Start by marking “Silksinger (Dreamdark, #2)” as Want to Read:
Silksinger (Dreamdark, #2)

Silksinger (Faeries of Dreamdark #2)

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  1,643 Ratings  ·  229 Reviews
One faerie, the last of her clan, must fight to complete her sacred duty

Whisper Silksinger is the last of the secret guardians of the Azazel, one of the powerful Djinn who dreamed the world into being. Relentlessly pursued by bloodthirsty devils, she flees to the city of Nazneen to restore the Azazel to his temple. At the same time, Hirik Mothmage is also on a secret quest
Published September 17th 2009 by Putnam Juvenile (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Silksinger, please sign up.

Terry Searles i tweeted the author last year and there is only a few hard copies around...no e book, but she did say that good things would be happening in the…morei tweeted the author last year and there is only a few hard copies around...no e book, but she did say that good things would be happening in the future with it....so fingers crossed!(less)

Betsy
Feb 05, 2010 Betsy rated it it was amazing
There was a boy. He came into my library branch. Couldn't have been more than ten years of age. A good kid. He knew to come up to the reference desk to ask his question, and he wasn't shy about it either. "I want books on fairies." Wow. Without hesitation I virtually dragged the kid over to the middle grade reader section, then got some clarification. "Fairies?" "Fairies." Right then. I looked about. Clearly this was a Spiderwick boy. We get them sometimes. Once Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black m ...more
Arielle Walker
Jan 17, 2016 Arielle Walker rated it really liked it
So... little bit of a cliffhanger there. That's ok. There'll be a third book one day - right? I mean, this was published five years ago, but Laini Taylor's been busy with the fantastic Smoke and Bone series... I'm actually glad I didn't read this series when it first came out, as much as I would have loved it then - even longer to wait!
Alicia
I've been searching for a copy of this out-of-print book at a reasonable price for months. I finally have it in possession! My precious!
Chachic
Nov 22, 2011 Chachic rated it really liked it
Originally posted here.

Silksinger is the second book in the Dreamdark series by Laini Taylor and is the sequel to Blackbringer. Laini Taylor has become an auto-buy author for me because I fell in love with her YA books: Daughter of Smoke and Bone and Lips Touch . I found Blackbringer a little harder to get into that her other books but ended up enjoying it quite a bit once I got used to the writing and the worldbuilding. I picked up Silksinger right after reading the first book because I want
Rachel
Aug 02, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I'm saying the same thing on every Laini Taylor book review, but it holds: she is one of the most imaginative, original, talented storytellers I think I've ever read. I'm always blown away by how creative and detail-oriented and unique her books are. This was great!
Maureen E
by Laini Taylor

In this sequel to Blackbringer, Taylor returns to the story of Magpie and Talon, while also weaving in the stories of several new characters.

Yay! I loved this book. Granted, I wasn’t quite as blown away as I was by Blackbringer, but I think this was simply because the world was familiar instead of being completely new. I was happy that we also got significant amounts of Mags and the other characters from the first book. I’ve noticed a slight tendency for sequels to move to complet
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Sep 13, 2013 Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites, review

Whisper Silksinger is the last of her clan and it is up to her to restore the powerful Djinn Azazel while being chased by devils. Meanwhile Hirik is on a quest to find Azazel to restore his clan’s honour, and also Magpie is searching for Whisper to protect her from a secret enemy. This book is just as good as the first with the introduction of new characters along with characters which I grew to love in the first bo
Angela Oliver
Another exquisite read from an author who has become one of my favourites. Once again, Laini Taylor takes us into the beautifully detailed world of the fairies, with her usual cast of quirky characters and a plot filled with enough excitement and surprises to keep us turning the pages. My only complaint about this book is that the ending indicates that there should be more to this series, but currently there are only the two - please tell me you're going to write more, Laini!
Sara
Jul 09, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fairies
Silksinger is the second of the Fairies of Dreamdark books, a planned multi-book series that has unfortunately been put on hold by the publisher, according to the author's website. I read it after reading the first Fairies of Dreamdark book, Blackbringer, and the two books are complete stories in and of themselves, but you can tell that they are intended to be part of a larger story.

So, the story. In Silksinger, a young fairy with an unusual gift (thought to be gone from the world) is given a b
C.C. Thomas
May 07, 2015 C.C. Thomas rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
One is a lonely number. One=the number of people who have ever heard of this book series when I bring it up and that number is me. What a travesty! I shall have to carry the total fandom on my not-so-broad shoulders, then.

