Start by marking “Oil 101” as Want to Read:
Oil 101

Oil 101

OIL 101 is a straightforward guide to oil and an essential read for anyone coming to grips with where oil prices, the economy and society are headed.In OIL 101, Downey provides the facts one needs to understand oil, from its history and chemistry, to refining, finished products, storage, transportation, alternatives, and how prices are determined every day in global wholes ...more
Published January 27th 2009 by Wooden Table Press LLC (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Oil 101, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oil 101

Guy
Oct 17, 2010 Guy rated it liked it
Very useful comprehensive overview of oil and the oil industry written in a straight-forward no-nonsense style. The list of its chapters will give you a good feel for it (followed by my rating for each, 1-5 with 1 being weak, 3 adequate, and 5 excellent):

o A brief history of oil - 3
o A crude oil assay - 5
o Components of oil liquids - 4
o Chemistry of oil - 2 (since when has C been able to have 5 bonds... and H, 2?)
o Industry overview - 4
o Exploration and production - 5
o Refining - 5
o Standards -
Brandon Henke
Nov 24, 2015 Brandon Henke rated it liked it
A comprehensive, albeit brief overview of the oil & gas industry. It deals with a wide range of topics and covers the full life cycle of various hydrocarbons. These include but are not limited to: exploration, drilling & completion, production, reserves reporting, transportation, refining, finished products, petrochemicals, environmental regulation, and oil market futures/swaps/options trading. It's very obvious where the author's expertise lies, as the sections on oil markets and finish ...more
Ethan
Sep 12, 2015 Ethan rated it liked it
This is a great book for someone new to the oil industry looking for an into to each piece of the industry from the chemistry of oil on through derivatives trading. Overall I felt he did a good job of explaining each piece without being too technical, while giving you the terms you need to know to understand the business.

However, it was not edited very well, there were lots of little errors that distracted me from the content. For example, in the chemistry section there was a diagram of a oil mo
Andy
Oct 13, 2014 Andy rated it really liked it
This is somewhere between a textbook and an encyclopedia entry. If that does not sound appealing to you, don't read this, because its quality in that respect is really 100% of what it has going for it. If it does, you'll find this to be a great overview about an industry that has a very large influence on our day to day lives. I was referred to this book by a Quora user (Ryan Carlyle) who works in the oil industry and often has many interesting insights to share about it.

Start-to-finish, method
Spencer Westfall
Oct 10, 2012 Spencer Westfall rated it it was amazing
This book, along with Oil: A Beginner’s Guide by Vaclav Smil, are great reads for the uneducated & educated. It’s not too technical, & covers all aspects of the up-stream, mid-stream, & down-stream portions of the industry (geological, exploration, geophysical, chemical structure of oil, engineering, various extraction methods, production, refining, retail, trading oil futures, environmental impacts, pricing methods, etc.); along with the worldwide history of it, & worldwide poli ...more
Steven
Jun 23, 2016 Steven rated it liked it
Although I bought this book and began it at a time when I never imagined teaching a college course (in other words—you don’t have to be a professor to enjoy it), I later found it useful as a survey text for a course I taught entitled INTRODUCTION TO THE OIL AND GAS INDUSTRY. This is a well-researched and reliable treatise, the kind of solid work scholars appreciate. That being said, I found errors here and there and wondered whether the publisher would have benefited from a larger editing team. ...more
Erin Burba
Feb 26, 2013 Erin Burba rated it really liked it
Shelves: energy
Excellent intro book. Hope Mr. Downey chooses to update it now thtat the shale plays have become big.
Stephen
Mar 01, 2010 Stephen rated it it was amazing
I have been looking for a book that covers how the oil industry works for a while now. I've found plenty of books to focus on up-stream or down-stream, the history, or politics. I've found even more that focus on peak oil and various views of environmental effects. This is the first book that covers the industry in the way I wanted to learn about it. I've finished it feeling truly enlightened. We depend on oil so much in our lives that I am quite surprised that it took me this long to educate my ...more
Eddie Schodowski
May 30, 2016 Eddie Schodowski rated it it was amazing
Cannot recommend this book enough to people. Check out Morgan Downey's interview with The Investor's Podcast to gain insight into what's happened with the recent oil crash. Very interesting how the price of crude is affected in a large part due to Saudi Arabia's reaction to US on-shore drilling.
Bryan
Mar 06, 2012 Bryan rated it really liked it
This is a good overview of Oil. Not so many good stories like Daniel Yergin's books (The Prize & The Quest: Energy, Security, and the Remaking of the Modern World), but a good explanation of the oil business, how production works, how prices work, what makes up a barrel of oil. I wouldn't recommend this as leisurely reading, but this book will remain on my shelf as a valuable reference.
Maradox
Apr 12, 2014 Maradox rated it it was amazing
This book is really ace. It gives the lay reader all the information they need about the oil industry. A great read for anyone who is interested in the energy crisis or simply investing in energy.
Uroš Jurglič
Aug 30, 2015 Uroš Jurglič rated it really liked it
Great book. Super comprehensive overview of oil industry.

