Start by marking “Death of a Butterfly (Sigrid Harald Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Death of a Butterfly (Sigrid Harald Mystery #2)

Death of a Butterfly (Sigrid Harald #2)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  383 ratings  ·  24 reviews
An award-winning mystery novelist and New York Times Bestseller, Margaret Maron uses her North Carolina background when writing the popular Judge Deborah Knott series.

But before Deborah Knott, there was Lt. Sigrid Harald, a homicide detective with the NYPD. Death of a Butterfly is the second book in this series. In this book, Lt. Harald investigates the death of Julie Red
Published by Authors Choice Press (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Butterfly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Butterfly

Ellen Moore
This was an interesting mystery--the second I have read (but not in order) in the Sigrid Harald series. The main character, Sigrid, is extremely reserved and private. She reveals very little personal information to anyone including the reader, and I find it difficult to relate to her. In fact, at times in both books I have read, I have the distinct impression that her assistant Tillie is doing the majority of the investigating. I still find it almost impossible to believe that this series and th ...more
Linda Baker
Lt. Harald is called to the murder scene of Julie Richmond, a young divorced woman with lots of secrets and even more people who might want to see her dead. Sigrid and Tillie (her partner) have to puzzle their way through all these motives, but as seems to be usual, Sigrid's flash of intuition solves the case. There is a lot of emphasis on a timeline in this case-not a favorite plot device for me. I tend to get bogged down in timelines!

I would probably give this entry in the Sigrid Harald serie
May 07, 2011 Abbey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of cosy police procedurals
The second of the Sigrid Harald series, this early book from Margaret Maron (1984) is nonetheless well-crafted and surprisingly deep psychologically. A woman you love to hate (steals from, cheats, and/or blackmails several folks, and emotionally bullies her child) is murdered and Sigrid can't seem to make all the pieces fit.

There's a pretty elaborate timetable element here, and the writing is a mite awkward, but strong enough to pull you through. The real richness is in the characters - multifa
Excellent mystery. The NYC setting for this mystery with a police detective as the main character is unusual for a cozy mystery yet Maron pulls it off. This one is set on one floor of an apartment building. One of the occupants is murdered and as the story unfolds she is revealed as an amoral person who committed despicable acts. Still it is the detective's job to identify the culprit and she does so brilliantly. The author plays on our presumptions to hide a killer in plain sight.
I really like
Emily Crow
This was a very quick read and a so-so mystery. I have read some of Maron's later work, and she has really improved since then. The story is rather simple, and in parts seemed a bit dated, such as multiple characters stating how unusual it was to have a woman police officer investigating a murder. Fans of Maron and die-hard mystery buffs should enjoy it.
Better than the first book. Still not as good as the series with Deborah Knott. I think that is because it's a little harder to relate to the main character in this series, but the series is developing and the characters are becoming more human and less cardboard.
I enjoyed this book just as much and maybe more on this second (maybe third) reading. Lt. Sigrid Harald of the NYPD comes across as a very real person who may seem to be repressed to many. Actually she is a quiet deep person who is just now starting to unfurl her petals.

In this outing she is investigating the murder of a attractive young woman who at first glance had the appearance of a butterfly as she lay crumpled on the floor surrounded by a colorful wrap. Sigrid needs to find out what kind
Sandra Harrison
Good story!

Much better story line than the 1st book. Characters are developing quite nicely and each is becoming more interesting. Enjoyed. Hope #3 is as good or better.
Not finding this series as satisfying as the other series by this author - the Judge Deborah Knott series. Sigrid, a police detective, is a sympathetic character, but not as easy to like as Deborah Knott. She's a much more reserved, controlled, almost cold person; but she' really not cold - she just appears that way to most people.

These books also (I must admit,though, that I've only read two so far), don't seem as fleshed out as the Deborah Knott series. However, I've still found them satisfyi
Another good book in the Sigrid Harald series. These make great rainy day reads.
Cyn Mcdonald
Rereading the series since One Coffee With was just reprinted.
Marilyn S. Hine
. He r stories are always exciting,

it v very lo
gicali never miss an opportunity to
y one.i h ave. a l a.rge library ary o.f
her books.Margaret Maron is always excellent,and this is no exception
This is the first Sigrid Harald mystery I have read. I love the Deborah Knott series and thought I would try this series by the same author. Sigrid, a New York City detective is entirely different from judge Deborah Knott. She is reserved and doesn't seem to have close friends or much family. She is good at her job. This novels involves the death of an unpleasant single mother with many possible suspects.
Kilian Metcalf
I'm not a big fan of police procedurals. I am a big fan of Margaret Maron and her Deborah Knott series. Eventually these two women are going to meet, so I am reading the Sigrid Harald series to become familiar with her character to enhance my enjoyment of their meeting. There's nothing wrong with the series, so if you enjoy police procedurals, you might like them.
Diane Heath
This second book in the Sigrid Harald series shows her sense of justice with a streak of ruthlessness. The mystery is not difficult to solve but the twist is in the final pages
I have been enjoying this series of police procedurals that take place back in the 70s/80s prior to the internet and cell phone, and women were just coming into their own in many different professions.
I really like the Sigrid Harald series. I thought her later ones were better than this one, but she always has a quirky ending.
A bit slight, but the character is interesting enough for me to continue with the series.
This was much better than the first Sigrid book. Ithad better character development.
Jun 16, 2009 Leanne marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if I read this or not! I think its out of print, so it'll be hard to find.
Solution too pat, not really based on the investigation. Only OK.
Betty marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Cinlar marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
  • Martians in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #8)
  • Zombies of the Gene Pool (Jay Omega, #2)
  • The Day the Rabbi Resigned
  • The James Joyce Murder (A Kate Fansler Mystery #2)
  • Set Sail for Murder (Henrie O, #7)
  • Night Work (Kate Martinelli, #4)
  • Delete All Suspects (Turing Hopper, #4)
  • Mercury's Rise (Silver Rush, #4)
  • Desert Run (A Lena Jones Mystery #4)
  • Murder Among the OWLS (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #14)
  • Graveyard Dust (Benjamin January, #3)
  • The Adventure of the ‘Western Star': A Short Story
Born and raised in central North Carolina, Margaret Maron lived in Italy before returning to the USA where she and her husband now live. In addition to a collection of short stories she's also the author of 16 mystery novels. Her works have been translated into seven languages her Bootlegger's Daughter, a Washington Post Bestseller won Edgar Anthony, Agatha, and Macavity awards. She is a past pres ...more
More about Margaret Maron...

Sigrid Harald (8 books)
  • One Coffee With (Sigrid Harald, #1)
  • Death in Blue Folders (Sigrid Harald, #3)
  • The Right Jack (Sigrid Harald, #4)
  • Baby Doll Games (Sigrid Harald, #5)
  • Corpus Christmas (Sigrid Harald, #6)
  • Past Imperfect (Sigrid Harald, #7)
  • Fugitive Colors (Sigrid Harald, #8)