Truly, Laini Taylor is one of my absolute favorite writers of fantasy, for any age. She can take a story and weave magic into those tired old words like nobody's business-making scenes dance and jump on the page, making flat characters come alive in such a way that it's crazy t
Tapestrymlp
Blackbringer was one of my favorite YA fantasy books of all time so I was a bit anxious to get my hands on it's follow-up, Silksinger. I was also anxious to see if Taylor could spin her magic again and drag me into the story so deeply I didn't want to get back out. She did indeed.

This was a wonderful follow-up book that introduces new characters while still weaving in the old ones. This time the main story follows Whisper Silksinger, the last of the Silksinger clan and the guardian of one of th
Mephistia
Mar 26, 2010 Mephistia rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I can't get over this woman's writing. It's absolutely, stunningly magical. Every time I read another book of hers, I start it thinking, "It's really just a kid's book, and I just happened to be in the right mood last time . . . it's not going to draw me in the same way this time."

And every time, I find myself completely lost in her world and words. I surface a few hours later, when I've read it to the last page, no pausing. And that's a rare for thing for me, anymore. I'm an adult, I don't norm
Patricia J. O'Brien
Apr 24, 2011 Patricia J. O'Brien rated it really liked it
Laini Taylor is a magical writer. (I think she found a portal to Faerie) Her fairies of Dreamdark (first in Blackbringer and then in Silksinger) are tiny things that pack a wallop in a world where dragons are gone, clans are dying out and Djinn have retreated to their elemental form.
The stories are filled with great names like Magpie Windwitch and Whisper Silksinger and Talon Rathersting. The names and distinct characteristics of the beings in these tales are just one of the wonders of Ms Taylor
Audra
Apr 27, 2014 Audra rated it it was amazing
This one. If you only read one of Laini Taylor's books, pick this one. It's the second in a series but it could work. Some things will seem like crazy coincidences, but hey, they really are. They'll just seem a little less mind-blowing if you read the first book.

Since more people seem to have read the Daughter of Smoke and Bone books, I will say this world, or maybe the perspective, is not as beautiful as that one. Still Silksinger comes alive in a way that makes you forget you're reading. Also
Luann
Dec 12, 2009 Luann rated it it was amazing
I SO enjoyed being back in the world of Dreamdark! This second book in the series is even better than the first, which I wouldn't have thought possible! I absolutely loved all of the new characters. They fleshed out the story and interacted perfectly with favorites from Dreamdark: Blackbringer. I would have loved to have a bit more of Poppy Manygreen, but the part she does play in this story is PERFECT. If I didn't have a huge stack of books waiting for me, I would love to start this one all ove ...more
Elisabeth
Feb 05, 2010 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
Silksinger picks up where Blackbringer left off, with another djinn to recover and another evil to do battle with. It adds new characters--Whisper, the Silksinger of the title, and Hirik, the would-be champion of the lost djinn Azazel--and reuinites us with the old ones as well. The gifts her characters have are ingenious--Taylor weaves magic out of everyday activities like knitting and singing, and even manages to make insects a vital and necessary part of the interconnected world.

full review h
Debbie Barr
Feb 05, 2010 Debbie Barr rated it it was amazing
I had the opportunity to read an early draft of this book, and I must say, that it is AMAZING. I can't wait to be able to talk to more people about it! I felt really drawn by the book and the characters, and it was an incredible, emotional, wonderful experience of the book. I finished it, craving for more. And if this draft was good, I can only imagine how good the final product will be like!
Jacob
Dec 03, 2012 Jacob rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood, fantasy
I love a good fantasy book and this is a series I started when I was younger, but it was still as entertaining now as it was back then. I wish more people would read this series! Laini Taylor amazes me with her imagination. I want to live in her world!
Valerie Vahue
Apr 04, 2014 Valerie Vahue rated it really liked it
Loved this sequel to Blackbringer! Well written story, great characters and just flat out enjoyed the story of warrior fairies!
Foz Meadows
Jan 07, 2012 Foz Meadows rated it it was amazing
I am in awe of Laini Laylor's brain. In. Awe.

That is all.
Lindsey
Sep 24, 2015 Lindsey rated it really liked it
What do you mean there isn't a third book? Not even a book in progress? Come on Taylor!
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Dec 05, 2016 Christina (A Reader of Fictions) rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-shelves

From this point, there will be some comments on the series as a whole, but I will tag spoilers for Blackbringer or Silksinger.

