Start by marking “Boy Meets Girl (Boy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Boy Meets Girl (Boy, #2)

Boy Meets Girl (Boy #2)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  23,158 Ratings  ·  1,036 Reviews
Meet Kate Mackenzie. She:

- works for the T.O.D. (short for Tyrannical Office Despot, also known as Amy Jenkins,Director of the Human Resources Division at the New York Journal)
- is sleeping on the couch because her boyfriend of ten years refuses to commit
- can't find an affordable studio apartment anywhere in New York City
- thinks things can't get any worse.

They can. Becau
Published (first published January 6th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Boy Meets Girl, please sign up.

Tanzila Abedin It's a very good book. No one can regret reading this or thinking it was a waste of time to read this. It won't matter how much you love this book or…moreIt's a very good book. No one can regret reading this or thinking it was a waste of time to read this. It won't matter how much you love this book or not but you will not regret reading this book. It had me laughing until my tummy hurt. It's also unique in terms of writing style. Not to mention it's a cute love story. :)(less)
Cori Ilardi I read them out of order. I read Every Boy's Got One, then Boy Meets Girl, then the Boy Next Door. There are certain side characters that appear…moreI read them out of order. I read Every Boy's Got One, then Boy Meets Girl, then the Boy Next Door. There are certain side characters that appear throughout the books, but there's nothing major that you won't understand by reading out of order!(less)

kamxx
Jan 16, 2009 kamxx rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing that struck me most is when the father of the Hortzags said: “..I can see how this information might be upsetting to some of you. However, I had a near death experience a year ago, and it taught me one thing: Don’t waste your time on astupid shit. And frankly, all I seem to hear from some of you people is stupid shit.

“..Now I would appreciate it if you would all quit calling me, e-mailing me, FedExing me, faxing me, and leaving messages for me at the hotel desk. I am on VACATION. I wil
Nov 24, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, romance
In a continuing "series*" of modern epistolary romances, we have added IM conversations to the mix, and journals kept mostly on scrap paper. Again we have a recently jilted protagonist who bumps into an extremely eligible bachelor only in this book, over the course of a fortnight they interact maybe four times for maybe an hour each time. But they still manage to fall madly and deeply in love, overcoming several obstacles (each of them dealing with their families and their work, but not particul ...more
Keris
Feb 24, 2008 Keris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ten pages into this book and I was ready to give up. But I persevered and found myself getting into it despite myself. The most important thing to realise before starting this is that it's not a novel. That is to say there are no chapters and no dialogue. Instead, the entire book is made up of letters, emails, transcripts of instant message conversations, minutes from meetings, diary entries and just about anything else that can be put down on paper.

If you're not expecting this clever style of c
Anne
Jul 19, 2009 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of Meg Cabot, I know that her books can be funny at times, but I was surprised at the number of times I actually laughed out loud while reading this book.

Although this is definitely a stand-alone book, I did appreciate the return of several characters from Boy Next Door in minor roles as well as the chance to see just how vile Amy Johnson (unlike most of the HR professionals I know) really is.

I also appreciated the diary entries (some of which were very creatively written between the li
Nic
Jun 24, 2010 Nic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nic by: Arlene Sweet
Shelves: romance-awww, 2010, adult
This book left me in a really good mood. It was a light hearted, fun and entertaining romantic comedy that had me laughing out loud several times.

It is the first book I have read that is written entirely in the form of emails, journal entries, receipts, instant messaging, menus, memos, dispositions and receipts and I was suprised at how well it worked. The story was easy to follow and it didn't lack details despite it's format. This book had a huge cast of characters. Sometimes when there are s
Arlene
Apr 10, 2009 Arlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boy Meets Girl is the first book I've read by Meg Cabot, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Typically, books written in the form of letters between characters do not appeal to me, but this book was cleverly designed and I couldn't help but fall into the storyline and be captivated from the get go. It is a compilation of emails, journal entries, voice mail messages, transaction receipts, deposition transcripts, memos and corporate communications between over a dozen characters. You would think with th ...more
Sara
As the first book in the series, this novel is written as a modern epistolary. With texts and emails exchanges, notes, letters, and reports.
I loved the second book in the boys series. It is just as witty, fun, and smart as the first one. The epistolary interactions were so clever and fun to read.
The only missing part, compared to the first book at least, was maybe a bit of a mystery to solve. I also did not care for the recipes.
Mrs. Lopez shenanigans about pie distribution were hilarious.

Overall
Kaethe
Boy Meets Girl - Meg Cabot 16 Apr 2004
1 May 2016

These books do not particularly embed themselves deep into my psyche; I have, in fact, forgotten even the broad plotline. But reading them delights me. The are funny, they are charming, they beguile an hour or two which might otherwise be fraught with angst or sadness.

