Start by marking “How the World Makes Love: . . . And What It Taught a Jilted Groom” as Want to Read:
How the World Makes Love: . . . And What It Taught a Jilted Groom

How the World Makes Love: . . . And What It Taught a Jilted Groom

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  340 ratings  ·  72 reviews
The bestselling author of Honeymoon with My Brother hits the road again to learn about love and finally finds it closer to home

When you’ve been jilted at the altar and forced to take your pre-paid honeymoon with your brother, it’s fair to say you could learn a thing or two about love. And that’s what Franz Wisner sets out to do—traveling the globe with a mission: to disco...more
Published (first published March 17th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about How the World Makes Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How the World Makes Love

Andri
Tadinya gw mau kasih bintang tiga .. Tapi kemudian di akhir-akhir buku banyak kesimpulan yang menggugah, sehingga akhirnya gw berani kasih bintang empat untuk buku ini. Sebagai sebuah sekuel dari buku sebelumnya yang lumayan menghentak, tentu banyak harapan yang ditaro oleh pembaca kepada buku ini. Seperti gw yang berharap bagaimana Franz bisa memulihkan kepercayaan dirinya, setelah down berat gara-gara ditelantarkan di atas altar oleh calon istrinya.

Tetapi rupanya proses pemulihan itu lebih ban...more
Max
Susan
Sep 15, 2009 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: friends, some family
Wulan
I am a person who longed for adventures, especially adventures by traveling around the world. I enjoy reading traveling stories based on the traveler's experiences because it's REAL. None of that 'traveling guide books' can really give the readers the real sense of adventure because they mainly focuses on the places, not the people. That's why, when I first discovered Honeymoon With My Brother, I immediately fell in love! And when I found out that there was going to be second book, I went huntin...more
Lily Marcon
(Spoiler alert) As sequel to Franz's first memoir, Honeymoon with my brother, this book displays what it takes for a real man to further explore a world outside of being the jilted groom in the altar. Each country installs a distinction on various approaches or plans of attack to Love and/or to making love; How passion is emanated around the world. Brazil - capitalizing on the confidence to attract and magnetize. India - the value and promise of learned love and earned love, etc. Reading memoirs...more
Monika
Very good, fast-paced piece of travel/relationship writing. I highly recommend it.

Some favorite parts:

A married Nicaraguan woman explains success

Physical appearance is irrelevant, though it is important to be good in bed.

The author has a realization

Love is the only belief on which the world agrees. Meters or feet, coffee or tea, Buddha or Allah, futbol or football, cars on the left or right--our planet cannot come to a consensus on anything. Except love.

The world believes deeply in love. Deep...more
Sari
ketika mulai membaca buku ini saya sedikit menyesal karena telah membelinya, namun penyesalan tersebut tidak lantas membuat saya melemparkan buku tersebut dan memutuskan untuk tidak membacanya lagi. sebaliknya saya meneruskan membaca buku tersebut, sepertinya bukan karena dihinggapi rasa ingin tahu, melainkan dihinggapi rasa sangat bersalah jika saya tidak menmyelesaikannya karena telah mengeluarkan uang yang cukup besar.

tak disangka semakin saya membeca buku tersebut, saya semakin menemukan ket...more
Heather
Love around the world... there aren't any amazing new insights into the world of love, but what do you expect? This book is a nice tour of the way relationships are handled in different parts of the world, framed with the author's own life experiences. I especially liked the following:

Ten Global Threats to Love
#1 - TEXTING. In theory, technology should enhance a couple's communication. But let me just respond to my friend's urgent message about her cheating boyfriend, or check the score of this
Joshua
Apr 15, 2010 Joshua rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romantics and lovers of travel
I've never read the Franz Wisner's first book, Honeymoon with my Brother, the story of when his wife left him at the alter, crushing his belief in love. Having non-refundable tickets he decides to take his brother along with him on his honeymoon trip, a trip that lasted two years. However, I've heard great things about that book, and this follow-up's premise gripped me instantly when I read it, "a look at love and it's meaning from countries around the world." Yeah, I'm a chick like that.

