Start by marking “Cancer Schmancer” as Want to Read:
Cancer Schmancer

Cancer Schmancer

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  747 ratings  ·  65 reviews
With her trademark humour, Fran tells of her indefatigable search for answers and the cancer diagnosis that she ultimately beat. But not before a goldmine of humorous insights were revealed to her about what really matters most in life.
Published November 1st 2005 by Warner Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Cancer Schmancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cancer Schmancer

The Cost of Hope by Amanda   BennettCancer Schmancer by Fran DrescherThe Cancer Survivors Club by Chris GeigerCrazy Sexy Cancer Tips by Kris CarrCancer Vixen by Marisa Acocella Marchetto
Funny Books About Cancer
2nd out of 30 books — 38 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodMagic America by C.E. MedfordLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
148th out of 208 books — 90 voters

More lists with this book...

Very weird how many things I related to in this book. Different cancer but many symptoms still the same. Although I am one to follow the doctors orders and she seemed to argue and challenge a lot. But that is her choice and her beliefs on treatments. I commend her 100% for doing it her way. I know I am already looking forward to my five year "cancer free".
Joni Stonehill
Loved her view on things and appreciate all she went through to find her diagnosis. Lessons learned. A must for cancer patients/survivors.
I don't normally read autobiographies but I loved The Nanny so much I thought I'd give this a try. What an excellent read. Fran Drescher is just as clever and funny in this book as she was in The Nanny. But we also get to see a whole other side of her. The side that not that many others knew about...including moi!
Sep 30, 2007 Christina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: celebrity bio buffs
I'm a sucker for celebrity biographies and autobiographies. This book follows Fran Drescher's battle with uterine cancer. The book is written in a light-heartened style and is both funny and touching.
A very good book about Fran dealing with being misdiagnosed for way too long, to finally being diagnosed with uterine cancer, and through her surgery and recovery. Very honest and inspiring.
I fell a little bad giving someone's cancer memoir only 2 stars, but it just isn't a very well written book. It is written like she is speaking to someone, complete with rhetorical questions and tangents about food. There are also at three instances where she follows a sentence with "Nu?" I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. My best guess is a funny way of saying No? but it doesn't really fit all of the occurrences.

She also name drops like crazy and spends a lot of time on how hard it i
Dimi Doukas
This was probably important for her healing process and hopefully worked for that, but as a book, it's not very good written. There are short and somewhat loose stories, not always relative to the story. Also unfortunately she's also using couple of cheap tricks, like bringing up 'not wearing anything that day' and telling 'how she likes to be naked', which were not relevant for the story at that part of the book and hence sounded very strange to mention. The book was written more like act1, act ...more
Moira Webster-Larranaga
It was good to read about someone else going through this - but I couldn't really relate to her experience, as I'm not a celebrity, and (as she takes pains to remind us) she is. One interesting thing is she had cancer for two years before being diagnosed, to my 3-6 months, and it was still stage one.
Mr: -
Mrs: OK, her comes my outing: I am a big Frannie the Nanny fan! So, this review might be a bit biased, however...: I really liked this book! I read it when I had medical issues as well, and her stories and her witty Jewish humor made things a little more bearable again for me.
I'm not sure if she wrote this by herself, but I think she did. And for a celebrity author, it's well written and not terribly self absorbed.

I just finished this book in January 2014, though I have known that she had cancer and has been an advocate for women's health for years. What struck me as odd is that she describes her years long journey bouncing back and forth between 9 doctors and suddenly gets diagnosed by doctor number 9 and has surgery a week later without getting a second opinion. Th
Within a day I read this whole book! It is easy written and you keep longing for more. When the book was over the first thought I had was "That cannot be the end! I want to know what happens next!"
The real "Nanny" well written Fran had her struggles. If you like her on TV, you will love her in print. As a cancer survivor this book was inspirational. Very enjoyable.
Read this years befor ei was diagnoised. I know have a very different appreciation for this book and Fran!
I finished this book in between the hours of 10am and 11pm - nuff said! It was excellent!
greatttt book!
Boys and Girls, let this be a lesson: write your book review right after you read the book! I let some time pass, and now I'm trying to remember what I want to say about this book. *sigh*

OK -- here's what I do know. That this is a GREAT book! Who would have thought I'd like something "the Nanny" wrote this much? But I did. It's a book that should be required reading for all women. For a woman who isn't sure exactly what is going on with her body, or who thinks something is wrong but the doctor(s
Apr 18, 2011 Merredith rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women, cancer patients & friends
This is a memoir written by Fran Drescher, the nanny. It seems she had another memoir for the preceding years, but I have not found that one. This one begins right as her marriage and her show are ending, and she begins experiencing lots of bad symptoms. she takes us through two years of being sick before discovering that she had cancer, and then takes us through her surgery and recovery. i was surprised that since she is a celebrity, she got such bad and wrong medical care, but it goes to show ...more
Sometimes you need a little comic relief. Even if -or especially when?- the subject is ovarian cancer.

