Start by marking “Batman: Hush” as Want to Read:
Batman: Hush

Batman: Hush (Batman: Hush #1-2)

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  20,471 Ratings  ·  797 Reviews
BATMAN: HUSH is a thrilling mystery of action, intrigue, and deception penned by Jeph Loeb (BATMAN: THE LONG HALLOWEEN) and illustrated by comics superstar Jim Lee (ALL STAR BATMAN & ROBIN, THE BOY WONDER) in which Batman sets out to discover the identity of a mysterious mastermind using the Joker, Riddler, Ra's al Ghul and the Dark Knight's other enemies - and allies ...more
Published August 18th 2009 by DC Comics (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Batman by Alan MooreBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Jeph LoebBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Grant Morrison
Best of Batman
6th out of 352 books — 618 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
43rd out of 805 books — 1,465 voters

More lists with this book...

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Jan 29, 2015 Shelby *trains flying monkeys* rated it really liked it
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Jeff
I had such a hard time deciding how to rate this one. I liked it and I didn't like it. I'm going with a four star..just because I love me some Batman and there are several really good things about this book.

Like: Batman and Catwoman. Do I like them together doing the smoochie smoochie? Well, somewhat.

I thought it would be hotter than it was..I mean come on, they are both awesomeness..but well it kinda fizzled in this book.
But here? Pure hawt.

Yes, I know I'm weird. I've been told that before.

T
Kat Stark
Nov 07, 2015 Kat Stark rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, reviewed

Criteria: Any comic with Batman

Dude. I loved the artwork like crazy. I loved the characterization and I even enjoyed the dialogue, but that plot was fucking terrible.

I won’t rag on it anymore, I’ll just say this:

Poison Ivy using Catwoman and Superman to get her way...oh hells-to-the-nah says Batman.
Bruce’s best friend gets shot by a “mystery” man...oh hells-to-the-nah says Batman.
Money resolves all (the motivations are just *SMH*)...oh hells-to-the-nah says Batman.
Every single villain and semi-h
Jeff
Jan 23, 2014 Jeff rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
Batman and Catwoman sitting in a tree, K-I–S-S- .. . Okay, enough with that.

What I find fascinating is that nearly every Batman graphic novel I’ve read recently has been a good/great one. Forbidden Planet lists their top 50 graphic novels of all time. Batman has 5. No one else comes close. Many of the major comic writers have all tackled Batman: Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Alan Moore, Jeph Loeb, Ed Brubaker, Neil Gaiman, Chuck Dixon etc. etc.

What makes
Dan Schwent
Aug 24, 2012 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, 2012, cool-covers
An unknown enemy is trying to destroy Batman at the same time he enters into a relationship with Catwoman. But who knows all of Batman's secrets?

I've been hearing about Hush since it was coming out in monthly format and finally decided to give it a chance. It was totally worth it.

Honestly, I was skeptical at first. While I liked Jeph Loeb's work on Batman: The Long Halloween, I thought it felt a little padded. As for Jim Lee, I was wondering if he still had that old magic. I was not disappointed
Brad
Aug 13, 2012 Brad rated it really liked it
Never have I read such an emotionally satisfying Batman tale.

As much as I loved The Dark Knight Returns (and what sixteen year old comic book geek in 1986 didn't?), there is something inaccessible about Frank Miller’s Batman that always pushed me two paces to the side. Jeph Loeb’s Batman, though, is a different guy.

Well, he’s the same guy, but Batman Hush invites us into Batman/Bruce in a way I’ve never experienced. I can’t pin down exactly why, but there are a few possibilities. First, he’s ph
matt
Aug 06, 2008 matt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
I guess I'm mostly alone in not thinking much about this title -- but here are my reasons:

SPOILERS BELOW
********************************************************************************

I don't think Lee's artwork is right for this story. I know this is a very "personal taste" kind of thing - but so be it. His work is very "high-def", and I think mysteries are more effective with subtle, even murky images...I don't want to see each individual sinew of Batman's bicep, and I don't think it helps set
The Holy Terror
Absolutely fantastic.

Though, holy spoilers, Batman.

Hehehe.

I suppose you have to expect that with such a long running series, but honestly this doesn't keep me from wanting to read the previous stories any bit even though I know what's going to happen now. Plus, I kind of knew bits and pieces from the movies, the animated series, and the video games already so I can't really complain that much.

I really love all of the women in this universe, though Catwoman will always be my favorite. I've loved
Sam Quixote
Mar 14, 2014 Sam Quixote rated it did not like it
Hush is without doubt one of the worst Batman books of the last 15 years but what makes it even worse is how highly it's rated by so many comics readers.

