Start by marking “The Man from Pomegranate Street (The Roman Mysteries, #17)” as Want to Read:
The Man from Pomegranate Street (The Roman Mysteries, #17)

The Man from Pomegranate Street (The Roman Mysteries #17)

September AD 81. Returning from Ephesus to Rome, Flavia and her friends learn of the mysterious and sudden death of the Emperor Titus. Was his death natural? Or was it murder? As the four detectives investigate this mystery, they little dream how much their lives—as well as the future of Italia—will be changed as a result. At last, many of the questions Roman Mysteries fan ...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Orion Children's Books (first published June 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Man from Pomegranate Street, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
coffee
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Rebecca
Oct 24, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
In this conclusion to the Roman Mysteries series, Flavia and her friends return to Rome in AD 81 to learn of the death of Emperor Titus. The death occurred under mysterious circumstances, and many wonder if Titus truly died of natural causes, or if he was assassinated by one of his many enemies.

This is the biggest mystery yet for Flavia, Jonathan, Nubia, and Lupus, but they are determined to solve it, hoping that doing so will clear their names with the new emperor, Domitian, who is Titus’s brot
Emma Wallace
Mar 29, 2016 Emma Wallace rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
AGGHHHHHHHHHHH I AM NEVER GOING TO RECOVER WHAT IS LIFE WHY IS IT OVERRRRRRR THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE AN ARTICULATE REVIEW AT ALLLLL BUT OHHHHH WELLLL I AM AN EMOTIONALLY UNSTABLE 18 YEAR OLD OBSESSED WITH MIDDLE GRADE LITERATURE AND AM GOING TO FIGHT ANYONE CHILD OR ADULT WHO DISPUTES CAROLINE LAWRENCE'S MAGNIFICENCE THIS FINALE WAS AMAZING EVERYONE WHO IS EVERYONE WAS IN IT THAT ENDING WHERE EVERYONE SAID GOODBYE GOT ME GOING I AM STILL NOT RECOVERED THAT ENDING FLACCIA NUBISTO THAT FRIGGING EN ...more
Rebecca- Books
Jul 25, 2011 Rebecca- Books rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Magdalen Dobson
Sep 23, 2011 Magdalen Dobson rated it it was ok
Lawrence really seems to lose her inspiration in the last few books of this series. The first fourteen were really great, but the last ones take off on a weird tangent and kind of mess things up. However, I really did love most of the series, so I'm definitely willing to give her another try when her next book comes out.
Rachel
May 06, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing
awesome
sabisteb
Mar 11, 2011 sabisteb rated it it was amazing
Dieser letzte Band der "Roman Myteries" beginnt ungewöhnlich. Drei Jahre sind seit dem letzten Abenteuer vergangen und Falvia Gemina bereitet sich auf ihre Hochzeit vor!
Während dieser letzten Vorbereitungen erzählt sie den Anwesenden von ihrem letzten Abenteuer, das dazu führte, dass sie ihr Leben als Detektivin aufgab.
Das letzte Abenteuer beginnt an einem heißen Nachmittag in Ostia, am 13. September 81 nach Chistus.
Falvia fasst S. 186 recht gut zusammen, wie dieses Dilemma zustande kam, in dem
Mara
Cover Blurb: The wolf on the cover doesn’t make much sense until you start reading the story itself. I like the color backdrop, but out of the many covers, it’s just not my favorite. No particular reason; it just isn’t.

What I Liked: As always, I love Nubia’s character, and I liked how twisty-turny the mystery was. At times, I exclaimed in dismay when something was “revealed” because it, at first, seemed like a lame explanation. But then it turned out that that isn’t what happened at all, and thi
Hannah
May 24, 2011 Hannah added it
Shelves: crappy-endings
I hated the last two books in the series. The first fourteen were some of the best I've ever read, but the last few weren't anywhere near as good. I think that the ending was rushed. It doesn't help it that the whole series takes place through about two years. Too much happened in the last book for it to make an impact on the reader and not sound like the author wrote herself into a corner, which I think she did. I thought that it was rather lame that pretty much everybody but Flavia became Chri ...more
Susannah
Ujwals
Jan 03, 2014 Ujwals rated it it was amazing
An amazing book! A great finish, and I am not one bit disappointed. All the questions are answered in this book. I t has a great plot, twists, action, and more. Perfect ending, and sum up. And, the author managed to squeeze in a mystery while wrapping up the series. Great connections, that make you go "Aaah, I get it". I don't like how the author dropped so many characters, but at least she didn't leave any loose ends. The author dramatizes the ending very well by creating many choices, and desc ...more
Vicki Cline
Sep 22, 2012 Vicki Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: roman-mysteries
This is the 17th, and last, book of the series. The four friends are back in Italy, even though there's a reward for their capture. Emperor Titus has died suspiciously and they try to figure out who did it. All but one of the on-going plot threads in the series are resolved and it's a more or less happy ending for everyone. This was an excellent series, which reads like sections of a very long book. Although it's written for young people (probably 10-14), it really held this adult's interest. I' ...more
Diana Sandberg
May 25, 2012 Diana Sandberg rated it it was amazing
I read The Prophet from Ephesus and this one in quick succession, the final two volumes in the 17-volume series. Lawrence manages to keep a certain excitement and suspense going, even while a large part of these last stories is concerned with tying up all the loose ends. I was wary of the Christian element of these tales when I began the series, but she always kept it real and appropriate to the period. The Christian element takes a notably larger place at the end here, but I still didn’t feel p ...more
Nathalie
Dec 06, 2009 Nathalie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: latin-classroom
Finished this last one in the series all too quickly... I've waited so long to be done with this series, and now that I am, I'm very sad. I've enjoyed the adventures of Flavia entirely.