Library copy
Freckles
zboznuju meg cabotovou. kdybych mela byt objektivni, jsou to spis 4*, ale kdyz ja se tak bavila, ze proste nemam chut byt objektivni ;-)
Abby♡
Apr 12, 2017 Abby♡ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vidumini Pamuditha
Jun 17, 2014 Vidumini Pamuditha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
*4.5* stars

Boy Meets Girl is yet another amazing book written by Meg Cabot. I really haven't read a book that is written in the form of e-mails,IMs, Voice Messages and Notices before except for Love Letters to the Dead which I haven't still finished yet. So, I think this my first ever finished book of that type. It really grabbed my attention from the first page itself. I loved this book so much. Really enjoyed it!!! Way to go Meg Cabot!
Shannon
Mar 09, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I was so confused in the beginning, I thought that Meg Cabot would continue the story of the first book so I thought I was reading the wrong book. I really enjoyed reading this book but only the e-mail format would have been better.
Candice
Nov 14, 2014 Candice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sooooooo cute! I love books like these!
Carla
Jan 28, 2012 Carla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
In whichever angle, this is definitely not The Book for guys. xD

It is, however, the perfect mirror for women. Everything about this book is just silly girlish. I swear if it isn't about anything a woman undergoes through then I'm not sure I'm a woman myself. By that, I mean EXes, soon-to-be-boyfriends, fiancees, and girl bestfriends combined with life and conflict rolled into a single book of pure and non-stop gossip. Top that.

As a matter of fact, I unexpectedly liked it.

Meg Cabot - the very s
Jenna Burks
SPOILER ALERT
Genre- Realistic Fiction
To me this book's theme is love. The book is about a girl Kate and she works for this newspaper place, whatever they are called. Ida Lopez just got fired for not letting Stuart Hertzog have a piece of her homemade delicious goodness. Kate has been with her boyfriend Dale for ten years, then he starts his own band and he breaks up with Kate. Well, Kate breaks up with him. In the midst of all of this Stuart Hertzog is newly engaged to Amy Jenkins. Soon after Ka
MJ
Jan 18, 2008 MJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to MJ by: The complete Idiots guide to the Ultimate reading list
You might know the name Meg Cabot from the Princess Diaries series but this book is nothing like Princess Diaries. It centers around Kate who is working as an HR rrep for a New York Newspaper called The Journal. She has a horrible boss and works with her best friend Jen. Her boss Amy asks her to fire the most popular person at the Newspaper Ida (the desserts cart lady). Ida refuses to serves desserts to people she thinks doesnot deserve them (mainly Amy's boyfriend Stuart who is also cheif legal ...more
Juwi
May 14, 2014 Juwi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

this book is so cute.

i can totally imagine me being like Kate in a few years stressing over jobs and what am i doing with my life etc and being hella awkward around cute guys.

THIS BOOK COMES WITH RECIPES WHICH I AM SO GOING TO TRY OUT ESPECIALLY THE COOKIES RECIPE OMG.

so if you've read Guy Next Door by Meg Cabot then it is very similair...it's an office setting and it's written through emails and journal entries and yeah it's pretty funny and really cute and yeah it's predictable but
Trisha
May 11, 2011 Trisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what a wonderful guilty pleasure. I absolutely LOVED this fun little read. the instant chat conversations, letters, emails~ they were just a wonderful and interesting way to read a book. And I loved the main characters. I love that she was sassy and loved and caring. I loved the dialogue between mitch and his 2 sisters and Kate and her Best Friend. All so funny.
Michelle
Another fun, fast, easy read! I wish it had been more of a sequel to The Boy Next Door, but at least the characters were worked into this book a little.
The writing was interesting because of the different mediums: email, IM, memo, etc. A little cheesy at times, but still a cute book. 3.5 stars.
Deyse
The romance was less bantery and more on the instalove side of things but this is still a Meg Cabot book so it was a fun and quick read, great for when you're in bed with a cold like I'm right now.
Annika
Feb 02, 2017 Annika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful!
R.A.
Mar 06, 2017 R.A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Legitimately laughter inducing. Sometimes you just need that, ya know?
Icha
Apr 25, 2008 Icha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorite
Boy Meets Girl
Meg Cabot, 2004
Avon Books, Harper Collins Publishere.Inc.
****************************
Kathleen “Kate” Mackenzie is a Personel Representative Human Resources The New York Journal. One day, Amy Jenkins, The Director, asked her to fire Ida Lopez from Craft Food Services The New York Journal, just because she did not give a pie to Mr Stuart Hertzog.
Amy Jenkins is very angry because Mr Hertzog is actually her “fiancee” and she claims that Ida Lopez should take the responsibility of this
Cassidy Johnson
The writing isn't of the best quality. I know Cabot was trying to attract a younger crowd to the young adult/romance books. Almost on every page there is an "I mean..." in a sentence. Every time the main protagonist wants to elaborate on a subject, she writes "I mean..." This gets old; I mean really, Miss Cabot, you couldn't just clarify whom you're talking about or what you were referring to in the first sentence the "I mean," was referring to? Oh, well; that can't be fixed now.

