Chicken Dance

Chicken Dance

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Meet Marge and Lola, chickens on a mission: to win tickets for the Elvis Poultry Show! But their toughest competition — a pack of menacing ducks — sneers that “all a chicken can do is bawk, flap, and shake.” Can our two feisty chicks show those quackers how to rock ’n’ roll the barnyard?
Tammi Sauer and Dan Santat have whipped up a giddy, goofy romp where cows fly over the...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Sterling

14 Cows for America by Carmen Agra DeedyThe Lion and the Mouse by Jerry PinkneyThe Curious Garden by Peter  BrownRed Sings from Treetops by Joyce SidmanTsunami! by Kimiko Kajikawa
2010 Caldecott Hopefuls
61st out of 61 books — 159 voters
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsPete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by Eric LitwinKnuffle Bunny by Mo WillemsThe Berenstain Bears Go to School by Stan BerenstainSheep in a Jeep by Nancy E. Shaw
Best Chlidren's Picture Book Series
28th out of 58 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Candice
Feb 20, 2011 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes kids' books that appeal to both parents and kids
Shelves: picture-books
At first glance (no, you can't always tell a book by its cover) I thought this would be one of those kids' books that was really written for the parents. The rooster on the cover is obviously the rooster version of Elvis Presley. But the story inside is fun and entertaining for all ages. Marge and Lola, two chickens, want in the worst way to win the barnyard talent show. First prize is tickets to see Elvis Poultry in concert. But what talents do they have? As those cocky ducks tell them, all the...more
Heidi
It had me at "Elvis Poultry." I liked the humor in the book, as well as the story. I think I'm coming around to being just fine with the illustration style, too. It was probably the humor that is the best. I think the older end of K-5 will get this.

7/1/10 Not too bad for school-age. Some jokes they didn't get. Some they thought a little lame. But I think they enjoyed the story itself, and enthusiastically called out the scores they thought the animals would get. The "talent show" we did in grou...more
Jewel
Sauer and Santat portray memorable characters in an entertaining barnyard production starring Marge and Lola, who hang out together where Elvis Poultry is top bird. The two best friend chicks almost lose their cluck when they read the Barnyard Talent Show poster. The grand prize is two tickets to the final multitalented "doodle doo" of the season. Lola and Marge set out to snag the prize, but first they have to test their talents and score higher than the other animals in the barnyard.

What I li...more
Eva Leger
I saw someone else say that this story had them at "Elvis Poultry" and that is exactly what I was going to say! I haven't read any book - childrens or adults - that has made me laugh like this in quite awhile.
Others have given good enough descriptions so I'll stick to what we thought of the story. Some of the illustrations really just make you laugh right out loud - the chickens face when they're on stage and the duck scares them? Classic. When they're rocking out on the next page? Awesome. Peo...more
Amy Musser
Marge and Lola are chickens who adore Elvis Poultry, so when they see a poster for the talent show, grand prize - tickets to Elvis Poultry in concert, they know they have to win. Unfortunately, the ducks always win and they just won’t let anyone forget it. Marge and Lola assess their talents – bowling, flying, swimming, juggling – but they fail at all of them. It’s time for the talent show and Marge and Lola still don’t know what to do! The goats are eating tractors, the pigs are making pyramids...more
Kellee
Reviewed at: http://www.teachmentortexts.com/2011/...

