Ethics: A History of Moral Thought

Ethics: A History of Moral Thought

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Presents a look at our history as ethical beings. Boston College professor Peter Kreeft delivers a course addressing some of the questions man has been asking since the beginning of time. What is good? What is bad? Why is justice important? Why is it better to be good and just than it is to be bad and unjust?
Published 2004 by Modern Scholar

Clare Cannon
Apr 25, 2013 Clare Cannon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone 15+ (no exceptions!)
Recommended to Clare by: the author
A brilliant, brilliant audio presentation which every person needs to hear. Please, listen to this, take your time, consider the questions, even argue if you like, but don't ignore this.

The other day I was at a book presentation and overheard a lady saying to some others 'I don't have time for philosophy, it's too hard keeping up with real life, let alone philosophy!' I nearly cried.

The things Professor Kreeft discusses in this course concern the very foundations of our society, law, culture and...more
Suneel Akkineni
I am listening to the book second time after year or so and I appreciate this course more than before. Professor Kreeft did an amazing job with the design of the course as well as reading it. He made a subject like 'History of Ethics' as enjoyable as any other best seller!

Now, take that with a pinch of salt! Since I have a keen interest in the subject, there is a possibility that I am influenced (*biased*). Nonetheless, it is a great book. I never listened to or read any other book which so eff...more
Leif Denti
Föreläsningsserie om etikens och moralens framväxt med start Sokrates. Varje lektion tar upp en (eller ett par) filosofer på området. Totalt 14 lektioner a 30-40 min. Jag tyckte första halvan var bäst då den drar upp etikens fundament och stora frågeställningar. I stort bra och läs(hör)värd då den ger en enkel och bra förståelse för de viktigaste filosofernas position inom området. Jag gillade också att professorn var uppmuntrande och själv mycket intresserad av området.
Lee at All Ears
Ethics: A History of Moral Thought by Prof. Peter Kreef. This work on ethics was very well presented with an enjoyable amount of history and a solid dose the eternal questions we face on right and wrong, good and bad. It was very informative to have it presented with a strong historical timeline which made me feel like I was watching our civilization build up our foundation of values marble stone by marble stone. And to see how the great minds had such different perspectives and reached differin...more
Mike
this was a good course, interesting, but ultimately strangely unenlightening. I think I've discovered why philosophy will ultimately never really hold my interest as a subject - it always comes down to arguing terms, and then deciding that words don't really mean anything anyway, or only what we think they mean - it all melts away like a snowflake in your palm. This course does do a good job of presenting the ancient viewpoint, and then contrasting that with revolutionaries as they pop up - Mach...more
Gloriavirtutisumbra
Excellent author! He is able to do that most difficult thing: make philosophers comprehensible (and in an amusing way too)!! I listened to this in order to try to understand what a dear friend was trying to teach, and found much to think about. This author is so good i am willing to see how well he can explain the summa theologica of Aquinas. Something i'm not sure id ever attempt, but with Kreeft writing the 'cliff notes' version, then maybe there's hope after all.
Philip
Brilliant analysis of Ethics in light of philosophy. Sure, this approach may not lend itself to giving you all the answers, but it will leave you asking the right questions. For example, I walked away asking myself why, for all our advances, modernized nations have the highest suicide rates, and "underdeveloped" nations have some of the lowest. Why is happiness elusive? What is the greatest good and why haven't we found it?
Peter
Mac talked of running the half marathon at the London Marathon with some new friends he's made in London. I was excited by this, thinking maybe I could get fit enough to join him. Started surfing to the Running Times website and generally getting caught up in the desire to get back to running. . . .
Michael
I enjoyed these lectures. I'm always amazed by how he's able to present this material without being dry, overly technical, or boring. Kudos to Peter Kreeft! Worth relistening to if you're interested in the subject of ethics.
Rafał
the course is very interesting and easy to listen to. I would have given it a higher rating If not for the complete omission of Darwinizm that blew up the old way of understanding ethics.
Maggie
i really enjoy these lecture series. they are succinct, informative, and easy to listen to. pdf files to review the particulars.
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Cindy
Cindy added it
Jul 08, 2014
Jorge Araya navarro
Jorge Araya navarro marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Kwame Antwi-boasiako
Kwame Antwi-boasiako marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Mohdsobrun Jamal
Mohdsobrun Jamal marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Jason
Jason is currently reading it
May 12, 2014
Sadia Qadir
Sadia Qadir is currently reading it
Mar 31, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Cynthia Armistead
Cynthia Armistead marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Azeo Laxerz
Azeo Laxerz marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Peter Kreeft is a Catholic apologist, professor of philosophy at Boston College and The King's College, and author of over 45 books including Fundamentals of the Faith , Everything you Ever Wanted to Know about Heaven , and Back to Virtue . Some consider him the best Catholic philosopher currently residing in the United States. His ideas draw heavily from religious and philosophical tradition, esp...more
More about Peter Kreeft...
Handbook of Christian Apologetics Between Heaven & Hell Socrates Meets Jesus: History's Greatest Questioner Confronts the Claims of Christ The Philosophy of Tolkien: The Worldview Behind the Lord of the Rings Making Sense Out of Suffering