I'm really confl
Ariana
Jan 19, 2016 Ariana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Epistolary books are the best! I love to read and there isn't anything better than getting lost in a world created for you to explore by an author. But sometimes I want to skip over all the narration and get to the interaction between the characters. And that's what you get in a book like this. It's all about the back and forth through emails, letters, texts/IMs, messages, memos etc. without the middleman. Don't get me wrong I love when a scene is set up and you can see it in your head but somet ...more
kari
Apr 10, 2009 kari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009, 5-star
This is my very favorite Meg Cabot book.
I like the style in which this story is told, through emails, phone messages, texts, journal entries, notes of menus and meeting agendas. It is an interesting and quick reading format that I think really works well. I'm surprised at all of the detail Cabot manages to include while writing in this fashion.
Kate is a character I liked from the first page, she is a kind-hearted and sympathetic person who's put in the very awkward position of having to fire a
Ian
Feb 06, 2013 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been my favorite book I've read all year. It was funnier than the books that try to be funny and has more of a story rather than jumping around to different characters all the time. The character in the book was Kate Makenzie and she was looking for a boyfriend because she broke up with her ex a couple months before. She is trying to find a house to live in so she doesn't have to live in her friends apartment. She also got fired from her job because of a "hot" lawyer.
Later in the
Rachel
Apr 12, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
OH MY GOSH!! I'm still hyperventilating from laughing so hard. Seriously, I was reading this at school and probably looked like an idiot, cackling into my "math notes". The whole book is written in emails, IM's, and other correspondences. I loved it. I've only read one other book written like that, but that was a while ago, so this was quite refreshing. Kate was adorable, the little spaz. And Mitch... I think I love him. Actually, I know I do! The book was cute, funny, and dealt with the issues ...more
Pooja
Jan 13, 2016 Pooja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, it's been a while since I've read this book--I think I found in my high school library. Did it belong in a place where a 13 year old could check it out? Probably not, but I'm glad I read it anyway.

On a whim, I checked this book out and ended up mostly re-reading it. I forgot how much I had loved this book, and was surprised by how much I still enjoyed it. Hell, I think I like it a lot more now, but I'm on the other side of 20 and closer to the age of the protagonist, Kate. Poor, sweet, Kent
Amanda
Jul 20, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was hesitant to read this since the whole book is written in email letters. I didn't think I would enjoy that style, but once I started I got used to the format pretty quickly and found that it worked quite well. I didn't realize that this was the second book in the series until after I started it but this can be read as a standalone.

Kate was a good character. She was strong willed and has the drive to want to make a difference. Mitch was a character I liked from the moment he was introduced.
Goodreads Librari...: Run together description in "Boy Meets Girl" 2 21 Jul 16, 2013 05:30PM
Meg Cabot Fan Club: Boy Meets Girl 1 4 Feb 04, 2012 05:21PM
YA and Teen books!: Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot 1 1 Jan 21, 2012 06:48AM
  • Educating Caroline
  • Society Girls
  • Rites of Spring (Break) (Secret Society Girl, #3)
  • A Girl's Best Friend
  • Bachelorette #1
  • Why Girls Are Weird
  • I Did (But I Wouldn't Now) (Crandell Sisters, #2)
  • Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City (Holly's Inbox #2)
  • As Seen on TV
  • Faking It (Dempseys, #2)
  • Girls Night Out
  • According to Jane
  • School of Fortune
  • Lost & Found
  • The Cinderella Rules (Glass Slipper, Inc., #1)
  • The Nine Month Plan
  • If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend

More about Meg Cabot...

Boy (4 books)
  • The Boy Next Door (Boy, #1)
  • Every Boy's Got One (Boy, #3)
  • The Boy Is Back (Boy, #4)

“So Uncle Stuart is marrying that lady? Mom says she's going to be our aunt Amy. She's okay except she would't try any peanut butter M&M chocolate chip fudge cookies. They were good- you ate five, remember? But she said she was on a special diet, and couldn't eat something called carbs. We told her we didn't put any carbs in our cookies, just M&Ms, but she said M&Ms were carbs.
Uncle Mitch, what's carbs?
email to Uncle Mitch from Haily and Brittany”
49 likes
“What is the sound of one hand clapping? What is the weight of a single grain of sand? The answer is equal to my interest in the message you are about to leave so make it short. -- Mitch Hertzog's voice mail message.” 27 likes