Start by marking “Sir Dalton and the Shadow Heart (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #3)” as Want to Read:
Sir Dalton and the Shadow Heart (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #3)

Sir Dalton and the Shadow Heart (The Knights of Arrethtrae #3)

4.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  455 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
The shadow of doubt can destroy the most noble of men. Can Sir Dalton rediscover his allegiance before it's too late?

Sir Dalton, a knight in training, seems to have everything going for him. Young, well-liked, and a natural leader, he has earned the respect and admiration of his fellow knights, and especially the beautiful Lady Brynn.

But something is amiss at the training
Published May 5th 2009 by Multnomah (first published April 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sir Dalton and the Shadow Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sir Dalton and the Shadow Heart

Shantelle
An intriguing journey of faith set in a non-magical fantasy world and lived out by a young knight, Sir Dalton and the Shadow Heart is a Christian allegorical novel not to be missed! Eleven-year-olds and up should definitely check out THE KNIGHTS OF ARRETHTRAE by Chuck Black. My older brother and I, adults, also really enjoyed it!

This book is the third in THE KNIGHTS OF ARRETHTRAE series, which follows the KINGDOM series. The first series is an allegorical journey spanning Genesis to Revelation (
Kaysie
Feb 19, 2015 Kaysie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes you will stumble and have to get back up. Sometimes you will fail and have to trust that The Lord forgives you and loves you. This book is a wonderful read! The road is not always straight, the path is not always clear. He knows there is something missing, something others have but he doesn't, what is it he wanders. This characters journey to finding a personal relationship with his Lord and not one shaped by others opinion is beautifully written and one I will enjoy for a long time to ...more
A.M. Reynwood
Jun 12, 2014 A.M. Reynwood rated it really liked it
Sir Dalton and the Shadow Heart was so far my favorite over the previous two. Chuck Black opened up with a great introduction to the story with immediate action, then back tracked to explain how we got there. I thought the story very engaging, and his vocabulary and wording seemed to improve with this third installment. I was very pleased, and the ending had piqued my enthusiasm for the next by merging them together. The tale of a half hearted knight experiencing the dangers of doubt, only to be ...more
Rachel
Feb 15, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
“Dalton turned to look at the hermit again. 'Is it that simple?' 'The only way to have a complete heart for the Prince is to know it is true. A man who doesn't is like a wave of the sea being tossed by the wind.'”

Sir Dalton has pledged his life to the Prince, yet he feels he still is lacking and not the knight he desires to be. When a new leader enters the haven of knights to train them, new doubts enter his mind. Blinded, too, by the beauty of Lady Brynn who mysteriously doesn't like the new
Jennifer Defoy
I'm not really into tales of knights and such, but I ended up liking this one anyway :-)

The story is about Sir Dalton who is a Knight of the Prince. The story deals with the basic struggles of good and evil. The Knights of the Prince fight in honor of the King and his son the Prince. Lord Drox is a fallen knight, who now fights against the Knights of the Prince and tries to gain allegiance from Knights of the Prince who falter in their loyalty.

The story is fast paced, and it is also a quick rea
Virginia
Sir Dalton is a knight serving the Prince, Son of the King who rules the great Kingdom across the Sea. Sir Dalton's early training is conducted by a knight who plants seeds of doubt in his mind with his endless discussions of theory and very little practical training in combat. When Sir Dalton is captured by a powerful dark lord, he faces his own doubts and weakness.

In this thinly-veiled allegory of the Christian faith, the author presents many thought-provoking issues that Christians face today
Lilly W.
Aug 09, 2011 Lilly W. rated it it was amazing
Started book on July 22
Option One Last Book (Fourth Book)
Sir Dalton And The Shadow Heart

Dalton and Brynn were young and were training to become knights of The Prince. But from their younger ages love steers them from the Prince and all they really care about is each other. Now there are many knights that come to teach them how to fight with swords and how important the Prince really is. from Dalton's younger age he has doubted the Prince a little like if he is real or if he really is all mig
Lori Twichell
Oct 22, 2013 Lori Twichell rated it it was amazing
Unlike the previous books, Dalton doesn’t face an outside temptation or foe. He must battle and struggle with something far more dangerous. It’s within himself. What happens when you don’t really feel your vow to the King? Are you just going through the motions instead of doing that which you are called to do? These are the things Black tackles in this book and this is when I truly became a fan of this series. When I finished this book, I handed it directly to my husband and told him to read it. ...more
Michelle Lammers
Jun 28, 2014 Michelle Lammers rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 8-18+
Sir Dalton's character and adventures are memorable. When I read this book, I traveled to a land of good and evil where darkness and light contrast is glorious metaphysical battles.

It was also pleasant how this book smoothly transitioned into Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue.
Brittany
Jan 18, 2014 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Sir Dalton is a knight of the Prince, but his faith is not grounded and soon he finds himself a captive to fear and doubt.
This book was so good. It is hard to write good reviews for books in a series, but these books deserve a better review than I am capable of writing. Each one is so unique and touches on different areas of life and your relationship with The King and His Son. Sir Dalton and the Shadow Heart was amazing. I was challenged by the message of this book, as I think anyone with an
Jill Williamson
Oct 14, 2009 Jill Williamson rated it really liked it
Sir Dalton’s life is going very well. He is young and handsome, respected among his fellow knights and admired by the beautiful Lady Brynn. But a shadow of doubt grows in his heart. Is that enough to destroy him? The powerful Lord Drox seems to be intent on killing Sir Dalton at all costs. Is there nothing Sir Dalton can do to escape the evil lord?

