Boy Meets Girl (Boy, #2)

Boy Meets Girl (Boy #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  15,322 ratings  ·  813 reviews
Meet Kate Mackenzie. She:

-works for the T.O.D. (short for Tyrannical Office Despot, also known as Amy Jenkins, Director of the Human Resources Division at the New York Journal)
-is sleeping on the couch because her boyfriend of ten years refuses to commit
-can't find an affordable studio apartment anywhere in New York City
-thinks things can't get any worse.

They can. Because:...more
Published (first published January 6th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Boy Meets Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boy Meets Girl

kamxx
One thing that struck me most is when the father of the Hortzags said: “..I can see how this information might be upsetting to some of you. However, I had a near death experience a year ago, and it taught me one thing: Don’t waste your time on astupid shit. And frankly, all I seem to hear from some of you people is stupid shit.

“..Now I would appreciate it if you would all quit calling me, e-mailing me, FedExing me, faxing me, and leaving messages for me at the hotel desk. I am on VACATION. I wil...more
Keris
Ten pages into this book and I was ready to give up. But I persevered and found myself getting into it despite myself. The most important thing to realise before starting this is that it's not a novel. That is to say there are no chapters and no dialogue. Instead, the entire book is made up of letters, emails, transcripts of instant message conversations, minutes from meetings, diary entries and just about anything else that can be put down on paper.

If you're not expecting this clever style of c...more
In a continuing "series*" of modern epistolary romances, we have added IM conversations to the mix, and journals kept mostly on scrap paper. Again we have a recently jilted protagonist who bumps into an extremely eligible bachelor only in this book, over the course of a fortnight they interact maybe four times for maybe an hour each time. But they still manage to fall madly and deeply in love, overcoming several obstacles (each of them dealing with their families and their work, but not particul...more
Nic
Jul 26, 2010 Nic rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nic by: Arlene Sweet
Shelves: 2010, adult, romance-awww
This book left me in a really good mood. It was a light hearted, fun and entertaining romantic comedy that had me laughing out loud several times.

It is the first book I have read that is written entirely in the form of emails, journal entries, receipts, instant messaging, menus, memos, dispositions and receipts and I was suprised at how well it worked. The story was easy to follow and it didn't lack details despite it's format. This book had a huge cast of characters. Sometimes when there are s...more
Freckles
zboznuju meg cabotovou. kdybych mela byt objektivni, jsou to spis 4*, ale kdyz ja se tak bavila, ze proste nemam chut byt objektivni ;-)
Anne
As a fan of Meg Cabot, I know that her books can be funny at times, but I was surprised at the number of times I actually laughed out loud while reading this book.

Although this is definitely a stand-alone book, I did appreciate the return of several characters from Boy Next Door in minor roles as well as the chance to see just how vile Amy Johnson (unlike most of the HR professionals I know) really is.

I also appreciated the diary entries (some of which were very creatively written between the li...more
Arlene
Boy Meets Girl is the first book I've read by Meg Cabot, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Typically, books written in the form of letters between characters do not appeal to me, but this book was cleverly designed and I couldn't help but fall into the storyline and be captivated from the get go. It is a compilation of emails, journal entries, voice mail messages, transaction receipts, deposition transcripts, memos and corporate communications between over a dozen characters. You would think with th...more
Vidumini Pamuditha
*4.5* stars

Boy Meets Girl is yet another amazing book written by Meg Cabot. I really haven't read a book that is written in the form of e-mails,IMs, Voice Messages and Notices before except for Love Letters to the Dead which I haven't still finished yet. So, I think this my first ever finished book of that type. It really grabbed my attention from the first page itself. I loved this book so much. Really enjoyed it!!! Way to go Meg Cabot!
Carla
In whichever angle, this is definitely not The Book for guys. xD

It is, however, the perfect mirror for women. Everything about this book is just silly girlish. I swear if it isn't about anything a woman undergoes through then I'm not sure I'm a woman myself. By that, I mean EXes, soon-to-be-boyfriends, fiancees, and girl bestfriends combined with life and conflict rolled into a single book of pure and non-stop gossip. Top that.

As a matter of fact, I unexpectedly liked it.