Silksinger adds new characters to the existing cast: Whisper and Hirik. They get easily half the focus of Silksinger and are integral to the next part of Magpie’s quest. Whisper’s a nice addition, the only one of the group that’s not by any means a warrior. It’s great that she’s an integral portion of the team, despite that. View Spoiler »

One of the trickier thin
Narmeen Hyder
Oct 14, 2016 Narmeen Hyder rated it it was amazing
Laini Taylor can write about devils innumerable times, making each story different/unique than the other. Only she can do that and get away with it because damn, this was was soooooo goooood. Well, who am I kidding? she doesn't need to get away with anything with that kind of writing. Might I also add, what an interesting take on insects that was.

I loved this way more than the first installment, and my heart tends to warm up to characters that appear to be meek at first but are actual badasses
Jessica
Feb 05, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
My heart aches. Do you know how hard it is to read a difficult scene while you’re on your lunch break? Do you know how hard it is not to break down sobbing, desperately fighting back the tears and hoping that your face isn’t manifesting those tell-tale signs, getting all red and splotchy for the world to see?

Given the choice, I would have loved to have finished this story comfortably ensconced in my reading nook, surrounded by blankets and beagles, with free reign to weep my little eyes out with
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
That cannot be the end of this series. I mean, it was a good ending for this installment. But no more published books about Magpie and Talon and Whisper and Hirik?

JE REFUSE.
Michelle
Sep 05, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it

Originally reviewed here.

Why I Read It: After being pleasantly surprised (bit of an understatement) with Blackbringer, I immediately (I mean that literally) picked this up and devoured it. Spoiler-free review ahead (though there are spoilers for Blackbringer, so beware of that)!

THESE BOOKS!! I love them so. In the first book, Blackbringer, the action mostly takes place in the Dreamdark forest. In this second book, readers are brought to new locations and we meet new characters. It's not surprisi
Olgy
Feb 05, 2010 Olgy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Review originally posted to the CCF site & reposted here with permission of CCF. www.childrencomefirst.com/silksinger.shtml

We received a review copy of Laini Taylor's Silksinger earlier this year from its publisher, along with the first book in the series, Blackbringer. The paperback edition of Blackbringer came out in May of 2009. The hardcover edition of Silksinger came out in September. Both titles are part of the Faeries of Dreamdark books that Taylor is writing.

Silksinger brings back
Latricia
I was so excited when I open the package with this ARC inside. It was made all the better because I wasn't expecting it. A friend who reviews for an industry magazine as well as reads for various committees of ALA got a copy of the trade paper of Dreamdark: Blackbringer and the ARC of Silksinger. She never mentioned it, but passed them on to me because she remembered I was such a fan of the first book.

There was a tiny part of me that was worried about the second book. So many fantasy series have
Rhiannon Ryder
Jan 25, 2011 Rhiannon Ryder rated it it was amazing
The Sequel to Blackbringer, Silksinger did not disappoint.
Laini Taylor has officially proven, in my eyes anyhow, that she can hold her weight in the serious authors category. The wealth of richly imagined histories, cultures and beings populating her Dreamdark world grows exponentially in Silksinger, and instead of becoming watered down material, only enhances the reading experience of her books.

Dreamdark; Silksinger finds Magpie, the Crows and Talon on a mission to find the sleeping Dijin throu
Madison Mega-Mara...: Silksinger by Laini Taylor 4 5 Jul 01, 2012 12:59PM
  • The Lost Conspiracy
  • The Remarkable & Very True Story of Lucy & Snowcap
  • Timothy and the Dragon's Gate (Alex and the Ironic Gentleman, #2)
  • The Ruby Key (Moon & Sun, #1)
  • Kith (The Good Neighbors, #2)
  • Guardian of the Green Hill (Under the Green Hill)
  • Rebel (Faery Rebels, #2)
  • The Celestial Globe (The Kronos Chronicles, #2)
  • Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris (Theodosia Throckmorton, #2)
  • The Indigo King (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #3)
  • The Farwalker’s Quest
  • The Prince of Fenway Park
  • Changeling (Changeling, #1)
  • Plain Kate
  • Cybele's Secret (Wildwood, #2)
  • The Story of Owen: Dragon Slayer of Trondheim (The Story of Owen, #1)
  • Factotum (Monster Blood Tattoo, #3)
  • The Book of Dreams (The Chronicles of Faerie, #4)
Hi there! I'm a writer of fantasy books for young people, but my books can be enjoyed by adults as well. My 'Dreamdark' books, Blackbringer (2007) and Silksinger (2009) are about faeries -- not dainty little flowery things, but warrior-faeries who battle devils. My first young adult book, Lips Touch, is a finalist for the 2009 National Book Award! It's creepy, sensual supernatural romance. . . ...more
More about Laini Taylor...

Faeries of Dreamdark (2 books)
  • Blackbringer (Dreamdark, #1)