Start by marking “Speed Dating (NASCAR, #2)” as Want to Read:
Speed Dating (NASCAR, #2)

Speed Dating (Harlequin NASCAR #2)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  1,981 ratings  ·  177 reviews

One minute I'm locked out of my hotel room, and the next... Dylan Hargreave thinks I'm an actress paid to pose as his girlfriend at a North Carolina society wedding. How did this happen to me, of all people? Kendall Clarke, award-winning actuary, the veritable shining star of number crunchers who, just hours ago, learned her responsible fiancé (sorry, ex-fiancé) called off

ebook
Published February 1st 2007 by Harlequin Books

To ask other readers questions about Speed Dating, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speed Dating

Dina
I only finished this book because I'm stubborn and kept hoping things would get better. Unfortunately, they never did and I just lost two hours of my life.

Dylan and Kendall were annoyingly stupid and had zero chemistry together. He spent the whole book as a pawn to his ex-wife's demands, to the point that he just let her sit on his lap and kiss him passionately, all the while finding nothing wrong with it - and that happened very close to the end of the book, not at the beginning or even at the
Best_beloved
She’s an underappreciated actuary in a rut, he’s a dashing NASCAR driver who needs a date - they have no sexual chemistry!

There are a couple of things I really liked about this book. I think it's hilarious that Kendall Clarke (heroine) is an actuary – not a secretary or a model or an airline flight attendant or a more typical romance novel occupation. And she uses her actuary powers to fend off an unwanted advance. How cool is that? But what really warmed my heart was Dylan Hargreave (hero) hav
Booklover
It is a cute enjoyable romance though few things really really got me angry but still it was a good read

Kendall is up for award and an hour before her speech her fiance comes to her door and tells her he fell in love with another co-worker and she is having his baby. kendall end up meeting dylan a racecar driver who thinks she is a actress thats supposed to be his date to ex-wife wedding. so after a bunch of things happen kendall goes with dylan to race track to keep his ex-wife at bay and he en
Mojca
Not so much of a romance than a NASCAR tribute, but still a lovely and entertaining read. Made me want to clobber the hero over the head a few times, but I loved the heroine. Her gradual change from shy mouse to feisty lioness determined to fight for what she wants was almost bitter-sweet and slow enough to make it believable.

I’ve never been to a NASCAR race but this book made me want to give it a try. I could almost hear the roar of the engines and see the colorful cars fly along the track.

I ha
Highland-dreamer
Kimberly
Read it while passing the time today. It was actually pretty good. The free e-reads from Harlequin were hit and miss in their quality. This one was one of the better ones. It glosses over the smexy smexy parts which is okay if you're reading under your monitor stand at work. You're definitely left outside the bedroom door.

One problem was a lot of the parts were glossed over. Six weeks passed in a single double space with little explanation of what happened. Granted "they went to a race, he finis
Wendy
This is my first Harlequin category romance in a very long time - since I was about 19 or 20. The last time I read any category romance (let's call that the early 1980's), the heroines were only just emerging from the era of "orphaned governess seeking work in a draughty castle somewhere in the mountains of Bavaria". The heroes almost all had noses described as 'aquiline', and were almost all angry or at least uncommunicative and judgmental, and surrounded by people whose purpose was to excuse t ...more
Mahasin
This was a stupid book. Maybe I was expecting something... I don't know, even remotely "hot" or "romantic" because it's a harlequin romance, but this was neither hot nor romantic. It was insipid. Kendall Clarke is stupid and I wanted to hit her with an actuaries guide, upside the head, repeatedly. And I don't normally have violent impulses to "heroines" in books.

There weren't even any good racing puns, I was at the very least expecting "her body was thrown into overdrive" or hilarious pit stop r
Nicola
Another predictable yet sweet romance. Dylan and Kendall fight against their feelings throughout the entire book- yet you knew from the start they would end up together. Good on Kendall for sticking to her own beliefs, despite some changes purely for Dylan's benefit.
I must admit I did feel there was more to the story with Ashlee and the preemie fundraising going on. I thought that would be the explanation for Dylan's adverse reaction to commitment, which in the end was never really explained.
Jess
This was a cute little contemporary romance. I got it free through the kindle so there was no harm in me trying it. I've never read anything by Warren but I thought it was pretty good.

Basically a story about a woman who is tired of being the toe-the-line personality and she decides to live a little and ends up involved with a high risk Nascar Driver.

Definitely one of those books you read when you want to see a nice HEA romance going on. I would read the author again.
Nenette
A romantic novel that brought out not a few sighs from me. I just couldn't get over the almost impossible circumstances involved. Well that is if I don't get beyond an award-winning actuary agreeing to be the pretend girlfriend of a celebrity NASCAR driver. But considering her tumbled emotions at the time they accidentally met, I think I can live with it. Recommended for fans of romance novels who enjoys a quick read.
Peckomingo
Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged.

