Start by marking “Crimes Against Humanity” as Want to Read:
Crimes Against Humanity

Crimes Against Humanity

Geoffrey Robertson's 'Crimes Against Humanity' is a superb and high influential account of the history of the human rights movement up to the present day.
From the French Revolution and the Nuremberg trials to 9/11 and the invasion of Iraq, Robertson traces the developing concern of human rights and shows how far we still have to go. His inspiring narrative is both a master
Published 2008 by Penguin Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Crimes Against Humanity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crimes Against Humanity

Rowan
Apr 07, 2013 Rowan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great way to be introduced to human rights and international law and undoubtedly also would be an engrossing read for people already familiar with the subject. In explaining the issues related to human rights law, Robertson covers a lot of ground regarding recent conflicts and geopolitical issues in general and almost everybody will be a better informed citizen after finishing this book. The book is an interesting format as it is an evolving piece and its obvious that newer events ...more
Rebecca
Jul 18, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Shelves: academia, books-i-own
Finishing this book was no mean accomplishment. It was one step away from being a text book except that sarcastic asides and snide comments from the author (often about diplomats) kept it from being wholly impersonal. Very comprehensive treatment of the history, current status and possible future of human rights and international law. However Robertson does have a point to push and often will give diplomats stinging treatment because they are among the first to attempt to bypass international la ...more
Khalil James
What attracted me to this book was an interest in international relations. I thought, "imagine the complexity of a justice system that declares inalienable rights for everyone and upholds criminal accountability, across cultures and other tricky fault lines." The history of such a system would be some story to tell, and this brick of a book does just that; although not always in an approachable fashion. Crimes against humanity, a criminal charge under international criminal law, may be one of th ...more
Linda
Mar 04, 2009 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a thorough review of the history of crimes against humanity, what the international communkity has or has not done about them, and what international laws should be developed to take care of the problems. it is suprisingly easy to read considering the subject matter. The author's style is informative and thorough but not over the top. having said that, I must admit that because it is a very long book, about half way through i had had enough and I started skimming adn then thoroghly ...more
May
terrific chapters on laws of war and the pinochet precedent, but the book does not pause to explain much else. what happened when nicaragua brought america before the ICJ? when CIA overthrew a democratically elected left-wing government of allende in chile? or why ernest medina was acquitted over crimes in my lai? why did general macartur exempt occupied japan from trial? why did america airlift baby doc to his retirement in south of france?

the book also offers no good answers to the cultural re
Josh
Feb 20, 2012 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not an easy read (it is very long and full of horrors), but anyone who claims to know something about human rights ought to have read this book. It really does a brilliant job at summarising the history of the human rights movement from the legal perspective. Might be good to read alongside The Better Angels of Our Nature, which covers similar subject matter from the psychological perspective.
David
Feb 28, 2009 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I assign this when I teach Human Rights Law and Politics. A good, thorough but fairly atheoretical telling of the tale of how international law has advanced and confronted the worst kinds of human rights violations. Robertson writes in a tone of deep moral outrage but also with a great deal of snark and dry humor (which keeps undergraduates engaged, e ven as when it annoys them...)
Sa-Human rights!
I'm currently reading this book, as I borrowed it from the school library. I know it's really crazy to read such a book, but I just want to know more about human rights law and how it works to study law at university, public law. It may be overdue, so I'll ask my dad for it to order it from Amazon, but this book is such a good read if you want to become a lawyer.
Ann Tonks
Dense, legalist exploration of the histroy of the human rights movement including discussion of conflicts in Kosovo, Rwanda, Iraq, Afganistan; the impact of 9/11; the role of the United Nations. Lots of detail about wars in the last 30 years.
Tammam Aloudat
Read this book when I was on a work trip in East Africa. Seeing the results of war and crimes against humanity in the region while reading it gave the information another dimension. Well written and very informative.
Ian
Aug 09, 2012 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summary and history of human rights law and related institutions. Very informative, dryly written, but with elements of humour and personal insight. Overall, paints a sorry story of our world.
Beck
Jul 06, 2012 Beck rated it it was amazing
Shelves: men
its been a long time coming, but i've finally got through it. learnt a lot certainly. not sure whether the mood i'm left with is optimistic or pessimistic
Patrick Lum
Oct 20, 2012 Patrick Lum rated it liked it
One hell of a primer about International Law. Comprehensive, but even Robertson's occasional knowing snark and deeply cynical outlook can't stop it being a real challenge to get through.
Shaun Major
Jun 07, 2014 Shaun Major rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Takes a little while to get going, but this us an extraordinary tale of how our world has evolved in the past 70 years!
Valerie
Valerie rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2007
Martin Hannon
Martin Hannon rated it it was ok
Feb 17, 2015
Archie Reads
Archie Reads rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Chloe
Chloe rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2012
Malcolmcameron
Malcolmcameron rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2013
Orlaith
Orlaith rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2008
Stephen Morel
Stephen Morel rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2012
Richard Clements
Richard Clements rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Derek
Derek rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Derek
Derek rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2013
Bijal
Bijal rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2014
Nadine Blair
Nadine Blair rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2007
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2009
Jimmy Holman
Jimmy Holman rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2009
Vamsi Viraj
Vamsi Viraj rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • We Did Nothing: Why The Truth Doesn't Always Come Out When The UN Goes In
  • Heroes
  • Do No Harm: How Aid Can Support Peace - or War
  • Stop At Nothing: The Life and Adventures of Malcolm Turnbull (Quarterly Essay #34)
  • Regulating Aversion: Tolerance in the Age of Identity and Empire
  • Eve Was Framed: Women and British Justice
  • Women of Letters: Reviving The Lost Art of Correspondence
  • Equal Justice: My Journey as a Woman, a Soldier and a Muslim
  • Frontiers of Justice: Disability, Nationality, Species Membership
Geoffrey Ronald Robertson QC (born 30 September 1946) is a human rights barrister, academic, author and broadcaster. He holds dual Australian and British citizenship.

Robertson is a founder and joint head of Doughty Street Chambers. He serves as a Master of the Bench at the Middle Temple, a recorder, and visiting professor at Queen Mary, University of London.
More about Geoffrey Robertson...