Fran Drescher did not disappoint with Cancer Schmancer. She told her own story, in her own way. There were plenty of interjections of the Nu? and Oy! variety. :o)

Although the story was definitely not a comedy, and prompted many tears, there were also audible laughs in just the right quantity. Fran even made the lowest of low points so unexpectedly funny that I have to admire her. For example: Re
I noticed that Cancer Schmancer was an improvement from Enter Whining, Drescher's first memoir, published only a few years before. (Also, this may be a tall demand, but please, can I have a third memoir? What happened with John? Helloooo?) Anyway, the key factor of the improvement is simply that Cancer Schmancer feels more honest. As a result, it's darker, though not at the expense of losing any of Fran's humorous colloquial banter throughout the book. (I can understand how this would annoy some ...more
Lorenzio Phillibuster Fireworks
The Nanny is one of my favourite shows and while looking on the internet for a possible release date of the rest of the series on DVD, I stumbled upon some very interesting things about Fran Drescher.

I had heard about this book a few years ago when I was working in a bookstore, but never really given it much thought. But upon learning on the internet that Fran had married her high school sweet heart, been robbed and raped in the same night, told her pride and joy as well as her creation (The
I enjoyed this book. It's not very long, but Fran Drescher packs in information about women's health and her personal experience that may help women feel less embarrassed about getting screened for potential problems and more comfortable with taking care of themselves.
She brings the humor we all know her for and raw emotion of a turbulent experience, as well as the loss of her beloved dog, Chester, to the story as well, tying in the medical experience with the human journey.

An interesting sequel to "Enter Whining" but on a totally different subject. Fran is still entertaining, down-to-earth and funny but she tackles topics that are a lot less joyful. However, this book is full of great quotes of Fran, and it's definitely a must-have if you like this celebrity. She is a beautiful human being and this is a beautiful and honest autobiography.
Patricia Pollock

Good book. Holds your interest. Informative for women's health issues. Tells it frankly but also Fran Drescher's normally funny way of saying things. Love her. Recently took my three daughters to NY to see Cinderella solely to see Fran.
Carol Covin
Our beloved Fran Drescher, of Nanny fame, says that, despite her inclination to be tough and stand on her own, in her uterine cancer journey she found that she could and needed to lean on her friends for support.

She recommends doing your own research so you'll know what to expect. She found out that an appendectomy, for instance, is common in staging her kind of cancer, but no one told her they were going to do it until she woke up from surgery.

She also found out that an estrogen patch was comm
Though I prefer fiction and stay away from non-fiction specially of the autobiographical type; I loved reading this book. Not at all boring and also it gave a nice perspective. Very few people understand a thing until they go through it. This made me understand without going through it.
Daniel Oldfield
it's a brilliant book, it has some funny elements in it, which felt odd being a memoir about cancer. It felt like fran was talking to you personally I felt that this book was very engaging. she uses some yiddish words like Nu which means so. I definitely think this is a book for any fran drescher fan to read.
Roxanne Cullen
Inspirational and important message for all woman told with humor. Fran has sure had her share of serious situations which has made her strong and someone to admire. She sends a message to woman to be assertive when it comes to your health. I liked this book a lot.
Emily Iliani
Well she is a star even if she is not all diva-ish. There are moments when the 'struggles' she narrated are just overthinking on her part. It's neither informative nor entertaining but appreciated the light touch she put in the autobiography.
Fran tells it like it is. She doesn't hold back. She tells you how she found herself to be diagnosed with uterine cancer. She describes her symptoms and how hard it was to get a correct diagnosis and treatment. She went to many different doctors to find out what was wrong with her but they all proclaimed her to be normal, just fine. But she wasn't fine, no sir. She had cancer. She also talks about how she recovered after her surgery and how having cancer affected her and her loved ones. She talk ...more
David Goad

Wonderfully entertaining read with style and delivery of a classic Fran Drescher production. An uplifting, funny, informative, delightful and endearing book.
  • My One-Night Stand With Cancer: A Memoir
  • My First Five Husbands..And the Ones Who Got Away
  • Sharon Osbourne Survivor: My Story: The Next Chapter
  • Lopsided: How Having Breast Cancer Can Be Really Distracting
  • The Truth Is . . .: My Life in Love and Music
  • Bravemouth: Living With Billy Connolly
  • Here We Go Again: My Life In Television
  • Cybill Disobedience: How I Survived Beauty Pageants, Elvis, Sex, Bruce Willis, Lies, Marriage, Motherhood, Hollywood, and the Irrepressible Urge to Say What I Think
  • The Cat Who Covered the World: The Adventures Of Henrietta And Her Foreign Correspondent
  • Cancer on Five Dollars a Day* (*chemo not included): How Humor Got Me Through the Toughest Journey of My Life
  • My Life So Far
  • Roseanne: My Life as a Woman
  • Why I Wore Lipstick: To My Mastectomy
  • You Have No Idea: A Famous Daughter, Her No-nonsense Mother, and How They Survived Pageants, Holly wood, Love, Loss (and Each Other)
  • Dear Exile: The True Story of Two Friends Separated (for a Year) by an Ocean
  • Cancer Is a Bitch: Or, I'd Rather Be Having a Midlife Crisis
  • A Lotus Grows in the Mud
  • One More Time
Francine Joy Drescher is an American film and television actress and comedian. She is famous for her nasal voice, laugh, and Queens accent.

Fran's Facebook page:
More about Fran Drescher...

“It’s a blessing when the person you love shows the kind of instincts you’d hoped they’d have when push comes to shove. Illness is the great equalizer. It doesn’t matter who you are, rich or poor, young or old, fat or thin, sick is sick. And if you’re blessed, those around you will rise to the occasion in your hour of need.” 2 likes