Start by marking “Poems from the Women's Movement (American Poets Project)” as Want to Read:
Poems from the Women's Movement (American Poets Project)

Poems from the Women's Movement (American Poets Project)

A volume of top-selected works representing definitive modes of thought during the women's movement of the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s is a collection that includes pieces by such writers as Adrienne Rich, Muriel Rukeyeser, and Judy Grahn.
Published April 2nd 2009 by Library of America

To ask other readers questions about Poems from the Women's Movement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems from the Women's Movement

Elevate Difference
Jul 25, 2009 Elevate Difference rated it really liked it
It’s debatable whether collections of work by “women poets” (or, shudder, “poetesses”) are legitimate groupings. I tend to regard these types of collections with a raised eyebrow, imagining a group of women having an outdoor party, having been shut out of some stuffy jackets-required club, now herded together and pushed through the doors all at once to their dismay. But in Poems from the Women's Movement, the poems are linked with a real thread, a socio-political movement, making this anthology ...more
Marilyn
Oct 06, 2012 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Another of my favorites in poetry dept. If you're a Baby Boomer and/or feminist, this will truly speak to you Have used some of these poems as writing prompts.
Sasha
Oct 01, 2016 Sasha rated it really liked it
A time capsule of a zeitgeist, a great curation of a moment in literary history.
Peggy
Apr 09, 2013 Peggy rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Reading these poems is like taking a walk through history. How it once seemed so revolutionary to read a poem about a woman's body or from a woman's point of view. It was exhilarating to realize that there was an ocean of shared experiences among us and that we could define ourselves rather than be defined by others. An excellent selection of poetry that still shimmers with the energy of that time, when poetry announced the vanguard, the next stage of women, who would smash stereotypes and expec ...more
Joe
Jul 11, 2014 Joe rated it really liked it
I don't read nearly enough women, though that isn't necessarily the reason I picked this up. I had never seen these LOA published American Poets Project series books and they are quite stylish. My only complaint was that, in a book like this, the lack of dates after respective poems could be a bit disorienting.

For this relatively brief anthology, the uniformity of purpose was both a boon and limiting factor. Honor Moore was able to collect some really tremendous work, but I also felt that some o
Melissa
Mar 08, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
“What would happen if one woman told the truth about her life? / The world would split open.” ~ Muriel Rukeyser

In this collection of poetry, one woman doesn’t tell the truth about her life. Many women do.

And if the poets represented in this collection aren’t speaking about personal experience, they’re writing about the collective experience of so many women throughout the generations.

These poems are raw but truthful. Uncomfortable but honest. They take no prisoners and have a no-holds-barred men
Deborah
Jan 20, 2016 Deborah rated it really liked it
"THE WOMEN 19S MOVEMENT OF THE 1960s, 70s, AND 80s generated an extraordinary outpouring of poetry that captured an age of expectancy, of defiant purpose, and exuberant exploration"

I am not a huge fan of poetry but since remember life in the 60's, etc., and the greatest part of this is that these writers said what no one had said 'out loud' before! I remember growing up thinking 'what do you mean women weren't allowed to vote!?" I thought that was the craziest thing I had ever heard. Men can vot
cubierocks
Aug 02, 2016 cubierocks rated it really liked it
Favorites

"10 commandments for liberation" - Alta
"Miscarriage - Alta
"At the End of the Affair" - Maxine Kumin
"I Like to Think of Harriet Tubman" - Susan Griffin
"An Answer to a Man's Question, 'What Can I Do About Women's Liberation?'" - Susan Griffin
"For My Sister Molly Who in the Fifties" - Alice Walker
"You say I am Mysterious" - Elsa Gidlow
"Eat Rice Have Faith in Women" - Fran Winant
"A Woman is Talking to Death" - Judy Grahn
"Don't Cheapen Yourself" - Jana Harris
"Women's Work" - Michelle Clif
Robin
Jun 28, 2013 Robin rated it really liked it
Thankfully, this anthology was full of gems, rather than being full of filler poems with a few gems thrown in. I mostly read women's poetry, because it resonates so strongly with me. Some lines just jump off the page and grip you, like this passage from one of Alta's poems:

write your own commandments. i am only
a person like you. “burn this
& memorize yourself.”

Boom! Memorize yourself indeed, Alta. Love it!

Now I need to go read some other works by all the poets featured in this collection. One
Shannon DeRespino
May 02, 2016 Shannon DeRespino rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
A solid collection with a lot of variety in the voices. I do wish the dates of the poems had been noted. I read this for grad school and citing the poems proved problematic with no publication dates.
Leah
Jul 24, 2010 Leah rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot, but then I usually enjoy most poetry books. It's definitely one I would like to own.
Jai Danielle (It's Lit Club)
Nov 09, 2013 Jai Danielle (It's Lit Club) rated it really liked it
4.0

"I am an instrument in the shape of a woman trying to translate pulsations into images for the relief of the body and the reconstruction of the mind."
Allison
Jan 12, 2014 Allison rated it liked it
Perfectly fine. It's a bit difficult to judge poetry anthologies, isn't it? It's like rating a history textbook.
Pamela Erin Mason
Oct 13, 2016 Pamela Erin Mason rated it it was amazing
Escribí este artículo para mi columna La letra violeta en Mundo Procaz, sobre Poems from the Women's Movement:
Leonard
Nov 04, 2009 Leonard rated it it was amazing
Edgy informative poems by women who have been on the cutting edge of trying to make women first class citizens of this country, and address the injustices and mistreatment they face. Very worthwhile.
Vanessa Sweet
Vanessa Sweet rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2011
Tiara Peeples
Tiara Peeples rated it it was ok
Jan 09, 2015
Arlo
Arlo rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2016
Jodee
Jodee rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2011
Sandie
Sandie rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Lia
Lia rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Nora
Nora rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2013
Leo
Leo rated it it was ok
Aug 03, 2011
JJ Lynne
JJ Lynne rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2011
Kelli
Kelli rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2010
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2009
Sophie
Sophie rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2012
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Bigger the Better, the Tighter the Sweater: 21 Funny Women on Beauty, Body Image, and Other Hazards of Being Female
  • Essential Pleasures: A New Anthology of Poems to Read Aloud
  • Feed Me!: Writers Dish About Food, Eating, Weight, and Body Image
  • The Fire This Time: Young Activists and the New Feminism
  • The Dinner Party: From Creation to Preservation
  • Choice: True Stories of Birth, Contraception, Infertility, Adoption, Single Parenthood, and Abortion
  • It's So You: 35 Women Write About Personal Expression Through Fashion and Style
  • Directed by Desire: The Collected Poems
  • Women in Praise of the Sacred: 43 Centuries of Spiritual Poetry by Women
  • Black Wings and Blind Angels
  • Food for Our Grandmothers: Writings by Arab-American and Arab-Canadian Feminists
  • The Work of a Common Woman: The Collected Poetry of Judy Grahn, 1964-1977
  • Word Warriors: 35 Women Leaders in the Spoken Word Revolution
  • Women of Color and Feminism: Seal Studies
  • Language for a New Century: Contemporary Poetry from the Middle East, Asia, and Beyond
  • Tonight No Poetry Will Serve
  • Poems for the Millennium, Vol. 1: Modern and Postmodern Poetry from Fin-de-Siècle to Negritude
  • Good Poems: American Places
Honor Moore is the author of three poetry collections and of The White Blackbird, a life of her grandmother, the painter Margarett Sargent. She lives in New York City and teaches at the New School and Columbia University."
More about Honor Moore...