what the "big surprise" was, but it was still kind of an innocent feel good book that didn't necessarily pull me in, but I know that if I had come across this in fourth grade I would have read and reread it over and over.
Joni Rupnow
Cute story. It's just funny to read stories about back then and they think nothing of living in a place with no electricity or plumbing.
Rissie
Nov 05, 2014 Rissie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book, but what is the difference between "adventure renting" and "breaking and entering"? I would have liked to see that discussed further (or maybe not).
Starry
Jan 18, 2009 Starry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another find among the older juvenile books. Takes place during the Depression when a father and his 2 daughters, down on their luck, are stranded in northern Wisconsin near a closed up summer cottage. They decide to stay in the cottage for the winter, and the oldest daughter (the only practical member of the family) is left trying to find a way to pay rent to the unknown owners. I thought the book had a slow start. But, over time, I grew fond of the characters and found the ending, though not s ...more
JoDean
May 11, 2009 JoDean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book is out of print, so I got ILL to see if it's worthy to purchase. Stay tuned.

Setting is fall of 1930. I wanted to find some children's lit written about the last crises period we had in the US.

*****
Nice story, but not really what I was hoping for.
Megan
Oct 26, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE this book. It's like the best story ever. It's a family favorite. We used to read it in the car on vacations. It's got such a great story, and this cool thing about pancakes. You have to read it. It's one of those warm fuzzy type stories. Yeah...
Leslie
Jun 22, 2009 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-alouds
All time favorite family read aloud! If you live in where you experience winter, save it for a cold season and read with hot chocolate! It is very hard not to read the entire book in one sitting! Delicious!
Fullfaun
Sep 27, 2013 Fullfaun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jetmound, mel
I read this book when I was in grade school and I Adore It, reread it several times.

and I want to make the panacakes called Gogglewockers that they made.
Grace
Suggested in a recent OCTE Journal as a book for children to read during hard times. Language and story a bit dated, but still engaging. Middle school level.
Kari
Dec 12, 2013 Kari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this one when I read several years ago! But I don't think I knew before that Brink wrote it.
Omi
Jan 29, 2013 Omi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I looooved this. :) So fun and cozy.
Crabby Constance
Crabby Constance marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Claudette
Claudette marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
C
C marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Wendyb
Wendyb rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Sam Miller
Sam Miller marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Bobby Underwood
Bobby Underwood marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
  • Magic Elizabeth
  • Ginnie and Geneva (Ginnie and Geneva, #1)
  • Prairie School
  • Betsy Was a Junior / Betsy and Joe (Betsy-Tacy #7-8)
  • That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky, #1)
  • The Little Colonel
  • Sarah's Story
  • The Belonging Place
  • The Children Who Lived in a Barn
  • Big Sister and Little Sister
  • Edward Eager's Tales of Magic (Tales of Magic #1 - 7)
  • Fauna and Family
  • Philomena
  • Henrietta's War: News from the Home Front 1939-1942
Born Caroline Ryrie, American author of over 30 juvenile and adult books. Her novel Caddie Woodlawn won the 1936 Newbery Medal.

Brink was orphaned by age 8 and raised by her maternal grandmother, the model for Caddie Woodlawn. She started writing for her school newspapers and continued that in college. She attended the University of Idaho for three years before transferring to the University of Cal
More about Carol Ryrie Brink...