Start by marking “The Story of Cirrus Flux” as Want to Read:
The Story of Cirrus Flux

The Story of Cirrus Flux

Orphan boy Cirrus Flux is being watched. Merciless rogues are conniving to steal the world's most divine power, which they believe Cirrus has inherited. Now he faces a perilous journey through the backstreets of London as a sinister mesmerist, a tiny man with an all-seeing eye, & a skull-collecting scoundrel pursue him.
Published July 28th 2009 by Puffin

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Cirrus Flux, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Cirrus Flux

Ben Babcock
I had to dive into the children’s section of my library to get this one. I haven’t been in there for ages. There were short people around! And all the shelves are much shorter! Still, it was worth it. The Story of Cirrus Flux is an interesting attempt to set a children’s adventure novel in Georgian Britain. Matthew Skelton’s breadth of imagination makes for some entertaining characters and rambunctious action scenes. Nevertheless, the plotting is underwhelming and frayed at the edges, and I was ...more
Linda
Oct 12, 2016 Linda rated it liked it
Cute but not appropriate for my high school students
Heather
I'm seeing a lot of poor reviews, but I really enjoyed this one. The story is not so much about "The Breath of God," but more about the young foundlings, so anyone expecting The Golden Compass is going to be baffled, but anyone just looking for an adventure ought to enjoy it.
Madhumita
Apr 04, 2016 Madhumita rated it liked it
The plot had an interesting idea but was too slow. The rising action took up most of the book and the main action was crammed in the end. The ending wasn't satisfying either.
Conan Tigard
The Story of Cirrus Flux is an interesting with a cool concept. Enlightenment science was all the rage back in the late 1700's, so having found something called the Breath of God really peaked the interest in the Guild of Empirical Science. That is why James Flux went on another mission, to discover more about it, whether it be for knowledge or profit. That is also why members of the same organization are after Cirrus Flux, because they have discovered that he has the spherical token that contai ...more
Laura Martinelli
Mar 15, 2010 Laura Martinelli rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, arc
Jan 28, 2016 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Starts slow...(this could just be me; I've been in a bit of a reading slump lately), but it did catch my curiosity within a reasonable amount of time. One reason for the slowness was the alternating between time periods. Parts of the book are set earlier and are visited when it becomes relevant to the present. I had to go back and look at the part titles and dates to figure out what was going on. Again this was resolved fairly quickly.

There is quite a bit of alternating in this book. The first i
Alison C
Mar 09, 2015 Alison C rated it really liked it
The Story of Cirrus Flux, by Matthew Skelton, tells the tale of a young orphan boy in 1780s London, who is being raised in the Foundling Hospital, a place were poor folks leave the children they can't afford to keep, usually leaving a token with the child so that the child knows it was loved. But Cirrus doesn't have a token, or at least he thinks he doesn't; turns out that his father left him a sphere on a chain (so it could be worn around the neck), a sphere which has amazing properties. You se ...more
Ryn
Apr 18, 2012 Ryn rated it liked it
I think this book was a lot better than Endymion Spring! I had to read them both because (wonder of wonders), I heard it was for Potterheads.

Hmmm. Once again, kindly STOP this comparison.

Having said that, this was okay. It was a children's book, and not (as I'd thought) YA. But this story was much more... cohesive (?) than the other. I'm not saying I totally understood it, since I think there's a lot that Skelton just kind of throws into the air and leaves unexplained (although, again, this is
D.w.
Sep 07, 2016 D.w. rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
This is a YA charmer. As such there is a shortness in the book hidden by the larger type and openness of paragraph kerning and spacing. A read that takes but a few short hours to consume.

There is treasure here, but it is hidden, and the telling of the story seems to be only opened like an onion with revealing flashback chapters that come at you in layers. For the younger person this reveal might indeed be just the thing, but for those of us older, we can see where there is a larger, greater amo
Samrudhi Sridharan
Aug 17, 2012 Samrudhi Sridharan rated it it was ok
After Endymion Spring, this book was just a let down.
It has such a wonderful premise, I have no idea why he would just let half the story just hang. The end was anti- climatic and I don't really think Cirrus got the amount of time he deserved. He was thrown into the middle of the action, he spent some time there, got out, without really contributing to what was happening.
Maybe it is a little misleading that the book is called "The Story of Cirrus Flux". That leads to the presumption that he is
Brynn
Sep 19, 2010 Brynn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
book review for school library system #1

