Start by marking “Boudica: Iron Age Warrior Queen” as Want to Read:
Boudica: Iron Age Warrior Queen

Boudica: Iron Age Warrior Queen

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  28 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews

Boudica, or Boadicea, queen of the Iceni, led a famous revolt against Roman rule in Britain in AD 60, sacking London, Colchester and St Albans and throwing the province into chaos. Although then defeated by the governor, Suetonius Paulinus, her rebellion sent a shock wave across the empire. Who was this woman who defied Rome? Boudica: Iron Age Warrior Queen is an account o
Published August 21st 2006 by Bloomsbury Academic (first published May 6th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Boudica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boudica

Oct 01, 2008 Sarah rated it it was ok
Gotta love Iron-age warrior queens!
Jordan
May 27, 2014 Jordan rated it it was ok
I find Boudica to be extremely fascinating. What's not to love about a woman in charge? However, this book was fairly boring. In my opinion it spent too much time focusing on how Queen B has been portrayed though out history - post life. Of course I was interested in all of the art depicting her, I just felt that a little more time could have been devoted to the history of her as we know it.

In addition to the scattershot method of focus, the actual writing was pretty bland. Educational books do
Faith Justice
Jul 14, 2014 Faith Justice rated it really liked it
Shelves: research
Since I first heard of Boudica, I've been fascinated by her tragic story: wronged queen, vengeful mother, freedom fighter for her people, warrior queen who came this close to throwing the mighty Roman Empire off the island of Britain. Over the years, I've collected books and articles--many useful and most fanciful. I found Boudica: Iron Age Warrior Queen to be an incredibly useful book--actually two books. "Part I: Boudica" explores the known classical sources, archaeology, and numismatics relat ...more
Milly Hunter
Oct 15, 2009 Milly Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: about-ancestors
I thoroughly enjoyed watching the movie about this book, written about my ancestor Boudica.

"Boudica was tall, terrible to look on and gifted with a powerful voice. A flood of bright red hair ran down to her knees; she wore a golden necklet made up of ornate pieces, a multi-coloured robe and over it a thick cloak held together by a brooch. She took up a long spear to cause dread in all who set eyes on her."

"'They are men who bathe in warm water, eat artificial dainties, drink unmixed wine, anoin
Ashley
Sep 11, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it
This book was a fast read at some parts. I loved how so many different perspectives were shown to the reader and these perspectives were from throughout history. The evidence presented of some of Boudica's actions, along with photographs, helped understand more about who the Iceni people were. Some of the information got very wordy and made it easy to get bogged down. Overall, it was very informative.
John
I've found this rather heavy-going - I'm not attuned to biography from archaeological evidence. I'm very interested in Boudica though and hope to get back to it.
Nina
Oct 19, 2013 Nina rated it really liked it
Excellent summary of the historical and archeological record about this intriguing woman and the way she has been portrayed through the centuries.
Erica Hammond
Erica Hammond marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Albus
Albus marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Zoe
Zoe rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
janine
janine marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Arnie
Arnie added it
Feb 19, 2016
Pedro
Pedro marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Lela
Lela marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Ginella Bakke
Ginella Bakke marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Msfields
Msfields marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Laura M. Pawlak
Laura M. Pawlak rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
Mairead
Mairead rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Derek Mcdermott
Derek Mcdermott rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2015
Katra
Katra marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Zoe H.
Zoe H. added it
Apr 02, 2016
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Jayme Gardner
Jayme Gardner marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
B Stephan
B Stephan marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015