Meg Cabot - the very s...more
MJ
Jan 28, 2008 MJ rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to MJ by: The complete Idiots guide to the Ultimate reading list
You might know the name Meg Cabot from the Princess Diaries series but this book is nothing like Princess Diaries. It centers around Kate who is working as an HR rrep for a New York Newspaper called The Journal. She has a horrible boss and works with her best friend Jen. Her boss Amy asks her to fire the most popular person at the Newspaper Ida (the desserts cart lady). Ida refuses to serves desserts to people she thinks doesnot deserve them (mainly Amy's boyfriend Stuart who is also cheif legal...more
kari
This is my very favorite Meg Cabot book.
I like the style in which this story is told, through emails, phone messages, texts, journal entries, notes of menus and meeting agendas. It is an interesting and quick reading format that I think really works well. I'm surprised at all of the detail Cabot manages to include while writing in this fashion.
Kate is a character I liked from the first page, she is a kind-hearted and sympathetic person who's put in the very awkward position of having to fire a...more
Jenna Burks
SPOILER ALERT
Genre- Realistic Fiction
To me this book's theme is love. The book is about a girl Kate and she works for this newspaper place, whatever they are called. Ida Lopez just got fired for not letting Stuart Hertzog have a piece of her homemade delicious goodness. Kate has been with her boyfriend Dale for ten years, then he starts his own band and he breaks up with Kate. Well, Kate breaks up with him. In the midst of all of this Stuart Hertzog is newly engaged to Amy Jenkins. Soon after Ka...more
Ian
This book has been my favorite book I've read all year. It was funnier than the books that try to be funny and has more of a story rather than jumping around to different characters all the time. The character in the book was Kate Makenzie and she was looking for a boyfriend because she broke up with her ex a couple months before. She is trying to find a house to live in so she doesn't have to live in her friends apartment. She also got fired from her job because of a "hot" lawyer.
Later in the...more
Icha
Boy Meets Girl
Meg Cabot, 2004
Avon Books, Harper Collins Publishere.Inc.
****************************
Kathleen “Kate” Mackenzie is a Personel Representative Human Resources The New York Journal. One day, Amy Jenkins, The Director, asked her to fire Ida Lopez from Craft Food Services The New York Journal, just because she did not give a pie to Mr Stuart Hertzog.
Amy Jenkins is very angry because Mr Hertzog is actually her “fiancee” and she claims that Ida Lopez should take the responsibility of this...more
Rachel
OH MY GOSH!! I'm still hyperventilating from laughing so hard. Seriously, I was reading this at school and probably looked like an idiot, cackling into my "math notes". The whole book is written in emails, IM's, and other correspondences. I loved it. I've only read one other book written like that, but that was a while ago, so this was quite refreshing. Kate was adorable, the little spaz. And Mitch... I think I love him. Actually, I know I do! The book was cute, funny, and dealt with the issues...more
This is a really fun use of the epistolary format. This is an "older" book (2004) from the heyday of chick lit and it was a nice reminder that there was some good stuff happening in that genre before it died. The first third reminded me of Attachments (a more recent book) in a lot of ways, so I think this would be a good pick for fans of that book.
Lilly G
I know when I pick up a Meg Cabot book that I'm going to laugh and that reading it will be a breeze. I like that kind of guarantee, especially in a summer read.

This book was no exception to the Meg Cabot Rule. I enjoyed it, and while it may not be a modern classic, it's some funny writing and an unusual way of telling a story (through IMs/emails/voice mails) that amounts to smart, good writing.

FUN FACT: Halfway through, I made my brother pose for a picture sipping a drink and reading this. I was...more
Aяуα  Sтαяк
Cute, sorta bitter sweet ending...fast read, loaded with drama, but not your petty 'he said, she said' drama that I normally go such distances to avoid.
It was sort of cliché, the whole way that Kate and Mitchel met, and fell in love, but hey...Cabot made it a bit more realistic than SOME romance books, and as a bonus, it wasn't paranormal ick-mance, so I was ok with it, actually.

THE CHARACTERS

Kate Mackenzie
All her characters are sort of sounding the same. Innocent, gets wrapped up in stuff that...more
Cassidy Johnson
The writing isn't of the best quality. I know Cabot was trying to attract a younger crowd to the young adult/romance books. Almost on every page there is an "I mean..." in a sentence. Every time the main protagonist wants to elaborate on a subject, she writes "I mean..." This gets old; I mean really, Miss Cabot, you couldn't just clarify whom you're talking about or what you were referring to in the first sentence the "I mean," was referring to? Oh, well; that can't be fixed now.

I'm really confl...more
Alyssa
I've never enjoyed chick lit so much as Boy Meets Girl. This had me really laughing out loud! This is actually the first Meg Cabot book I've ever read, and will be one of the many now.

Mitch is the one who really kept me laughing with his snappy retorts to Stuie! I've read their dialogues over and over again. Haha.

