Start by marking “Vinyl Junkies: Adventures in Record Collecting” as Want to Read:
Vinyl Junkies: Adventures in Record Collecting

Vinyl Junkies: Adventures in Record Collecting

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  364 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Not too far away from the flea markets, dusty attics, cluttered used record stores and Ebay is the world of the vinyl junkies. Brett Milano dives deep into the piles of old vinyl to uncover the subculture of record collecting. A vinyl junkie is not the person who has a few old 45s shoved in the cuboard from their days in high school. Vinyl Junkies are the people who will t ...more
Published November 10th 2003 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Vinyl Junkies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vinyl Junkies

Bill
very interesting book about the collecting mania in general, and collecting vinyl records in particular. with some interesting interviews with musicians who are record collectors...peter woolf, peter buck of r.e.m. etc. and one guy who has a separate building to house his 100,000 records!

personally, i think you are either born a collector or not. i've been collecting things since i was a little kid...started off with bottle caps and matchbooks, both of which cost nothing, but was still a lot of
Tosh
Obsessions really tells what a person is, and there is nothing more beautiful than a person who collects books or in this case vinyl. Not CD's mind you, but the beautifully designed object that is known as a vinyl record. The anticipation of going to a record store or even a yard sale that has a stack of 12" LP''s or for that matter a pile of 45rpm singles is a series of blissful moments. Brett Milano's "Vinyl Junkies" covers the actual feeling while profiling the collector and their special nee ...more
Ed Wagemann

Vinyl Junkies
While doing research for “Who’s Who In Rockism”, the name Brett Milano kept popping up. Milano is a music journalist for the College Music Journal, the Boston Herald and the Boston Phoenix. I first came upon the writing of Brett Milano years ago while reading the liner notes of a Rhino records CD called The Very Best of Todd Rundgren (circa 1997) but it is Milano’s 2003 Vinyl Junkies that seems to be his calling card in any detailed discussion of Rockism. Even though I don’t rememb
Vanessa
This book reminded me a bit of The Orchid Thief: A True Story of Beauty and Obsession in that it's a tale of collecting fever made accessible, understandable and readable. Brett Milano, a Boston music journalist, is unlike Susan Orlean because he gets the urge all too well.

Milano captures so many things here: the thrill of the hunt, the passion for any kind of music outside the mainstream (generally the more esoteric the better although one collector is hopelessly devoted to obsessed with Olivia
Charles McEnerney
I reread this as I was editing my interview with Eli "Paperboy" Reed for Well-Rounded Radio as he is a bit of a vinyl junkie as well. As someone who buys A LOT of music, but doesn't necessarily care that much about the format it's on (unless it's a really crappy mp3), it's interesting to read this book and try and find that line between having to have the music vs. having to have a collectible item. I will admit I've done the same for certain artists, but this is something of a psychological st ...more
Jason
Actually a really good book inside the mind of a vinyl hoarder, oops, I mean collector. Great amusing stories of like minded folks with the passion for all things vinyl. I didn't want it to end. It was very well written and amusing.

This book is terrific. The author looks at record collecting from every possible angle -- from the Freudian aspects of the drive to the possible reasons why collectors have trouble finding girls. It's full of wonderful interviews with the famous -- Peter Wolff, Peter
Stephanie
i like this a helluva lot (though it is making me feel like the one female in the world who collects records, which i know isn't true). anyone who's ever collected anything is likely to love this, actually.
Phil Wilkins
This book is about, record collectors, the act of record collecting and the general love for music both mainstream, obscure and just down right freaky. For the music fan this is Mills & Boon reading. For those related or taken on the challenge of a partner who is a record collector an insight into the mind of your loved one.

The books tries to explain the passion of collecting from many different perspectives, through the eyes of collectors (some famous - like Peter Buck (of REM fame), Robert
Mouse
I'm not sure I'm going to be able to finish this book, as I feel insulted by the author's regard to the female vinyl collector. We do indeed exist.
Koozebane
4.5 stars, read for the #paperbacksummer challenge.

