Start by marking “Wild Horse Mesa” as Want to Read:
Wild Horse Mesa

Wild Horse Mesa

Countless wranglers had failed to capture the stallion known as Panquitch, but there were still men determined to put a rope over his proud head. But no man could know that a brave and beatiful woman would decide the fate of the great horse!
Published January 1st 1983 by Pocket Books (first published 1924)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Horse Mesa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Horse Mesa

Jeff
Jun 21, 2008 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's how I got the book...
The orthodontist office is a quarter-circular high vaulted room with 5 chairs right next to each other. The inner walls have huge walnut book shelves decorated with all the cosmetic trimmings of the well to do. It's very impressive. The parents sit along the outer wall and watch the action. I was reading Sackett by Louis L'Amour while Mitch was having his braces tightened for the last time. The Ortho saw what I was reading and asked if I liked it. How do I tell him t
Stefaniab
"Wild Horse Mesa" is one of Grey's "lesser" books, but still an enjoyable read. It's a bit of a redo of the distinctly downbeat horse story, "Wildfire." In the latter book, the horse of the title meets a sad end, and the obligatory romantic couple, though together, are in a state of post-traumatic stress--which didn't exist in the early twentieth century. (wink!)

In "Wild Horse Mesa," the tone is distinctly more upbeat, not that this tale doesn't have some gut-wrenching moments. The wild stallion
Rich
I love westerns and this one had some excellent description of the area where the 'action' took place. But I wouldn't say there was really that much action.
Not a book I will keep to read again, nor will recommend it to 'western' fans. It's more a romance (not my cup of tea) than a 'real western'.
It did offer some education about wild house catching though.
Victoria
I haven't read this book -- but my dad loves Western novels. Growing up as I kid I never saw him without one in his hand or nearby. I went to a used bookstore and found a first addition print of this book with an inscription date of "1930" that someone dated as a gift presentation on the front inside page. Anyway, I though it would make a cool Christmas gift for him. I only spent $3 on the book. I've since been researching online about it and have discovered first print mint additions are sellin ...more
Suzanne
Aug 21, 2013 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the first ever Zane Grey I've read. I started it out of desperation while sitting at a Swap Meet (forgot my book), and my husband had a box of Zane Grey's for sale. I really enjoyed it. Pretty funny, because I remember my dad reading these and I never even thought about trying them myself. Hmm - maybe we need to wait till next summer to sell that box of books.
Bernie
May 21, 2008 Bernie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Zane Grey romance-western. I especially loved it because it took place in southern Utah near the Kaiparowits Plateau. The imagery is wonderful and the story is great.
Eric Chambala
Sep 04, 2014 Eric Chambala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading it. It was not as exciting as some westerns but the story was extremely captivating.
Justin Frodge
Mar 07, 2012 Justin Frodge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think thid book is great. Its about a man and his talents with catching wild horses.
Douglas
Douglas rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2011
Virginia Boylan
Virginia Boylan rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2013
M.J.D.
M.J.D. rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2015
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2008
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2009
D. J.
D. J. rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2012
Joan
Joan rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2012
Maria
Maria rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2010
Nita
Nita rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
P
P rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2012
Juliet L
Juliet L rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2013
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2012
Dee
Dee rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2012
Ruphus
Ruphus rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2010
Russ Szelag
Russ Szelag rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2011
Kathleen Crowell
Kathleen Crowell rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2011
Cherry
Cherry rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2009
Jeanne
Jeanne rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2008
Bob Brown
Bob Brown rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Lonigan
  • The Poets' Corner: The One-and-Only Poetry Book for the Whole Family
  • Showdown At Yellow Butte
  • A Bright and Guilty Place: Murder, Corruption, and L.A.'s Scandalous Coming of Age
  • Jock of the Bushveld
Pearl Zane Grey was an American author best known for his popular adventure novels and stories that presented an idealized image of the rugged Old West. As of June 2007, the Internet Movie Database credits Grey with 110 films, one TV episode, and a series, Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater based loosely on his novels and short stories.
More about Zane Grey...