Start by marking “Down by the Station” as Want to Read:
Down by the Station

Down by the Station

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Join Will Hillenbrand's group of mischievous, playful, and sleepy baby animals on their way to the children's zoo. You'd better hurry, though . . . they can't be late to greet the first busload of children!
Published October 1st 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Down by the Station, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down by the Station

The Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgFreight Train by Donald CrewsTrains by Byron BartonThe Little Red Caboose by Marian Potter
Picture Books about Trains
15th out of 108 books — 42 voters
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinBark, George by Jules FeifferThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
103rd out of 289 books — 131 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy
This book takes a children's song and extends it, by having the train go through the zoo, picking up baby animals along the way.
Elements of mystery and danger are added, as well as the pleasure of repetition. My expectations were low going into this; I was very pleasantly surprised.
Asho
This was a really fun read and it hits the trifecta of favorite things for my almost-two-year-old: trains, animals, and a (very briefly featured) bus.
I like that you can sing this--something my child always finds appealing--and that the original song has been expanded to include sounds for each zoo animal is picked up by the train. It includes sound effects for animals that you don't typically think of as having "sounds" (the panda says "grump grump," for instance). I also like that it parallel
Jenny
Down by the station was a very easy book. The book included a variety of baby animals and their proper names. It showed what they should be called when they're born and also it has a lot of repetition the the noises that the animals make as well. I would read this book to maybe some 3 year olds and go around the classroom with an engineer hat andpick up the children as they make noises. I would very much use this book in a classroom because their is a variety of ways to interact with the childre ...more
Samantha Penrose
Nov 25, 2008 Samantha Penrose rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2-4 year olds
Shelves: kids-books
My three year old absolutely loves books that are sung rather than read...They not only capture his attention, but they are easy for him to commit to memory. This book includes some cumulative text which is simple to read, but provides a good mental workout if you have to memorize it!
This book will also school you and your child on some animal baby names...elephant-calf, flamingo-chick, panda-cub, tiger-cub, seal-pup, and kangaroo-joey.
The illustrations have a lot to look at and talk about. It b
Relyn
Nov 03, 2013 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents and teachers of preschoolers
Recommended to Relyn by: 100 Readers Project
Shelves: lawsonland
A while back I found this really cool project on Youtube. To celebrate the 100th anniversary of their domed reading room, the State Library of Victoria, Australia filmed 100 readers sharing bits of their favorite books. This is the commentary with each video:
Over the past century, our magnificent domed reading room has inspired generations of writers, artists, researchers, students and visitors. More than a remarkable architectural accomplishment, it represents all that we have to offer the worl
Jalen
This is a great,fun and engaging story for young children. Along witht he many different choo choo train sounds the animals picked up along the way by the conductor are incoprtaed as well witht he many different noises and sounds they make. This is a great story for children to become familiar with the sounds of zoo animals and many different fun activities can incorparated along witht the story and educators can even have an animal train station of their own in the classroom.
Sujeewa Ranasinghe
Down by the Station is a very interesting book to read for young children and they can enjoy different words sounds. Repetitive words and illustrations give big help to memorize the story, therefore, young children can read the book by themselves. Children get oppertunity to learn about animals, their sounds and identify how they walk. This is a very good book to encourage children act like animals and train.
Paige
I really thought this book was cute and great for elementary age students. I thought the picture/illustrations were cute and would catch the eye of the students. The animals that are in there as well would entertain them easily. I also love that it is a song that way the students can sing along as well. You can read through it once and then the second time have them sing along. Great book!
Paula Heller
If your child has an interest in trains and collects train models this is a great book from them, because the story is about a train that picks up all kinds of animal passengers. The story helps children find their independence by preparing them into childcare and school. They learn that even young animals are separated from their parents at times.
Austin Francis
Can you say BORING??? It doesn't help that I don't know how the song goes, but that book was not interesting at all. I know that children's songs don't usually have much to them and it is more about the melody than the words, but since I don't know the melody, the words just couldn't keep my interest. I trucked through and finished it anyway.
Abby
Such a cute book! I already knew the song since I learned it in elementary school but the pictures made the story so much better! I loved seeing all the animals, especially the babies and when they decided to join the train. This would definitely be a fun book to read to a young group of children and have them participate. (:
Holly N.
The use of animals and onomatopoeic words repeated throughout the narrative of Down by the Station by Will Hillenbrand makes for a fun and engaging story. It is a useful teaching tool for teaching children about baby animals and the sounds that are associated with each animal and thing. The illustrations are beautiful, and I would recommend the book for teaching young children about sequencing.
Elizabeth Brown
I love the colors in this book. Children can learn about animals while pretending to ride on a train. The book also includes a lyric sheet in the back of the book. Children can sing and dance to the tune. Children can also echo/repeat the puff, puff, toot, toot, thrump, thrump sounds made in the book.
Jacqueline Lewis
This is a fun book to read to children. They will love the different sounds the animals make and at the same time learn about the animals and where they can be found. I would use this book to build on children's memory skills by letting them try to remember the sequence of the animals and sounds.
Donna Smith
This book has great content for young children. The repetition of word along with the sound of the engine and the animals, children will have a lot of fun listening and imitating. Not only will children enjoy the story, they will also learn names of baby animals.
Kelcey
I loved that someone put illustrations with this book so I could have a visual based on this classic song. This book builds with sounds which is a lot of fun for memory games. This book also teaches the names of baby animals and I liked it a lot.
Ayana
The book highlights repetition of sounds and words. The book also has neat way of incorporating order of animals and counting. The book can be used in many aspects of literature including but limited to math.
Chantana
The content in this book is great for young children. This books teaches young children about different animals and the zoo. The illustrations are direct attention grabbers and simply draw the younger reader in.
Olesya Johnson
This is a fun book to get children invole, by acting out the story in many different ways. It does a great job of representing the names of each animal.The book has some repetition.
Yohan Choi
* The book with rhyming and repeated words teach that the Children can learn them so fun!