While the book does get into the obsessive and competitive aspects of record collecting, I appreciate that the main focus is love of the music. The tendency to call record collecting a male pastime is annoying, though Milano does interview several female collectors (even if they're somehow portrayed as less hardcore). It's fun to see cool musicians pop up every few pages, and I have to give the guy credit for discussing songs and albums that e

Dan
Brett Milano talks to a lot of vinyl collectors about their tactics, passions and favorite memories as they criss cross the world looking for rare singles, LPs and 78s. Anyone who's wondered how or why someone would pay top dollar for that one punk single from the 70s from that one band that only released that one great album before breaking up should read this book.
Bob O'bannon
If you've seen the TV show "Hoarders," you get the basic idea of this book, which is a series of anecdotes about and interviews with rabid music collectors -- most of whom are just regular Joes, but some of whom are as famous as former REM guitarist Peter Buck. Buck is so devoted to collecting other artists' music that he claims he doesn't even recognize some of the REM rarities brought to him by fans. Some of the stories here are kind of sad, in that they showcase people who are addicted to rec ...more
Joshua
Highly geeky book about some of the ultimate geeks or nerds or what have you--vinyl record collectors. These guys (women seemingly need not apply for this as the writer can only find one to write about) are on a higher level. This was enjoyable but the discussion of ultra rare blues/jazz 78s was sometimes lost on me as I have no clue who the artists were. I enjoyed the rock related people more. I did see myself in this a bit as over the years I've owned well over 5,000 vinyl, cassettes and cds.. ...more
Shanna
Some of the chapters were pretty interesting, while others tended to lag. At first, I scoffed at the collectors who spent thousands of dollars on music they never intended to listen to. And the collectors that already owned the music on CD, but needed to own the vinyl. Then I thought about my own book collecting habits and realized that, other than the fact that I am not willing to drop a grand on Oscar Wilde, we are not all that different. I collect books the in the same fashion. And the author ...more
Carey
#1 thing I learned from this book was that my fellow female record collecting friends and I don't exist, so that was pretty cool. -________________-
Kevin Summers
This book catalogs interviews and activities of some absolutely obsessed collectors of records (the so-called "vinyl junkies"). If you are like me (i.e. you occasionally stop by the local shops to scrounge the clearance bins for dollar records by bands from the 70's and 80's), then this book is not about you.

Sample quote: "Love for the music, love for the artifact, the thrill of the chase: those are the three elements that turn a garden-variety music lover into a vinyl junkie."
P.e.
This book I really enjoyed, then again I have every three dog night record including one made in Japan. I of course think this is cool just like finding a mono instead of stero. Now I am on to the first pressings of the records I like. Don't come close to the # these people have but I do have 50's org 45's cann't beat those do whop groups or Fat's. Blues are hard to find, like it said in the book. For me a good read for anyone into vinyl.
Stephanie
Not a complete review just something that I still believe:

Page 27: "What really got me was the smell of the records. I grew up with--maybe it was the pressing plant they used, for some reason records on the Casablanca label had a smell that blew our minds- when you smell that, it brings you right back to childhood."

Roger Manning from Jellyfish*
I love Jellyfish!
Jeanette
I really enjoyed this book. I found it quite interesting to read about different people and their collections and the different ways that everyone handles their vinyl obsession :) It definitely made me feel better about my own fixation on collecting to read about people who have taken it way farther than I have. Very interesting and entertaining. Every record collector should read this!
Brent Irvine
I am a die hard Vinyl fan, and this offers a unique view into record collecting from the collector viewpoint. I thought I was a record collector, but honestly these guys are so far off the deep end compared to where we are, we're mostly just music lovers by comparison.