I must...more
Sara
I really did not know what to expect from this story, but I knew that I wanted to read it because I loved the book "Honeymoon with my Brother." This book started out really funny and had my full attention. However, about half way into the book, I found myself getting a little bored with the stories from his travels. Though, I do think this was due to the fact that his personal life had gotten interesting and I really wanted to know how things were going to go with his new relationship. By the en...more
Rachel
I enjoyed this more than Honeymoon With My Brother... I mean if you read the two stories back to back, I am quite sure that you will see the progression from hurt to healed. The fact that Franz was in love while he wrote this story comes through on every page. Even though I knew who he'd chosen in the end, it was still quite interesting to see the process unfold. And. This time, he did a better job with details! One of my biggest gripes about HWMB was scant details in scenes that he obviously fe...more
Lisa
3 stars probably doesn't really reflect my enjoyment of the book. I found the anecdotal stories about love throughout the world fascinating, the book just felt a little disjointed and at times it read more like a series of short stories.
Jamie
nila

Franz dan Kurt adiknya, sekali kali bertualang keliling dunia. Tapi kali ini bukan dalam rangka bulan madu tapi untuk berbicara kepada orang-orang Mesir, India, Republik Cheska, Nicaragua, Selandia Baru dan Botswana tentang masalah cinta dan percintaan. Gaya menulis Franz Wisner masih kocak dan penuh humor serta jeli melihat aspek-aspek kehidupan masyarakat dari tempat-tempat yang dikunjunginya.

Tadinya saya mau memberi bintang 4, tapi begitu Tracy muncul, porsi kehidupan pribadi semakin lama sem...more
Abby
This book was excellent. I wish he'd write seven more books just like it, exploring why people do what they do. It was a gorgeous book to read, and I didn't want it to end. Not bad for non-fiction, eh?
Shirley
This book is somewhat of a continuation of "Honeymoon with My Brother." Franz finds a way to continue his travels around the world with his brother, this time to learn about how other parts of the world find love. In between his travels, Franz finds himself drawn to a local actress who he went on a blind date with a while back. I found myself more interested in how this relationship develops and plays out, than in the details of various parts of the world and how they deal with love and relation...more
Turi
I enjoyed Franz Wisner's first book, Honeymoon with my Brother so much, I probably would have grabbed his next no matter the topic. Glad I did, if anything, he's outdone himself. How The World Makes Love is an exploration of dating and romance around the world, at the same time keeping an eye on how it relates to us personally. Having fun while thinking deeply, maintaining a sense of humor while searching for answers: my kind of non-fiction.
Meliana
Franz Wisner failed my expectation on the kicking sequel of the story about travelling around the world with your brother. The story, nevertheless, is still about the adventerous journey around the world. But carrying a mission to find love, sponsored by publisher? Blah! This surely paces down the excitement of travelling to find the true soul.

This book appears to be more like a love story, for me. Somehow, as Franz Wisner is a great story teller, I still enjoy the words he wrote. So, here you g...more
Terry
This book was a fun read, although I have to admit I had to return it to the library before I actually finished it. I will probably pick it up again when I have time, as it was an great way to see how different cultures view love and marriage and fidelity and infidelity. The part that takes place in India opened my eyes to a culture I didn't understand much about--but my favorite quote from the book was from an Indian woman who had been married for decades(Happily!) to a man chosen by her parent...more
Wellington

Am I getting soft? A bride jilts the groom at the altar. He goes on a quest around the world to ask the world on questions of love. To Brazil, Egypt, the Czech Republic, Nicaragua, New Zealand, and Botswana he travels asking the locals on the secrets to love.

So, this is a memoir of one man's travels. But it's more than that. It's one man's quest to understand this thing called love. It's about a guy trying to heal from a being jilted at the altar. It's rather a heart warming piece. That or I'm...more
Monty
I really enjoyed the author's first book, Honeymoon with my Brother, and was glad to learn that he has a second book out. This was a fun read. There is much humor mixed in with information about love, courting, gender attitudes and so on in various countries around the world. Just like his previous book, this one also includes many tidbits about traveling. His travels and interviews, sometimes with his brother, are interspersed with his meeting, dating and falling in love with someone in LA--thi...more
Teena in Toronto
A couple years ago, our street had a book club and one of the books we read was Honeymoon with My Brother. The author joined us during our book club via a conference call which was cool (he enjoys doing book clubs).

In his latest book, he explores what love is around the world while he himself is falling in love with Tracy (who eventually becomes his wife).

