A Dictionary of Symbols

A Dictionary of Symbols

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A valuable reference, this informatively entertaining volume presents a key to elucidating the symbolic worlds encountered in both the arts & the history of ideas. Alphabetical entries clarify essential meanings of each symbol, as drawn from religion, astrology, alchemy, numerology etc. 32 black-&-white illustrations.
Published January 28th 1971 by Philosophical Library (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about A Dictionary of Symbols, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dictionary of Symbols

Alexandra Loobeensky
A rose is not only a rose is not only a rose

Ponad dekadę temu bez opamiętania lataliśmy całą watahą dzieciaków po okolicznych blokach, spisując pracowicie kopiując do kajecików zagadkowe zdania oraz niezwykłe wizerunki: Punx not dead, umieszczony zaraz obok Skins not dead, Trust no one (pod rysunkiem dość przerażającego kosmity), anarchie, celtyki i inne frapujące bazgroły, produkowane przez naszych nieco bardziej posuniętych w latach kolegów. Zebrany materiał naukowy zanosiliśmy następnie do st...more
Anna Lundberg
Okay, I didn't read it word for word, but I did go through the whole book. Yes, you can get a lot of this type of information online but it's handy to have it in book format both to flick through for inspiration and to do a quick check on particular words. I've used it as inspiration both for creative writing and for naming a company. It's not a bad idea to make sure your chosen name doesn't mean death or the root of all evil ;-)
Matthew
An unapologetically Jungian-inspired dictionary of symbols. In limited space, covers a number of cultural manifestations of each symbol, with a latent argument for some sort of generalizable meaning. Well-written with interesting art pieces. Particularly helpful for those interested in mythology or the archetypal quality of dreams.
Jana
Good basic reference for a "collective unconscious" version of symbolism. Can be applied toward art, literature, dreams and anything else that hits your radar. Good for reading more into children's and outsider art than probably necessary. Also fun just to open anywhere and read.
Chaotician
This is an awesome book. It's a part of the 25+ books i recieved for Christmas. It provides the knowledge which would enable someone to read pretty much anything. i don't understand why ben gates and riley didn't just buy this book instead of going to ben's mom.
Mary Overton
One of my all time favorite reference books -- full of underlining, highlighting, and ancient, curled, annotated Post-It notes. I went to this book yesterday and realized I should add it to my library.
Parnell
The book only covers a broad and generalized set of symbols but should be sufficient for casual interest. Each entry is well treated and the book, in general, is well written. A gem to have.
Ike Sharpless
I remember loving this book in high school, when I was in my 'read-every-reference-book-in-the-library-on-myth-and-cosmogony' phase...which lasted for at least a few years.
Dom
Dom is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2014
Roniq
I have the second edition of this book and it's a wonderful resource of symbols and their meanings.
Gregory B.
Nov 19, 2009 Gregory B. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in symbolism
A fantastic overview of the meaning behind symbols and their meanings.
Carmen
I love books on symbols and so far, this one is my favorite.
Jenny
Endlessly fascinating. Kind of a bible for me.
Barbara
Pun - Schneider "to create a poetic pun is to jump over or annihilate the distance between two logical or spatial elements - to place under one yoke two elements which are naturally discrete.:
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
E.v. Sage
E.v. Sage marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Jordan Ferguson
Jordan Ferguson marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Lê Mộng
Lê Mộng marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Aman
Aman marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Harry Rigo
Harry Rigo marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Sansan
Sansan marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Mars Trinidad
Mars Trinidad marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Symbols
  • Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were: Creatures, Places, and People
  • Cassell Dictionary of Superstitions
  • The Book of Symbols: Reflections on Archetypal Images
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2, 500 Deities of the World
  • Dictionary of Classical Mythology
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • Element Encyclopedia Of Secret Signs And Symbols The Ultimate A Z Guide From Alchemy To The Zodiac
  • Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods & Goddesses
  • The Dictionary of Imaginary Places: The Newly Updated and Expanded Classic
  • Mythology
  • Myths and Symbols in Indian Art and Civilization
  • The Woman's Dictionary of Symbols and Sacred Objects
  • The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology: An A-Z Guide to the Myths and Legends of the Ancient World
  • The Magician's Companion: A Practical and Encyclopedic Guide to Magical and Religious Symbolism (Llewellyn's Sourcebook)
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • Alchemy & Mysticism
  • Gods, Demigods and Demons: An Encyclopedia of Greek Mythology
Bronwyn Gaudi: Introduction to His Architecture En La Llama: Poesia 1943-1959 (Libros del Tiempo) Del No Mundo: Poesía (1961 1973) Diccionario de los ismos