The chapter on "weird records" is worth the price of the whole book!
Alan
Oct 15, 2007 Alan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: The Afflicted
Recommended to this music addict by someone similarly afflicted. Written by a journalist with the disease, granting great insight into the condition from interviews with Jeff Connolly (Monoman), Peter Wolf, Peter Buck, and examinations of individuals eccentric often beyond the wildest fancy of the best songwriter.
Jason
this book was great...there were times in my life where hunting down vinyl was my foremost daily activity...it was so nice to read about people with like obsessions....

music is so incredibly meaningful and important, books like this make me understand that it's ok to really believe that...
Mike Balsom
As someone who has been collecting vinyl for almost 40 years, this book allowed me to feel a bit better about my obsession! Some very interesting characters are introduced here, many of whom have a much deeper obsession than my own! Humorous and well-written, by a vinyl junky himself!
Rudi
A quick, very fun, and poorly-written read. I'm not sure if this would appeal only to vinyl enthusiasts, but it certainly helps. Most likely though, if you've collected anything in your lifetime, you'll enjoy the stories of crate-diggers and 78 hunters.
Matthias
i should love it, but I guess self-hatred kicks in when it comes to the smell of certain vinyl labels or why "sammy squirrel teaches the multiplication tabel" is one of the most disturbing records ever.
Michael D
A genial ode to the black platter. Many amusing characters and tales here on intense music fandom and well worth a read if you have an obsessive trait. (you are not as bad as these guys...)
Mark Fehr
Quality read, helps explains some of the reasons behind why people collect, lots of amazing tales of great finds and gives a great overview of the greatness which is wax.
Hiland
Mar 24, 2008 Hiland rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: record collectors, packrats
This is a great great book for people who tend to save an endless amount of crap. After reading this it made me want to get rid of a of a lot of that crap. so i sold the book.
Joe Ehrbar
This is not the book you want to read if you're trying to curtail your record hording/shopping activities. Quite an enjoyable book -- even for the non-collector.
Monte
This book helped to justify, explain, and rationalize my obsessive cd/record collecting habit of the past 20 years.
  • Mix Tape: The Art of Cassette Culture
  • The Rock Snob's Dictionary: An Essential Lexicon of Rockological Knowledge
  • Endtroducing.....
  • Songs in the Key of Z: The Curious Universe of Outsider Music
  • Record Store Days: From Vinyl to Digital and Back Again
  • In Utero
  • Facing the Other Way: The Story of 4AD
  • Guitar Man: A Six-String Odyssey, or, You Love that Guitar More than You Love Me
  • Japrocksampler: How the Post-War Japanese Blew Their Minds on Rock 'n' Roll
  • Our Noise: The Story of Merge Records, the Indie Label That Got Big and Stayed Small
  • Mozipedia: The Encyclopedia of Morrissey and The Smiths
  • Art of Modern Rock: The Poster Explosion
  • Ocean of Sound: Aether Talk, Ambient Sound and Imaginary Worlds
  • Ripped: How the Wired Generation Revolutionized Music
  • Love Saves the Day: A History of American Dance Music Culture, 1970-1979
  • Sound Unbound: Sampling Digital Music and Culture
  • Dead Children Playing
  • Unsung Heroes Of Rock 'n' Roll: The Birth Of Rock In The Wild Years Before Elvis
The Sound of Our Town Tales from the House Band, Volume 1: A Plus One Music Anthology

“Many people with creative genes also suffer from various neurological disorders; you can be Mozart and still be bipolar,” says Salerian. “There is a very close link between creativity and dysfunction of the nervous system—it’s part of a mood disorder package that artistic people have a higher chance of suffering from.” 0 likes
“It’s funny that because a lot of old jazz is being sampled now, you are finding a lot of young kids, a lot of scenesters and clubgoers, who are getting praise, laurels and dates with women because they listen to people like Herbie Hancock. In my day, listening to Herbie Hancock would have gotten you beaten up.” 0 likes