Start by marking “Kingdom of Ten Thousand Things: An Impossible Journey from Kabul to Chiapas” as Want to Read:
Kingdom of Ten Thousand Things: An Impossible Journey from Kabul to Chiapas

Kingdom of Ten Thousand Things: An Impossible Journey from Kabul to Chiapas

Inspired by the legend of a 5th-century Buddhist monk who crossed the Pacificand visited the Americas, Gary Geddes set out on a journey that took him fromKingdom of Ten Thousand Things takes itstitle from a Chinese term for the scope and wonders of life—full of adventure,philosophy and excitement. Compelling and richly comic, this is the nationallybestselling story of a re ...more
Published February 15th 2005 by HarperCollins Canada

To ask other readers questions about Kingdom of Ten Thousand Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kingdom of Ten Thousand Things

Bettie☯

Bought in The Works, Princess Street, Edinburgh. My bookmark for this journey is of the Spanish Steps, Rome, sent through by Hayes - thankee.

Prelude opening: "KABUL? You've got to be kidding." Kim, my local grocer, was brandishing the single banana from my pile of groceries as if it were a revolver about to be aimed at my head.

"Yes, I'm leaving for Afghanistan. Next week." Then, as a dubious consolation, I added, "Via Pakistan."

Opening quotes:

What surrounds us, here and now, is not guaranteed. I
kellyn
Feb 02, 2008 kellyn marked it as saving-for-later  ·  review of another edition
found this on the sale table at B and N and hope it turns out to be as good as it looks! These kinds of 'half-way around the world' journeys make you feel like there's a whole world out there that hasn't been discovered or mapped yet. I hope it's as good as it looks.
Aaron
Aug 09, 2011 Aaron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Initially, I thought this book was a fictionalized version of a legend about a Buddhist monk traveling from Afghanistan to America centuries before the birth of Jesus. However, it ended up being a travelogue, with the author tracing the route of the monk in search of any evidence that points to the truth of the legend.

Starting in Afghanistan just before 9/11, the author travels through Pakistan and into China; from China, he takes passage aboard a freighter to simulate the monk's (named Huishen)
Jen
Oct 31, 2011 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think it was an interesting book, but some parts were a bit too much TMI. He came across as a randy old goat for some of it and I feel that him putting words into the monk Huisien's mouth, especially the randy old goat parts, was unnecessary, uncalled for and was not respectful to the memory of the monk.

The historical parts and his descriptions of the places he traveled to were interesting and I wish he had focused on that more. Despite all of his research into the past, he didn't seem to both
Mommalibrarian
"Stepping off the ship in Vancouver, I had been suddenly overcome by the impossibility of my project . . . I had reached a point at which I doubted I would ever write the book he and his legend hinted at." p.315

I could have told the author this after 50 pages (to pick a random number). This author appears to have benefited from a very indulgent publisher. The entire tract consists of hints as to what is fully explained in other books by other authors (their works are cited) and trivia about the
Coleen Dailey
THis book did not in my opinion live up to its potential. I was looking forward to the story of tracing the route of a 5th century Bhuddist monk from Afghanistan to the AMericas. There was very little about the monk 0 due in part to the fact that there is very little written about him, but even the travelogue was disappointing since the author never really got to see many of the archaeological things he wanted to see because he always arrived somewhere after things were closed or there was a hol ...more
Natalia
Feb 09, 2011 Natalia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Matthew
A wonderful narrative and travelogue. I would catewrgorize it more as an adventure than just travel book though. A little wordy and digressive at times but you can move through those parts.
Joanne
Jan 08, 2011 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting examination of a Afghan/Chinese monk who likely arrived in NA long before Columbus. Worth a look.
Sara
Jan 15, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating journey - beautiful imagery - interesting stories - good writing. What more could one ask for in a travel memoir?
Melissa
so far interesting... learned about the delirium drinking foreign waters can induce. :)
got boring and painful to finish.
Musings From A(Broad)
Musings From A(Broad) rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2009
Margie Kollbocker
Margie Kollbocker rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2010
Peachtree Street
Peachtree Street rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2010
Wes F
Wes F rated it it was ok
Nov 09, 2009
Ben
Ben rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2011
Nightocelot
Nightocelot rated it did not like it
Mar 16, 2016
Kiana
Kiana rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2012
Laura rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2014
Mohd Raslan
Mohd Raslan rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2017
Tony Speakman
Tony Speakman rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2015
Aadrial
Aadrial rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Richard Coxford
Richard Coxford rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2013
Zoe Friloux
Zoe Friloux rated it it was ok
Nov 30, 2015
Bob
Bob rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2009
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2009
Robert
Robert rated it did not like it
Aug 03, 2015