Start by marking “The Complete Tassajara Cookbook: Recipes, Techniques, and Reflections from the Famed Zen Kitchen” as Want to Read:

Tassajara, the California spa/retreat center, has long been renowned for its gourmet vegetarian cuisine. In this comprehensive book, one of Tassajara’s most well-known and beloved cooks, Edward Espe Brown, presents hundreds of recipes using fresh, whole foods; detailed notes on preparing seasonal ingredients; and, perhaps most important, inspiration for cooking with joyful ...more
Published September 8th 2009 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Tassajara Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Tassajara Cookbook

Trish
Jan 20, 2012 Trish rated it it was amazing
I uncovered a recipe in here which brought me to the book, and I have to say I adore the way Brown's distinct personality shines through his stories which are scattered throughout the book. He shares the highs and lows of cooking for a group, and celebrates the simple and unadorned. Three stories I marked and would like to share:
...people will pay three to five times as much money for prepared foods as for the plain ingredients, even for something quite simple like scalloped potates. This basic
SarahJaneSmith
Normally I do not read cookbooks from cover to cover, but this one was different. The recipe part I only skimmed through, but I definitely will come back to some of them. Edward Espe Brown`s Complete Tassajara Cookbook is more than a cookbook - it`s an encouragement to (as he writes himself) come to your senses, to see, smell, taste and touch. In reviews below I have read some comments (or complaints?) about the fact that, for a vegetarian cookbook, the recipes include many eggs and cheese, that ...more
Lynn
Sep 06, 2015 Lynn rated it it was amazing
The best vegetarian cookbook ever. I have his old ones from the 70s and 80s. Many of the same recipes are here but updated for the 21st century, plus lots more - lots of balsamic vinegar, goat cheese and dried tomatoes. But the best parts are the stories and the philosophy.

"When you wash the rice, wash the rice. When you stir the soup, stir the soup." Zen cooking. Love it!
Linda
Mar 21, 2016 Linda rated it it was amazing
Picked this up off my shelf this weekend and discovered I never reviewed it. My favorite cookbook. Excellent recipes and delightful little stories from the zen kitchen at Tassajara. Also love the simplicity of the recipes.
Aja Marsh
Dec 26, 2014 Aja Marsh rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Nothing amazing in here, but still nice to flip through. All vegetarian but definitely not vegan.
Stephy
This is a fabulous cookbook! I wish it had been out there in the late sixties, when I had my first leanings toward a vegetarian diet. Much of what is here, I have learned by trial and error, and by experimentation. But I have learned so many new ideas just reading it that I am excited about cooking all over again.

It is filled with sauces, breads, desserts, and main dishes as well as vegetable and fruit recipes. Read this book. Cook from this book! Use this book to learn to adapt anything to alm
Deborah Byfield Nyberg
Jun 27, 2015 Deborah Byfield Nyberg rated it really liked it
What I most like about this book is the teaching of mindfulness and the need to be aware in our actions, no matter what they are. I like the thought that mindfulness doesn't necessarily mean you go at half the pace, but that you are aware of your actions, training your mind think more clearly and therefore be sharper.
Alice
Nov 20, 2013 Alice rated it really liked it
The perfect mix of good technique, good recipes, and good voice. The narrative interludes frequently say just what I need to hear. For a vegetarian cookbook, it does use a lot of cheese and eggs, but no other complaints.
Cherie
Aug 12, 2010 Cherie rated it it was amazing
An excellent cookbook I want to own. In the very Zen, methodical, be-in-the-present moment way of healthy vegetarian cooking. A wonderful book – highly recommended!
Lulu
Lulu rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2013
Cat
Cat rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2009
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2009
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Nick Sigmund
Nick Sigmund rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2014
A
A rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2015
Evelyn Deutsch
Evelyn Deutsch rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2011
Michaelrpdx
Michaelrpdx rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2014
Randy
Randy rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2014
Christine Racine
Christine Racine rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Luis Élye
Luis Élye rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2013
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2011
Laurie Barrett
Laurie Barrett rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2012
L.
L. rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
Claus Neugebauer
Claus Neugebauer rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2014
Nigel_s
Nigel_s rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
May 23, 2010
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2014
Chetranjan Singh
Chetranjan Singh rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
  • Honey from a Weed: Fasting and Feasting in Tuscany, Catalonia, the Cyclades and Apulia
  • Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking
  • Afro-Vegan: Farm-Fresh African, Caribbean, and Southern Flavors Remixed
  • The Bread Bible: 300 Favorite Recipes
  • The Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health: More Than 200 New Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes for Delicious and Nutrient-Rich Dishes
  • The French Market Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes from My Parisian Kitchen
  • Recipes from the Root Cellar: 270 Fresh Ways to Enjoy Winter Vegetables
  • Mediterranean Harvest: Vegetarian Recipes from the World's Healthiest Cuisine
  • The Food Matters Cookbook: 500 Revolutionary Recipes for Better Living
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book
  • Feast: Generous Vegetarian Meals for Any Eater and Every Appetite
  • Mastering Fermentation: Recipes for Making and Cooking with Fermented Foods
  • The Heart of the Plate: Vegetarian Recipes for a New Generation
Edward Espe Brown is a Zen Buddhist priest and professional chef.
More about Edward Espe Brown...