Start by marking “The Last of His Kind: The Life and Adventures of Bradford Washburn, America's Boldest Mountaineer” as Want to Read:

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  20 reviews
American Brad Washburn had an impact on his protégés and imitators as profound as that of any other adventurer in the twentieth century. Unquestionably regarded as the greatest mountaineer in Alaskan history and as one of the finest mountain photographers of all time, Washburn transformed American attitudes toward wilderness and revolutionized the art of mountaineering and ...more
Published June 16th 2009 by William Morrow (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Last of His Kind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last of His Kind

Will Byrnes
The Last of his Kind is an eminently readable bio of a remarkable character. Not only was Bradford Washington arguably the greatest mountaineer of his age, a man who bagged more than a fistful of firsts and who revolutionized climbing techniques, he was an accomplished nature photographer, whose work shooting mountains from an open-door airplane remains the best of its sort. In addition, he was asked to take over a sclerotic natural history museum and transformed it into the Boston Museum of Sci ...more
Amerynth
David Roberts is really one of my favorite climber-authors, but I have to say I was a bit disappointed with "The Last of His Kind: The Life and Adventures of Bradford Washburn, America's Boldest Mountaineer." I think Roberts' close friendship with Washburn got in the way of writing a truly marvelous book.

I found it strange that I read so much mountaineering history about the Himalayas when Washburn himself never actually climbed there (though he took some terrific pictures of Everest by plane wh
Chris
An interesting and entertaining read about a fixture in American mountaineering. The book felt hastily put together with lax editing and a good bit of repetition. It should have been a great read, but instead was merely o.k.
Keith Abramo
This book was truly inspirational. Every time I picked it up I found myself only wanting to put it down to climb a mountain. However, the book could have concentrated more on Brad's adventures instead of spending pages on the intricacies to how he set up his camera. Also, many of the stories in this book are about other parties who mad accents of which Brad was not even a part of. Lastly, the tai end of the book seems to cram in a lot of details which took most evolation build up by Brad's adven ...more
Tony
I enjoy real life adventure biographies. Bradford Washburn was the premiere climber, mountain photographer, and cartographer for the major mountains in Alaska. Most of his exploits took place in the 1930's. It's interesting to see what he accomplished with the "primitive" technology available at the time. He passed away in 2008 and was active in these areas until the end of his life. Nearly done with the book.

I'm done now. It was a good read and will share with my hiking and mountaineering frien
Beau Smith
Even if you are not into the outdoors, mountaineering , or adventure you will enjoy this incredible bio on Brad Washburn, one of THE innovators and most respected mountaineers ever.

Author David Roberts does a wonderful job in letting the reader know what Brad Washburn is all about with a life history that is rich and and filled with adventure that you just don't get anymore. Wonderful photos fill the book. What a life, what a history!

Beau Smith
The Flying Fist Ranch
Brian
This is a biography of an Alaskan Mountaineering Pioneer and one of the greatest nature photographers ever, and it's written by my favorite climbing writer. Unfortunately, it's a bit more geeky of a climbing history than I would have liked (to introduce his climbing partners for a particular expedition, Roberts would then describe the climbing histories of each expedition member and it would get rather lengthy and off-topic). Anywho, enjoyable book, but not the greatest.
Jesse
I read a lot of these mountain adventure books and this is one of my favorite. It's my favorite because it tells the story of a sucessful, balanced adventurer who was a mentor, leader, and who lived into his late nineties. Many of these books are about Achille's heels and pride goeth before the fall so it's nice to read something different. I've read it twice now and will likely read again.
Elaine Burnes
While the writing is somewhat repetitive and you have to take into account that the author was friends with his subject, this was a terrific read. And Barbara Washburn is a hoot! I've long enjoyed Brad's photography, so reading about how self-taught he was and how little he cared about learning techniques (even though he was friends with Ansel Adams) was remarkable.
Michelle
We have some original Brad Washburn photos of the White Mts. hanging in our ski house in NH, which he apparently frequented back in the day. So, I had to learn a bit more about this man, and this book was a great appreciation of his myriad skills and pretty incredible legacy. They don't make renaissance men like him anymore.
Cavuoto Cavuoto
Considering Washburn is of my favorite mountaineers and mountain photographers, I was very disappointed at Roberts' portrayal of him. I put the book down before my perception of this guy was further sullied. At least the photos were pretty cool.
Beth
Mar 23, 2011 Beth rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I really enjoyed reading about the adventures of Brad Washburn. The one section that I didn't like related to the personal troubles of the Washburn children. This bit should have been left out of the book.
Angela Gritton
I received this book from the goodreads giveaway. I was a little disappointed in much of the book focusing on things unrelated to the subject. The parts that weren't definitely held my interest.
Chrissie
It was summer. I wanted to read about something cold.

Also, Bradford Washburn is my hero. If only for what he did with the Museum of Science in Boston.
Marian
An informative book about one of America's mountaineering pioneers. Very inspirational and entertaining.
Cherie
Fun to read about this mountaineer who put up first ascents in Alaska.
Donald
A fascinating read of a remarkable man and life.
Rachel Bailey
Eh. It was alright.
Linda
Mountaineering history.
Bob Peru
brad washburn. hero.
Kristi YuzzFuzz
Kristi YuzzFuzz marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Rob Pogorek
Rob Pogorek is currently reading it
Oct 21, 2014
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Gary
Gary added it
Jun 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Boys of Everest: Chris Bonington and the Tragedy of Climbing's Greatest Generation
  • K2: Triumph and Tragedy
  • The Lost Explorer: Finding Mallory on Mt. Everest
  • The Last Man on the Mountain: The Death of an American Adventurer on K2
  • View from the Summit: The Remarkable Memoir by the First Person to Conquer Everest
  • The Will to Climb: Obsession and Commitment and the Quest to Climb Annapurna--the World's Deadliest Peak
  • Minus 148 Degrees
  • Everest: The West Ridge
  • Everest 1953: The Epic Story of the First Ascent
  • One Mountain Thousand Summits: The Untold Story Tragedy and True Heroism on K2
  • The White Spider
  • K2, The Savage Mountain: The Classic True Story of Disaster and Survival on the World's Second Highest Mountain
  • Everest: Expedition to the Ultimate
  • The Vast Unknown: America's First Ascent of Everest
  • A First Rate Tragedy: Robert Falcon Scott and the Race to the South Pole
  • Ghosts of Everest: The Search for Mallory & Irvine
  • Climbing High: A Woman's Account of Surviving the Everest Tragedy
  • Race to the Pole: Tragedy, Heroism, and Scott's Antarctic Quest
See this thread for more information.

David Roberts is the author of seventeen books on mountaineering, adventure, and the history of the American Southwest. His essays and articles have appeared in National Geographic, National Geographic Adventure, and The Atlantic Monthly, among other publications. He lives i
More about David Roberts...
Finding Everett Ruess: The Life and Unsolved Disappearance of a Legendary Wilderness Explorer Alone on the Ice: The Greatest Survival Story in the History of Exploration In Search of the Old Ones On the Ridge Between Life and Death: A Climbing Life Reexamined Devil's Gate: Brigham Young and the Great Mormon Handcart Tragedy