This book completely avoids making any judgements on oil business. It only provides objective information on all or many aspects of it: from chemistry of hydrocarbons, rocks and geology, history of oil business, up to detailed description of finished petroleum products, futures markets, etc... It also dissects oil industry by sectors in a very thorough manner.

Probably something everyone should read in order to better comprehend the massive
Luaba
May 17, 2014 Luaba rated it it was amazing
Shelves: entrepreneur
A great introduction and explanation of the oil industry. This book really help me understand my new professional environment.
Lars
Aug 21, 2015 Lars rated it really liked it
Great reference. Quick, terse prose with no bullshit. Probably most useful for traders. Needs an update, badly.
Mark Karnowski
Jan 12, 2015 Mark Karnowski rated it really liked it
I bought it to improve my understanding of all things petroleum, and it is helping. Encyclopedic reading.
Julia
Nov 08, 2015 Julia rated it really liked it
Everything you need to know about the oil trade in concise , pragmatic form
Mahesh
Feb 17, 2016 Mahesh rated it really liked it
Must read book for those who want to know about oil industry basics
Matthew
Jun 01, 2014 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Great overview of the Oil & Gas industry.
Charles Greer
Apr 23, 2013 Charles Greer rated it really liked it
This book is not an overwhelmingly great read qua read, but while reading it, I felt as though my understanding of the world was upended with almost every page. It fills your head with great perspective and will give you things to think about for years to come. I started reading this book as an ignorant gasoline user, and ended it as a not-quite-as-ignorant enthusiast for looking at the relationships between oil products, consumption patterns, prices, and international politics.
Jak
Mar 18, 2013 Jak rated it it was amazing
Having just landed a sales role selling to Oil Traders I needed a book that would quickly bring me up to speed with oil markets and oil products. Oil 101 did that and then some! There's plenty in there that (currently) is over my head but I know where tofind it when I'm asked a question about it by a client.

So, if anyone needs to know the difference between your brent and youR bitumen then ehis is the book for you.
John
Sep 05, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
The overview of the oil industry in its many facets that you are likely to find. Not too technical, written for the educated layman, Oil 101 lays it all out in simple English. It goes into enough detail on a range of topics to serve as a valuable reference. Every oil journalist should read this cover to cover before they presume to write about energy.
Curt Carroll
Jun 05, 2014 Curt Carroll rated it really liked it
full coverage of this very complex industry.....great reference (yes, in addition to google) to have.
Jonathan
Jul 03, 2011 Jonathan rated it really liked it
A little dry, but extremely informative. Certainly delivered everything I wanted to know about the oil industry as a whole.
Xuewei
Feb 03, 2015 Xuewei rated it it was amazing
takes me forever to finish this one. But very helpful in terms of the framework and the fundamentals
Muhammad al-Khwarizmi
Apr 01, 2013 Muhammad al-Khwarizmi rated it really liked it
Shelves: fossil-fuels
Pretty nice, minus some obvious typos. Would recommend to anyone interested in the oil and gas industry.
Marco Busi
Sep 03, 2013 Marco Busi rated it it was amazing
This is an interesting read for anybody wanting to better understand the various elements of O&G
Tarik
Feb 07, 2015 Tarik rated it it was amazing
The first reference book ANYONE interested in the oil and gas industry should read!
Derek Barnes
Jan 28, 2014 Derek Barnes rated it it was amazing
As the title suggests, a thorough primer in oil industry fundamentals.
Tam Dong
Mar 19, 2014 Tam Dong rated it it was amazing
A must-read book for newbie or anyone interested in oil and gas industry.
Ivan Kapersky
Dec 28, 2015 Ivan Kapersky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oil
A must read for anybody interesting how the oil business works.
  • Nontechnical Guide to Petroleum Geology, Exploration, Drilling and Production
  • The Invisible Hands: Hedge Funds Off the Record - Rethinking Real Money
  • Lombard Street: A Description of the Money Market
  • The Alchemy of Finance
  • A Splendid Exchange: How Trade Shaped the World from Prehistory to Today
  • What Works on Wall Street: A Guide to the Best-Performing Investment Strategies of All Time
  • Filthy Lucre: Economics for People Who Hate Capitalism