Summary: Marge and Lola the chickens want to win the tickets to see Elvis Poultry in concert so bad, but they had to find a way to win the talent contest. The ducks always won, so they had to find something that they did that was better than anything the ducks could do. They tried flying (nope) and swimming (nope) and other fancy tricks, but they couldn't figure out what their talent was. So, the day of the talent show they decided just to win...more
Kim Zarins
There are lots of reasons to love this picture book, but the one I'll share is the judicious way Sauer ties up a loose end with cunning purpose. All the animals at the talent show get a score rating…but we don't know what the cows score for their lunar jump until a key moment presents itself. It's funny and smart how Sauer did that! She could have given the chickens a 10, but she found a way that is much more clever and suits the team spirit she later develops in BAWK & ROLL. Fun story, and...more
Danielle
Chicken Dance is a humorous book about a farm animal talent show. Each group of animals (practices and) presents their talent and hopes to be the group to win the tickets to Elvis Poultry's concert. This book can be a mentor text for writing imaginative stories.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Luann
Filled with farmyard puns, Elvis references, and the occasional shout-out to nursery rhymes, this is just hilarious! Marge and Lola could take some lessons from Louise on tightrope walking, but I liked the act they came up with even better. Pair this with any of the farmyard books by Doreen Cronin for hilarious farmyard antics with slightly puzzled farmers. :)
Kacy Sullivan
Chicken Dance, by Tammi Sauer is an entertaining book for all ages. Two chickens, Marge and Lola see a poster advertising a talent show; the grand prize is two tickets to the Elvis Poultry concert. Marge and Lola know they must enter and win because they adore Elvis Poultry. When they see the barnyard competition heat up, they become nervous. The ducks always win first prize! There is a surprise in store this year when the chickens do what chickens do best. Read Chicken Dance to find out if Marg...more
Nancy Jo Lambert
Melanie Olson
As a person of Polish descent, I felt drawn to this book. My family has done the Chicken Dance for generations (or as long as it's been around). Not a single wedding, birthday, or family reunion was complete without it. Although this book is not about "The" Chicken Dance, it was lighthearted, humorous, and a fun break from the more intense books I'm usually reading.
Phuong Dao
This is one of the funny book I like to read. This book is about two chicken who are trying to win the ticket to Elvis Presley show. The other animals do not believe that they can do it and they were made fun of. Finally, the chick showed them what they can do and other animals was in shocked of how good they are. This is a funny book for kid.
Jenny
Sep 30, 2010 Jenny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: farm
This book had me in stitches! With its talent show featuring Elvis Poultry and his chicken dancers Marge and Lola versus pigs forming a pyramid, cows jumping over the moon, and surf ducks, what's not to love???? This will be a read that students AND their parents/teachers will enjoy. This is definitely a book to run out and buy!
Linda
Love the play on words found in this book from Elvis Poultry to bawk and roll to the chicken striking a Saturday Night Fever pose! The end papers contain dance steps to several classics and the interior illustrations are very colorful and clever! The underlying theme is that just being yourself is good enough!
Mandy
The barnyard is having a talent show and the winners get tickets to see Elvis Poultry in concert. Chicken Marge and Lola are "all shook up" and are desperate to go. The only problem is they can't come up with a talent to perform for the concert and the ducks keep "egging them on."
Edna
Hilarious! Just be who you are and do what you do best and you will be rewarded even if it's not exactly what you envisioned. The story line is silly but reassuring and the illustrations are just as effectively silly and they are creatively artistic.
Hilary
Oh. My.
How can you resist Marge and Lola -- who desperately want to win a talent contest and meet...ELVIS!!!! The book gives new meaning to "Chicken Dance," f'sure. Silly fun that reminds the reader that just being yourself is a winning program.
Colleen Houck
This book is really cute. It's nice to see the underdog win even if the underdog is a chicken. It also shows that sometimes you don't win in the way you expected, the way you wanted. Sometimes there is an even better thing than winning.
Michelle
This book rocked my sox! Loved it! Sooo fun. Nice colorful illustrations, fun storyline, would love to try it out in pre-school storytime and see how it goes! Suspect storytime greatness would be the result...
Sandy Brehl
Talent shows and dance competitions are the current rage on television, but these contests have been around for centuries. But, in the barn? Featuring Elvis Poultry and the dancing chickens? Why not?
Paula
Determined to win tickets to an Elvis Poultry concert, hens Marge and Lola enter the Barnyard Talent Show, then, while the ducks who usually win the contest jeer, they test out their abilities.
Arapahoe Library District
Marge and Lola are chickens who want to win tickets to the Elvis Poultry Show by competing in the barnyard talent show. Priceless expressions on all the barnyard animals and a fun story.
Elaine Bearden
PreS-gr2
Very funny book about a talent show and some barnyard antics. Nods to Elvis and other cultural things. Great art. Would be fun with a dancing theme or chickens or farmyards.
Cathy Blackler
Very cute story brought to life by Dan Santat's delightful illustrations. Marge and Lola, chicken chums, learn that it is best to be yourself.
Kim
hysterically funny, fun story with great illustrations

themes: being yourself, chickens, contests, dance, ducks, Elvis, farms, talent shows
Maya
I can't help it--I love this book, and my kids do too. I particularly love the pacing and interesting word choices. The art is pretty great too.
Laura Salas
Great read-aloud. Lots of puns. Sterling. Wonder if they'd have any interest in supersheep?
Cynthia
Such a funny picture book about chickens learning to be themselves. Clever & funny. Loved it.
  • Tell Me the Day Backwards
  • Cats' Night Out
  • My Heart Is Like a Zoo
  • Pouch!
  • Waiting for Winter
  • Here Comes the Big, Mean Dust Bunny!
  • Xander's Panda Party
  • Have I Got a Book for You!
  • Pirate vs. Pirate: The Terrific Tale of a Big, Blustery Maritime Match
  • Chicken Big
  • The Purple Kangaroo
  • Crankenstein
  • Dog in Charge
  • Carnivores
Tammi Sauer is the author of Cowboy Camp (Sterling, 2005), Chicken Dance (Sterling, 2009), Mostly Monsterly (Paula Wiseman/S&S, 2010), the forthcoming Princess-in-Training (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt), and something that's currently Top Secret.

Tammi and her family live in Oklahoma with one dog, two geckos, and a tank full of random fish.
More about Tammi Sauer...
Mostly Monsterly Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever--or Snack Time? Me Want Pet! Mr. Duck Means Business Princess in Training