Nozomi
So when I heard that there was a official NASCAR imprint for Harlequin, I pretty much laughed my head off. I mean, who seriously reads these? (Other than me.) Being a fan of NASCAR but not a fan of trashy romance, I had to read one of these novels. Of course, I wasn't going to pay for it. Heck no. But when Harlequin had their free eBooks for their 60th anniversary, I downloaded one.

The book really cut to the chase. It started off with the protagonist's fiance dumping her simply because he got th
Judy
Speed Dating by Nancy Warren
Harlequin NASCAR Series Library
Kendall Clarke was having a tough night when it should have been the best time of her actuary life. Instead her fiance gives her some bad news and breaks up with her and then she’s mistaken for a race car drivers date…..to his ex-wife’s wedding. Suddenly her boring world turns upside down and she likes it.

Dylan Hargeave has been going through a tough patch with his racing, but his luck seemed to change with Kendall at his side. Her kisse
Kasey
I didn't feel like this book was a complete waste of time, but I was a little let down. To be fair I'm sure some people would like this book more than me. But for me the development wasn't what I would expect and the character development was lacking. It started off strong, but things just kind of stalled. I prefer the emotional stuff to drag me in and in Speed Dating all the problems were neatly glossed over and just instantly gone. It was a little to pretty and neat without really letting the ...more
Natalia
There are only a small handful of actuaries that appear in books or movies. One of them is actually in this book, which is why I read it. (I'm an actuary too)

Up front, I will say that Warren leans too heavily on the actuaries-are-humorless-and-socially-stunted stereotype, there is no need for that. Also, none of the major actuarial professional societies give out anything at all like Warren's "Sharpened Pencil" award for actuary of the year. I don't even know what that would mean.

That grumbling
Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne
This was an OK read. The writing was okay and there were no technical problems. I didn't give more stars because, even though this is obviously a light read and a less serious romance, too many things didn't make sense and the characters were cliched, cookie cutouts. Kendle and Dylan were okay though both of them were extremely one-dimensional and cliche, the rest of the characters, in my opinion were not needed because they really didn't enhance the plot. Ashlee, for instance only served as an ...more
Anastasia
Kendall Clarke calculates risk for a living, but never takes any. She likes her drab suits and trite fiance, and has no complaints about either, since her safe and steadfast attitude earns her Actuary of the Year and the prestigious Sharpened Pencil Award. Hours before receiving the award, however, Kendall’s fiance tells her that he’s leaving her for a co-worker … and unborn child. In the midst of trying to keep calm and carry on, Kendall runs into celebrity NASCAR driver Dylan Hargreave. For th ...more
Michelle
This was a pretty good book and a little different from what I normally read, spice-wise. I really enjoyed the characters, Dylan and Kendall. I thought that they had some great interactions and I really loved that they built a friendship. There was some great humor in this story and I loved the growth that Kendall underwent as she discovered who she was outside of the office and how she truly wanted to live her life. Dylan was a great opposite to Kendall with his life in the fast lane while Kend ...more
Christine Blachford
So, when you pick up a romance novel, you know exactly what you’re getting and they are not my kind of book. It being set in the beautiful motorsport paddocks made no difference to this whatsoever. Romance novels are silly, this we know. They are nothing like real life, people don’t ever talk to each other like that, and things like this don’t happen to regular people. Even so, to bring motorsport into the mix is interesting to me, so I read it.

Oh dear.

Thrown together in the most unlikely circum
Crystie
Dylan Hargreave is a NASCAR driver and Kendall is an actuary. The way that Dylan and Kendall meet is extremely farfetched and yet hilarious. Their fantastic first date and everything that happens was so interesting that I wanted to read more and more! Unfortunately, I did not really stay hooked so much as I finished this book because I had started it.

There is some awkward language that just detracts from the story. For instance towards the end of the book they visit a friend and Kendall notes t
Paige
Had trouble enjoying this one for some reason.

After her engagement is abruptly ended right before a big speech of acceptance, Kendall Clarke is mistaken by NASCAR driver Dylan Hargreave as his pretend girlfriend to accompany him to his ex wife's wedding. Btw, his ex is obsessed with him.

After enjoying her company, Dylan isn't mad to find out her true identity when she gives her speech and calls out her ex who broke up with her.

In fact he wants her to accompany him to the race to keep his ex awa
Kendra
Book reviewed as a guest post for BonaFide Reflections. Please see full review for excerpt and highlights at: http://bit.ly/taOg2d

Review:
Speed Dating is certainly speedy. I found this book on Kindle as I was browsing through titles one day. I hadn’t heard of Nancy Warren before, but the story seemed intriguing enough, so I decided to give it a shot.

