Start by marking “At the King's Command (Tudor Rose, #1)” as Want to Read:
At the King's Command (Tudor Rose, #1)

At the King's Command (Tudor Rose #1)

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  1,262 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
Librarian's Note: Reprint of Circle in the Water, Sept 1994, ISBN-13: 9780061081392, ISBN-10: 0061081396

Frustrated by his own failures at matrimony, King Henry VIII punishes an insolent nobleman by commanding him to marry the vagabond woman caught stealing his horse. Stephen de Lacey is a cold and bitter widower, long accustomed to the sovereign's capricious and malicious
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published July 28th 2009 by Mira (first published September 1994)

To ask other readers questions about At the King's Command, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At the King's Command

Ally
Jan 08, 2016 Ally rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Made me throw up in my mouth at times

Setting / Time / Genre: England, the reign of King Henry VIII

Length: 300 plus pages, with about 200 being boooring. At least to me.

Series: Yes.

Sexy times: I don't really know about that. I kept skipping pages. As in lots of them. As in by the dozens. I think there was one nipple roll and something about taking the heroine to the heights (so that's like the fourth time I urped).

Plan on reading more by the author:
nope

Synopsis in one sentence or slightly more:
**Miss_Tegan**
Feb 07, 2017 **Miss_Tegan** rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quattro stelline stiracchiate.
Un bellissimo libro, una trama scorrevole e per nulla noiosa.
Juliana mi è piaciuta tantissimo, un personaggio davvero divertente ma anche molto dolce. Stephen all'inizio l'ho trovato molto freddo ma con il procedere della lettura se ne capiscono i motivi; e si cambia decisamente opinione su di lui.
In questo libro mi è piaciuta anche la presenza dei rom e dei vari amici di Stephen che ho trovato molto divertenti.
In conclusione un buon libro per far passare la gior
Kathy
Oct 19, 2010 Kathy rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
I truly wanted to like this book but after reading 140 dull pages, I couldn't force myself to go one page farther. I previously read The Red Queen and The White Queen by Philippa Gregory and this book is so far beneath the quality of those books, I just couldn't get into this one. I also wonder why publishers think that once an author becomes popular (I DO like Susan Wiggs later books), they can re-issue the first writing attempts of an author and readers will think they are good based solely on ...more
Sammy
Sep 08, 2012 Sammy rated it it was ok
The Tudor Rose Trilogy all essentially contain the same plot (although they do have different characters with their own peculiar habits and personalities). The plot revolves around a hero who has formerly been betrayed/hurt by a woman and who is still very much reeling from the effects of such hurt when he encounters another woman, the heroine. He is attracted to the heroine (sexually and conversationally their chemistry works) but has secrets/plans that he doesn't reveal to the heroine and reso ...more
HÜLYA
Jan 18, 2013 HÜLYA rated it really liked it
Tudors Gülü üçlemesinin ilk kitabı Tutsak Yüreğim'in Goodreads puanı 5/3,71 Benim puanım 5/4 çok beğenerek okudum..Aslında bu Tudors Hanedanı zamanını işleyen kitapları okumaktan sıkılmıştım.Uzun zamandır da ara vermiştim.O yüzden bu kitabı okumakta bu kadar geciktim..
Kitabın başlarında biraz sıkıldım ama sayfalar ilerledikçe kitap beni kendine bağladı o büyülü ortama beni çekti..Hikayeyi beğendim.Fakat erkek kahraman Stephen çoğu yerde beni gereksiz yere sinir ettiğini belirtmeliyim.Önceki evli
Tegan Mae (The Rowdy Librarian)
One of my first historical fiction romance novels. I love anything historical, so this was perfect. I liked that it incorporated Henry VIII, but it wasn't all about him. He played a critical role though and his character was very true what is known of the king.