Well, I re-read this recently because I couldn't remember a thing about it from the first and only other time I read this years ago and what did I find? Good reason for why I couldn't remember a thing about it.

So I wrote an article on it's many failings here
Anne
I've read Hush in the past (Batman: Hush, Vol. 1, Batman: Hush, Vol. 2), but this one is some kind of collector's edition or something.
Whee!
Except I didn't actually open the book at the library.
So.
Yeah, it turns out that Hush Unwrapped is meant to showcase Jim Lee's penciling.
Which, to be fair, are really impressive. However, I'm not a fan of black and white comics. Not only that, but it's is really hard in some of the panels to tell exactly what is going on. Especially the action scenes.
Pssst
Stephen
Oct 15, 2010 Stephen rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. This was a pretty good Batman story but I went into it with such high expectations that when I finished I was a little disappointed. Overall, I enjoyed it but it is not among my favorite Batman stories. I did, however, really like the art by Jim Lee.
Steve
Jul 31, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing
I'm not going to be able to add anything that any of the other of the thousands of reviews have already said. But this is clearly one of the best story arcs in the history of Batman.
Highly recommended for everyone!
Jesse A
A very entertaining, very good Bat-book. Has the flavor of a Morrison Batman book without the batshit craziness.
Magdalena
I like Catwoman, I have liked her since I saw Batman with Michelle Pfeiffer in the role. For me she is the perfect Catwoman and Halle Berry and Anne Hathaway isn’t half a Catwoman as she is! Anyway this is a great comic book; I started reading it late an evening (never a good thing when one has to go up early to find something so delicious to read) and I it was such a good story with lots of lots of villains and some Batman & Catwoman luve!! I’m a girl, I like a bit of snogging sometimes in ...more
Mason
Jun 30, 2015 Mason rated it it was ok
Ya know, I feel like this could potentially be a great comic for people being introduced to Batman. It's got most of his most infamous rouges, it catches you up on the majority of the Bat-family antics, and it has some fairly decent artwork.

But for people who are more steeped in the Batman universe, people who've read multiple comics, seen the shows, watched the movies, and played the games; for people who know Batman, the Bat-family, and the villains, and for people who know who Hush is and wh
Daniel
Sep 04, 2015 Daniel rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Predivivni crtezi prepuni detalja, akcija koja skoro ostavlja bez daha i atmosfera koja je skoro savrsena.

Ali onda stizemo do price... i najslabijeg dela i koje mi na kraju skoro upropasti sve ovo. Jednostavno suvise konfuzno i to ne potrebno sa glupavim objasnjenjima i bezveznim krajem.

Velika steta ali opet po meni svaka preporuka za ljubitelje Batmana.
Kee the Ekairidium
This comic story has everything that it tends to become disjointed at times but at its best, it was able to provide insightful examinations on Batman’s social circle which includes fellow caped crusaders and the colorful villains that composed the infamous rogue gallery. Hush basically has every character you have ever known in the Batverse: the Robins minus Damian Wayne, the Huntress, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Joker and Harley Quinn, Killer Croc, Two-faced, Ra’s Al Ghul, The Riddler, etc.

There is
Kurt
Mar 04, 2014 Kurt rated it it was ok
I don't really see the appeal of this book... Yes, the art is nice, in a nineties way, and the pace is pretty good over the span of the whole collection. There are some fight scenes and some explorations of Batman continuity, but.. it's not good. The story is presented as a mystery, in which one character is shown to be the only real suspect, and then after ten issues or so, other suspects emerge momentarily but never for more than a few pages. Is a reader supposed to be surprised at the semi-re ...more
Liz
Callie Rose Tyler
Jul 31, 2014 Callie Rose Tyler rated it it was amazing
Awesome! Flawless! Suspenseful with satisfying twists and turns and a diverse parade of Gotham characters. This comic always heads 'Batman best of lists' for a reason, it is a MUST READ for any Batman fan. A great mystery with plenty of red herrings and multiple layers so that even when the culprit has been revealed there is more and more to discover. While I suspected the mastermind early the plot was deep enough to keep me on my toes.