It was interesting to read about what people in other countries look for in relationships, the process in getting together, who cheats, etc.
Megan
While the author has a tendency to lapse into generalizations and focuses on his own story a lot, overall this book is a great read. He has a good style and is clearly smart. He also clearly cares about finding ways to have mature relationships. A man who recognizes the importance of work and responsibility in a relationship? A man who thinks a good mom is sexy? A man who intelligently analyzes the pros and cons of non-Western relationship ideals? The author is all these things. How heartening!
Esti
Sekuel kedua dari Franz Wisner ini menceritakan kelanjutan keliling dunianya.
Kali ini Franz dan Kurt punya misi untuk tahu apa arti cinta di beberapa negara.
It's fascinating to know what love is dari berbagai penduduk negara.
Ternyata cinta itu masih ada dan akan selalu ada, biarpun di negara dengan tingkat AIDS no 2 sedunia (Botswana), atau cinta lewat perjodohan (India)..
The most interesting part is when Franz realizes bahwa dia juga punya cinta dan merasakan cinta (pada akhirnya)..
Ali
Like the first, a pleasant, easy read while also offering a surprising amount of substance. While both involve travel, and thoughts on love and bouncing back from broken relationships, I would say the first is more about travel, and the second more about love, and both are what I had hoped to find in Eat, Pray, Love (which I hated).

Chris
The traveling and musings about love get five stars. I love travel writing, especially the humorous kind, so I loved that. The wisdom and words of the people he talked to, and the cultures he wrote about are fascinating. I docked it one star for his own personal love story, which was too gooey for me. Plus all I could think about when he talked about Tracy was, "He's dating Steve Sanders' psycho girlfriend!"
Cynthia Frazer
Hadn't read his first one, though I heard about it. Not as entertaining as it could have been, but come one, a little introspection would have benefited the guy. Maybe guys who are too good-looking have a handicap when it comes to the long haul.

Self-imposed.

this was a "blind date with a book" from the Main Library. I checked it out in a brown paper wrapper, not knowing what I was getting. Fun!
Sofyandi Sedar
Gue selalu suka membaca topik-topik backpacking. Tapi yang satu ini adalah yang terbaik. Dimulai dari brazil diakhiri di selandia baru. Disertai mengikuti kisah cintanya si franz. Dari pacaran dengan orang brazil, hingga menikah di altar tempat dicampakan. Pokoknya buku ini menyambung dari kisah buku pertamnya.

Sayang porsinya si adik, kurt, sangat sedikit. Tapi yang pasti happy endinglah.

Ju
Mr. Wisner's has terrific advice for those in love or looking for love. What Americans tend to focus on in terms of love or a mate is often more superficial compared to Botswana, Czech Republic, New Zealand, Brazil and the other places he traveled. I don't usually read travel books because I'd rather go there myself but it was great to have him do all the interviewing for me.
SallyJo
Entertaining and occasionally enlightening look at love and marriage in diverse countries. Franz and his brother are off globe trotting to poll the world about love. A cultural smorgasboard regarding attitudes and processes, as well as an insiders view to witnessing Franz's own emotional growth.

Honeymoon with My Brother not requried pre-reading.

Title of the book 5 16 Mar 30, 2009 03:37PM
  • The Gastronomy of Marriage: A Memoir of Food and Love
  • Back "Europe" Pack: Keliling Eropa 6 Bulan Hanya 1.000 Dolar
  • The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women: Get Off Your Butt and On with Your Training
  • Life Traveler
  • Don't Look Behind You!: A Safari Guide's Encounters with Ravenous Lions, Stampeding Elephants, and Lovesick Rhinos
  • I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This!: And Other Things That Strike Me as Funny
  • Home is a Roof Over a Pig: An American Family's Journey in China
  • Emotional Freedom: Liberate Yourself from Negative Emotions and Transform Your Life
  • Three Ways to Capsize a Boat: An Optimist Afloat
  • Larry's Kidney: Being the True Story of How I Found Myself in China with My Black Sheep Cousin and His Mail-Order Bride, Skirting the Law to Get Him a Transplant--and Save His Life
  • Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer: A Road Trip into the Heart of Fan Mania
  • What Shamu Taught Me About Life, Love, and Marriage: Lessons for People from Animals and Their Trainers
  • Great Britain (Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • Adventures of a Continental Drifter
  • The Power of Giving
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • Start Where You Are: Life Lessons in Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • The Woman Who Fell from the Sky
Franz Wisner has no idea what to label his profession. Writer? Travel addict? Professional dumpee? He is the NY Times bestselling author of Honeymoon with My Brother and the newly released How the World Makes Love.

He can be reached at either www.howtheworldmakeslove.com or www.honeymoonwithmybrother.com
"
More about Franz Wisner...
Honeymoon with My Brother: A Memoir Edelman and the Rise of Public Relations

“Czech Republics worst pick up line: What's a nice place like this doing around a women like you? ” 6 likes
“Surrender. That's an interesting term. We tend to see all forms of surrender as negative--war, sports, highway on-ramps. You'd never hear us describing a relationship as a type of surrender. But maybe we should. Is it wrong to cede the solo to the duet. Surrender doesn't mean you lose, only that you no longer wish to fight.” 5 likes