Start by marking “Days of Atonement (Hanno Stiffeniis, #2)” as Want to Read:
Days of Atonement (Hanno Stiffeniis, #2)

Days of Atonement (Hanno Stiffeniis #2)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  28 reviews
"Be very careful, sir!" the young officer warned. "Colonel Lavedrine is a guest of this house, and this nation. I can hardly believe that any Prussian would be so foolhardy to doubt his word. Every man in Paris has heard of his capacities. I see no reason why this Professor Kant of yours should not have heard of them, too."

Lavedrine sat back in his seat, a thin smile on hi
Published March 3rd 2009 by Minotaur Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Days of Atonement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Days of Atonement

Estibaliz79
Aunque tiene muy buenos mimbres para ser una gran novela criminal histórica, le pasa como a la primera entrega: se queda en las tres estrellas y media (3 1/2). Probablemente porque, a pesar de la vehemencia con la que los autores quieren transmitir la crudeza de los crímenes y su motivación, algo falla y no acaban de lograrlo; o puede que debido a esa extraña dinámica del personaje central con su mujer y el resto de los que le rodean, que hace que uno no acabe de tener claro qué está pasando en ...more
aoi aka
I am a sucker for things Prussia or Germany. So when I found this series, it felt as if they had been written for me. It's the second in the series and absolutely necessary to read the first one. Some of the foundations for this second book come from the first. I imagine subsequent books will build up on the prior two.

The author brings Prussia to live in their prose. You'll feel the bitter cold of a carriage ride to a fortress, or the gripping terror of hearing the doorbell ring once and not see
Sundarraj Kaushik
The book is set in the early 1800s. The protagonist is an apprentice of Immanuel Kant. He is a procurator (magistrate) in a small Prussian town. Napolean has conquered Prussia and the French are ruling it with an iron hand. There is lack of all resources amongst the Prussian. The procurator's wife has delivered a baby and she is just recovering from this delivery both physically and mentally. There is enough antagonism between the Prussians and the French as is between any conqueror and the conq ...more
Madhulika Liddle
Michael Gregorio's Days of Atonement is set in the winter of 1806, in the Prussian town of Lotingen. Napoleon's armies have invaded and subjugated Prussia, and Hanno Steffiniis, the magistrate of Lotingen, finds himself unwillingly pulled into a joint crime investigation with a French criminologist, Colonel Serge Lavedrine. In a secluded cottage in the woods bordering Lotingen, the corpses of three children have been found, their throats slit and the two little boys brutally mutilated. And, oddl ...more
Christopher Mcgurr
The book was pretty good. I found the motivation for the murders to be a little weak, but I enjoyed the book nonetheless.
Springtxman
Interesting story about franco prussian/jewish relations during time of napolean
Julie Barrett
I didn't realize this was a sequel to another book until about 50 pages into the story. You can read this as a stand alone book but I do wish I had read the first one prior to this one. The main character referenced events from the first book several times and I was clueless as to what he was talking about. Oh well.

What I enjoyed the most about this mystery was the fact that it was set in Prussia and the lead character was Prussian. Usually when I read about this time period in history - the Nap
Bill Sleeman

Days of Atonement by Michael Gregorio ( the nom de plume of a husband and wife author team) moves along at a steady clip – it was fun but in no way challenging. The plot and the outcome were fairly predictable. I tend to like a bit more mystery in my mysteries. The use of Immanuel Kant as a plot device and a sort of hovering guide did not fit easily into the story and it seemed as if, in my opinion, that the authors worked way too hard to make his presence relevant….with little success. That sai

Panagiotis
Το βιβλίο είναι εξαιρετικό μου άρεσε πάρα πολύ, ερωτεύθηκα και το τόπο και το χρόνο και τους χαρακτήρες. Ιδιαίτερη μνεία στον Γάλλο Λαβεντρίν και στην εύθραυστη μα τόσο δυνατή Ελένα. Συνδυασμός ιστορίας (εμπεριστατωμένης) και καλού αστυνομικού, πείτε μου τί άλλο να ζητήσει κανείς;

