Start by marking “Skipjack: The Story of America's Last Sailing Oystermen” as Want to Read:
Skipjack: The Story of America's Last Sailing Oystermen

Skipjack: The Story of America's Last Sailing Oystermen

In Skipjack, Christopher White spends a pivotal year with three memorable captains as they battle man and nature to control the fate of their island villages and oyster fleet. Through these lively characters, White paints a vivid picture of life on a skipjack, a wooden oystering sailboat as they dredge for oysters—a favorite staple of iconic American seafood cuisine for ov ...more
Published November 10th 2009 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Skipjack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skipjack

Nov 23, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
As we are into Oyster Season, this is a great book to help us appreciate the legacy for the meals we will so enjoy until the end of the season - oyster stew, fried oysters, oyster stuffing. It is not just "open a jar." Even if you don't like oysters, the history of the people who live on the Chesapeake Bay is fascinating. yes, it is about the Eastern Shore, but you will recognize the people as being on the Western shore too.
Sep 17, 2013 Spencer rated it really liked it
a through and melancholy overview of a once-booming american industry unique to the chesapeake bay. the demise of the sailing oyster dredger is painted as a national tragedy, which is an interesting story, but it's marred slightly as the language towards the end turns from sad to vindictive. government interference/inaction or not, there are other areas to place the blame. still, a biased ending doesn't take away from the accomplishment that this book represents. the author's dedication, patienc ...more
Sigrid Reynolds
Apr 29, 2014 Sigrid Reynolds rated it really liked it
Poignant, amusing, can't wait to make Miss Pauline's Crabcakes
Mary Anne
Aug 02, 2015 Mary Anne rated it really liked it
What an amazing view of life of the Chesapeake watermen!
Jun 13, 2014 Joe rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, beautiful book. This will definitely join Beautiful Swimmers as a classic look at the history, culture and biology of a small and fascinating slice of the life of the Chesapeake Bay. It's very well written and totally engrossing.
Jul 23, 2013 Jean rated it really liked it
Entertaining, insightful, and engaging! This was a great book to read following Chesapeake by James Michner. It provides keen insight to an industry many take for granted. A must read for those of us who who love the Chesapeake Bay.
Dec 04, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it
Loved learning more about the shore and life of working watermen!
Aug 20, 2014 Shaun rated it really liked it
Shelves: sea-stories
This book will live alongside Beautiful Swimmers on my shelf of sea stories. I haven't laid eyes on a Skipjack in decades and now I miss them. A good ol' boy will feel blue after reading this one.
Sep 08, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-bay
I don't know what to say about Skipjack. I loved it so much. A fascinating and heartbreaking read that opened a little window for me to another part of my home, the Chesapeake Bay. Highly recommended.
J. Kathryn
J. Kathryn marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Chris marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Glenn Van
Glenn Van marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Jane marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Hana marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Eric_W marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Cfinch added it
Apr 10, 2016
Damien marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Arie added it
Apr 20, 2016
Megan marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Kristina Currans
Kristina Currans marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Sheila added it
Jan 19, 2016
Evelyn rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Robyn Shepherd
Robyn Shepherd rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Dave marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Charlotte Snead
Charlotte Snead rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Nathan Brooks
Nathan Brooks marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Mary Nimmich
Mary Nimmich is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2015
Chris Gobbett
Chris Gobbett rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2015