Juliana is a wonderful heroine. I loved her. Her transition from princess, to gypsy, to baroness was astounding. Even though she changed she never lost the essential part of her. She kept what was important from each different part of her
Katie
Mar 10, 2015 Katie rated it it was amazing
This is not usually an author I would look at, in fact this is the first book I've read by Wiggs.... and it was captivating! It pulled me in right a way and had me staying up late to see what happens next! The character of Juliana Romanov was intriguing and I loved her backstory. You earn a sense of sympathy for the injustice that was done to her and her family in Russia. The writing is rich and the imagery comes alive--- very good start to the trilogy!!
liz
Jan 30, 2010 liz rated it it was ok
I might have give this book 2.5 stars, but it wasn't worth rounding up.
The story starts out okay, but about halfway through it turns in to a twisted version of The Secret Garden. I put this book on my "oh, Duh" list.
Merrin
Nov 06, 2009 Merrin rated it it was ok
I didn't find out until half way through (after looking towards the back of the book for an author bio) that this is actually a reprint of a book she wrote back in 1994. And. Well. It reads like an early novel, and it is not terribly good, and I'm kind of sad I picked it up.
la lettrice
Uno dei maschi dalla sindrome premestruale più evidente mai visti (te lo voglio dare, forse ora te lo dò, no ora non te lo dò più) . Un bipolare senza pazzia. Lei, carina, folle il giusto, estremamente paziente con uno sclerato simile.
Ilaria Goffredo
Originale e divertente il fatto che la protagonista non sia solo una dama fine e raffinata come sempre accade in libri del genere ma una zingara selvaggia. Le metafore e similitudini sono gradevolissime.
Il principale punto di vista è quello del protagonista maschile e questo è un punto a favore.
Deanna S. Neeley
Good for romantic teenage girls

I couldn't finish this book. I found it was too much written for a different audience. Romantic teenage girls would probably like this novel. I just couldn't find the connection of contempt moving to irresistible passion in such a short time frame.
Michele
Jan 30, 2017 Michele rated it really liked it
I like Susan Wiggs contemporary novels. I love Tudor England.....and this series is historical fiction, in Tudor England, by Susan Wiggs. I was not disappointed...and cannot wait to read the next 2 in the series.
Carol
Oct 31, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing
I loved this trilogy. After finishing book 3, reread all three books.
Krista
Mar 06, 2016 Krista rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
I read this book due to a dare and as we know, one cannot turn away from a dare.

I wish I could have.

This book is a piece of loosely historical (VERY loosely historical), supposedly romantic, fluff. For someone who likes history and hopes to like the characters in one's book, it is agonizing.

Plot: "Juliana" Romanov* (seriously, that name; I cannot get over it) is a Russian noblewoman whose family died in a massacre on their country estate. She flees to England for reasons that are entirely unclea
Jul 01, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The idea that first drew me to this book was the idea of a Russian lady in the Tudor court. They're two worlds that I've never seen done in any book before, romance or otherwise, so I was curious to explore that. And while I think I might have enjoyed a bit more of a look at the Russian world during this time period, I enjoyed the touches with Juliana's dog, the Gypsies, and Juliana's memories of her family and old world.

And boy did I love Juliana! She was soft and feminine where she needed to b
Yukino
May 23, 2012 Yukino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miei, 2011
*** Attenzione: di seguito anticipazioni sulla trama (SPOILER) ***
OK

OK..
non è il romanzo psicologico dell'anno.
non è il romanzo che brilla per originalità

ma..

A me è piaciuto.

Insomma lei principessa russa..che scampa al massacro della sua famiglia perchè è uscita la sera senza permesso...accolta dai rom e vive con loro..e si sposta in inghilterra a londra, ma non ha mai dimenticato il suo passato eanzi tenta sempre di tornare indietro, purtroppo per lei ruba ilcavallo alla persona sbagliata e con
Aileene
This was an enjoyable romance and rather well written, which was a surprise even though it shouldn't be. I've been burned out on most romances lately, they seem to not only ruin interesting plot lines but the chemistry between the couple ranges anywhere from unbelievable to irrational.

This book was a very sweet love story and while the heroine was a bit too perfect, it was a refreshing change from the TSTL gals I've been reading about lately.

When it came to the scene where he said the 'magic' wo
Linda Walters
Good storylines, really good people shown in the book. Interesting, complex main characters and also political intrigue. Stephen de Lacey, has so often suffered at the whims of his King, Henry V111.
This book had some interesting groups of people that made up the story, including the Gypsy tribe that had "adopted" Juliana. Lazlo, was a major person in her life, who became like a second father to her.
This story is not without a few twists and turns, that when they are revealed, it made me go, "y
Liz
Sep 16, 2013 Liz rated it liked it
Recommends it for: henry VIII fans
Recommended to Liz by: self
Rachel Zylstra
Mar 23, 2013 Rachel Zylstra rated it it was amazing
Loved this so much.

I Always love a good historical fiction, especially ones set in Tudors time.

This doesnt feature King Henry too much, it focuses on the love story between a Lord and a Russian princess who fled Russia after her family was murdered and had been living among gypsies in England whilst trying to find a way to return home and seek her vengeance.