* Young readers will read the book about sounds of unit of animals.
Patricia Iluonakhamhe
This is colorful and easy book to read. Good illustrations to connect children to learning and children learn fast by repetition. Way to learn fast.
Justyna Johns
Love it. Wonderful book to use as a transitioning tool. It has very colorful illustrations. This book sings itself. Introducing several animals.
Kristina
Fun to sing this book, although a bit long for younger toddlers in a story time setting.
Keren
Great book for teching memory and seriation. This book also delves into science by introducing baby animal names and sounds they make with onomatopoeia. This is a good read for children before taking a trip to the zoo.
Brandi
This lovely illustrated picture book uses the classic children's rhyming song to describe how a train picks up animals and takes them to the zoo in the morning. Sweet and fun.
Katie
Jun 03, 2014 Katie added it
Shelves: 1-000-books
IIIIIII
Kirei
My son said this book was cute. The lyrics to the kid's song are printed, and you can see various animals being taken away by train and their parents watching them leave. Then they arrive at a zoo of sorts and play with children you see getting off a bus. (One girl is in a wheelchair.)

Although this may not be a wise choice if you are a homeschooler, lol.
Josie B.
Singing naturally breaks words into their smaller parts, helping children with phonological awareness. This is one of my favorite books to sing in storytime. A concept book-- it teaches the name of baby animals- it also has plot and opportunities for children to participate. Pair it with Rod Campbell's Dear Zoo for a zoo theme.
Mhm Storytelling
Description: the story goes to many different depots. Each depot have a different type of transportation and each makes different sounds.

Themes: transportation

Great Features: good pictures

Red flags: not much of a story line

opportunity for interaction: very predictable, kids can make the transportation sound effects
Jordan
This is by far one of my little boys favorite stories - we have to read it every night - usually a couple times before he will go to sleep. He knows the story by heart and loves the song that goes to it. He is fascinated with "choo-choo's" and always wants this choo-choo story read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Baby Beluga
  • Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo
  • Jump!
  • 1, 2, 3 to the Zoo
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • Rattletrap Car
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Clap Your Hands
  • Do Like a Duck Does!
Will Hillenbrand is the illustrator of many children's books, including THIS LITTLE PIGGY, edited by Jane Yolen, and KISS THE COW! by Phyllis Root. He is also the author-illustrator of DOWN BY THE STATION. He lives in Terrace Park, Ohio with his wife, Jane, and their son, Ian.
More about Will Hillenbrand...
Spring Is Here Kite Day: A Bear and Mole Story Off We Go! Down by the Barn Snowman's Story