This book was clever. I like the way Chuck Black uses knights and allegory to write deep stories. Having not read the first two books in the series,
Chuggachuggachoochoo
The prison of the dark lord is similar to the imprisonment one can feel when posesed with greed and doubt.
Meadow Frisbie
Jan 14, 2013 Meadow Frisbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, midieval
Dalton wants to follow the Prince, but his skills tell a different story. His heart is filled with doubts, and teachings of crooked teachers. Can Dalton find his true purpose, even in the depths of a dungeon?

This was a good book! I think he's written better though, I am looking forward to the next book that is based a girl (for the first time!)
Matthew Lee
Apr 16, 2015 Matthew Lee rated it it was amazing
In a tradition started a family dear to me, I've been reading these books with my wife. So far, Sir Dalton may be my favorite of the series. It's tale of the challenges facing those that go into ministry with a naïve faith and shows how the Lord can rebuild them after their own strength falters. Be strong!
Bethany
Jul 17, 2013 Bethany rated it it was amazing
My favorite Knights of Arrethtrae book so far!!!! I love the way Chuck Black brings out the apathy of young people and inspires them to be true "Knights of the Prince" and not be ashamed of being thought of as too "serious" when it comes to serving our King.

The King reigns... and His Son!
Austin
Feb 10, 2013 Austin rated it really liked it
I give this book 3.5. I really do think these books should be longer. Even though the books are short, they are well written. Chuck Black's writing is quick and it cuts to the chase. This makes fast scenes that are full of action and are interesting.
Layla
Dec 19, 2011 Layla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: need-to-buy
this is one of my favorites of the series. this series is really good. i tend to stay away from christian authors and books but this series and the kingdom series are amazing and i highly recommend them. chuck black does a fabulous job with them.
Connie
Aug 22, 2012 Connie rated it it was amazing
Sir Dalton meets Mister/Master Sejus and his life is transformed from one of doubt and complacency to one of zeal for the Prince. Life by the sword and the Code is not void of danger, but "the King reigns...and the Son!"
Redwallcrazy- My God is Healer, Awesome in Power!
Feb 24, 2010 Redwallcrazy- My God is Healer, Awesome in Power! rated it really liked it
Recommended to Redwallcrazy- My God is Healer, Awesome in Power! by: Sean, a friend
Very interesting. I have felt some of Dalton's doubt at times, and just what happens and the way he handles it is inspiring. I think I need to do some rethinking in my walk with God.
Rebekah Tooley
Aug 26, 2015 Rebekah Tooley rated it liked it
A good, clean Christian book. It's hard to rate this book, but it is a definite must read!
Rachel
Feb 07, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Great book, I listened to it on CD then read it a week later. :)
Johanna
Oct 25, 2012 Johanna rated it really liked it
I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO LADY CARLISS!!! D8 lol.
Carolina
Aug 22, 2011 Carolina rated it it was amazing
Best Christain Books Ever!
Kim
Nov 04, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing
Re-read Nov. 2015.
Kyle Anderson
Feb 21, 2012 Kyle Anderson rated it it was amazing
Really good book
Andrea Harris
Andrea Harris marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Halli Richter
Halli Richter is currently reading it
May 24, 2016
Joe
Joe rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Josiah Whitesell
Josiah Whitesell marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Angelo
Angelo added it
May 20, 2016
  • Truth (Makilien, #1)
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • Venom and Song (The Berinfell Prophecies, #2)
  • The Bridge (Bracken Trilogy, #1)
  • The Heart of Arcrea (The Arcrean Conquest, #1)
  • The Invisible Friend (Viking Quest, #3)
  • Prairie River: Winter Tidings (Prairie River, #3)
  • Darien's Rise (Adventures In Odyssey: Passages, #1)
  • Third Starlighter (Tales of Starlight, #2)
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)
202312
Chuck Black first wrote Kingdom’s Edge to inspire his children to read the Bible with renewed zeal. This captivating expanded parable led him to write the Old Testament allegories, Kingdom’s Dawn, Kingdom’s Hope, Kingdom’s Call, and Kingdom’s Quest. Chuck's currents works include the Knights of Arrethtrae series, Call to Arms, and his series in progress, Wars of the Realm.

Chuck is a former F-16 fi
More about Chuck Black...

The Knights of Arrethtrae (6 books)
  • Sir Kendrick and the Castle of Bel Lione (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #1)
  • Sir Bentley and Holbrook Court (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #2)
  • Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #4)
  • Sir Quinlan and the Swords of Valor (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #5)
  • Sir Rowan and the Camerian Conquest (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #6)

One of my questions?' Dalton asked.

'Yes ... one of many that keep you from having the heart of a Knight of the Prince. You must face all of them, Dalton. The King and His Son are not afraid of questions.”
1 likes