James Gregory
Predictable as scooby doo, but without the fun. Overwritten to the point of discomfort. But I quite liked it.
Johann_tor
These guys are a mixed bag. In the first novel the basic premise fell flat, Kant was very inadequately realized and the protagonist felt sketchy. But the milieu was interesting and there were a couple of nice grand guignole sequences. It was these components that attracted me back, and I was not disappointed. The writing was also improved, but in the end it felt too much as a lot of discrete ingredients stitched together. I suppose I will keep them in mind.
Thom
Good story.
Kelly
Again, I got caught not knowing this read was number 2 in a series. That said, it was a good story with well developed characters but, I had a difficult time understanding sometimes who was speaking. The narrative was confusing at times - who was speaking about whom and was this present or past - as in, the last episode. The detail to the environment was great. I felt the cold Prussian wind.
PCass Cass
Brilliant book. Set in Prussia around 1795. Very well researched.
Alfredo
This was a fascinating book. In spite of being a period book, and knowing how the first Franco-Prussian war ended, I found it suspenseful and surprising. It is a great example of a historical thriller. It combines politics, philosophy, criminology and history. Highly recommended.
Beth
I picked this book primarily based on the year 1807, not because it was a murder mystery. This book is set in Prussia, after France invaded. I thought it well written, but I could sence who the murderer was and why the crime was committed before the end.
Dennis Fischman
Very interesting to read about Prussians being occupied by French when so often in history it has been the other way around. The momentum of the narrative kept me going even though I don't think the plot really made any sense. The Jews are not well drawn.
Fasya
another religious crime quite similar to Before The Frost but have different purpose...i much prefer this plot more than Before The Frost...probably because this plot based on Napoleon period...really recommended...
Hanneke
Een echte aanrader voor mensen die van historische thrillers houden! Het speelt zich af in Pruisen in het begin van de bezetting door het leger van Napoleon. Erg goed geschreven, interessante locatie, heel spannend.
Bexx
Too slow with not much happening. Annoying because I am one of those people who has to finish a book once I start it.......unless it is reeeeaaallllyyy bad....
Sara
Aug 29, 2013 Sara marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Saul Mcintyre
Excellent book and made the more interesting with the period setting and the sense of history behind it.
TJ
Ehh. Nothing exciting. read it because of the link to Immanuel Kant,but not really worth the bother.
K.B. Inglee
I will be looking for Critique of Criminal Reason soon. KB
Second in the terrific Hanno Stiffeniis series.
Eva
Good, but the pace is very slow.
Joan
This is again about Hanno set during the French occupaton of Prussia. The fear and uncertanty of the time is very much in evidence and it shows that child soldiers are not just a modern phemomonom.
  • The Second Son (Berlin Trilogy, #3)
  • The Pale House (Gregor Reinhardt #2)
  • Children of Wrath
  • Flesh Wounds (Inspector Troy, #5)
  • A City of Broken Glass (Hannah Vogel, #4)
  • The Twelfth Department (Captain Alexei Dimitrevich Korolev, #3)
  • Sister Pelagia and the White Bulldog (Sister Pelagia Mysteries, #1)
  • Orders from Berlin (Inspector Trave, #3)
  • A Night of Long Knives (Hannah Vogel, #2)
  • Tides of War
  • Hitler's Henchmen
  • The Scent of Death
  • The Quiet Twin
  • A Bone of Contention (Matthew Bartholomew, #3)
  • Letters From a Murderer: The First Jameson & Argenti Investigation
  • A Game of Spies
  • The Killing of Emma Gross
  • Rag and Bone (Billy Boyle World War II, #5)
Daniela De Gregorio and Michael G. Jacob
More about Michael Gregorio...

Hanno Stiffeniis (4 books)
  • Critique of Criminal Reason (Hanno Stiffeniis, #1)
  • A Visible Darkness (Hanno Stiffeniis, #3)
  • Unholy Awakening (Hanno Stiffeniis, #4)
Critique of Criminal Reason (Hanno Stiffeniis, #1) A Visible Darkness (Hanno Stiffeniis, #3) Unholy Awakening (Hanno Stiffeniis, #4) Cry Wolf: A Mafia Thriller Set in Rural Italy Your money or your life