Basically Kendall has her whole life laid out in front of her. She is about to receive a prestigious award within her profession when her fiancé dro
Geraldine
I really, really lové this book. I must admit that this book has introduced me to thé World Of NASCAR (and now I'm such à fan). Anyway, à little background about thé NASCAR séries Of Harlequin, thé sériés has nô vulgar content because the NASCAR committee wanted it to be wholesome since thé association has Young fans and thé Committee thought that it would not be appropriate if thé heroes in thé sériés would display inappropriate behavior. Anyway, thé book is à perfect example of how two differe ...more
Amaryllis Turman
Main characters Dylan Hargreave and Kendall meet under crazy circumstances. Dylan is a NASCAR driver with an ex-wife who thinks they are destined to be together. So when Dylan goes to her wedding, he knows that he had to bring a date and appear to be in love to prove to Ashlee the ex that he has moved on relationship wise.

Kendall is an actuary (sidenote: before reading this book I had no idea what an actuary was) having a pretty good life until her fiancé tells her that he cheated on her with a
Stephanie
For someone who thinks NASCAR is absolutely ridiculous and can't understand how it's enjoyable to watch cars go in circles for hours, I wasn't sure how I would feel about this book. But, I did like it.
The story line focused mainly on the relationship between the main characters, with (in my opinion) little emphasis on the "sport" of NASCAR. I liked the development of Kendall's character as she rebels against the type of person she had become and breaks out of the shell that she had enclosed arou
Janice (Janicu)
The premise is that stiff, 31 year old actuary, Kendall Clarke finds out that her equally bland fiance Marvin has been having an affair with another coworker, and that coworker is pregnant. This is hours before Kendall is supposed to be awarded at an association dinner. Reeling from the blow, Kendall gets locked out of the room in her slip. Of course, she sneaks into another guest's room at the hotel when she sees 3 of her bosses walking down the hallway, and through a misunderstanding ends up p ...more
Mary Graham
To me, a pretty good book is 3 stars, a very good book is 4. To get 5, a book has to have something special. What that is can vary, but most books won't make it to 5 with me. This one is the exception.

Speed Dating's set up was over the top. The pace was over the top. What else could I expect from my first NASCAR romance but a read fast enough to make me want to speed to the finish line. Ms. Warren gives good book.

I'll admit to a little nostalgia here. I'm not a NASCAR fan but the sport is in m
Jennifer Reyes
A feel good book.

okay so I really like this book and have read and re-read it whenever I just want to smile. It's cute! kind of like a good lifetime movie in book format. The leading lady is a very responsible,predictable by the book girl and the male a wild, no women can tame good old boy that have a very unusual, interesting meeting what else could they do but fall in love.
Stephanie Haefner
  • Once A Cowboy (The Cowboys, #3)
  • Dancing In The Moonlight (Cowboys of Cold Creek, #2)
  • Stranded with a Spy (Code Name: Danger #11)
  • The Bride's Baby
  • Slow Hands
  • Baby Bonanza
  • Crime Scene At Cardwell Ranch (Cardwell Ranch #1)
  • Price of Passion
  • Snowbound
  • A Very Special Delivery
  • Homespun Bride (The McKaslin Clan Historical #2)
  • Thunderstruck (Harlequin NASCAR, #4)
  • Hearts Under Caution (Harlequin NASCAR, #1)
  • On The Move (NASCAR, #6)
  • Teaming Up (Harlequin NASCAR, #26)
  • His Lady Mistress
  • Passion to Die For (Silhouette Romantic Suspense #1579)
  • Kiss Me Deadly (Bewitch the Dark #2)
Nancy Warren is the USA Today bestselling author of more than fifty novels.

She’s known for writing funny, sexy and suspenseful tales. She calls Vancouver, Canada home though she tends to wander. She’s an avid hiker, animal lover, wine drinker and chocolate fiend. Favorite moments in her career include being featured on the front page of the New York Times when she launched Harlequin’s NASCAR seri
More about Nancy Warren...

Harlequin NASCAR (1 - 10 of 51 books)
  • Hearts Under Caution (Harlequin NASCAR, #1)
  • Danger Zone (Harlequin NASCAR, #3)
  • Thunderstruck (Harlequin NASCAR, #4)
  • No Time to Lose (Harlequin NASCAR, #5)
  • Full Throttle (Harlequin NASCAR, #6)
  • Speed Bumps (Harlequin NASCAR, #7)
  • Back on Track (Harlequin NASCAR, #8)
  • Almost Famous (Harlequin NASCAR, #9)
  • Old Flame, New Sparks (Harlequin NASCAR, #10)
  • Legends and Lies (Harlequin NASCAR, #11)
Bad Boys On Board (Includes: Watson Brothers, #1) Bad Boys With Expensive Toys Frosted Shadow (Toni Diamond Mysteries #1) Bad Boys Down Under Kiss a Girl in the Rain (Take a Chance)