I have to mention the amazing artwork of Jim Lee, which is
Logan
Sep 27, 2015 Logan rated it it was amazing
WOW!!! This was a really good story! So first off the artwork is beautiful! Every page looks outstanding and there were some single panel pages that were amazingly done, well done Jim Lee! The story is a little harder to talk about, this kinda feels like Batman Eternal, because of the main plot and all the different sub plots, one of the sub plots being one which explores Batman and Catwoman's relationship which was good! The Main story is hard to talk about, one of its flaws is that it does jum ...more
Daniel
Jul 25, 2012 Daniel rated it did not like it
I like a few Batman books, but I'm not a hardcore superhero fan, so stories like "Hush" that inhabit a Batverse steeped in deaths, resurrections, and plots I'm not familiar with aren't really going to connect with me. Additionally, I found the book to be a little light on good story and heavy on "Hey, we should draw that woman bent over because why not." After reading a pair of Batman books by Neil Gaiman and Darwyn Cooke, this was a letdown. It felt like going from Martin Scorsese to Michael Ba ...more
Marla Haasz
2.5/5

I wanted to like this more than I did, but the only interest I had was when Harley Quinn and The Joker had their moments, and when Catwoman was fighting Poison Ivy and Huntress. Towards the last half, I didn't even read Bruce's thought bubbles but instead just skimmed the speech bubbles.

Also, I cannot and will not ever get over this art that gratuitously amplifies womens... assets, even when physics shouldn't allow it.
Kemper
Nov 29, 2008 Kemper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, superhero
One of the best Batman stories ever done.
Callista
First, allow me to confess that this is only the second Batman (or DC, for that matter) book I've read. Which means that my previous knowledge of characters came mainly from films (I haven't seen them all), secondary references, discussions with fans, and Wikipedia. But despite that, I didn't feel lost. The writer did a good job incorporating enough tidbits from the long DC history into the story that what was going on made sense.
Not having read a lot of this stuff, I don't know if the kitchen-
Akie
Feb 03, 2010 Akie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Absolute editions of graphic novels are well worth their high price tag. The art is better, the colors lusher, & the extras give people who like to take things apart to see how they work (I am definitely in this number) a long, lingering glance at the artistic process of creating a piece of art. Jeph Loeb is one of my favorite Batman writers, & the art in this is a step up from his other with Tim Sale (Haunted Knight, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, When In Rome). The plot is a mas ...more
Nick Kives
Nov 17, 2011 Nick Kives rated it liked it
Great premise, but poor execution. I was enjoying this a lot till about the last chapter and half. Take 12 chapters for the big reveal but no real explanation of how he figured out who Batman was, or even more remote, how Harold was connected. No real motivation for his hatred of Bats either. I enjoy some of Jeph Loeb's work, but this wasn't up there, but Jim Lee's art is impressive despite the change to Huntress' costume. This is the series that Lee drew the iconic pose of Batman standing on to ...more
Jolene Haack
Nov 30, 2011 Jolene Haack rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 100-2011
Normally, I blast through graphic novels. They only take twenty minutes or so to read so I don't waste time.

With this one, I couldn't bring myself to rush through it. The story was incredible. The writing was incredible. The art was incredible.

I'm growing to LOVE Jeph Loeb. And I'm realizing now how many TPBs I've read and loved that he wrote and I never realized it.
Darren
Sep 26, 2015 Darren rated it really liked it
I'm a little bit torn about how I want to rate this title.

On the one hand, the vibrancy and detail of Lee's artwork (and colouring) really is top notch. Reminds me of how Ms. Staples' creativity struck me in the Saga, series; see more here: Saga, Volume 4

One the other, Loeb's writing is definitely complex - something I look for in a story, especially one with multiple threads and arcs. It's dark, gritty and definitely comes with a high emotional quotient; like Miller's writing in Batman: Year O
CJ - So, you wanna play with magic?
Awesome. I love Catwoman so anything with her is immediately a three star and then in throw in Batman's internal issues, Hush's ability to be one of the worst yet one of the best villians in awhile made this book worth it for plot and dialogue.

Not to mention that the art is perfect and well-done.
Azim Durrani
Aug 22, 2015 Azim Durrani rated it really liked it
4 stars . Reading most of the reviews here i went in with pretty low expectations. Maybe thats why I loved it so much . It was a good Detective story. Had a number of good twists in it. But most of all what stands out it here was the artwork. Jim Lee really knows how to make a book shine.
For a book named Hush he really doesnt get much screen time here. Most of what intrigued me midway through the book was when Batman finally breaks.
This was a good character study into batman's relationships. Th
  • Batman: Gates of Gotham
  • Batman: Battle for the Cowl
  • Batman R.I.P.
  • Red Robin, Volume 2: Collision
  • JLA, Vol. 7: Tower of Babel
Joseph "Jeph" Loeb III is an Emmy and WGA nominated American film and television writer, producer and award-winning comic book writer. Loeb was a Co-Executive Producer on the NBC hit show Heroes, and formerly a producer/writer on the TV series Smallville and Lost.

A four-time Eisner Award winner and five-time Wizard Fan Awards winner (see below), Loeb's comic book career includes work on many major
More about Jeph Loeb...