The characters felt so real I can almost see them at my workplace. The book is presented through their emails and IMs. It felt like going through the emails of someone I know in real...more
Cait
This is the second book in Meg Cabot's "Boy" series and much like the first, this book doesn't feature normal prose style. Instead, it's a collection of emails, deposition transcripts, voicemails, and diary entries involving the main character's journey as an HR associate at a newspaper whose boss is less than fantastic. After following her boss Amy's orders to fire the pastry woman in the dining room for refusing to serve the paper's legal counsel, Kate Mackenzie becomes embroiled in an intra-o...more
Hira
I liked this book more than I would have had I read it some other time. It was perfect for me right now because I was in the mood of a quick, light read. Boy Meets Girl was exactly that and I enjoyed it a lot.

Story: The story is very very realistic. Not the case part, I don't know how that works in America. But the characters and how they acted. The work place and the people there. That part was very true. Yes, some things were exaggerated a bit. But it was fun to read. Of course the ending was...more
Gigi
I read this book in 2007, on a 3 week RV trip with my husband and 4 kids (ranging from 9 down to 1 1/2). I laughed outloud so many times I scared the children. I am sure I was sleep deprived. But I read it again in 2010 and thoroughly enjoyed it. I love the characters, especially the dialogue between the siblings. 2014 rolls around and I am sick in bed. Was it quite as entertaining as the first 2 times? Yes and no. No, because I was less interested in some parts of the story. I found myself skim...more
♥Robin ♥
I really enjoyed this book. It was funny and I really like books that are written in this format...it was a combination of emails,instant messages,letters etc etc. Really good book and I probably would recommend it. A very quick and easy read :)
Lia Bree
Meg Cabot znova nesklamala! :D :)
Kniha, rovnako ako aj "Môj sused je božský", je písaná v mailoch, správach, popísaných jedálnych lístkoch atď. Veľakrát som sa nevedela prestať smiať, je to skvelá oddychovka a Meg je úžasná autorka! =)
Marisa
Utterly Amazing? I think YES! Meg Cabot has done it again. She has made me fall in love with another story. I don't know how she does it but I'm glad that she does. Boy Meets Girl was fantastic and I'm sad that I finished it. :)
Kerry Arruda
Eliza
Funny & entertaining! Love the format of the book & I wasn't able to put it down! The ending got a tad too draggy but overall kudos to Cabot for tickling my funny bone multiple times in a book.
Kris
3 STARS

When you work for a T.O.D. (short for Tyrannical Office Despot... also known as Amy Jenkins, Director of the Human Resources Division at the New York Journal, New York City's leading photo-newspaper), and your musician boyfriend of ten years has just announced that he can't commit to a long term relationship because he has to take it "one day at a time", and your best girlfriend is on fertility drugs because she and her husband can't seem to get pregnant, and your mother is driving cross...more
Charity
I loved this book and could not put it down. Cabot has a great style that is so fun you don't ever want to stop reading. I can't wait to read more by her.
Goodreads Librari...: Run together description in "Boy Meets Girl" 2 19 Jul 16, 2013 05:30PM
Meg Cabot Fan Club: Boy Meets Girl 1 3 Feb 04, 2012 05:21PM
YA and Teen books!: Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot 1 1 Jan 21, 2012 06:48AM
  • Educating Caroline
  • Society Girls
  • A Girl's Best Friend
  • Girls Night Out (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • I Did (But I Wouldn't Now) (Crandell Sisters, #2)
  • As Seen on TV
  • Under the Rose (Secret Society Girl, #2)
  • The Ex Files
  • The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service
  • Why Girls Are Weird
  • The Learning Curve
  • Learning Curves
  • Bachelorette #1
  • Your Big Break

Meg Cabot was born on February 1, 1967, during the Chinese astrological year of the Fire Horse, a notoriously unlucky sign. Fortunately she grew up in Bloomington, Indiana, where few people were aware of the stigma of being a fire horse -- at least until Meg became a teenager, when she flun...more
More about Meg Cabot...
The Princess Diaries (The Princess Diaries, #1) Size 12 Is Not Fat (Heather Wells, #1) All-American Girl (All-American Girl, #1) Shadowland (The Mediator, #1) Queen of Babble (Queen of Babble, #1)

“So Uncle Stuart is marrying that lady? Mom says she's going to be our aunt Amy. She's okay except she would't try any peanut butter M&M chocolate chip fudge cookies. They were good- you ate five, remember? But she said she was on a special diet, and couldn't eat something called carbs. We told her we didn't put any carbs in our cookies, just M&Ms, but she said M&Ms were carbs.
Uncle Mitch, what's carbs?
email to Uncle Mitch from Haily and Brittany”
45 likes
“What is the sound of one hand clapping? What is the weight of a single grain of sand? The answer is equal to my interest in the message you are about to leave so make it short. -- Mitch Hertzog's voice mail message.” 18 likes