I was particularly glad that Jonathan was absent from more than half the book, and of course, I was thrilled with the ending - Flavia marries the man of her dreams.

It was fun to review all the Roman mythology, geography, history, etc., which was so deftly woven throughout these books. Great job!
Sofia
Feb 16, 2012 Sofia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
[SPOILER WARNING] The Man from Pomegranate Street was such a perfect end to an amazing book series. It starts off with Flavia's wedding, and then goes into a flashback... it's such a beautiful book, it's so well-written and makes you laugh at some points then want to burst into tears. The ending is so perfect, so right, but still unexpected. I can't believe she marries Floppy!
Chroniclesoftania
Oct 11, 2014 Chroniclesoftania rated it it was amazing
This is the last book in the series of seventeen books where the characters come into danger with their lives, live in exile in Egypt, grow up and two very young characters get married. There is plenty of action in this book with journeys, rescues, relationship entanglements. Definitely worth a read.
Tchipakkan
Jun 14, 2015 Tchipakkan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Bittersweet- so sad that the series is over, but the ending was good. So depressing.
Can't put much because of spoilers. Still, while I know that Romans married younger, and I don't find it at all unreasonable for 10-13 year old girls to fall in love, I am still dubious about the idea of girls that young getting married.
Mrs. Roy
Dec 06, 2009 Mrs. Roy rated it it was amazing
I've waited so long to finish this series, and now that I'm almost there, I'm very sad. I've enjoyed the adventures of Flavia, Lupus, Nubia, and Jonathan.

I'll just say this...if Flavia doesn't marry Flaccus, I'll be SOME mad!
Brett
Apr 25, 2010 Brett rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-mystery
A generally good ending to a very strong, enjoyable series. I only had one or two things I wanted explained or resolved further.
Jul 18, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
True Rating: 4.5 stars.

An excellent conclusion to the series. Exciting, suspenseful, and as always with one of these mysteries, steeped in the atmosphere of ancient Rome.
Deeps
Apr 23, 2016 Deeps rated it it was amazing
TOO MANY FEELINGS

Let's just say I reeeeally wouldn't mind if I was either Nubia or Flavia after reading that book...

My only regret? That I've finished the series :/
Elowyn
Mar 14, 2013 Elowyn rated it it was amazing
I've read every book in the series since I was eight. I'm halfway through them for the fifth time. They are just so good!!!! I would definitely recommend reading them.
Emma
Emma rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2012
Jess
Jess rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2011
Rosario
I loved it, amazing! Keeps you guessing until the end!
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2013
Lael
Lael rated it did not like it
Jan 20, 2016
Killer Kinley
Killer Kinley rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2010
Alina Litvinova
Alina Litvinova rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2014
Nick Knapik
Nick Knapik rated it liked it
May 12, 2015
Dragos
Dragos rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2014
  • Loot (Lady Grace Mysteries, #12)
  • Cat's Cradle (Cat Royal, #6)
  • Cambridge Latin Course, Unit 1
  • The Medici Curse
  • The Curse of the Viking Grave
  • The Great Plague: The Diary of Alice Paynton, London, 1665-1666
  • A Samurai Never Fears Death (Samurai Detective, #5)
  • Tiger Lily Gold (Silk Sisters, #3)
  • Princess Alice and the Glass Slipper (The Tiara Club at Silver Towers, #4)
  • Smuggler's Kiss
Caroline Lawrence won a scholarship to Cambridge to read Classical Archaeology, then did a degree in Hebrew and Jewish studies at University College London. She now lives in London with her English husband and teaches Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Art and French to children.

Series:
* Roman Mysteries
Western Mysteries
More about Caroline Lawrence...

The Roman Mysteries (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Thieves of Ostia (Roman Mysteries, #1)
  • The Secrets of Vesuvius (Roman Mysteries, #2)
  • The Pirates of Pompeii (Roman Mysteries, #3)
  • The Assassins of Rome (Roman Mysteries, #4)
  • The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries, #5)
  • The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina (The Roman Mysteries, #6)
  • The Enemies of Jupiter (The Roman Mysteries, #7)
  • The Gladiators from Capua (The Roman Mysteries, #8)
  • The Colossus of Rhodes (Roman Mysteries, #9)
  • The Fugitive from Corinth (The Roman Mysteries, #10)