* * *

This story had a lot of similarities to "The Golden Compass" but none of the strong story telling or originality. The language was too complex for a 12 year old, but a 14/15-year old wouldn't want to read the story. It was confusing at times even for me because the fantasy elements were not explained well. The conclusion was lackluster at best, with no real end. It felt like the author simply stopped writing. The main mystery of the novel, having to d
Jenni
May 02, 2011 Jenni rated it liked it
I had a hard time with this story at first, but sticking with it was worth the time, for shortly into it, I was compelled to witness the outcome. It read a little bit like a Dickens' story to me, perhaps mainly because it was about orphaned children in Victorian England and their escape from brutal adult figures who are preying upon the unfortunate lads (and lassy) for some mystical reason, unbeknownst to the children. Ehhhh, Dickens is definitely better, but I would not be surprised if Skelton' ...more
Carrie Holder
Mar 03, 2014 Carrie Holder rated it liked it
This historical and adventurous tale for children 8-13 reminds me of a mixture of story styles from Charles Dickens, Jules Verne, and Phillip Pullman. This book is well written using lots of active verbs and similes to create colorful characters and adventurous scenes full of suspense. The draw back of this book is that it skips around a lot and the storylines can be confusing and there was an occasional plot hole. This book has to be read a couple of times to grasp the clarity of the plot and t ...more
Carol
Jan 28, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Quick read, but lots of fun and adventure. I wanted the story to last longer and would like to read more about these characters, who really developed their personalities throughout the book.
I was a little confused through the first 3rd of the book about who the characters were in relation to each other. It is explained later, but I wanted more. There was a lot of excitement, a little bit of mystery, science, and illusion. I will definitely look for more books by this author.
Andrey Burak
Dec 09, 2012 Andrey Burak rated it liked it

Entertaining, but lacking in depth.
Ive never read anything by Matthew Skelton before but was pleasantly entertained by his sophomore work.
Skelton uses a lot of word play within this work but I wish he focused more on character development...
Everyone seems to say his debut novel was great so I'll have to give that a shot
Markus
Mar 24, 2014 Markus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great steampunk adventure about a boy left at an orphanage with a spherical token that holds special powers.

Some of the ending was a little unclear to me. I felt there was some mystery that needed to be unraveled a little more. But the flavor and the detail of the book were great. And if there were a sequel, I would read it as well.
Johnny Bennett
Jul 26, 2011 Johnny Bennett rated it really liked it
A story of 1700's London style life for an orphan. But this story includes magic and mayhem. Told from the view of two different characters as their lives cross. The story reads fast and flows well, though the ending struck me as a bit abrupt. A light read for early teens or so with a little bit of grittiness to it.
Apr 22, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
I guess the best 'sell' on this to students would be as a type of steampunk for younger readers. It had a good plot, although the flashbacks made it somewhat difficult to follow. I'm wondering if there will be a sequel, it seemed to leave the reader hanging at the end, and wanting more info (ie- explore this concept of Pandora having a twin, and did James Flux really die in that storm?)
Julie
Feb 25, 2013 Julie rated it it was ok
A kids book and a pretty good story with a disappointing ending.
Cirrus has been left at a hospital to be raised while his father goes on an expedition to the end of the world. His mother died in childbirth and his father had nowhere to put him while he went on his exploration so he left him where he himself had been raised, intending to pick him up when the exploration ended.
Caity
Oct 19, 2014 Caity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting story but in the end i was left wanting more, there were a few things that were not very well explained which was disappointing. Overall i liked the characters and the idea of the story more than the story itself. One thing i did enjoy about the book was the way it moved backwards and forwards in time interweaving the story of Cirrus and his father.
Shane
I'll give this a "3" because the writing style was very good and the author did a great job at immersing the reader into 18th century London. However, the plot was lacking, as very, very little actually happens. Also, the whole "Breath of God", the main plot device, wasn't even explained.
Connie
Apr 12, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
During the Age of Enlightenment, there is some fantasy, but most of it fits in to the ideas of science of the times.
Varsha Seshan
Jul 04, 2014 Varsha Seshan rated it really liked it
If we studied history through stories, how much more we would remember!
Carterkempgmail.Com
This was a pretty good historical fantasy, very similar to the F.E. Higgins & Gideon the Cutpurse series in setting and tone.
Kaethe
Jul 14, 2014 Kaethe marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: orphans
Loved the hot air balloon and the title. Last week I was able to look without grabbing, but not this week.
Ingrid Morris
Another 12ish aged orphan boy finds he's more than he thinks he is. Yawn. But, not a bad read for younger tween boys. Added bonus if you are a fan of victorian England.
Denelle
Feb 19, 2013 Denelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: happiness-shelf, kids
I ADORED this book. Riveting writing, fascinating plot, exciting adventures, and charming characters. The book on CD is wonderful, and the book itself is a treasure.
Rachel
Mar 19, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it
Great historical setting and lots of great characters. Pacing is off.
Shree
Shree rated it did not like it
Mar 04, 2014
  • The Coming of the Dragon
  • Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • The Baboons Who Went This Way and That
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • The Eyes of a King (The Last Descendants, #1)
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • Knightley Academy (Knightley Academy, #1)
  • Spoken From The Front: Real Voices From the Battlefields of Afghanistan
  • The Feng Shui Junkie
  • The 2012 Story: The Myths, Fallacies, and Truth Behind the Most Intriguing Date in History
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • The Brimstone Key (Grey Griffins: The Clockwork Chronicles, #1)
  • The Witch Queen (Fern Capel, #3)
  • Vampire Forensics: Uncovering the Origins of an Enduring Legend
  • Albion: The Origins of the English Imagination
  • A Brave Vessel: The True Tale of the Castaways Who Rescued Jamestown and Inspired Shakespeare's The Tempest
Matthew Skelton was born in the UK but spent most of his childhood in Canada. He started writing while working as a teaching assistant at the University of Mainz, continued when he came back to Oxford to work as a research assistant. In 2002 he won Richard and Judy's short story competition. Endymion Spring is his first novel.
More about Matthew Skelton...