Start by marking “A Dictionary of Symbols” as Want to Read:
A Dictionary of Symbols

A Dictionary of Symbols

A valuable reference, this informatively entertaining volume presents a key to elucidating the symbolic worlds encountered in both the arts & the history of ideas. Alphabetical entries clarify essential meanings of each symbol, as drawn from religion, astrology, alchemy, numerology etc. 32 black-&-white illustrations.
Published January 28th 1971 by Philosophical Library (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about A Dictionary of Symbols, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dictionary of Symbols

Ola Loobeensky
A rose is not only a rose is not only a rose

Ponad dekadę temu bez opamiętania lataliśmy całą watahą dzieciaków po okolicznych blokach, spisując pracowicie kopiując do kajecików zagadkowe zdania oraz niezwykłe wizerunki: Punx not dead, umieszczony zaraz obok Skins not dead, Trust no one (pod rysunkiem dość przerażającego kosmity), anarchie, celtyki i inne frapujące bazgroły, produkowane przez naszych nieco bardziej posuniętych w latach kolegów. Zebrany materiał naukowy zanosiliśmy następnie do st
William Schram
This book discusses the particular symbols and ideas related to those symbols popular in everyday culture. It does this in a scholarly manner that is really interesting. Sometimes the entries are really short when you expect them to be pretty long. Take Prester John for instance. I know he was supposed to be some legendary King of Christendom back in the Middle Ages, but I never thought he would only have one sentence devoted to him. It covers all of the Tarot Cards, all weapons that I could thi ...more
A. Lundberg
Okay, I didn't read it word for word, but I did go through the whole book. Yes, you can get a lot of this type of information online but it's handy to have it in book format both to flick through for inspiration and to do a quick check on particular words. I've used it as inspiration both for creative writing and for naming a company. It's not a bad idea to make sure your chosen name doesn't mean death or the root of all evil ;-)
Matthew
Nov 03, 2007 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An unapologetically Jungian-inspired dictionary of symbols. In limited space, covers a number of cultural manifestations of each symbol, with a latent argument for some sort of generalizable meaning. Well-written with interesting art pieces. Particularly helpful for those interested in mythology or the archetypal quality of dreams.
Royce Ratterman
Feb 07, 2016 Royce Ratterman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Most books are rated related to their usefulness and contributions to my research.
Overall, a good book for the researcher and enthusiast.
Read for personal research
- found this book's contents helpful and inspiring - number rating relates to the book's contribution to my needs.
Chaotician
Jan 02, 2008 Chaotician rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome book. It's a part of the 25+ books i recieved for Christmas. It provides the knowledge which would enable someone to read pretty much anything. i don't understand why ben gates and riley didn't just buy this book instead of going to ben's mom.
Sara
Nov 21, 2014 Sara rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Rather boring.

***********

And I just read some other reviews of this book. I read this in the 90's and apparently, I'm just not feeling the love. Maybe this wasn't the right book at the right time.

I still own it, may have to revisit it.
Jana
Mar 21, 2008 Jana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Good basic reference for a "collective unconscious" version of symbolism. Can be applied toward art, literature, dreams and anything else that hits your radar. Good for reading more into children's and outsider art than probably necessary. Also fun just to open anywhere and read.
Mary Overton
One of my all time favorite reference books -- full of underlining, highlighting, and ancient, curled, annotated Post-It notes. I went to this book yesterday and realized I should add it to my library.
Barbara
May 05, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pun - Schneider "to create a poetic pun is to jump over or annihilate the distance between two logical or spatial elements - to place under one yoke two elements which are naturally discrete.:
Ike Sharpless
I remember loving this book in high school, when I was in my 'read-every-reference-book-in-the-library-on-myth-and-cosmogony' phase...which lasted for at least a few years.
Parnell
Sep 15, 2013 Parnell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book only covers a broad and generalized set of symbols but should be sufficient for casual interest. Each entry is well treated and the book, in general, is well written. A gem to have.
Sandeep
Sandeep rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2012
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2011
Marc Piñol
Marc Piñol rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2013
Noor
Noor rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2016
Patrick Hepburn
Patrick Hepburn rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Lysergius
Lysergius rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2012
Francisca Pageo
Francisca Pageo rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2013
Terry Volbrecht
Terry Volbrecht rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2011
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2012
Jm
Jm rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2014
Molly Neely
Molly Neely rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2016
Roniq
Jan 20, 2008 Roniq rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have the second edition of this book and it's a wonderful resource of symbols and their meanings.
Tedopon
Tedopon rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2008
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2007
proto
proto rated it liked it
May 09, 2007
Blair and Ben
Blair and Ben rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2016
J. Dallas
J. Dallas rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2013
Cordula Van
Cordula Van rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2013
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • Mythology
  • The Collected Works of C.G. Jung
  • The Superior Person's Book of Words
  • The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology: An A-Z Guide to the Myths and Legends of the Ancient World