However she is caught stealing the horse of Lord Stephen de Lacey and from then on everything changes. To satisfy his own cruel sense of hu
Destiny
It just occurred to me while I was reading the last few pages that the (view spoiler)

But that aside, I really enjoyed the book, though Stephen's stubbornness
Lady of the Lake
Well written and intelligent romance happy to have found Susan Wiggs. How on earth do some authers escape notice while searching for books I have no clue! But thanks to all the great people here at Goodreads I constantly find great reads I may have othewise missed out on.
The heroine maybe a little TOO PERFECT as there is nothing she can't do I mean from trick riding barefoot on a pony with Gypsies to running a house full of servents perfectly AND solving all the problems to make more money come
Kate Willoughby
Oct 17, 2009 Kate Willoughby rated it it was ok
I got about halfway through the book and got tired of waiting for things to be revealed. I love a good tortured hero, but tease me too many times with reminders but not give me any new information about why he's so tortured and I get annoyed. I also thought Laszlo chose a poor way of keeping her safe by taking up with gypsies. Often in novels gypsies are portrayed as misunderstood, but I'm sure their reputation as unsavory thieves has some root in truth. Or maybe I've just had the misfortune to ...more
Margaret
Nov 09, 2015 Margaret rated it really liked it
Quite a good historical read. Although the story is set in Tudor times, it shows a side of Henry VIII from others perspective. Interesting concept, about how the Romany travel England. Also what they used to do for asthma back in that period.
Thank heavens we have that sorted out..... the things we take for granted!!!
The author has a literary way, that makes her very easy reading.
I am into the second book of the trilogy now, still enjoying them.
If you like Miss Gregory's writing of the Tudor time
Chris
Nov 15, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it
Julianna Romanov flees her childhood home after watching it being set a blaze and her family being murdered. While traveling in England with a band of gypies she is caught trying to steal a horse. She is forced by the English king to marry the horse's owner, Stephen de Lacey. This is a love story of revenge and healing. It does not disapoint and has you looking forward to reading the next story in the Tudor Rose Trilogy.
Carolyn Tye
Jun 03, 2016 Carolyn Tye rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, with a few exceptions. Some of the plot seemed totally implausible. Also, while the steamy scenes occurred between a married couple, I still felt uncomfortable reading them. I don't know how I heard of this book, but I think it was from a good reads review of Siri Mitchell's book A Constant Heart, which is set during the time of Queen Elizabeth and has some similar themes to this book. Between the two, I prefer Mitchell's book.
Kristine
Feb 19, 2010 Kristine rated it liked it
Nancy Brady
May 03, 2012 Nancy Brady rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, library-book
A historical romance set in the time of Henry VIII--Juliana flees Russia with a band of gypsies when her family is murdered. She meets her "husband" Stephen when she is caught stealing his horse. Ordered to marry him or be hanged for the thievery by the king's command, she and he agree to marry Stephen in name only. He knows her only as a filthy, lice-ridden gypsy while she claims otherwise. Searching out the truth only brings more conflict.
Diane
Mar 18, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing
I have actually had all three books for quite a while. Susan Wiggs are great books if you like Romance but not all the sexy details. With this book I found the relationship between the Gajo and Gypsies intriguing and interesting. I would actually like to know more. Susan gave a little taste as to what King Henry VIII was like, as horrible as he was, outside of a history book. I can picture it. Worth the read. On to #2
  • A Lady Raised High: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • By Royal Decree (Secrets of the Tudor Court, #3)
  • Shameless (Banning Sisters, #3)
  • The Sixth Wife
  • The Queen's Mistake (In the Court of Henry VIII, #2)
  • A Question of Guilt: A Novel of Mary, Queen of Scots, and the Death of Henry Darnley
  • King's Fool: A Notorious King, His Six Wives, and the One Man Who Knew All Their Secrets
  • The King's Daughter (Thornleigh, #2)
  • Silk and Shadows (Silk Trilogy, #1)
  • In the Shadow of the Crown (Queens of England, #6)
  • Virgin: Prelude to the Throne
  • Young Bess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #1)
  • The Fifth Queen
  • Bold Angel
  • The Surgeon's Lady (Channel Fleet, #2)
Susan Wiggs's life is all about family, friends...and fiction. She lives at the water's edge on an island in Puget Sound, and she commutes to her writers' group in a 17-foot motorboat. She serves as author liaison for Field's End, a literary community on Bainbridge Island, Washington, bringing inspiration and instruction from the world's top authors to her seaside community. (See www.fieldsend.org ...more
More about Susan Wiggs...

Tudor Rose (3 books)
  • The Maiden's Hand (Tudor Rose #2)
  • At the Queen's Summons (Tudor Rose,  #3)

“You always look on the dark side of life. I believe in capturing the moment...Joy is so fleeting. You never know when it might be snatched away.” 11 likes
“She knew the soothing power of a human touch on aching flesh. Knew the strange bond that formed when two creatures united in mutual need, one hurting, the other healing.” 8 likes